Switch from text to HTML

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Switch from text to HTML

Herre de Jonge
Hello,

By default I use text only e-mail. But every once in a while I
want to use HTML formatted e-mail. For this I can use <ctrl>-click
on the new message button (on Windows, btw...). Sometimes however
I realize later I want to use HTML formatting. There is no easy
way to switch to HTML formatting at such point.

When writing a HTML formatted message there's an option to switch
to plain text (Options>Format>Plain text only). I really would
like to be able to switch to HTML.

Take care,
   Herre
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch from text to HTML

Neil-4
Herre de Jonge wrote:

> By default I use text only e-mail. But every once in a while I want to
> use HTML formatted e-mail. For this I can use <ctrl>-click on the new
> message button (on Windows, btw...). Sometimes however I realize later
> I want to use HTML formatting. There is no easy way to switch to HTML
> formatting at such point.
>
> When writing a HTML formatted message there's an option to switch to
> plain text (Options>Format>Plain text only). I really would like to be
> able to switch to HTML.

That's not quite switching to plain text; it uses the HTML composer but
then converts the result to plain text before sending. Personally I
think it does a better job of conversion than composing in plain text so
I always compose in HTML but you may want to set the default format
option to plain text and enable HTML formatting in the cases you need it.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch from text to HTML

Moz Champion (Dan)
In reply to this post by Herre de Jonge
Herre de Jonge wrote:

> Hello,
>
> By default I use text only e-mail. But every once in a while I
> want to use HTML formatted e-mail. For this I can use <ctrl>-click
> on the new message button (on Windows, btw...). Sometimes however
> I realize later I want to use HTML formatting. There is no easy
> way to switch to HTML formatting at such point.
>
> When writing a HTML formatted message there's an option to switch
> to plain text (Options>Format>Plain text only). I really would
> like to be able to switch to HTML.
>
> Take care,
>   Herre


To switch temporarily to the 'other' mode of composition

hold down the Option key when you press Reply/Reply All or Write


If you are in plain text mode, it switches you to HTML mode for that
message only
If you are in HTML mode, it switches you to the plain text mode for that
message only
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch from text to HTML

Tarkus-3
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Herre de Jonge wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> By default I use text only e-mail. But every once in a while I
>> want to use HTML formatted e-mail. For this I can use <ctrl>-click
>> on the new message button (on Windows, btw...). Sometimes however
>> I realize later I want to use HTML formatting. There is no easy
>> way to switch to HTML formatting at such point.
>>
>> When writing a HTML formatted message there's an option to switch
>> to plain text (Options>Format>Plain text only). I really would
>> like to be able to switch to HTML.
>>
>> Take care,
>>   Herre
>
> To switch temporarily to the 'other' mode of composition
>
> hold down the Option key when you press Reply/Reply All or Write
>
> If you are in plain text mode, it switches you to HTML mode for that
> message only
> If you are in HTML mode, it switches you to the plain text mode for that
> message only

I believe he's talking about once you're already in the composition window.
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch from text to HTML

Moz Champion (Dan)
Tarkus wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Herre de Jonge wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> By default I use text only e-mail. But every once in a while I
>>> want to use HTML formatted e-mail. For this I can use <ctrl>-click
>>> on the new message button (on Windows, btw...). Sometimes however
>>> I realize later I want to use HTML formatting. There is no easy
>>> way to switch to HTML formatting at such point.
>>>
>>> When writing a HTML formatted message there's an option to switch
>>> to plain text (Options>Format>Plain text only). I really would
>>> like to be able to switch to HTML.
>>>
>>> Take care,
>>>   Herre
>>
>> To switch temporarily to the 'other' mode of composition
>>
>> hold down the Option key when you press Reply/Reply All or Write
>>
>> If you are in plain text mode, it switches you to HTML mode for that
>> message only
>> If you are in HTML mode, it switches you to the plain text mode for
>> that message only
>
> I believe he's talking about once you're already in the composition window.


Cannot be done. They are 'modes' not 'styles'

to enable all the attributes/capabilties of HTML mode you must perforce
start in HTML mode, they are not 'added on' to plain text mode, they are
entirelly different.

If you find yourself in a plain text composition window, and you wanted
an HTLM composition window, close it out and start again.  If you
already have things in the window (you had started writing) then use
Copy, close the old window, open a new one in the right mode, then Paste.
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch from text to HTML

Mouse-12
>> I believe he's talking about once you're already in the composition
>> window.

> Cannot be done.  [...]

I find that..doubtful.

> If you find yourself in a plain text composition window, and you
> wanted an HTLM composition window, close it out and start again.  If
> you already have things in the window (you had started writing) then
> use Copy, close the old window, open a new one in the right mode,
> then Paste.

And why couldn't a command be implemented which did just that?
(Perhaps reusing the underlying window, perhaps not.)

/~\ The ASCII  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML [hidden email]
/ \ Email!     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch from text to HTML

Tarkus-3
In reply to this post by Moz Champion (Dan)
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Tarkus wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>> Herre de Jonge wrote:
>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>> By default I use text only e-mail. But every once in a while I
>>>> want to use HTML formatted e-mail. For this I can use <ctrl>-click
>>>> on the new message button (on Windows, btw...). Sometimes however
>>>> I realize later I want to use HTML formatting. There is no easy
>>>> way to switch to HTML formatting at such point.
>>>>
>>>> When writing a HTML formatted message there's an option to switch
>>>> to plain text (Options>Format>Plain text only). I really would
>>>> like to be able to switch to HTML.
>>>>
>>>> Take care,
>>>>   Herre
>>>
>>> To switch temporarily to the 'other' mode of composition
>>>
>>> hold down the Option key when you press Reply/Reply All or Write
>>>
>>> If you are in plain text mode, it switches you to HTML mode for that
>>> message only
>>> If you are in HTML mode, it switches you to the plain text mode for
>>> that message only
>>
>> I believe he's talking about once you're already in the composition
>> window.
>
> Cannot be done. They are 'modes' not 'styles'

Yes, it cannot be done now.  I believe the request is to change that.
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch from text to HTML

Moz Champion (Dan)
In reply to this post by Moz Champion (Dan)
der Mouse wrote:

>>> I believe he's talking about once you're already in the composition
>>> window.
>
>> Cannot be done.  [...]
>
> I find that..doubtful.
>
>> If you find yourself in a plain text composition window, and you
>> wanted an HTLM composition window, close it out and start again.  If
>> you already have things in the window (you had started writing) then
>> use Copy, close the old window, open a new one in the right mode,
>> then Paste.
>
> And why couldn't a command be implemented which did just that?
> (Perhaps reusing the underlying window, perhaps not.)
>
> /~\ The ASCII  Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML [hidden email]
> / \ Email!     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B



I deal with extant possibilties in the published release versions


Not 'possible' commands that 'could be' written.
If you think it can be done, then by all means, go do it!  When it comes
out in a release version I will tell people how to use it.

Until then it's news to me.
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch from text to HTML

Mouse-12
>>>> I believe he's talking about once you're already in the
>>>> composition window.
>>> Cannot be done.  [...]
>> I find that..doubtful.
>>> [...how to do it manually...]
>> And why couldn't a command be implemented which did just that?
> I deal with extant possibilties in the published release versions
> Not 'possible' commands that 'could be' written.

Then I believe you are on the wrong mailing list.  This list is for
discussing enhancements and changes - for discussing what could be.
Discussing what is is inappropriate except as it bears on what could be.

Or at least that's what I thought.  Perhaps I'm the one on the wrong
mailing list.

> If you think it can be done, then by all means, go do it!

I think it can be done.  That doesn't mean I'l do it; I won't - I don't
think it's desirable.  (I don't think anything that encourages (ab)use
of HTML as markup in email is desirable.)

/~\ The ASCII  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML [hidden email]
/ \ Email!     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch from text to HTML

Sergey-2
In reply to this post by Tarkus-3
Tarkus wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Tarkus wrote:
>>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>>> Herre de Jonge wrote:
>>>>> Hello,
>>>>>
>>>>> By default I use text only e-mail. But every once in a while I
>>>>> want to use HTML formatted e-mail. For this I can use <ctrl>-click
>>>>> on the new message button (on Windows, btw...). Sometimes however
>>>>> I realize later I want to use HTML formatting. There is no easy
>>>>> way to switch to HTML formatting at such point.
>>>>>
>>>>> When writing a HTML formatted message there's an option to switch
>>>>> to plain text (Options>Format>Plain text only). I really would
>>>>> like to be able to switch to HTML.
>>>>>
>>>>> Take care,
>>>>> Herre
>>>>
>>>> To switch temporarily to the 'other' mode of composition
>>>>
>>>> hold down the Option key when you press Reply/Reply All or Write
>>>>
>>>> If you are in plain text mode, it switches you to HTML mode for that
>>>> message only
>>>> If you are in HTML mode, it switches you to the plain text mode for
>>>> that message only
>>>
>>> I believe he's talking about once you're already in the composition
>>> window.
>>
>> Cannot be done. They are 'modes' not 'styles'
>
> Yes, it cannot be done now. I believe the request is to change that.

Option key  (shift) is correct way...
It works fine here!
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch from text to HTML

Herre de Jonge
In reply to this post by Moz Champion (Dan)
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Tarkus wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>> Herre de Jonge wrote:
>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>> By default I use text only e-mail. But every once in a while I
>>>> want to use HTML formatted e-mail. For this I can use <ctrl>-click
>>>> on the new message button (on Windows, btw...). Sometimes however
>>>> I realize later I want to use HTML formatting. There is no easy
>>>> way to switch to HTML formatting at such point.
>>>>
>>>> When writing a HTML formatted message there's an option to switch
>>>> to plain text (Options>Format>Plain text only). I really would
>>>> like to be able to switch to HTML.
>>>>
>>>> Take care,
>>>>   Herre
>>>
>>> To switch temporarily to the 'other' mode of composition
>>>
>>> hold down the Option key when you press Reply/Reply All or Write
>>>
>>> If you are in plain text mode, it switches you to HTML mode for that
>>> message only
>>> If you are in HTML mode, it switches you to the plain text mode for
>>> that message only
>>
>> I believe he's talking about once you're already in the composition
>> window.

Exactly.

> Cannot be done. They are 'modes' not 'styles'

So?

I can switch from HTML mode to text mode (Options>Format>Plain
text only). Why is the switch back so hard? (In fact it seems
to me it should be easier. Basically dump the text in the body
part of the HTML and maybe add some <br>s and <p>s.)

> to enable all the attributes/capabilties of HTML mode you must perforce
> start in HTML mode, they are not 'added on' to plain text mode, they are
> entirelly different.

But TB can hide them when switching to plain text...

> If you find yourself in a plain text composition window, and you wanted
> an HTML composition window, close it out and start again.  If you
> already have things in the window (you had started writing) then use
> Copy, close the old window, open a new one in the right mode, then Paste.

Apart from the body, also the addressees (including the way to
send 'To:', 'Cc:' etc.) and subject have to be copied. This
laborous task is what I have to do right now. And my _wish_ is
to be able to just switch to HTML mode.

Best regards,
   Herre

P.S. I agree with "Der Mouse" this time (it doesn't happen often):
   Basically e-mail should be plain text. Just sometimes I want to
   send a cartoon as an inline linked image (better than sending
   a URL in this case). Then I want to use HTML (and not as HTML
   _and_ plain text).
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist