Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Javier-58
I will be switching to GCC 3.3.5 for the nightlies imminently.

In anticipation of this, you should download:

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/gcc/libc-0.6.0-ga2.zip

And put the DLLs in your LIBPATH.

Mike Kaply
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Wolfi-2
Michael Kaply wrote:
> I will be switching to GCC 3.3.5 for the nightlies imminently.
>
> In anticipation of this, you should download:
>
> ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/gcc/libc-0.6.0-ga2.zip

Which ones of my zoo of Gnu LibC.dlls (I just 'love' that ever moving target)
becomes then or is already obsolete with respect to Moz 1.7.12, P.W.'s SM 1.0A,
TB 1.0.7, TB 1.5B2, FF 1.0.7 and P.W.'s FF 1.5RC2 and current 'latest' WV ?

As of now I have gcc322, LibC04, LibC05, LibC05, LibC06B4, LibC06R1, LibC06X
hanging around in my LibPath. Which of those can I safely dispose now?

Wolfi
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Steve Wendt
Wolfi wrote:

> As of now I have gcc322, LibC04, LibC05, LibC05, LibC06B4, LibC06R1, LibC06X
> hanging around in my LibPath. Which of those can I safely dispose now?

I don't know of anything still using libc04.  You'll probably want to
hang on to gcc322 and libc05 for a while (for all the current Mozilla
releases).  libc06b4, libc06r1, and libc06x are obsolete, however you
may have programs built to use them, and can't get rid of them until the
programs have been rebuilt against the libc06 GA release.
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

William L. Hartzell
In reply to this post by Wolfi-2
Sir:

Wolfi wrote:

> Michael Kaply wrote:
>
>> I will be switching to GCC 3.3.5 for the nightlies imminently.
>>
>> In anticipation of this, you should download:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/gcc/libc-0.6.0-ga2.zip
>
>
> Which ones of my zoo of Gnu LibC.dlls (I just 'love' that ever moving
> target) becomes then or is already obsolete with respect to Moz
> 1.7.12, P.W.'s SM 1.0A, TB 1.0.7, TB 1.5B2, FF 1.0.7 and P.W.'s FF
> 1.5RC2 and current 'latest' WV ?
>
> As of now I have gcc322, LibC04, LibC05, LibC05, LibC06B4, LibC06R1,
> LibC06X hanging around in my LibPath. Which of those can I safely
> dispose now?
>
It can be all of the above to none of the above, which means it depends
upon what other software that you've installed and use that may use one
of the above.  Delete all of them and see what fails to work, then find
out what is needed to make it work and put that back.  The other option
is to ignore the fact that they are there and may be wasting space.

--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Wolfi-2
In reply to this post by Steve Wendt
Steve Wendt wrote:

> Wolfi wrote:
>
>> As of now I have gcc322, LibC04, LibC05, LibC05, LibC06B4, LibC06R1,
>> LibC06X
>> hanging around in my LibPath. Which of those can I safely dispose now?
>
> I don't know of anything still using libc04.  You'll probably want to
> hang on to gcc322 and libc05 for a while (for all the current Mozilla
> releases).  libc06b4, libc06r1, and libc06x are obsolete, however you
> may have programs built to use them, and can't get rid of them until the
> programs have been rebuilt against the libc06 GA release.


Thanks, Steve.

Wolfi
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Michael DeBusk
In reply to this post by Wolfi-2
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:00:22 -0600, Wolfi <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Which ones of my zoo of Gnu LibC.dlls

I didn't think anybody used that archiver anymore. ;)

--
Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
I am a pineapple  *  http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Peter Weilbacher
In reply to this post by Javier-58
Michael Kaply wrote:

> I will be switching to GCC 3.3.5 for the nightlies imminently.

What compile times do you get compared to GCC-3.2.2? Last I tried with
one of the betas it was 40min/75m (3.2.2/3.3.5). Somehow I couldn't
get 3.3.5GA2 to compile my tree yet, otherwise I would have measured it
myself (probably I garbled my glibidl installation for 3.3.5).
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup
    Unofficial Mozilla builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Joe Negron
In reply to this post by Wolfi-2
On 2005-12-02, Wolfi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Kaply wrote:
>> I will be switching to GCC 3.3.5 for the nightlies imminently.
>>
>> In anticipation of this, you should download:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/gcc/libc-0.6.0-ga2.zip
>
> Which ones of my zoo of Gnu LibC.dlls (I just 'love' that ever moving target)
> becomes then or is already obsolete with respect to Moz 1.7.12, P.W.'s SM 1.0A,
> TB 1.0.7, TB 1.5B2, FF 1.0.7 and P.W.'s FF 1.5RC2 and current 'latest' WV ?
>
> As of now I have gcc322, LibC04, LibC05, LibC05, LibC06B4, LibC06R1, LibC06X
> hanging around in my LibPath. Which of those can I safely dispose now?
>
> Wolfi

There exist two programs, one PM and the other VIO, which will determine
which DLLs are required for a particular program.  The PM program is:

   http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-viewer?sh=1&fname=/pub/os2/util/system/pmdll28.zip

I  couldn't find the VIO program on Hobbes, and I don't remember where I
got it, but it's:

   C:\>showdlls
   Showdlls.exe, 32-bit, Version 2.1
   Copyright (c) Code Blazers, Inc. 1991, 1992. All rights reserved.

   usage: showdlls file-name [/a /d /e /l /t]

       /a - Show All Dlls (normally common OS2 System Dlls are suppressed)
       /d - Enable Debugging info to the screen
       /e - Expand the Dlls that /a displays
       /l - List the Dlls suppressed if /a is not used
       /t - Tree (For each Dll shown, show its Dlls)

If  you're  very  concerned  about  disk space, and are motivated to run
these on your programs, you can determine which DLLs  are  used  by  the
programs you have.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army.

--Edward Everett
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe Negron from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY, USA
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Andy Willis-2
In reply to this post by Peter Weilbacher
Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> Michael Kaply wrote:
>
>> I will be switching to GCC 3.3.5 for the nightlies imminently.
>
> What compile times do you get compared to GCC-3.2.2? Last I tried with
> one of the betas it was 40min/75m (3.2.2/3.3.5). Somehow I couldn't
> get 3.3.5GA2 to compile my tree yet, otherwise I would have measured it
> myself (probably I garbled my glibidl installation for 3.3.5).
Glibidl will have to be rebuilt with the GA if you haven't already.
Andy
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Mikus Grinbergs
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:01:20 -0700 Andy Willis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Somehow I couldn't
> > get 3.3.5GA2 to compile my tree yet, otherwise I would have measured it
> > myself (probably I garbled my glibidl installation for 3.3.5).
>
> Glibidl will have to be rebuilt with the GA if you haven't already.

I had rebuilt glibidl ages ago with whatever 3.3.5 version was
originally available.  I left glibidl alone as I installed
newer 3.3.5 versions;  when I installed 3.3.5GA, it compiled
the latest trunk FF (Deer Park) just fine, still using that
old-time glibidl.

mikus

_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Peter Weilbacher
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 15:46:34 UTC, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:01:20 -0700 Andy Willis wrote:
> > >
> > > Somehow I couldn't
> > > get 3.3.5GA2 to compile my tree yet, otherwise I would have measured it
> > > myself (probably I garbled my glibidl installation for 3.3.5).
> >
> > Glibidl will have to be rebuilt with the GA if you haven't already.

Yes, that is probably what created the error, I must have made a mistake
when rebuilding it.

> I had rebuilt glibidl ages ago with whatever 3.3.5 version was
> originally available.  I left glibidl alone as I installed
> newer 3.3.5 versions;  when I installed 3.3.5GA, it compiled
> the latest trunk FF (Deer Park) just fine, still using that
> old-time glibidl.

That might have the effect that your FF build may depend on multiple
versions of libc06.dll.
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup
    Unofficial Mozilla builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Paul Smedley-2
In reply to this post by Peter Weilbacher
Hi Peter,

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:26:04 UTC, Peter Weilbacher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Kaply wrote:
>
> > I will be switching to GCC 3.3.5 for the nightlies imminently.
>
> What compile times do you get compared to GCC-3.2.2? Last I tried with
> one of the betas it was 40min/75m (3.2.2/3.3.5). Somehow I couldn't
> get 3.3.5GA2 to compile my tree yet, otherwise I would have measured it
> myself (probably I garbled my glibidl installation for 3.3.5).

IIRC - I went from about 50min to 60min when I switched from 3.2.2 to
3.3.5 - I have a post on the Innotek support forum about it.  I think
the longer compilation time is the generic for gcc 3.3.x across all
platforms...

--
Cheers,

Paul.
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Peter Weilbacher
In reply to this post by Andy Willis-2
On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 20:01:20 UTC, Andy Willis wrote:

> Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> > Somehow I couldn't
> > get 3.3.5GA2 to compile my tree yet, otherwise I would have measured it
> > myself (probably I garbled my glibidl installation for 3.3.5).
> Glibidl will have to be rebuilt with the GA if you haven't already.

Now I found my mistake. I had updated glib to 1.2.10 in an attempt to
silence the warnings that Bill had mentioned a few weeks ago. At the
same time I continued to use some files from the old glib distribution
and forgot to increase the GLIB_MICRO_VERSION similarly, so configure
complained. Now it's running well, hmm, sort of. I now get even more
"ISO C does not permit" warnings and the glib update did not silence the
warnings that I thought it would. :-(

Well, and xulrunner still doesn't compile, and the libs I need to
support a cairo enabled build would have to be rebuilt for 3.3.5... I
think I stay with 3.2.2 for now, or I will never get anything real
done...
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup
    Unofficial Mozilla builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 20:01:20 UTC, Andy Willis wrote:
>
>
>>Peter Weilbacher wrote:
>>
>>>Somehow I couldn't
>>>get 3.3.5GA2 to compile my tree yet, otherwise I would have measured it
>>>myself (probably I garbled my glibidl installation for 3.3.5).
>>
>>Glibidl will have to be rebuilt with the GA if you haven't already.
>
>
> Now I found my mistake. I had updated glib to 1.2.10 in an attempt to
> silence the warnings that Bill had mentioned a few weeks ago. At the
> same time I continued to use some files from the old glib distribution
> and forgot to increase the GLIB_MICRO_VERSION similarly, so configure
> complained. Now it's running well, hmm, sort of. I now get even more
> "ISO C does not permit" warnings and the glib update did not silence the
> warnings that I thought it would. :-(
>
> Well, and xulrunner still doesn't compile, and the libs I need to
> support a cairo enabled build would have to be rebuilt for 3.3.5... I
> think I stay with 3.2.2 for now, or I will never get anything real
> done...
I thought the Mozilla and its decedents are C++ projects.  Why are there
so many C coded modules?  It only takes a few minutes by the code owner
to update his C code (move it to C++ C subset) so that it compiles
without warnings by the C++ compiler.  Then we could drop all references
by the build system to using a C compiler (and all those stupid
potential errors and warnings).  To whom do we bitch?
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Steve Wendt
William L. Hartzell wrote:

> by the build system to using a C compiler (and all those stupid
> potential errors and warnings).  To whom do we bitch?

Yourself, for not submitting patches for review?  Honestly, I don't know
why you think C++ is a panacea compared to C; it introduces a lot *more*
build issues.
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

Steve Wendt wrote:
> William L. Hartzell wrote:
>
>> by the build system to using a C compiler (and all those stupid
>> potential errors and warnings).  To whom do we bitch?
>
>
> Yourself, for not submitting patches for review?  Honestly, I don't know
> why you think C++ is a panacea compared to C; it introduces a lot *more*
> build issues.
The problem that is showing up in the warning messages is cause by
including C++ modules in something that is being built using the C
compiler, and vice versa.  Since these are warnings, that means the
compiler found a solution, not necessary the correct solution to
resolving the problem.  This means that the behavior of the code is
dependent upon the side effects of the compiler, not the intentions of
the programmer.  Change the compiler version, change side effects.

Since I am not a code reviewer, I am not able to enforce any policy on
any part of the project.  The problem has become so wide spread, that
one person cannot fix it.  As long as new code is allowed to be check-in
using mixed code, then the problem will only get worse.  When I build
the entire build tree for SeaMonkey, the standard error file is almost
nine kilobytes of warnings.  Greater than two thirds of the warnings are
from this one cause.  I don't give a banana which language is used, as
long as the project is consistent in the dependencies.  It is just
easier to write, to debug, to understand if only one language is picked
for each linkable object and all included files conform.  You know that
this might just be an OS/2 problem, if OS/2 is still using the C 1991
standard and everyone else is using the 1999 standard C compiler?
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Steve Wendt
William L. Hartzell wrote:

> one person cannot fix it.

One person can submit patches, though.  :)

> this might just be an OS/2 problem, if OS/2 is still using the C 1991
> standard and everyone else is using the 1999 standard C compiler?

I doubt OS/2 is the only platform using GCC 3.2.2.
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Peter Weilbacher
In reply to this post by William L. Hartzell
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 05:56:43 UTC, "William L. Hartzell" wrote:

> I thought the Mozilla and its decedents are C++ projects.  Why are there
> so many C coded modules?  It only takes a few minutes by the code owner
> to update his C code (move it to C++ C subset) so that it compiles
> without warnings by the C++ compiler.  Then we could drop all references
> by the build system to using a C compiler (and all those stupid
> potential errors and warnings).  To whom do we bitch?

To noone. If you do a search for *.c files in the sourcecode you will
see that there are many of them, I just counted 1609 of them on the
trunk with a total of 1128835 lines of code (including comments). These
are all in a stable condition and converting them will just cause new
errors to appear.
In the specific case you mentioned the error was even outside the
Mozilla code in the glib headers, so updating Mozilla won't help...
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup
    Unofficial Mozilla builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Henry Sobotka
In reply to this post by William L. Hartzell
William L. Hartzell wrote:
>
> Then we could drop all references by the build system to using a C
> compiler (and all those stupid potential errors and warnings).  To
> whom do we bitch?

If you don't want to look at all the warnings, the easiest thing to do
is, after running configure, open config/autoconf.mk in your object
directory, and tweak gcc's -W flags to your entire satisfaction before
building.

You can also run make -s which makes for much more intelligible output
than the long gcc command line scrolling by a zillion times. And make is
kind enough to output the error automatically when the command fails.

h~
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to GCC 3.3.5 for nightlies

Steven Levine
In reply to this post by William L. Hartzell
In <c1.2b5.2z3GlB$[hidden email]>, on 12/04/2005
   at 11:56 PM, "William L. Hartzell" <[hidden email]> said:

>I thought the Mozilla and its decedents are C++ projects.

What ever gave you that idea?  Some percentage of Mozilla is written in
C++.  The rest is written in other languages, some compiled, some not.
Some of the languages are procedural, some are not.

>To whom do we bitch?

As others have stated, submit patches.  If you patches are good and
considered useful by the mob, they will be accepted and integrated.


Steven

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven Levine <[hidden email]>  MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
Warp4.something/14.100c_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2