TB: Send without saving

Michael Reich-2
Wishlist readers,

I think it would be very useful to have a button that would
automatically send a message without automatically saving it. I know
this can be configured in TB preferences, but in general I still want to
save most of my emails by default. It would be great to be able to send
without saving (Shove?) just certain messages, for example those that
either have large attachments or are simple acknowledgments that have no
other value, etc. - though I don't want to have to specify criteria,
just to have a button to send without saving whatever I want.

If there's an extension that does this, I'd appreciate hearing about it!

Thanks,
Michael

Re: TB: Send without saving

EE-2
Michael Reich wrote:

> Wishlist readers,
>
> I think it would be very useful to have a button that would
> automatically send a message without automatically saving it. I know
> this can be configured in TB preferences, but in general I still want to
> save most of my emails by default. It would be great to be able to send
> without saving (Shove?) just certain messages, for example those that
> either have large attachments or are simple acknowledgments that have no
> other value, etc. - though I don't want to have to specify criteria,
> just to have a button to send without saving whatever I want.
>
> If there's an extension that does this, I'd appreciate hearing about it!
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Look in the Account Settings for the specific account and under "Copies
and Folders".  You can have a copy saved or not; your choice.

Re: TB: Send without saving

Robert-64
EE wrote:

> Michael Reich wrote:
>> Wishlist readers,
>>
>> I think it would be very useful to have a button that would
>> automatically send a message without automatically saving it. I know
>> this can be configured in TB preferences, but in general I still want
>> to save most of my emails by default. It would be great to be able to
>> send without saving (Shove?) just certain messages, for example those
>> that either have large attachments or are simple acknowledgments that
>> have no other value, etc. - though I don't want to have to specify
>> criteria, just to have a button to send without saving whatever I want.
>>
>> If there's an extension that does this, I'd appreciate hearing about it!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael
>
> Look in the Account Settings for the specific account and under "Copies
> and Folders".  You can have a copy saved or not; your choice.

Far be it from me to speak for Michael, but I believe he knows this.

"I know this can be configured in TB preferences, but in general I still
want to save most of my emails by default."

I think that Michael wants the the addition of a button to the "Compose"
window.  The added button would only appear when the account was
configured to save all outgoing email.  The button would send the email
being composed as normal, but would not be saved.  Thus, "certain
messages, for example those that either have large attachments or are
simple acknowledgments that have no other value" could easily be sent
without taking up space in your "sent mail" folder, or requiring you to
manually delete those messages.

Alternatively, a pull-down could be added to the "Send" menu (similar to
the "Get Mail" button), which would have several options, including:
"Send and Save", "Send and Do Not Save", "Send and Save To...", and
possibly others.  Thus, one could press the "Send" button, and the
message would be sent according to the account's preferences.  But, one
could also easily alter that preference on a per-message basis, were one
so inclined.

I think that either implementation would be a wonderful idea, though I
would lean towards the latter, personally.

I know I'm going to regret this later, but I must add: congratulations
on your reading comprehension, EE; no, I wouldn't like fries with that.

--
Robert

Re: TB: Send without saving

Michael Reich-2
Robert wrote:

> EE wrote:
>> Michael Reich wrote:
>>> Wishlist readers,
>>>
>>> I think it would be very useful to have a button that would
>>> automatically send a message without automatically saving it. I know
>>> this can be configured in TB preferences, but in general I still want
>>> to save most of my emails by default. It would be great to be able to
>>> send without saving (Shove?) just certain messages, for example those
>>> that either have large attachments or are simple acknowledgments that
>>> have no other value, etc. - though I don't want to have to specify
>>> criteria, just to have a button to send without saving whatever I want.
>>>
>>> If there's an extension that does this, I'd appreciate hearing about it!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Michael
>>
>> Look in the Account Settings for the specific account and under
>> "Copies and Folders".  You can have a copy saved or not; your choice.
>
> Far be it from me to speak for Michael, but I believe he knows this.
>
> "I know this can be configured in TB preferences, but in general I still
> want to save most of my emails by default."
>
> I think that Michael wants the the addition of a button to the "Compose"
> window.  The added button would only appear when the account was
> configured to save all outgoing email.  The button would send the email
> being composed as normal, but would not be saved.  Thus, "certain
> messages, for example those that either have large attachments or are
> simple acknowledgments that have no other value" could easily be sent
> without taking up space in your "sent mail" folder, or requiring you to
> manually delete those messages.
>
> Alternatively, a pull-down could be added to the "Send" menu (similar to
> the "Get Mail" button), which would have several options, including:
> "Send and Save", "Send and Do Not Save", "Send and Save To...", and
> possibly others.  Thus, one could press the "Send" button, and the
> message would be sent according to the account's preferences.  But, one
> could also easily alter that preference on a per-message basis, were one
> so inclined.
>
> I think that either implementation would be a wonderful idea, though I
> would lean towards the latter, personally.
>
> I know I'm going to regret this later, but I must add: congratulations
> on your reading comprehension, EE; no, I wouldn't like fries with that.

Robert,

Thanks for speaking for me - your description is a perfect specification
of what I suggested. I agree that a pull-down similar to the one on the
Get Mail button is a more general and elegant solution.

Michael

Re: TB: Send without saving

EE-2
Robert wrote:

> EE wrote:
>> Michael Reich wrote:
>>> Wishlist readers,
>>>
>>> I think it would be very useful to have a button that would
>>> automatically send a message without automatically saving it. I know
>>> this can be configured in TB preferences, but in general I still want
>>> to save most of my emails by default. It would be great to be able to
>>> send without saving (Shove?) just certain messages, for example those
>>> that either have large attachments or are simple acknowledgments that
>>> have no other value, etc. - though I don't want to have to specify
>>> criteria, just to have a button to send without saving whatever I want.
>>>
>>> If there's an extension that does this, I'd appreciate hearing about it!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Michael
>>
>> Look in the Account Settings for the specific account and under
>> "Copies and Folders".  You can have a copy saved or not; your choice.
>
> Far be it from me to speak for Michael, but I believe he knows this.
>
> "I know this can be configured in TB preferences, but in general I still
> want to save most of my emails by default."
>
> I think that Michael wants the the addition of a button to the "Compose"
> window.  The added button would only appear when the account was
> configured to save all outgoing email.  The button would send the email
> being composed as normal, but would not be saved.  Thus, "certain
> messages, for example those that either have large attachments or are
> simple acknowledgments that have no other value" could easily be sent
> without taking up space in your "sent mail" folder, or requiring you to
> manually delete those messages.
>
> Alternatively, a pull-down could be added to the "Send" menu (similar to
> the "Get Mail" button), which would have several options, including:
> "Send and Save", "Send and Do Not Save", "Send and Save To...", and
> possibly others.  Thus, one could press the "Send" button, and the
> message would be sent according to the account's preferences.  But, one
> could also easily alter that preference on a per-message basis, were one
> so inclined.
>
> I think that either implementation would be a wonderful idea, though I
> would lean towards the latter, personally.
>
> I know I'm going to regret this later, but I must add: congratulations
> on your reading comprehension, EE; no, I wouldn't like fries with that.

It is possible to set up more than one account, you know.  One could set
up one account where sent messages will be saved, and another where they
will not.  It is even possible to receive a message in one account and
send the reply through another.

Re: TB: Send without saving

Robert-64
EE wrote:

> Robert wrote:
>> EE wrote:

>>> Look in the Account Settings for the specific account and under
>>> "Copies and Folders".  You can have a copy saved or not; your choice.
>>
>> Far be it from me to speak for Michael, but I believe he knows this.
>>
>> "I know this can be configured in TB preferences, but in general I
>> still want to save most of my emails by default."
>>
>> I think that Michael wants the the addition of a button to the
>> "Compose" window.  The added button would only appear when the account
>> was configured to save all outgoing email.  The button would send the
>> email being composed as normal, but would not be saved.  Thus,
>> "certain messages, for example those that either have large
>> attachments or are simple acknowledgments that have no other value"
>> could easily be sent without taking up space in your "sent mail"
>> folder, or requiring you to manually delete those messages.
>>
>> Alternatively, a pull-down could be added to the "Send" menu (similar
>> to the "Get Mail" button), which would have several options,
>> including: "Send and Save", "Send and Do Not Save", "Send and Save
>> To...", and possibly others.  Thus, one could press the "Send" button,
>> and the message would be sent according to the account's preferences.
>> But, one could also easily alter that preference on a per-message
>> basis, were one so inclined.
>>
>> I think that either implementation would be a wonderful idea, though I
>> would lean towards the latter, personally.
>>
>> I know I'm going to regret this later, but I must add: congratulations
>> on your reading comprehension, EE; no, I wouldn't like fries with that.
>>
> It is possible to set up more than one account, you know.  One could set
> up one account where sent messages will be saved, and another where they
> will not.  It is even possible to receive a message in one account and
> send the reply through another.

Yes, but that would be an ugly hack.

I fully understand Thunderbird's ability to run multiple accounts (I
have 4), and its ability to switch which account you are sending from in
the Compose window (I do that on occasion, usually when I realize I was
in the "wrong" account when I clicked Write).

Why, though, should I have two copies of each account, one of which
saves outgoing messages and one of which does not?  Yes, it would work,
and, yes, you could set the "doesn't save messages" account to never
check for new messages.  But, it's an ugly hack; much more elegant would
be the proposed solution regarding the Send button.

--
Robert

Re: TB: Send without saving

Herre de Jonge
> I think that Michael wants the the addition of a button to the "Compose"
> window.  The added button would only appear when the account was
> configured to save all outgoing email.  The button would send the email
> being composed as normal, but would not be saved.  Thus, "certain
> messages, for example those that either have large attachments or are
> simple acknowledgments that have no other value" could easily be sent
> without taking up space in your "sent mail" folder, or requiring you to
> manually delete those messages.

I would prefer it a little bit different from this. It should be
a toggle option (preferably one that can be put in the toolbar).
The state of the option should reflect the setting for the account.
So if you specify you want to save messages, it should be checked
by default (and vice versa).

> Alternatively, a pull-down could be added to the "Send" menu (similar to
> [etc... deleted]
>
> I think that either implementation would be a wonderful idea, though I
> would lean towards the latter, personally.

I would lean towards the first, personally. ;)  During writing
the message you have a lot of time to change the setting if you
like. When sending a message it's usually a quick click on the
send button. You will realize (usually _just_ after sending the
message) that you did (not) want to save the message.

FYI I'd like to use this when sending silly jokes or funny
pictures.

Take care,
    Herre

Re: TB: Send without saving

Daniel-24
Herre de Jonge wrote:

>> I think that Michael wants the the addition of a button to the
>> "Compose" window.  The added button would only appear when the account
>> was configured to save all outgoing email.  The button would send the
>> email being composed as normal, but would not be saved.  Thus,
>> "certain messages, for example those that either have large
>> attachments or are simple acknowledgments that have no other value"
>> could easily be sent without taking up space in your "sent mail"
>> folder, or requiring you to manually delete those messages.
>
> I would prefer it a little bit different from this. It should be
> a toggle option (preferably one that can be put in the toolbar).
> The state of the option should reflect the setting for the account.
> So if you specify you want to save messages, it should be checked
> by default (and vice versa).
>
>> Alternatively, a pull-down could be added to the "Send" menu (similar
>> to [etc... deleted]
>>
>> I think that either implementation would be a wonderful idea, though I
>> would lean towards the latter, personally.
>
> I would lean towards the first, personally. ;)  During writing
> the message you have a lot of time to change the setting if you
> like. When sending a message it's usually a quick click on the
> send button. You will realize (usually _just_ after sending the
> message) that you did (not) want to save the message.
>
> FYI I'd like to use this when sending silly jokes or funny
> pictures.
>
> Take care,
>    Herre

What's the big deal about saving all messages?? If you don't want a copy
of a particular email saved, you can just go to your sent folder and
delete it manually!! Big deal.

Daniel

Re: TB: Send without saving

Herre de Jonge
> What's the big deal about saving all messages?? If you don't want a copy
> of a particular email saved, you can just go to your sent folder and
> delete it manually!! Big deal.

It's not an unsurmountable problem. It would just be a
nice extra. It's just a lot easier to simply click one
option while composing a message, than to wait for the
message to be sent (I usually queue my messages), then
go to the Sent folder. Find the message I don't want
saved and delete it.

Using your logic: What's the big deal about HTML e-mails?
You don't need formatting to convey a message. If I want
to _stress_ something, I just add underscores. HTML messages
are also a nice extra in my opinion. (As you can guess I
almost never use them.)

Take care,
    Herre

Re: TB: Send without saving

Daniel-24
Herre de Jonge wrote:
<snip>

> Using your logic: What's the big deal about HTML e-mails?
> You don't need formatting to convey a message. If I want
> to _stress_ something, I just add underscores. HTML messages
> are also a nice extra in my opinion. (As you can guess I
> almost never use them.)
>
> Take care,
>    Herre

The big deal about HTML, as far as I'm concerned, is that I pay for
every bite of data I d/l, so if someone is using HTML, I'm probably
paying for six bytes when I probably only needed one.

(Not statically accurate, just my guesstimation)

Daniel

Re: TB: Send without saving

markiv
Check out the Copy Sent to Current extension (latest version is on the author's website).

Cheers.

Michael Reich-2 wrote