TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
PJ
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

PJ
Both Thunderbird 17.0.11and 24.8.1b1, and also any Seamonkey version
I've tried after SM 1.1.18, including the latest 2.21b1, keep crashing
when I try to open pdf-attachments. Sometimes they open without
problems, but mostly they result is a crash.
I'm using external apps, Gsview2 and Lucide, and both remain open
displaying the pdf correctly, but TB or SM crash.
Have tried SET MOZ_NO_RWS=1 and it makes no difference. Popuplog.os2 has
no entries from these crashes.
Exceptq 7.11-shl creates a trap report for TB 17.0.11, but not for the
other SM and TB versions.

Anyone else having this problem or know about a solution?

---

Exception Report - created 2014/11/06 14:56:20

  OS2/eCS Version:  2.45
  # of Processors:  8
  Physical Memory:  3575 mb
  Virt Addr Limit:  1536 mb
  Exceptq Version:  7.11-shl (Mar  3 2014)

Exception C0000005 - Access Violation

  Process:  D:\DOWNLOAD\THUNDERBIRD_17011ESRPRE\THUNDERBIRD THUNDERBIRD.EXE
  PID:      5C (92)
  TID:      01 (1)
  Priority: 200

  Filename: D:\DOWNLOAD\THUNDERBIRD_17011ESRPRE\THUNDERBIRD\XUL.DLL
06/19/2014 02:34:18 23,002,617
  Address:  005B:14F3DEB5 (0001:0054DEB5)
  Cause:    Attempted to read from 0000000C
            (not a valid address)
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Bob
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

Bob
I have had similar problems. There is something amiss in the handover to the
external exe. I reset the attachment options to 'WPS default' and then it worked
OK. But now, the option for pdf says 'Lucide' and it still works - mysteries.
Same problem with *.doc and Open Office. Same 'solution'.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
PJ
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

PJ
I have tried that too, but it didn't help.

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
PJ
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

PJ
Just tried Seamonkey 2.21b3 and it still crashes when opening
pdf-attachments. No trap report being created.

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

Dave Yeo-3
On 03/16/15 01:23 AM, PJ wrote:
> Just tried Seamonkey 2.21b3 and it still crashes when opening
> pdf-attachments. No trap report being created.
>

Try not using the download manager, Preferences --> browser -->
Downloads and change the button from Open the download manager to Open a
progress bar (or don't open anything)
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
PJ
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

PJ
In reply to this post by PJ
Dave Yeo wrote:
>
> Try not using the download manager, Preferences --> browser -->
> Downloads and change the button from Open the download manager to Open a
> progress bar (or don't open anything)
> Dave
>

Have tried that but still it crashes.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by PJ
On 03/16/15 01:23 AM, PJ wrote:
> Just tried Seamonkey 2.21b3 and it still crashes when opening
> pdf-attachments. No trap report being created.
>

Nothing in popup.log? Hope trp reports havent broke again :)
Have you tried testing with a new profile?
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
PJ
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

PJ
In reply to this post by PJ
Dave Yeo wrote:
>
> Nothing in popup.log? Hope trp reports havent broke again :)
> Have you tried testing with a new profile?
> Dave
>

Old or new profile do not create any trap reports and there is
nothing in popuplog.os2. Tested with 2 emails with one pdf-attachment
each, the first opened fine,  but trying to open the other one resulted
in a crash.
Exceptq did not work with 2.21b1 either :(

Per
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

Steve Wendt
On 3/18/2015 3:15 AM, PJ wrote:

> Tested with 2 emails with one pdf-attachment each, the first opened
> fine,  but trying to open the other one resulted in a crash.

FWIW, opening PDF attachments in the Windoze version doesn't work either
(although it doesn't crash - it just does nothing).  I suspect it's
somehow related to the built-in PDF support, since it did work in
earlier versions.  I haven't looked to see if there's anything in
Bugzilla about it, but there might be... let us know if you find
something related there!

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
PJ
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

PJ
Steve Wendt wrote:
>
> FWIW, opening PDF attachments in the Windoze version doesn't work either
> (although it doesn't crash - it just does nothing). I suspect it's
> somehow related to the built-in PDF support, since it did work in
> earlier versions. I haven't looked to see if there's anything in
> Bugzilla about it, but there might be... let us know if you find
> something related there!
>
It sometimes happen in OS2 as well, dbl-clicking the attachment and
nothing happens, but dbl-clicking a second time seems to always cause a
crash.
Forgot to mention that downloading files from Hobbes or other sites
also results in a crash. Sometimes it crashes when I click OK in the
dialog window where I choose where to save it, other times it crashes
right after clicking on the file to download.
Had a look at Bugzilla but didnt find anything.

There is something related in this thread, started 02.02.15.
news://news.mozilla.org:119/[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

Steve Wendt
On 3/18/2015 12:42 PM, PJ wrote:

>> FWIW, opening PDF attachments in the Windoze version doesn't work either
>> (although it doesn't crash - it just does nothing).
>
> It sometimes happen in OS2 as well, dbl-clicking the attachment and
> nothing happens,

Right, I think this is a cross-platform bug.

> but dbl-clicking a second time seems to always cause a crash.
> Forgot to mention that downloading files from Hobbes or other sites
> also results in a crash.

While this is an OS/2-specific bug (or two bugs?).

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Steve Wendt
On 03/18/15 11:06 AM, Steve Wendt wrote:

> On 3/18/2015 3:15 AM, PJ wrote:
>
>> Tested with 2 emails with one pdf-attachment each, the first opened
>> fine,  but trying to open the other one resulted in a crash.
>
> FWIW, opening PDF attachments in the Windoze version doesn't work either
> (although it doesn't crash - it just does nothing).  I suspect it's
> somehow related to the built-in PDF support, since it did work in
> earlier versions.  I haven't looked to see if there's anything in
> Bugzilla about it, but there might be... let us know if you find
> something related there!

What I do is let the built-in PDF viewer load the file then right click
and choose to save the page, then use the WPS to open the saved PDF,
always works here.
Note that at one point I had to remove the PDF extension and reinstall
it for the PDF extension to work.
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by PJ
On 03/18/15 03:15 AM, PJ wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>>
>> Nothing in popup.log? Hope trp reports havent broke again :)
>> Have you tried testing with a new profile?
>> Dave
>>
>
> Old or new profile do not create any trap reports and there is
> nothing in popuplog.os2. Tested with 2 emails with one pdf-attachment
> each, the first opened fine,  but trying to open the other one resulted
> in a crash.
> Exceptq did not work with 2.21b1 either :(
>

I do have a report of TB producing trp reports, might even be the same
bug as you're experiencing. Unluckily nothing jumps out at me from the
report. I'm more of a builder/tester then a programmer
Dave



_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Steve Wendt
On 03/18/15 12:52 PM, Steve Wendt wrote:
>> but dbl-clicking a second time seems to always cause a crash.
>> Forgot to mention that downloading files from Hobbes or other sites
>> also results in a crash.
>
> While this is an OS/2-specific bug (or two bugs?).

The main bug seems related to the SM download manager though PJ seems to
have it bad enough that even not using the download manager helps.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

Steve Wendt
In reply to this post by Steve Wendt
On 3/18/2015 8:11 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

>> FWIW, opening PDF attachments in the Windoze version doesn't work either
>> (although it doesn't crash - it just does nothing).
>
> What I do is let the built-in PDF viewer load the file then right click
> and choose to save the page

It sounds like you are talking about the browser, not the mail client.
I've never seen the PDF viewer work with mail attachments.

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

Barbara-46
On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 18:01:42 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/18/2015 8:11 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
> >> FWIW, opening PDF attachments in the Windoze version doesn't work either
> >> (although it doesn't crash - it just does nothing).
> >
> > What I do is let the built-in PDF viewer load the file then right click
> > and choose to save the page
>
> It sounds like you are talking about the browser, not the mail client.
> I've never seen the PDF viewer work with mail attachments.
>

I use Thunderbird (Version 17 currently) for email and view PDF attachments similar
to the way that Dave described.  They don't automatically open in the email body, but
there's an "Attachment Pane" at the bottom which can be "Open" or "Hidden" to show
filenames by clicking on a little plus/minus box.  

Opening that pane and right clicking on the PDF filename allows me to Open, Save As,
Detach or Delete.  Selecting "Open" starts up Lucide in a new window, and there it
is.  (As usual, much easier to do than try to explain.)  

--
Barbara
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
PJ
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TB and SM crash opening pdf attachments

PJ
In reply to this post by Steve Wendt
Steve Wendt wrote:

> On 3/18/2015 8:11 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>>> FWIW, opening PDF attachments in the Windoze version doesn't work either
>>> (although it doesn't crash - it just does nothing).
>>
>> What I do is let the built-in PDF viewer load the file then right click
>> and choose to save the page
>
> It sounds like you are talking about the browser, not the mail client.
> I've never seen the PDF viewer work with mail attachments.
>
Just tried the built in pdf viewer and so far it works, but I receive
lots of pdf's as attachements and have to open them from the mail client.
Currently I'm using SM 2.7.2 for this and it is stable.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2