Styling text for Braille Display?

Gary Bishop
We're working to make Firefox our platform for our accessibility
applications. For example Tar Heel Reader at http://gb-cs.cs.unc.edu/TarHeelReader
is a collection of books for beginning readers with disabilities. The
books are switch accessible and speech enabled. We provide a simple
editor (by subscription) that enables teachers to easily make new
books.

I'm wondering how to make this idea work with a refreshable Braille
display? A typical book page has a picture from Flickr and a simple
sentence caption. We only apply the text to speech to the caption
text. How can we style the text (or otherwise present it) so that only
it is displayed in Braille? For a transitional reader who has some
vision the picture and the printed text are useful and interesting but
we want them to begin exploring the Braille display.

There is other text on the page that our beginning reader doesn't need
such as the page name, navigation links, etc.

Any ideas on how to mark the caption for display on a refreshable
Braille display?

Thanks
gb

Re: Styling text for Braille Display?

Gregory J. Rosmaita
aloha, gary!

thanks for the info on TarHeelReader and the pointer to your projects...

as for controlling braille "styling", one has a choice of using
either CSS2 or CSS 2.1's media types -- braille is the applicable
media type for refreshable braille displays:

CSS2: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/media.html

CSS 2.1: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/media.html

a "preliminary requirements analysis" for Braile CSS can be found
at:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/braillecss.html

then there is the still-born CSS3 Reader Module,

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-reader/

which was "dropped" by the Style activity at the W3C in March 2008,
despite CSS3-Reader's promise to:

<q
cite="http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work.html#reader">
The keyword 'reader' is a media type for use in Media Queries (similar
to 'screen', 'print', 'projection', etc.). Devices that might choose to
apply rules inside '@media reader' are devices like screen readers, that
display a page on screen and speak it at the same time, or display the
page and simultaneously render it on a dynamic braille device. The
properties that apply to this media type are therefore the
combination of the properties for screen, speech and braille.
</q>

and i can not identify a clear-cut successor to the CSS3-Reader module,
or anything like a CSS3-braille profile (remember, in CSS, "braille" is
refreshable/dynamic while "embossed" is static, paged media -- i am
including bert bos, the w3c's CSS contact and the wai-xtech list in
order to tease out an answer to your question)

there is also information about the braille media type in CSS3's Media
Queries Candidate Recommendation:

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/

a "snapshot" of the state-of-the-art in CSS is contained in the
CSS Snapshot document (a.k.a. CSS Beijing)

http://www.w3.org/TR/css-beijing

which, like the CSS working group's "current work" document:

http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work.html

does not contain any specifics as to using CSS to control refreshable
braille displays, but i am sure that there are many others on this
list more knowledgeable about the subject than i am...  i just wanted
to provide you with some pointers and points-of-departure...

gregory.

CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, [hidden email]