Quantcast

Testing tools for Firefox

Julio Cesar Faracco
Hi guys,

Sorry for my last HTML email.
Here the current email client does not support properly Plain Text.

Here, we usually customize the ESR version including some important Add-Ons
and other preferences and customizations for employees.

Well, as part of this process we test the Firefox UI each time that a new Firefox ESR is released.
We spent many days testing the UI and it is very boring and mechanical.

Do you know how we can automate this kind of testing?
I mean official testing tools to create automate tests for UI?
I don't want to spend many days testing several URLs, if Java and Flash are working properly, etc...

I know that source:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/QA/Automated_testing

But there are so many tools and I'm lost with so many options.

Julio Cesar Faracco

Re: Testing tools for Firefox

Henrik Skupin-3
Julio Cesar Faracco wrote on 16/11/16 13:20:

Hello Julio,

> Do you know how we can automate this kind of testing?
> I mean official testing tools to create automate tests for UI?
> I don't want to spend many days testing several URLs, if Java and Flash are working properly, etc...
>
> I know that source:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/QA/Automated_testing
>
> But there are so many tools and I'm lost with so many options.

I'm sure that I have the answer for you. When you have a look at the
above automated testing page again you will find Marionette. It's a test
framework created to drive various kind of tests, but can also be used
for UI driven tests. As of now we only support Python for writing tests.
But I hope that should be fine with you. Under the hood it uses the
webdriver protocol (https://w3c.github.io/webdriver/webdriver-spec.html)
to communicate with Firefox, which is also used by Selenium 3.0 via
geckodriver. Maybe that sounds familiar to you.

So specifically for testing the Firefox UI we are using Marionette and
built another harness on top, which is Firefox UI tests
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/QA/firefox-ui-tests).
Those tests make use of an optional ui helper package called Firefox
Puppeteer. It allows you to interact with the UI in a very easy fashion
like:

> new_win = self.browser.open_browser(is_private=True)
> new_win.navbar.tabbar.open_tab(trigger='menu')

I have to add that we do not have that much coverage in that library
yet, given that there are some upcoming changes. But it might be
something you want to have a look at. Try to run our tests and let me
know If it satisfies your needs. If yes, I can give some more information.

Best,

--
Henrik Skupin
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Testing tools for Firefox

Andreas Tolfsen
On Fri, 2016-11-18 at 18:25 +0100, Henrik Skupin wrote:
> When you have a look at the above automated testing page again you
> will find Marionette. It's a test framework created to drive various
> kind of tests, but can also be used for UI driven tests. As of now we
> only support Python for writing tests.

It is possible to use Marionette (the server) through geckodriver with
any language that has an HTTP request and JSON library.  It is only the
internal Mozilla test harnesses that are limited to Python.

geckodriver provides an implementation of the WebDriver protocol with
Firefox-only extensions to interact with chrome context.  It is this
capability that enables it to be used for UI interaction.