Thanks, Congress

1234 ... 10

Thanks, Congress

Ed Mullen-9
So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So, off
to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had to
choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.

1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated) $24.97
1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor) $1.58

There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was $35.90.
  To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Thanks, Congress

RAV-2
On 11/14/2014 12:03 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
> the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So, off
> to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had to
> choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.
>
> 1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
> 1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated) $24.97
> 1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor) $1.58
>
> There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was $35.90.
>   To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!

Not sure where you live (perhaps in an area with local laws prohibiting
sale of incandescent lamps?), but my local Home Depot still has
incandescent flood light bulbs, and so do online sites such as
Amazon.com and homedepot.com.

Re: Thanks, Congress

Ed Mullen-9
Rav wrote on 11/14/2014 12:20 PM:

> On 11/14/2014 12:03 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
>> the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So, off
>> to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had to
>> choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.
>>
>> 1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
>> 1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated)
>> $24.97
>> 1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor) $1.58
>>
>> There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was $35.90.
>>   To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!
>>

> Not sure where you live (perhaps in an area with local laws prohibiting
> sale of incandescent lamps?), but my local Home Depot still has
> incandescent flood light bulbs, and so do online sites such as
> Amazon.com and homedepot.com.

Neither HD nor Lowe's had a 75w incandescent. They some other wattage
but very few.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Thanks, Congress

WaltS48
On 11/14/2014 12:03 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
> the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So,
> off to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had
> to choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.
>
> 1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
> 1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated)
> $24.97
> 1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor) $1.58
>
> There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was
> $35.90.  To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!

Now look and see how much you save on your electric bill. You will
probably recover the cost of the replacement several times, over the
extended life of the bulb.

I don't have any dimmers in my apartment and have replaced every
incandescent bulb with Cree LED bulbs @ ~ $6.97 a bulb for 10 bulbs is ~
$69.70 for up to 85% less energy use.

Wonder if I will still be alive when one burns out.

Yes, thanks Congress and the President that signed the bill into law!

Re: Thanks, Congress

Frank-32
On 11/14/2014 12:03 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
> the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So, off
> to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had to
> choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.
>
> 1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
> 1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated) $24.97
> 1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor) $1.58
>
> There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was $35.90.
>   To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!

Welcome to the world of one size fits all.
I like saving money with CFL's but found some noisy, bad light and short
life in places like bathroom where light is turned on and off frequently.
I generally like them but don't like being forced to use them where not
practical.
This is what happens when you put all decisions in the hands of the
government.

Re: Thanks, Congress

W3BNR
On 11/14/2014 12:03 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
> the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So, off
> to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had to
> choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.
>
> 1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
> 1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated) $24.97
> 1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor) $1.58
>
> There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was $35.90.
>  To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!

And I still use the old "Plug 'n Power" system for security lighting in
many areas.  It only works properly on incandescent bulbs.  I slight
current going through the bulb is need for it to function properly.  Not
enough to cause the tungsten filament to light, but enough to cause
early demise of the CFL and LED circuitry.

Looks like it's time for a new lighting system.

--
Ed, W3BNR
HTTP://JonesFarm.us/W3BNR

"There are many intelligent creatures in the Universe.
Unfortunately none of them are in Congress."

Re: Thanks, Congress

RAV-2
On 11/14/2014 12:43 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> Rav wrote on 11/14/2014 12:20 PM:
>> On 11/14/2014 12:03 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
>>> the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So, off
>>> to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had to
>>> choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.
>>>
>>> 1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
>>> 1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated)
>>> $24.97
>>> 1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor)
>>> $1.58
>>>
>>> There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was $35.90.
>>>   To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!
>>>

>> Not sure where you live (perhaps in an area with local laws prohibiting
>> sale of incandescent lamps?), but my local Home Depot still has
>> incandescent flood light bulbs, and so do online sites such as
>> Amazon.com and homedepot.com.
>
> Neither HD nor Lowe's had a 75w incandescent. They some other wattage
> but very few.

Not trying to argue, trying to help.  At www.homedepot.com I searched on
    75w incandescent flood lamp   and it came up with a few Philips 75W
Halogen PAR30 flood light bulbs.  Not sure if PAR30 is the size you
need.  Some were available in (my) store, but all were available online.
  IN CASE you're not familiar with halogen bulbs, they are incandescent
bulbs but contain a small amount of a halogen which increases the life
of the bulb.

Re: Thanks, Congress

EE-2
Ed Mullen wrote:

> So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
> the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So, off
> to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had to
> choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.
>
> 1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
> 1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated) $24.97
> 1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor) $1.58
>
> There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was $35.90.
>   To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!

But that bulb will last a lot longer.

Re: Thanks, Congress

Frank-32
On 11/14/2014 3:28 PM, Rav wrote:

> On 11/14/2014 12:43 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Rav wrote on 11/14/2014 12:20 PM:

>>> Not sure where you live (perhaps in an area with local laws prohibiting
>>> sale of incandescent lamps?), but my local Home Depot still has
>>> incandescent flood light bulbs, and so do online sites such as
>>> Amazon.com and homedepot.com.
>>
>> Neither HD nor Lowe's had a 75w incandescent. They some other wattage
>> but very few.
>>

> Not trying to argue, trying to help.  At www.homedepot.com I searched on
>     75w incandescent flood lamp   and it came up with a few Philips 75W
> Halogen PAR30 flood light bulbs.  Not sure if PAR30 is the size you
> need.  Some were available in (my) store, but all were available online.
>   IN CASE you're not familiar with halogen bulbs, they are incandescent
> bulbs but contain a small amount of a halogen which increases the life
> of the bulb.

Might point out, as a clerk at Lowes pointed out to me, that the store
cannot stock the million items or so in the catalog.  Most stores now
have on line ordering with store delivery for pick-up at no shipping cost.

Re: Thanks, Congress

James Silverton-3
On 11/14/2014 5:06 PM, Frank wrote:

> On 11/14/2014 3:28 PM, Rav wrote:

>>> Neither HD nor Lowe's had a 75w incandescent. They some other wattage
>>> but very few.
>>>

>> Not trying to argue, trying to help.  At www.homedepot.com I searched on
>>     75w incandescent flood lamp   and it came up with a few Philips 75W
>> Halogen PAR30 flood light bulbs.  Not sure if PAR30 is the size you
>> need.  Some were available in (my) store, but all were available online.
>>   IN CASE you're not familiar with halogen bulbs, they are incandescent
>> bulbs but contain a small amount of a halogen which increases the life
>> of the bulb.
>
> Might point out, as a clerk at Lowes pointed out to me, that the store
> cannot stock the million items or so in the catalog.  Most stores now
> have on line ordering with store delivery for pick-up at no shipping cost.

I found a book I wanted on Barnes and Noble's web site. The price was
well discounted with free shipping. I then saw that I could pick it up
at the store so I went there and discovered that they did not intend to
give me the discount.....tough luck, B&N!

--

James Silverton ( NOT not.jim.silverton)

Re: Thanks, Congress

Joy Beeson
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:08:31 -0700, EE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But that bulb will last a lot longer.

Than sixteen years?

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Re: Thanks, Congress

Dennis-77
James Silverton wrote:

> On 11/14/2014 5:06 PM, Frank wrote:

>>> Not trying to argue, trying to help.  At www.homedepot.com I searched on
>>>     75w incandescent flood lamp   and it came up with a few Philips 75W
>>> Halogen PAR30 flood light bulbs.  Not sure if PAR30 is the size you
>>> need.  Some were available in (my) store, but all were available online.
>>>   IN CASE you're not familiar with halogen bulbs, they are incandescent
>>> bulbs but contain a small amount of a halogen which increases the life
>>> of the bulb.
>>
>> Might point out, as a clerk at Lowes pointed out to me, that the store
>> cannot stock the million items or so in the catalog.  Most stores now
>> have on line ordering with store delivery for pick-up at no shipping cost.
>
> I found a book I wanted on Barnes and Noble's web site. The price was
> well discounted with free shipping. I then saw that I could pick it up
> at the store so I went there and discovered that they did not intend to
> give me the discount.....tough luck, B&N!

I have ordered and paid online and then picked up at several store(s).
That was indicated and understood at the time of purchase online. I have
never tried B&N but I'll take free shipping any day as opposed to paying
extra for in store pickup.

Dennis

Re: Thanks, Congress

Ron Hunter
On 11/14/2014 11:47 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 11/14/2014 12:03 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
>> the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So,
>> off to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had
>> to choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.
>>
>> 1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
>> 1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated)
>> $24.97
>> 1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor) $1.58
>>
>> There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was
>> $35.90.  To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!
>>

> Now look and see how much you save on your electric bill. You will
> probably recover the cost of the replacement several times, over the
> extended life of the bulb.
>
> I don't have any dimmers in my apartment and have replaced every
> incandescent bulb with Cree LED bulbs @ ~ $6.97 a bulb for 10 bulbs is ~
> $69.70 for up to 85% less energy use.
>
> Wonder if I will still be alive when one burns out.
>
> Yes, thanks Congress and the President that signed the bill into law!
I did notice a significant decrease in my electric bill for a couple of
months after switching to all CFL bulbs, but it quickly evaporated when
the electric company raised my pricing from 8.5 cents to 13.5 cents per
kWH.  You can't win.

Re: Thanks, Congress

Ron Hunter
On 11/14/2014 3:08 PM, EE wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
>> the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So, off
>> to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had to
>> choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.
>>
>> 1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
>> 1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated)
>> $24.97
>> 1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor) $1.58
>>
>> There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was $35.90.
>>   To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!
>>

> But that bulb will last a lot longer.

Maybe an LED bulb would have been better.  The price of them is coming
down rapidly.
They last longer, and save even more electricity than CFLs, and have
less toxic materials.

Re: Thanks, Congress

James Silverton-3
On 11/14/2014 8:57 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 11/14/2014 3:08 PM, EE wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
>>> the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So, off
>>> to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had to
>>> choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.
>>>
>>> 1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
>>> 1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated)
>>> $24.97
>>> 1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor)
>>> $1.58
>>>
>>> There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was $35.90.
>>>   To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!
>>>

>> But that bulb will last a lot longer.
>>
> Maybe an LED bulb would have been better.  The price of them is coming
> down rapidly.
> They last longer, and save even more electricity than CFLs, and have
> less toxic materials.

I have a dimmer for the outside lights of my house and it seems to emit
high frequency that will quickly kill CFL's on the same breaker.
However, an LED give no trouble and seems to ignore the high frequency
signals.

Rav wrote on 11/14/2014 3:28 PM:

> On 11/14/2014 12:43 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Rav wrote on 11/14/2014 12:20 PM:

>>> Not sure where you live (perhaps in an area with local laws prohibiting
>>> sale of incandescent lamps?), but my local Home Depot still has
>>> incandescent flood light bulbs, and so do online sites such as
>>> Amazon.com and homedepot.com.
>>
>> Neither HD nor Lowe's had a 75w incandescent. They some other wattage
>> but very few.
>>

> Not trying to argue, trying to help.  At www.homedepot.com I searched on
>     75w incandescent flood lamp   and it came up with a few Philips 75W
> Halogen PAR30 flood light bulbs.  Not sure if PAR30 is the size you
> need.  Some were available in (my) store, but all were available online.
>   IN CASE you're not familiar with halogen bulbs, they are incandescent
> bulbs but contain a small amount of a halogen which increases the life
> of the bulb.

Thanks but that wasn't my point.  Which is that the law/congress
effectively changed retail options without any competitive influence.
That is, not free market influence.

I got screwed, you got screwed.

Yes, they have reversed the law.  No.  The stores haven't responded.
Yes, we all are still screwed.

Government is good at very little.  Almost nothing.  If they can't wage
war effectively they ought not to be making laws about light bulbs.

Idiots.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Thanks, Congress

Ed Mullen-9
Ron Hunter wrote on 11/14/2014 9:00 PM:

> On 11/14/2014 11:47 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 11/14/2014 12:03 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
>>> the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So,
>>> off to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had
>>> to choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.
>>>
>>> 1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
>>> 1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated)
>>> $24.97
>>> 1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor)
>>> $1.58
>>>
>>> There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was
>>> $35.90.  To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!
>>>

>> Now look and see how much you save on your electric bill. You will
>> probably recover the cost of the replacement several times, over the
>> extended life of the bulb.
>>
>> I don't have any dimmers in my apartment and have replaced every
>> incandescent bulb with Cree LED bulbs @ ~ $6.97 a bulb for 10 bulbs is ~
>> $69.70 for up to 85% less energy use.
>>
>> Wonder if I will still be alive when one burns out.
>>
>> Yes, thanks Congress and the President that signed the bill into law!
> I did notice a significant decrease in my electric bill for a couple of
> months after switching to all CFL bulbs, but it quickly evaporated when
> the electric company raised my pricing from 8.5 cents to 13.5 cents per
> kWH.  You can't win.

And years ago when this first happened I bought CFLs.  The first two I
bought burned out in about two months.  So much for savings.

I'm not arguing about efficiency.  I'm arguing about government trying
to mandate it.  They never get it right.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Thanks, Congress

Ed Mullen-9
James Silverton wrote on 11/14/2014 9:54 PM:

> On 11/14/2014 8:57 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> But that bulb will last a lot longer.
>>>
>> Maybe an LED bulb would have been better.  The price of them is coming
>> down rapidly.
>> They last longer, and save even more electricity than CFLs, and have
>> less toxic materials.
>>
> I have a dimmer for the outside lights of my house and it seems to emit
> high frequency that will quickly kill CFL's on the same breaker.
> However, an LED give no trouble and seems to ignore the high frequency
> signals.

Hence the new dimmer. I happened to chat with a guy at Lowe's and he
asked if my dimmer was rated for CFLs.  I noted it was 16 years old and
he said:  "Replace it.  It will dim the CFL but they'll just burn out
faster."

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Thanks, Congress

Ed Mullen-9
Joy Beeson wrote on 11/14/2014 6:07 PM:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:08:31 -0700, EE <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> But that bulb will last a lot longer.
>
> Than sixteen years?

LOL.

Thanks, Joy.

EE wrote on 11/14/2014 4:08 PM:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> So, a few days ago I noticed one of the flood lights in the cans over
>> the kitchen island had burned out.  Shrug, it was 16 years old.  So, off
>> to Lowe's.  Where, in order to replace that old incandescent I had to
>> choose between LED or CFL.  Wanna know what it cost?  Here it is.
>>
>> 1 - 75w CFL flood light $14.98
>> 1 - CFL compatible dimmer (the 16-year old dimmer was not CFL rated)
>> $24.97
>> 1 - 2-gang switch cover (the new dimmer is a different form factor) $1.58
>>
>> There was some kind of weird discount involved so the total was $35.90.
>>   To replace A FREAKING LIGHT BULB!!!
>>

> But that bulb will last a lot longer.

You are clearly missing the point.