Synching profile data

Peter Brown-2
Hi All

I'd like to use my current Desktop Profiles on my laptop and keep the
profiles in synch ie If I copy my Profile to my laptop and then use that
Profile I want to be able to update the Desktop copy of the Profile later.

What is the best way to go about this?

Regards

Pete

Re: Synching profile data

Dave Yeo-3
Peter Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'd like to use my current Desktop Profiles on my laptop and keep the
> profiles in synch ie If I copy my Profile to my laptop and then use that
> Profile I want to be able to update the Desktop copy of the Profile later.
>
> What is the best way to go about this?

If the drive letter is the same, you could just copy the profiles back
and forth or use something like rsync -hia2X -del Z:\Mozprofiles g:\
replacing the drive letters and profile location as needed and assuming
you're using peer.
Of course the official way is to use Sync (under Tools) which I've never
tried but is designed for use cases such as this. As far as I know drive
letters shouldn't be a problem using sync. If you do try it, can you
report how well it works?
Dave

Re: Synching profile data

madodel
On 2/7/14, 5:42 PM, Peter Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'd like to use my current Desktop Profiles on my laptop and keep the
> profiles in synch ie If I copy my Profile to my laptop and then use that
> Profile I want to be able to update the Desktop copy of the Profile later.
>
> What is the best way to go about this?

You don't say which Mozilla app you are talking about, but for Firefox I
use the xmarks add-on to do this across all systems I have running Firefox.
  It syncs bookmarks and passwords.  If you also want mail I think the only
solution is something like Dave Yeo suggested.

Mark

Re: Synching profile data

Gabriele Gamba
On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 23:46:07 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Of course the official way is to use Sync (under Tools) which I've never
> tried but is designed for use cases such as this. As far as I know drive
> letters shouldn't be a problem using sync. If you do try it, can you
> report how well it works?

Hi Dave, in my experience Sync works perfectly! It's years I'm using
it to sync bookmarks, passwords and sessions and I don't see a problem
since lot of time.

--
Ciao
Gabriele

Re: Synching profile data

Christer Jacobsson
On Sun, 9 Feb 2014 02:36:42 UTC, Mark Dodel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/7/14, 5:42 PM, Peter Brown wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I'd like to use my current Desktop Profiles on my laptop and keep the
> > profiles in synch ie If I copy my Profile to my laptop and then use that
> > Profile I want to be able to update the Desktop copy of the Profile later.
> >
> > What is the best way to go about this?
> >

> You don't say which Mozilla app you are talking about, but for Firefox I
> use the xmarks add-on to do this across all systems I have running Firefox.

Is the xmarks add-on only applicable to FF or can SM 2.7.12 also use it?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 18th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
       Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: Synching profile data

Peter Brown-2
Hi All

Gabriele Gamba wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 23:46:07 UTC, Dave Yeo<[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> Of course the official way is to use Sync (under Tools) which I've never
>> tried but is designed for use cases such as this. As far as I know drive
>> letters shouldn't be a problem using sync. If you do try it, can you
>> report how well it works?
>
> Hi Dave, in my experience Sync works perfectly! It's years I'm using
> it to sync bookmarks, passwords and sessions and I don't see a problem
> since lot of time.

Looks promising but prompts a couple of questions based on your experience:-

Does it also handle email and newsgroups?

Are you using the default server or a custom server?

Regards

Pete

Re: Synching profile data

Peter Brown-2
Hi Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> Peter Brown wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I'd like to use my current Desktop Profiles on my laptop and keep the
>> profiles in synch ie If I copy my Profile to my laptop and then use that
>> Profile I want to be able to update the Desktop copy of the Profile
>> later.
>>
>> What is the best way to go about this?
>
> If the drive letter is the same, you could just copy the profiles back
> and forth or use something like rsync -hia2X -del Z:\Mozprofiles g:\
> replacing the drive letters and profile location as needed and assuming
> you're using peer.
> Of course the official way is to use Sync (under Tools) which I've never
> tried but is designed for use cases such as this. As far as I know drive
> letters shouldn't be a problem using sync. If you do try it, can you
> report how well it works?
> Dave

As I want Mail and Newsgroups Sync is a waste of time for me.

Now I need to know how to "un-sync" a Profile.

Regards

Pete

Re: Synching profile data

Peter Brown-2
Hi All

Peter Brown wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Gabriele Gamba wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 23:46:07 UTC, Dave Yeo<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Of course the official way is to use Sync (under Tools) which I've never
>>> tried but is designed for use cases such as this. As far as I know drive
>>> letters shouldn't be a problem using sync. If you do try it, can you
>>> report how well it works?
>>
>> Hi Dave, in my experience Sync works perfectly! It's years I'm using
>> it to sync bookmarks, passwords and sessions and I don't see a problem
>> since lot of time.
>>

> Looks promising but prompts a couple of questions based on your
> experience:-
>
> Does it also handle email and newsgroups?
>
> Are you using the default server or a custom server?
>

> Regards
>
> Pete

The answer to the above "Does it also handle email and newsgroups?" is No.

Regards

Pete

Re: Synching profile data

Steve Wendt
On 2/17/2014 6:47 PM, Peter Brown wrote:

> As I want Mail and Newsgroups Sync is a waste of time for me.

Looks like this hasn't been touched in a while, and I know nothing about
it other than "I found it", but it looks like it is at least a start of
that functionality:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamonkey/addon/mailnews-sync/
http://hariniachala.blogspot.com/2010/06/adding-thunderbird-support-to-new-mail.html

Re: Synching profile data

Dave Saville-6
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 02:47:35 UTC, Peter Brown
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now I need to know how to "un-sync" a Profile.

It's called "restore from backup" :-)

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Re: Synching profile data

Peter Brown-2
Hi Dave

Dave Saville wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 02:47:35 UTC, Peter Brown
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Now I need to know how to "un-sync" a Profile.
>>

> It's called "restore from backup" :-)

No, it is a DeActivate option in Sync - which was a lot easier and
quicker  :-)

Regards

Pete

Re: Synching profile data

Ray Davison
Dave Yeo wrote:

> If the drive letter is the same, you could just copy the profiles back
> and forth

That is what I have been doing since Netscape.  My profiles and
mail/news are in separate trees on a data drive.  That data drive is
seen as the same letter by all OSs on every machine.  And various
versions of OS/2 and Win share the same files.  FF and SM can share some
and TB and SM can share some.

If I don't change the structure of any of the data I do a
copy-new-files-only.  If I change the structure, I do a delete and copy.
  I have more mail folders, sub-folders and filters than the law ought
to allow.

I am skeptical that some "sync" utility could do all the above.

Ray

Re: Synching profile data

Peter Brown-2
Hi Ray

Ray Davison wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>>
>> If the drive letter is the same, you could just copy the profiles back
>> and forth
>
> That is what I have been doing since Netscape. My profiles and mail/news
> are in separate trees on a data drive. That data drive is seen as the
> same letter by all OSs on every machine. And various versions of OS/2
> and Win share the same files. FF and SM can share some and TB and SM can
> share some.
>
> If I don't change the structure of any of the data I do a
> copy-new-files-only. If I change the structure, I do a delete and copy.
> I have more mail folders, sub-folders and filters than the law ought to
> allow.
>
> I am skeptical that some "sync" utility could do all the above.
>
> Ray

Sync seems to work fine if you only need it for a browser.

Guess I'm going to have to do a bit of "re-jigging" regarding disk
layout on my laptop so that it is the same as my desktop system - just
to make copying Profile data in each direction much easier.

I think that will wait for the next eCS beta or GA though.

Regards

Pete

Re: Synching profile data

Dave Saville-6
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 21:27:32 UTC, Peter Brown
<[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

> Guess I'm going to have to do a bit of "re-jigging" regarding disk
> layout on my laptop so that it is the same as my desktop system - just
> to make copying Profile data in each direction much easier.

It's such a shame that sym links only work for *some* OS/2 apps. :-(
--
Regards
Dave Saville

Re: Synching profile data

Christer Jacobsson
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 17:41:22 UTC, Ray Davison <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
> >
> > If the drive letter is the same, you could just copy the profiles back
> > and forth
>
> That is what I have been doing since Netscape.  My profiles and
> mail/news are in separate trees on a data drive.  That data drive is
> seen as the same letter by all OSs on every machine.  And various
> versions of OS/2 and Win share the same files.  FF and SM can share some
> and TB and SM can share some.

I have my profiles and mail in the mozilla.org tree, so I'm interested
in how to move this data out from the mozilla.org tree to another
location. Can it be done in an easy way or must I do it wholly manually,
thus having to root in the registry.dat file which I find difficult to
do. Another tack on this: if I wish to share this info with my W*nXP
mozilla/firefox browsers, must I put the data on a FAT32 drive which
have the same drive letter in both WSeB/eCs and W*nXP, or are the FAT32
approach too risky? As I understand it, a FAT16 volume won't work as it
can't have long names on it.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Dave Saville wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 21:27:32 UTC, Peter Brown
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> >  Guess I'm going to have to do a bit of "re-jigging" regarding disk
>> >  layout on my laptop so that it is the same as my desktop system - just
>> >  to make copying Profile data in each direction much easier.
> It's such a shame that sym links only work for*some*  OS/2 apps.

Symlinks really need to be implemented at the file system level, not the
libc level.
I can create a TVFS volume and symlink fine and every app works with it.
Be nice if we had the manpower to port the GPL JFS to OS/2 including
symlinks and hardlinks.
Dave

Re: Synching profile data

Alfredo Fernández Díaz
Christer Jacobsson escribió:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 17:41:22 UTC, Ray Davison<[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> Can it be done in an easy way or must I do it wholly manually,
> thus having to root in the registry.dat file which I find difficult to
> do.

I wrote this 6 years ago:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/internet/www/browser/mrtools.zip

This is a set of programs that will (hopefully) allow human beings convert to
plain text format, easily edit and rebuild Netscape/Mozilla/SeaMonkey registry
file (registry.dat).

Re: Synching profile data

Dave Yeo-3
Alfredo Fernández Díaz wrote:

> Christer Jacobsson escribió:
>> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 17:41:22 UTC, Ray Davison<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>
>> Can it be done in an easy way or must I do it wholly manually,
>> thus having to root in the registry.dat file which I find difficult to
>> do.
>
> I wrote this 6 years ago:
>
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/internet/www/browser/mrtools.zip
>

> This is a set of programs that will (hopefully) allow human beings
> convert to plain text format, easily edit and rebuild
> Netscape/Mozilla/SeaMonkey registry file (registry.dat).

There's also other Paths that need updating, mostly in prefs.js, such as
the location of mail.
Last time I moved my profile, I made one small error and for quite a
while my mail was still in my old location and not getting backed up
regularly.
Dave

Re: Synching profile data

Allan-10
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 19:47:24 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave Saville wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 21:27:32 UTC, Peter Brown
> > <[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

> > It's such a shame that sym links only work for*some*  OS/2 apps.
>
> Symlinks really need to be implemented at the file system level, not the
> libc level.
> I can create a TVFS volume and symlink fine and every app works with it.
> Be nice if we had the manpower to port the GPL JFS to OS/2 including
> symlinks and hardlinks.

Eh, JFS included with eComstation _is_ the GPL version.

--
  Allan.

It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
than to open it, and remove all doubt.

Re: Synching profile data

Steve Wendt
On 2/20/2014 1:47 PM, Allan wrote:

>> Be nice if we had the manpower to port the GPL JFS to OS/2 including
>> symlinks and hardlinks.
>
> Eh, JFS included with eComstation _is_ the GPL version.

IIRC, they replaced UJFS.DLL, but not JFS.IFS.