Thanks and Feature suggestion

MattPWalker
Hi all,

My brother was looking for a free calander app and naturally I thought
there would be a mozilla team developing one so a quick search revealed
Sunbird.

He's been using Sunbird for a couple of weeks now and extends great
Kudos for the project so far and the great dedication and commitment
this community show towards open development and high quality software.

My brother had a couple of suggestions which he commented to me about
and asked if there was any way to pass them on to the development team.
 I thought this the most appropriet place to post them.  If there's a
better please point me towards it.

1. He suggests that different colours for different categories would be
a simple but effective means to differentiate between different kinds
of events quickly and easily.  For example.  Birthdays - blue,
Assignments - Red, Romantic Dates - pink ;).

2. Someway to easily recognise events that span multiple days (this
would be helped by suggestion 1).  Perhaps having a graphic which spans
across the edge of day borders (so for month view, a solid bar would
extend across multiple days)

3.With tasks we've noticed that they don't get automatically updated in
the view even when "Tasks in View" is ticked.  Having them
automatically update into the calendar view would be great!

Obviously this program is in constant evolution and we don't want to
tread on any toes or seem ungreatful by suggesting stuff but often
suggestions from actual users are fuel for furthur progress...Thanks
again for a great program and let me know if my brothers suggestions or
comments are unclear or unwelcome.

Kind Regards

Matthew Walker
Brisbane
Australia

Re: Thanks and Feature suggestion

Simon Paquet
[hidden email] wrote on 20.10.2005:

> My brother had a couple of suggestions which he commented to me about
> and asked if there was any way to pass them on to the development team.
> I thought this the most appropriet place to post them.  If there's a
> better please point me towards it.
>
> 1. He suggests that different colours for different categories would be
> a simple but effective means to differentiate between different kinds
> of events quickly and easily.  For example.  Birthdays - blue,
> Assignments - Red, Romantic Dates - pink ;).

This is possible in current nightly builds. There you can choose in the
options dialog, which colors you want to associate with different
categories.

See http://www.babylonsounds.com/sunbird/category_pref.png for a
screenshot of this functionality.

--
Simon Paquet

Re: Thanks and Feature suggestion

Moritz 'Morty' Strübe
Simon Paquet wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote on 20.10.2005:
>
>> My brother had a couple of suggestions which he commented to me about
>> and asked if there was any way to pass them on to the development team.
>> I thought this the most appropriet place to post them.  If there's a
>> better please point me towards it.
>>
>> 1. He suggests that different colours for different categories would be
>> a simple but effective means to differentiate between different kinds
>> of events quickly and easily.  For example.  Birthdays - blue,
>> Assignments - Red, Romantic Dates - pink ;).
>
> This is possible in current nightly builds. There you can choose in the
> options dialog, which colors you want to associate with different
> categories.
>
> See http://www.babylonsounds.com/sunbird/category_pref.png for a
> screenshot of this functionality.

You don't eaven need nightlies if you know CSS. Have a look at the FAQ
at wiki.mozilla.org

Morty

Re: Thanks and Feature suggestion

mistofeles

Here is some suggestions. Everything is written in positive attitude.

> 1. He suggests that different colours for different categories would be
> a simple but effective means to differentiate between different kinds
> of events quickly and easily.  For example.  Birthdays - blue,
> Assignments - Red, Romantic Dates - pink ;).
PTM: Playboy calendar had small icons for that and it was very nice feature.

> 2. Someway to easily recognise events that span multiple days..
PTM: I'd appreciate this kind of indication too.

> Obviously this program is in constant evolution and we don't want to
> tread on any toes or seem ungreatful by suggesting stuff but often
> suggestions from actual users are fuel for furthur progress...Thanks
> again for a great program and let me know if my brothers suggestions or
> comments are unclear or unwelcome.
PTM: I'll underwrite this

PTM: Still some suggestions:
In Palm there is on more nice feature: events without time. This is
nice. Specially when you have a task that has recurrence of many days.

In Playboy there was a bunch of ready made printout models and you could
even make your own. You could print a pocket calendar with margins for
holes,

One super valuable thing in Sunbird is the possibility to export
selected items in RTF format. This makes it possible to make a history
book or a log book in the boat. It is so valuable, that I would like to
have it in the taskbar.
Still I would like to have it modifiable and the various templates
selectable. I do need templates for 'vacation', 'log book of S/Y
Paloma', 'work', 'home'. Now there is only headers 'Title, When, Where'
there could be also 'links' and 'external files'
- It seems that Tasks cannot be exported to RTF
- I would like to select by click somewhere which titles to include
- I would like to select which calendars to include. Some other time I
would like to select only some events.
- There is this 'Where' -header. Could it be possible to get Lat/Lon
straight from my GPS ?
- *Futuware* - it could be nice to connect an external chart program so
that a link gives Lat/Lon to the viewer which shows the 'Where' in the
chart.
- RTF can include pictures from the external files.

What I said before can be said about the html-format too. It is a bit
anemic. What would be nice is:
- Option for a style template including TITLE, HEADER BAR, BACKROUND,
FOOTERBAR, INCLUDE FILE IN THE BEGINNING, INCLUDE FILE IN THE END.
- Option for the file type: HTM, HTML, SHTML.
(I'm using a standard minimum page when I'm making new pages. It is
allways SHTML having a call for counter and date of Last modification in
the title line)

A project calendar with horisontal lines would be a nice way to show
recurrency of events. I have called this 'vacation calendar'. It should
have an options 'Show only recurrencies longer than n days' and 'show
untimed events' and 'show timed events'

It would be nice to add links to calendar. Either web or external text
files. The picture files could be external so that you see the pictures
by external viewer by clicking an icon of the picture. There could even
be icons in the 'views' telling about an alarm, a link and recurrence.

Could there be an address book and a possibility to make two direction
links between addres book and calendar (and mozilla mail)

Now, for some reason, if I add an URL in Edit event window and click
'Visit URL' I only get another Sunbird open.

In 'Week View' there is no pointer to show 'Today'

A 'Today' icon would be nice in toolbar

In Calendar Options 'My Timezone' is meaningless if we could read the
time from the system clock. Another thing is, if there could be a means
to add an external time so that we could somehow see whats the time in
our office in the other end of the world.

In Calendar Options 'Publishing' there could be some help and info,
about what does this option mean.

In the Taskbar the Help is empty. I know there will be a day...