Template customization does not work

BZUser
Following the instructions for customization at http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/3.0/html/cust-templates.html#template-edit, I created ..\custom\global in the template directory, and copied variables.none.tmpl into ..\custom\global. I then edited variables.none.tmpl %terms to change "bugs" to "requests", and change "Bugzilla" to "Resource Management". I then executed checksetup.pl, which returned no errors.

Upon a refresh of the bugzilla page(s), the changes were not there, nor were the original text. Blanks now populate where the original terms were. Other posts (http://fixunix.com/mozilla/414715-bugzilla-custom-template-problem.html)  suggest clearing the browser cache, which I did many times, as well as restarting apache and mysql, rebooting, trying several other computer browsers on the same local network, to no avail.

OS is XP, Bugzilla 4.0.2, MySQL 5.5, ActivPerl-5.12.4