Test your Internet speed (Requires HTML5 capable browser)

Test your Internet speed (Requires HTML5 capable browser)

WaltS-3
Just came across this test in a forum.

http://speedof.me/

--
Thunderbird Beta | openSUSE 12.1 Linux
Get openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/121/en

Re: Test your Internet speed (Requires HTML5 capable browser)

David H. Lipman-2
From: "WLS" <[hidden email]>

> Just came across this test in a forum.
>
> http://speedof.me/

It doesn't test upload speed.  I'll stick with Speakeasy's test.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Re: Test your Internet speed (Requires HTML5 capable browser)

defaria
From: "WLS" [hidden email]

It also seems to report my speed at about 1/2 the speed reported by http://www.dslreports.com/stest?flash=1 and http://speedtest.net/.
--
Andrew DeFaria
I swear by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine

Re: Test your Internet speed (Requires HTML5 capable browser)

clay-14
On 03/07/2012 8:14 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> On 03/07/2012 07:08 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "WLS" <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Just came across this test in a forum.
>>>
>>> http://speedof.me/
>>>

>> It doesn't test upload speed. I'll stick with Speakeasy's test.
> It also seems to report my speed at about 1/2 the speed reported by
> http://www.dslreports.com/stest?flash=1 and http://speedtest.net/.
> <http://speedtest.net/>

add 2wire.com to your list...

On 03/07/2012 11:14 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> On 03/07/2012 07:08 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "WLS" <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Just came across this test in a forum.
>>>
>>> http://speedof.me/
>>>

>> It doesn't test upload speed.  I'll stick with Speakeasy's test.
> It also seems to report my speed at about 1/2 the speed reported by
> http://www.dslreports.com/stest?flash=1 and http://speedtest.net/.
> <http://speedtest.net/>

Was a little off on mine, but not by much.

I did not claim it was perfect, just provided the link. Perhaps to show
the evolution of HTML5. Flash and Java will be going away.

--
Thunderbird Beta | openSUSE 12.1 Linux
Get openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/121/en
Humans aren't a color of skin, a religion, a sex, a sexual orientation,
or a flag. We are human beings and that is how we need to see and treat
each other. - Justin Sane

Re: Test your Internet speed (Requires HTML5 capable browser)

GerardJan-8
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

From: "WLS" <[hidden email]>

> On 03/07/2012 11:14 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> On 03/07/2012 07:08 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
>>> From: "WLS" <[hidden email]>

>>> It doesn't test upload speed.  I'll stick with Speakeasy's test.
>> It also seems to report my speed at about 1/2 the speed reported by
>> http://www.dslreports.com/stest?flash=1 and http://speedtest.net/.
>> <http://speedtest.net/>
>
> Was a little off on mine, but not by much.
>
> I did not claim it was perfect, just provided the link. Perhaps to show
> the evolution of HTML5. Flash and Java will be going away.

Flash is going away.  Java is not.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Re: Test your Internet speed (Requires HTML5 capable browser)

PhillipJones
David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "WLS" <[hidden email]>

>>> It also seems to report my speed at about 1/2 the speed reported by
>>> http://www.dslreports.com/stest?flash=1 and http://speedtest.net/.
>>> <http://speedtest.net/>
>>
>> Was a little off on mine, but not by much.
>>
>> I did not claim it was perfect, just provided the link. Perhaps to show
>> the evolution of HTML5. Flash and Java will be going away.
>>

> Flash is going away. Java is not.

Does the same people have a Ping and Jitter tester?  similar to Pingtest.com

I have issues with my 3 MB DSL  having poor quality at times Ping rate
and Jitter rate is extremely high. And my Download speed varies from
around 2.8 MB to 450 KB and Ping rate over a 1000 and jitter sometimes
as high as 200-300.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:[hidden email]

On 03/07/2012 11:37 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "WLS" <[hidden email]>

>>> It also seems to report my speed at about 1/2 the speed reported by
>>> http://www.dslreports.com/stest?flash=1 and http://speedtest.net/.
>>> <http://speedtest.net/>
>>
>> Was a little off on mine, but not by much.
>>
>> I did not claim it was perfect, just provided the link. Perhaps to show
>> the evolution of HTML5. Flash and Java will be going away.
>>

> Flash is going away.  Java is not.

 I stand corrected. The need for a java plugin is going away. ;)

GerardJan wrote:

> David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "WLS" <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Just came across this test in a forum.
>>>
>>> http://speedof.me/
>>>

>> It doesn't test upload speed. I'll stick with Speakeasy's test.
>>

> upto 3Mbit/sec on D-link Wifi, on micro-soft only g of b/g/n not bad

My upload rate which is important to me because I maintain a website. On
my DSL at a 2.8 MB download its never more than 450 Kb.

CONTENTS DELETED

From: "PhillipJones" <[hidden email]>

> Does the same people have a Ping and Jitter tester?  similar to
> Pingtest.com
>
> I have issues with my 3 MB DSL  having poor quality at times Ping rate and
> Jitter rate is extremely high. And my Download speed varies from around
> 2.8 MB to 450 KB and Ping rate over a 1000 and jitter sometimes as high as
> 200-300.

See what this service indicates...
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

From: "GerardJan" <[hidden email]>

> WLS wrote:
>> On 03/07/2012 11:37 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
>>> From: "WLS"<[hidden email]>

>>> Flash is going away.  Java is not.
>>>
>>   I stand corrected. The need for a java plugin is going away. ;)
>>
> get it from sun.java.com
>
> sincerely

Actually, Oracle.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Re: Test your Internet speed (Requires HTML5 capable browser)

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
3/7/2012 11:30 AM:
> From: "WLS" <[hidden email]>

[snip /]

>>  I stand corrected. The need for a java plugin is going away. ;)
>
> That's not true either.  There are many web based apps that use it
> including Oracle based web apps.

Yes, it is. I haven't seen a need for Java for several years. I suspect
that was part of the reason that Mozilla stopped bundling it with their
browser some time ago. Your reference to Oracle is a bit disingenuous
considering that Oracle owns Java. The real question is how many folks
have a need for Oracle based web apps, no?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Test your Internet speed (Requires HTML5 capable browser)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
WLS wrote:
> Just came across this test in a forum.
>
> http://speedof.me/

Way off.  My download speed is 13Mbps and that site says I'm only 8Mbps.
Yes, I tested both my ISP's testing site, and your web site within a
30-second span of time.

--
    -bts

From: "Sailfish" <[hidden email]>

> My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
> 3/7/2012 11:30 AM:
>> From: "WLS" <[hidden email]>
>>
> [snip /]
>
>>>  I stand corrected. The need for a java plugin is going away. ;)
>>
>> That's not true either.  There are many web based apps that use it
>> including Oracle based web apps.
>>
> Yes, it is. I haven't seen a need for Java for several years. I suspect
> that was part of the reason that Mozilla stopped bundling it with their
> browser some time ago. Your reference to Oracle is a bit disingenuous
> considering that Oracle owns Java. The real question is how many folks
> have a need for Oracle based web apps, no?

Just because YOU "haven't seen a need for Java" does not mean that Java is
going away.  I can't tell you how many web based Oracle Databases I have
used that depend on Java.  Then there is OpenOffice / LibreOffice, Adobe
LifeCycle Designer and Lotus SameTime that use Java.

As for Oracle now owning Sun, Java is one reason why Oracle bought Sun.

I can't tell you how many apps used JInitiator prior to JRE v6.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Re: Test your Internet speed (Requires HTML5 capable browser)

Cy Burnot
David H. Lipman has written on 3/7/2012 2:29 PM:

> From: "PhillipJones" <[hidden email]>
>

>> Does the same people have a Ping and Jitter tester?  similar to
>> Pingtest.com
>>
>> I have issues with my 3 MB DSL  having poor quality at times Ping rate and
>> Jitter rate is extremely high. And my Download speed varies from around
>> 2.8 MB to 450 KB and Ping rate over a 1000 and jitter sometimes as high as
>> 200-300.
>>

> See what this service indicates...
> http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

Holy moley, Batman!!! Who understands that report or knows what to do
with it???

From: "Cy Burnot" <[hidden email]>

> David H. Lipman has written on 3/7/2012 2:29 PM:
>> From: "PhillipJones" <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Does the same people have a Ping and Jitter tester?  similar to
>>> Pingtest.com
>>>
>>> I have issues with my 3 MB DSL  having poor quality at times Ping rate
>>> and
>>> Jitter rate is extremely high. And my Download speed varies from around
>>> 2.8 MB to 450 KB and Ping rate over a 1000 and jitter sometimes as high
>>> as
>>> 200-300.
>>>
>> See what this service indicates...
>> http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/
>
> Holy moley, Batman!!! Who understands that report or knows what to do
> with it???

I guess not you  ;-)

Robin and Batgirl understand it.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Re: Test your Internet speed (Requires HTML5 capable browser)

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
3/7/2012 12:54 PM:

> From: "Sailfish" <[hidden email]>
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
>> 3/7/2012 11:30 AM:
>>> From: "WLS" <[hidden email]>
>>>
>> [snip /]

>>> That's not true either.  There are many web based apps that use it
>>> including Oracle based web apps.
>>>
>> Yes, it is. I haven't seen a need for Java for several years. I
>> suspect that was part of the reason that Mozilla stopped bundling it
>> with their browser some time ago. Your reference to Oracle is a bit
>> disingenuous considering that Oracle owns Java. The real question is
>> how many folks have a need for Oracle based web apps, no?
>>

> Just because YOU "haven't seen a need for Java" does not mean that Java
> is going away.  I can't tell you how many web based Oracle Databases I
> have used that depend on Java.  Then there is OpenOffice / LibreOffice,
> Adobe LifeCycle Designer and Lotus SameTime that use Java.

Of course not. However, I do visit a huge amount of web sites daily,
including technical and mainstream ones and, nary a one has required
Java before I can use it.

> As for Oracle now owning Sun, Java is one reason why Oracle bought Sun.

Sure, and sooo?

> I can't tell you how many apps used JInitiator prior to JRE v6.

Here's a better idea, why not support your argument by providing a
sampling, say ten, of what you consider critical/important sites that
require the use of Java. Surely, that can't be too hard, no?

From: "Sailfish" <[hidden email]>

> My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
> 3/7/2012 12:54 PM:
>> From: "Sailfish" <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
>>> 3/7/2012 11:30 AM:
>>>>
>>> [snip /]

>>> Yes, it is. I haven't seen a need for Java for several years. I suspect
>>> that was part of the reason that Mozilla stopped bundling it with their
>>> browser some time ago. Your reference to Oracle is a bit disingenuous
>>> considering that Oracle owns Java. The real question is how many folks
>>> have a need for Oracle based web apps, no?
>>>
>> Just because YOU "haven't seen a need for Java" does not mean that Java
>> is going away.  I can't tell you how many web based Oracle Databases I
>> have used that depend on Java.  Then there is OpenOffice / LibreOffice,
>> Adobe LifeCycle Designer and Lotus SameTime that use Java.
>>
> Of course not. However, I do visit a huge amount of web sites daily,
> including technical and mainstream ones and, nary a one has required Java
> before I can use it.
>
>> As for Oracle now owning Sun, Java is one reason why Oracle bought Sun.
>>
> Sure, and sooo?
>
>> I can't tell you how many apps used JInitiator prior to JRE v6.
>>
> Here's a better idea, why not support your argument by providing a
> sampling, say ten, of what you consider critical/important sites that
> require the use of Java. Surely, that can't be too hard, no?

So now you are limiting Java to web sites that use Java ?  Using JVM on web
sites is but a limited scope.

I directly responded to the totally wrong statement "Flash and Java will be
going away."

I stated Flash is going away but not Java.  You also stated Mozilla bundled
Java.  No, they didn't.  JavaScript is a sibling of Java which have common
roots but but have branched out into two different software constructs.  My
understanding is Mozilla uses the original Netscape JavaScript interpreter

Java is NOT going away and there are many web sites that require it to name
a few

secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online
netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu
ndt.iupui.ams01.measurement-lab.org:7123
npad.iupui.mlab2.ams01.measurement-lab.org:8000
AKO Webmail and AKO Messenger

There are many apps in the .GOV and .MIL domains.

Many are used in Business (such as a IBM software)

The fact is it was stated Java is going away.  It is not.