Sunbird suggestion

adk-2
If I want to set some alarms for certain events I would have to sunbird open
in order to have the alarms, including email alarm work.

Suggestion: create a small application that runs on the system tray that
reads the designated/configured sunbird file for alarms. Then when one alarm
time is reached, it would go through the selected steps for that alarm
(sound, email, etc.).

Otherwise the sunbird app has to be opened and minimized the whole session
which takes up 20,668K of resources ...when the only reason to have it open
is for the alarms.

Also give the system tray app a launch sunbird option

Re: Sunbird suggestion

zeddock
ADK wrote:

> If I want to set some alarms for certain events I would have to sunbird open
> in order to have the alarms, including email alarm work.
>
> Suggestion: create a small application that runs on the system tray that
> reads the designated/configured sunbird file for alarms. Then when one alarm
> time is reached, it would go through the selected steps for that alarm
> (sound, email, etc.).
>
> Otherwise the sunbird app has to be opened and minimized the whole session
> which takes up 20,668K of resources ...when the only reason to have it open
> is for the alarms.
>
> Also give the system tray app a launch sunbird option

I would like to see this functionality added to the calendar app, but
you may want to look at SunTray.  http://www.users.on.net/~srgeorg/suntray/

I don't think that the .3a1 version is compatible though... although it
may be that alarms in general are not quite functioning correctly yet.

-zeddock

Re: Sunbird suggestion

Graham Reeds
> Also give the system tray app a launch sunbird option

If you are referring to the SunTray app then copy the SunTray app into
your sunbird folder and create a short cut with -start -warn as the
parameters. eg: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Sunbird\SunTray.exe" -start -warn

G.

Re: Sunbird suggestion

Rod Whiteley
ADK wrote:
> ...a small application...that reads the...file for alarms...

That sounds like iCalMinder:

http://www.brownbearsoftware.com/ical/iCalMinder.exe

I have not tried it myself.  I just read about it somewhere and
mentioned it in the help:

http://calendarhelp.mozdev.org/open.xul?topic=options:programs

--
Rod Whiteley

Re: Sunbird suggestion

Damian-5
This is the best suggestion I've heard for Sunbird!

SunTray sounds like it wouldn't save any memory, just moves the thing to
the tray rather than the task bar.

iCalMinder sounds like it could do the job, but I just read that it only
works with files stored on the net.

Can anyone make something with a small memory and resources footprint
that could do this? 20-odd-Mb for a minimised calendar running in the
background seems ridiculous.

Damian

ADK wrote:

> If I want to set some alarms for certain events I would have to sunbird open
> in order to have the alarms, including email alarm work.
>
> Suggestion: create a small application that runs on the system tray that
> reads the designated/configured sunbird file for alarms. Then when one alarm
> time is reached, it would go through the selected steps for that alarm
> (sound, email, etc.).
>
> Otherwise the sunbird app has to be opened and minimized the whole session
> which takes up 20,668K of resources ...when the only reason to have it open
> is for the alarms.
>
> Also give the system tray app a launch sunbird option

Re: Sunbird suggestion

Damian-5
Rod's just told me that iCalMinder can't open up Sunbird, it's just for
alarms.

Come on all you clever programmers. This is a GREAT idea! A small tray
app opening with the operating system would be so much quicker to load
and would be all people want out of sunbird until it's time to add an
entry or check something. I hope someone can produce it.

Wish-list for the app:
        Tiny footprint on resources
        Checks the sunbird file for alarms
        An option to let alarms either open up Sunbird or just inform you of
the alarm
        The tray app should also be able to open up sunbird directly.

This could all be accomplished from a simple right click menu on the
tray icon.

I'm excited .. wouldn't EVERYBODY use this? It would get past the system
recourse hogging of Sunbird until you actually needed it!

Damian

Damian wrote:

> This is the best suggestion I've heard for Sunbird!
>
> SunTray sounds like it wouldn't save any memory, just moves the thing to
> the tray rather than the task bar.
>
> iCalMinder sounds like it could do the job, but I just read that it only
> works with files stored on the net.
>
> Can anyone make something with a small memory and resources footprint
> that could do this? 20-odd-Mb for a minimised calendar running in the
> background seems ridiculous.
>
> Damian
>
> ADK wrote:
>> If I want to set some alarms for certain events I would have to
>> sunbird open in order to have the alarms, including email alarm work.
>>
>> Suggestion: create a small application that runs on the system tray
>> that reads the designated/configured sunbird file for alarms. Then
>> when one alarm time is reached, it would go through the selected steps
>> for that alarm (sound, email, etc.).
>>
>> Otherwise the sunbird app has to be opened and minimized the whole
>> session which takes up 20,668K of resources ...when the only reason to
>> have it open is for the alarms.
>>
>> Also give the system tray app a launch sunbird option

Re: Sunbird suggestion

Damian-5
Does no one else thing this is a fantastic idea?

ADK's suggestion would be a fantastically user and resource friendly
addition to Sunbird, and I'd have thought it would be relatively simple?

Damian

Re: Sunbird suggestion

Joey Minta
Damian wrote:
> Does no one else thing this is a fantastic idea?
Of course.  It's one of the most common suggesstions/requests that we get.

> ADK's suggestion would be a fantastically user and resource friendly
> addition to Sunbird, and I'd have thought it would be relatively simple?
It's not relatively simple.  Recall the Mozilla applications must be
designed to work cross-platform, that is, on Linux, Windows, and Mac.
Each of these operating systems has completely different ways of
defining their system tray, meaning different solutions are needed for
each.  That's not to say it's impossible, though. Gaim is a good example
of a program that conquered that obstacle.  Still, it would be a massive
project to bring that functionality into the Mozilla platform.

Re: Sunbird suggestion

Damian-5
Thanks for that response Joey, it explains the lack of response from others.

I certainly wasn't aware that it was a commonly requested thing. That
explains why no one else was getting excited  :-)
And you description of how many platforms it would have to work on makes
sense too. I certainly wouldn't be happy with the addition if it needed
15Mb (instead of Sunbirds 20Mb) due to it's complexity. It seems the
only solution would be a different solution for each of the main OS's,
but that would get a bit messy.

Damian