Taking advantage of a ram disk

Dave Yeo-3
Bill, at one time you posted a how-to on using a ram disk to speed up
compilation. Do you remember or have it in your sent folder, what you
ended up putting on the ram disk?
Dave

Re: Taking advantage of a ram disk

Ian Manners-5
On 16/10/11 11:01, Dave Yeo wrote:
> Bill, at one time you posted a how-to on using a ram disk to speed up
> compilation. Do you remember or have it in your sent folder, what you
> ended up putting on the ram disk?
> Dave

Not sure about Bill but I put my temp, tmp, and Cache directories on my
R: RAM disk.

Cheers
Ian M

Re: Taking advantage of a ram disk

William L. Hartzell-2
Sir:

Dave Yeo wrote:
> Bill, at one time you posted a how-to on using a ram disk to speed up
> compilation. Do you remember or have it in your sent folder, what you
> ended up putting on the ram disk?
> Dave
All I was able to put on the RAM disk was the tool tree.  Attempting to
put the source tree on the disk ran out of file handles.  It was not
even a question of both and, or either or.  The source tree alone has
too many files.  I remember that I preformed this experiment on a
machine that had 384 MiB of memory, but believe that the file handle
problem is a ram disk limitation.  I just xcopied the files from the
tool drive to the ram disk, before doing the compile.  In some cases it
took longer than the compile itself to xcopy the files, but over all the
time was much less.  Since I've installed SSDs just about everywhere,
making a ram disk is not optimal any longer, because SSD are Ram disks
(and much large than the ram disk in question).  I've noticed that some
tools use %TMP% to stage their function.  It might be helpful to include
TMP on the RAM disk.  But only if there is enough file handles left.
Test as these tools leave pecker tracks in TMP (undeleted files).  And
yes, I deleted the RAM disk between runs.  Put everything into the
environment setup cmd file.
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/incoming/ramfs121.zip or wherever it might be
on Hobbes.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Re: Taking advantage of a ram disk

James Moe-3
On 10/15/2011 08:01 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
> Bill, at one time you posted a how-to on using a ram disk to speed up
> compilation. Do you remember or have it in your sent folder, what you
> ended up putting on the ram disk?

  Like Ian I pointed all of the temp directories to the RAM disk. Given
today's large RAM spaces, likely most if not all of the source files end
up the the disk cache (typically 64 MB).
  Another option to try is the "-j" option for make. -j controls how
many compilations run at the same time. This allows greater CPU
utilization by switching among processes during pauses for file I/O.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com

Ian Manners wrote:
> On 16/10/11 11:01, Dave Yeo wrote:
>> Bill, at one time you posted a how-to on using a ram disk to speed up
>> compilation. Do you remember or have it in your sent folder, what you
>> ended up putting on the ram disk?
>> Dave
>
> Not sure about Bill but I put my temp, tmp, and Cache directories on my
> R: RAM disk.

Yes, I've done that for a long time though I at first forgot to also add
tmpdir. Also helps cleanup %TMP% when rebooting.
I was thinking more of include paths, library paths and some binaries to
speed up compilation. It currently takes close to 4 hours to compile
trunk here with a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4. Since I also seem to usually have
about a quarter of a Gig of ram available it seems that could be put to use.
Dave