Quantcast

TB52 - how to debug addon, or NO "Remote Debugging"

TB52 - how to debug addon, or NO "Remote Debugging"

gNeandr-12
Need to debug a 'classic' addon for TB52.
With versions like TB45 enabling the "Remote Debugging" on TB gave
access from the FX console/debugger/etc.
TB52 doesn't offer the Remote Debugging .. or is there any other setup?

Re: TB52 - how to debug addon, or NO "Remote Debugging"

Jörg Knobloch
On 14/12/2016 01:06, gNeandr wrote:
> TB52 doesn't offer the Remote Debugging .. or is there any other setup?

That stuff has moved into the "Developer Tools" in TB 52 (which sadly
don't work right now, bug 1318737).

I assume remote debugging can be enabled in there, right, Philipp?

Jörg.

Re: TB52 - how to debug addon, or NO "Remote Debugging"

Philipp Kewisch-2
On 12/13/16 7:35 PM, Jörg Knobloch wrote:

> On 14/12/2016 01:06, gNeandr wrote:
>> TB52 doesn't offer the Remote Debugging .. or is there any other setup?
>
> That stuff has moved into the "Developer Tools" in TB 52 (which sadly
> don't work right now, bug 1318737).
>
> I assume remote debugging can be enabled in there, right, Philipp?
>
> Jörg.

Hi all,

The menu doesn't mean to expose the fact of remote debugging, given the
toolbox should just work. Remote debugging can still be enabled in
about:config and should actually be enabled by default because that is
what is needed for the toolbox. You just have to check which ports.

The new toolbox has been working fine for me on Mac, but we should
definitely get the Windows bugs fixed.

Philipp

Am 14.12.2016 um 06:00 schrieb Philipp Kewisch:

> On 12/13/16 7:35 PM, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
>> On 14/12/2016 01:06, gNeandr wrote:
>>> TB52 doesn't offer the Remote Debugging .. or is there any other setup?
>>
>> That stuff has moved into the "Developer Tools" in TB 52 (which sadly
>> don't work right now, bug 1318737).
>>
>> I assume remote debugging can be enabled in there, right, Philipp?
>>
>> Jörg.
>>

> Hi all,
>
> The menu doesn't mean to expose the fact of remote debugging, given the
> toolbox should just work. Remote debugging can still be enabled in
> about:config and should actually be enabled by default because that is
> what is needed for the toolbox. You just have to check which ports.
>
> The new toolbox has been working fine for me on Mac, but we should
> definitely get the Windows bugs fixed.
>
> Philipp

Running on Ubuntu
TB Version 52.0a2 / Build-ID 20161202004003
FX Version 52.0a2 / Build ID 20161212004004

with
FX devtools.debugger.remote-enabled;true
TB devtools.debugger.remote-enabled;true

On FX main menu --> Tools --> Web Developer --> Connect
will open the "Connect to remote device" with preset Host:localhost,
Port: 6000. Using [Connect] just gives "Unexpected error"

Any false step(s) here? Which (other) port?

On 12/14/16 5:02 PM, gNeandr wrote:

> Am 14.12.2016 um 06:00 schrieb Philipp Kewisch:
>>>
>>> That stuff has moved into the "Developer Tools" in TB 52 (which sadly
>>> don't work right now, bug 1318737).
>>>
>>> I assume remote debugging can be enabled in there, right, Philipp?
>>>
>>> Jörg.
>>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> The menu doesn't mean to expose the fact of remote debugging, given the
>> toolbox should just work. Remote debugging can still be enabled in
>> about:config and should actually be enabled by default because that is
>> what is needed for the toolbox. You just have to check which ports.
>>
>> The new toolbox has been working fine for me on Mac, but we should
>> definitely get the Windows bugs fixed.
>>
>> Philipp
>>

> Running on Ubuntu
> TB Version 52.0a2 / Build-ID 20161202004003
> FX Version 52.0a2 / Build ID 20161212004004
>
> with
> FX devtools.debugger.remote-enabled;true
> TB devtools.debugger.remote-enabled;true
>
> On FX main menu --> Tools --> Web Developer --> Connect
> will open the "Connect to remote device" with preset Host:localhost,
> Port: 6000. Using [Connect] just gives "Unexpected error"
>
> Any false step(s) here? Which (other) port?

Ok, here is a workaround:

1) Go to the connect page in Firefox, enter localhost port 6080. Do not
connect yet

2) Start the developer toolbox in Thunderbird using the menuitem

3) Switch to Firefox and press connect

I agree this is not ideal and needs to be fixed. It does indeed seem to
be a race condition of some sort.

Philipp