Text color/blink in 'search' function (Quantum)

Text color/blink in 'search' function (Quantum)

The Real Bev
When I use control-u I want to be able to find words in context. Right
now the results appear in light green on a white background -- nearly
invisible in a page of text -- which changes to white on a light blue
text background.. Is there some way to make the found text blink in a
chosen color to make it really easy to find?

I'm kind of desperate here...

--
Cheers, Bev
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity

Re: Text color/blink in 'search' function (Quantum)

RAV-2
On 2/27/2018 2:00 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> When I use control-u I want to be able to find words in context. Right
> now the results appear in light green on a white background -- nearly
> invisible in a page of text -- which changes to white on a light blue
> text background.. Is there some way to make the found text blink in a
> chosen color to make it really easy to find?
>
> I'm kind of desperate here...

You can use the ui.textSelectBackgroundAttention preference in
about:config.  If it's not already there, add it as a new String.  It's
value is the hex color of the background of the found text.  For
example, setting it to #FF0000 makes the found text white on a red
background.  You can play with the color, of course. I don't think
there's any way to do blinking though; at least, I don't know of any.

Note that this will not only affect what you see when viewing source
(Ctrl+U), but will also affect what you see when searching in mail/news
messages themselves.

 From Googling, there also appear to be other text selection color
preferences, but I haven't investigated them:

ui.textSelectBackground
ui.textSelectBackgroundDisabled
ui.textSelectForeground
ui.textBackground
ui.textForeground
ui.textHighlightBackground
ui.textHighlightForeground

Hope this helps.

On 2/27/2018 4:55 PM, Rav wrote:

> On 2/27/2018 2:00 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> When I use control-u I want to be able to find words in context. Right
>> now the results appear in light green on a white background -- nearly
>> invisible in a page of text -- which changes to white on a light blue
>> text background.. Is there some way to make the found text blink in a
>> chosen color to make it really easy to find?
>>
>> I'm kind of desperate here...
>>

> You can use the ui.textSelectBackgroundAttention preference in
> about:config.  If it's not already there, add it as a new String.  It's
> value is the hex color of the background of the found text.  For
> example, setting it to #FF0000 makes the found text white on a red
> background.  You can play with the color, of course. I don't think
> there's any way to do blinking though; at least, I don't know of any.
>
> Note that this will not only affect what you see when viewing source
> (Ctrl+U), but will also affect what you see when searching in mail/news
> messages themselves.
>
>  From Googling, there also appear to be other text selection color
> preferences, but I haven't investigated them:
>
> ui.textSelectBackground
> ui.textSelectBackgroundDisabled
> ui.textSelectForeground
> ui.textBackground
> ui.textForeground
> ui.textHighlightBackground
> ui.textHighlightForeground
>
> Hope this helps.

I should have mentioned that this works both in Firefox and Thunderbird.

On 02/27/2018 01:55 PM, Rav wrote:

> On 2/27/2018 2:00 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> When I use control-u I want to be able to find words in context. Right
>> now the results appear in light green on a white background -- nearly
>> invisible in a page of text -- which changes to white on a light blue
>> text background.. Is there some way to make the found text blink in a
>> chosen color to make it really easy to find?
>>
>> I'm kind of desperate here...
>>

> You can use the ui.textSelectBackgroundAttention preference in
> about:config.  If it's not already there, add it as a new String.  It's
> value is the hex color of the background of the found text.  For
> example, setting it to #FF0000 makes the found text white on a red
> background.  You can play with the color, of course. I don't think
> there's any way to do blinking though; at least, I don't know of any.
>
> Note that this will not only affect what you see when viewing source
> (Ctrl+U), but will also affect what you see when searching in mail/news
> messages themselves.

That's fine, I'll give it a shot.  Thanks.

--
Cheers, Bev
   "We've got some stupid people out there. This morning, I woke

On 02/27/2018 02:08 PM, Rav wrote:

> On 2/27/2018 4:55 PM, Rav wrote:
>> On 2/27/2018 2:00 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> When I use control-u I want to be able to find words in context. Right
>>> now the results appear in light green on a white background -- nearly
>>> invisible in a page of text -- which changes to white on a light blue
>>> text background.. Is there some way to make the found text blink in a
>>> chosen color to make it really easy to find?
>>>
>>> I'm kind of desperate here...
>>>

>> You can use the ui.textSelectBackgroundAttention preference in
>> about:config.  If it's not already there, add it as a new String.  It's
>> value is the hex color of the background of the found text.  For
>> example, setting it to #FF0000 makes the found text white on a red
>> background.  You can play with the color, of course. I don't think
>> there's any way to do blinking though; at least, I don't know of any.
>>
>> Note that this will not only affect what you see when viewing source
>> (Ctrl+U), but will also affect what you see when searching in mail/news
>> messages themselves.
>>
>>  From Googling, there also appear to be other text selection color
>> preferences, but I haven't investigated them:
>>
>> ui.textSelectBackground
>> ui.textSelectBackgroundDisabled
>> ui.textSelectForeground
>> ui.textBackground
>> ui.textForeground
>> ui.textHighlightBackground
>> ui.textHighlightForeground
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> I should have mentioned that this works both in Firefox and Thunderbird.

Good to know.

This works in interesting ways.  Sometimes something is defined as
'foreground' and on other pages or other areas on a page it's defined as
'background' and in other places there is no change at all.  I'm using
red and magenta for the 'Select' colors, which shows up nicely -- I
don't really care about reading the item I search for, I just want to
know where it is.

Thanks again!

--
Cheers, Bev
   If it weren't for pain, we wouldn't have any fun at all.