Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Alex Faaborg-3
Firefox 4 will have a sync feature that allows you to access all of your
data (bookmarks, history, passwords, etc) on anything running Firefox.
Firefox (or Firefox Home) is now running on both an increasing large number
of platforms (Linux / OS X / Windows / Android / Meego / Meamo / iOS) and an
increasing large number of form factors (desktop / laptop / phone / slate /
tablet / etc).

We now need a generic term that is more general than "computer" to describe
the things on which Firefox runs.  In particular, this is now coming up with
design work on how you activate Firefox sync on a second device.  The device
you are activating could really be anything (computer, phone, etc), and
since we won't know what you are trying to activate ahead of time, in
preferences we are considering the generic string "Add a Device."

Full mockups are here:
http://people.mozilla.com/~faaborg/files/firefox4Mockups/jpakeFlow-i1/jpakeFlow-i1.htm<http://people.mozilla.com/%7Efaaborg/files/firefox4Mockups/jpakeFlow-i1/jpakeFlow-i1.htm>

Do other languages have usually a concept that could describe any hardware
format that Firefox might be running on, that can stand in for "device"?

-Alex

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

flod
Il 06/11/10 01.43, Alex Faaborg ha scritto:
> Do other languages have usually a concept that could describe any hardware
> format that Firefox might be running on, that can stand in for "device"?
In Italian you can safely use the translation "dispositivo".

Francesco

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Sasa Tekovic
On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Alex Faaborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do other languages have usually a concept that could describe any hardware
> format that Firefox might be running on, that can stand in for "device"?

Hi,

in Croatian we usually use term "device" (uređaj) in situations like
this, so there is no problem with Croatian language.

Cheers!

--
Sasa Tekovic

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Matjaz Horvat
In Slovenian we can easily say "naprava" and we are already using this
translation.

Matjaž

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Sasa Tekovic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Alex Faaborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Do other languages have usually a concept that could describe any
> hardware
> > format that Firefox might be running on, that can stand in for "device"?
>
> Hi,
>
> in Croatian we usually use term "device" (uređaj) in situations like
> this, so there is no problem with Croatian language.
>
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Sasa Tekovic

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Alexander L. Slovesnik-2
Hi Alex Faaborg
  06.11.2010 03:43 you wrote:
> Do other languages have usually a concept that could describe any hardware
> format that Firefox might be running on, that can stand in for "device"?

No problem for Russian. I usually translate "device" as "устройство".

--
Sincerely yours,
 Alexander L. Slovesnik a.k.a. Unghost

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Benoit Leseul
Le 6/11/2010 01:43, Alex Faaborg a écrit :
> [...]
> Do other languages have usually a concept that could describe any hardware
> format that Firefox might be running on, that can stand in for "device"?

Hi Alex,

This is indeed a concept a little difficult to grasp in French.

Traditionally, in various operating systems and for things like mouses
or printers attached to a computer, it is translated as "périphérique"
(=peripheral in English). This doesn't work well for a phone or tablet
which can work by itself without any computer.

We can use "appareil" (=apparatus in English) or "équipement" for these,
but this, in turn, doesn't work so well for a computer.

If the concept of "device" is kept like in your mockups, we will
probably have to translate this as "other computer or device".

--
Benoit
FrenchMozilla l10n team

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Robert Kaiser
Alex Faaborg schrieb:
> Do other languages have usually a concept that could describe any hardware
> format that Firefox might be running on, that can stand in for "device"?

"Gerät" in German should just work fine for that.

Robert Kaiser

--
Note that any statements of mine - no matter how passionate - are never
meant to be offensive but very often as food for thought or possible

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Vito Smolej-3

> Do other languages have usually a concept that could describe any hardware
> format that Firefox might be running on, that can stand in for "device"?
>
> -Alex

No problem in SL: Naprava works just fine in the context.

Regards

smo.

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Tim Babych
06.11.10 02:43, Alex Faaborg написав(ла):

> Do other languages have usually a concept that could describe any hardware
> format that Firefox might be running on, that can stand in for "device"?

No problem for Ukrainian here.
The word is "пристрій" for the sake of linguistical roll call :)

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

F Wolff-2
Op Vr, 2010-11-05 om 17:43 -0700 skryf Alex Faaborg:

> Firefox 4 will have a sync feature that allows you to access all of your
> data (bookmarks, history, passwords, etc) on anything running Firefox.
> Firefox (or Firefox Home) is now running on both an increasing large number
> of platforms (Linux / OS X / Windows / Android / Meego / Meamo / iOS) and an
> increasing large number of form factors (desktop / laptop / phone / slate /
> tablet / etc).
>
> We now need a generic term that is more general than "computer" to describe
> the things on which Firefox runs.  In particular, this is now coming up with
> design work on how you activate Firefox sync on a second device.  The device
> you are activating could really be anything (computer, phone, etc), and
> since we won't know what you are trying to activate ahead of time, in
> preferences we are considering the generic string "Add a Device."
>
> Full mockups are here:
> http://people.mozilla.com/~faaborg/files/firefox4Mockups/jpakeFlow-i1/jpakeFlow-i1.htm<http://people.mozilla.com/%7Efaaborg/files/firefox4Mockups/jpakeFlow-i1/jpakeFlow-i1.htm>
>
> Do other languages have usually a concept that could describe any hardware
> format that Firefox might be running on, that can stand in for "device"?

An alternative I'm thinking of now is to emphasise the software rather
than the hardware.  In other words, we might want to refer to "Firefox
on another device", rather than just "another device". We probably can't
get rid of references to the hardware entirely, and we might not even
want to, but referring to the software might help to emphasise that this
is a Firefox feature (in other words, it doesn't work with the iPhone
unless you have Firefox home installed).

In Afrikaans I can probably use the translation for "device" without too
many problems, but it doesn't remind all that strongly of desktop
computers. I'm thinking of alternatives in the direction of "machine"
and "system".

Friedel

--
Recently on my blog:
http://translate.org.za/blogs/friedel/en/content/latest-pootle-news

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Eduard Gamonal
after a brief discussion in our community, we think that the current
translation of "device" in Catalan is fine in this context.

Edu

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 13:03, F Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Op Vr, 2010-11-05 om 17:43 -0700 skryf Alex Faaborg:
> > Firefox 4 will have a sync feature that allows you to access all of your
> > data (bookmarks, history, passwords, etc) on anything running Firefox.
> > Firefox (or Firefox Home) is now running on both an increasing large
> number
> > of platforms (Linux / OS X / Windows / Android / Meego / Meamo / iOS) and
> an
> > increasing large number of form factors (desktop / laptop / phone / slate
> /
> > tablet / etc).
> >
> > We now need a generic term that is more general than "computer" to
> describe
> > the things on which Firefox runs.  In particular, this is now coming up
> with
> > design work on how you activate Firefox sync on a second device.  The
> device
> > you are activating could really be anything (computer, phone, etc), and
> > since we won't know what you are trying to activate ahead of time, in
> > preferences we are considering the generic string "Add a Device."
> >
> > Full mockups are here:
> >
> http://people.mozilla.com/~faaborg/files/firefox4Mockups/jpakeFlow-i1/jpakeFlow-i1.htm<http://people.mozilla.com/%7Efaaborg/files/firefox4Mockups/jpakeFlow-i1/jpakeFlow-i1.htm>
> <
> http://people.mozilla.com/%7Efaaborg/files/firefox4Mockups/jpakeFlow-i1/jpakeFlow-i1.htm
> >

> > Do other languages have usually a concept that could describe any
> hardware
> > format that Firefox might be running on, that can stand in for "device"?
>

> An alternative I'm thinking of now is to emphasise the software rather
> than the hardware.  In other words, we might want to refer to "Firefox
> on another device", rather than just "another device". We probably can't
> get rid of references to the hardware entirely, and we might not even
> want to, but referring to the software might help to emphasise that this
> is a Firefox feature (in other words, it doesn't work with the iPhone
> unless you have Firefox home installed).
>
> In Afrikaans I can probably use the translation for "device" without too
> many problems, but it doesn't remind all that strongly of desktop
> computers. I'm thinking of alternatives in the direction of "machine"
> and "system".
>
> Friedel
>
> --
> Recently on my blog:
> http://translate.org.za/blogs/friedel/en/content/latest-pootle-news

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Fjoerfoks
While looking at the outstanding bug about translating the beta download
page, I came to the following:
For Dutch and Frisian "devices" can be translated with "apparaten", when
you are pointing to different kinds of hardware.
But when on the page http://www.mozilla.com/en-GB/m/beta.html I would
rather use the word "modellen".
This might even be the case in English.

Kind regards,
Wim benes
[hidden email]
Typ mar Frysk
fjoerfoks.blogspot.com
www.mozilla-nl.org/
www.mozbrowser.nl
www.fryskesoftware.nl

Op 9-11-2010 11:21, skreau Eduard Gamonal:

> after a brief discussion in our community, we think that the current
> translation of "device" in Catalan is fine in this context.
>
> Edu
>

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 13:03, F Wolff<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Op Vr, 2010-11-05 om 17:43 -0700 skryf Alex Faaborg:
>>> Firefox 4 will have a sync feature that allows you to access all of your
>>> data (bookmarks, history, passwords, etc) on anything running Firefox.
>>> Firefox (or Firefox Home) is now running on both an increasing large
>> number
>>> of platforms (Linux / OS X / Windows / Android / Meego / Meamo / iOS) and
>> an
>>> increasing large number of form factors (desktop / laptop / phone / slate
>> /
>>> tablet / etc).
>>>
>>> We now need a generic term that is more general than "computer" to
>> describe
>>> the things on which Firefox runs.  In particular, this is now coming up
>> with
>>> design work on how you activate Firefox sync on a second device.  The
>> device
>>> you are activating could really be anything (computer, phone, etc), and
>>> since we won't know what you are trying to activate ahead of time, in
>>> preferences we are considering the generic string "Add a Device."
>>>
>>> Full mockups are here:
>>>
>> http://people.mozilla.com/~faaborg/files/firefox4Mockups/jpakeFlow-i1/jpakeFlow-i1.htm<http://people.mozilla.com/%7Efaaborg/files/firefox4Mockups/jpakeFlow-i1/jpakeFlow-i1.htm>
>> <
>> http://people.mozilla.com/%7Efaaborg/files/firefox4Mockups/jpakeFlow-i1/jpakeFlow-i1.htm
>>>
>>> Do other languages have usually a concept that could describe any
>> hardware
>>> format that Firefox might be running on, that can stand in for "device"?
>>
>> An alternative I'm thinking of now is to emphasise the software rather
>> than the hardware.  In other words, we might want to refer to "Firefox
>> on another device", rather than just "another device". We probably can't
>> get rid of references to the hardware entirely, and we might not even
>> want to, but referring to the software might help to emphasise that this
>> is a Firefox feature (in other words, it doesn't work with the iPhone
>> unless you have Firefox home installed).
>>
>> In Afrikaans I can probably use the translation for "device" without too
>> many problems, but it doesn't remind all that strongly of desktop
>> computers. I'm thinking of alternatives in the direction of "machine"
>> and "system".
>>
>> Friedel
>>
>> --
>> Recently on my blog:
>> http://translate.org.za/blogs/friedel/en/content/latest-pootle-news

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Benjamin Smedberg
On 11/5/10 8:43 PM, Alex Faaborg wrote:

> We now need a generic term that is more general than "computer" to describe
> the things on which Firefox runs.  In particular, this is now coming up with

I'm a little surprised that this is necessary. All of the devices you
mentioned are in fact computers. Can't we just keep using "computer" to
describe all of these devices? Are we concerned that most people don't think
of their smartphone as a computer, and won't understand what button to click?

--BDS

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Alex Faaborg-3

> Can't we just keep using "computer" to describe all of these devices? Are
> we concerned that most people don't think of their smartphone as a computer,
> and won't understand what button to click?

Yeah, that's basically our concern.  Depending on the type of device, the
term computer doesn't seem to apply to the full range of potential form
factors.  For instance:

desktop: very much a computer
laptop: still mostly a computer
iPad: kind of, but not really
Phone: definitely not a computer

As suggested earlier in the thread, using something along the lines of "Add
a computer or other device" would be fine in the event that the term device
by itself doesn't feel descriptive enough to capture the full range of
hardware.

-Alex

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Benjamin Smedberg <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 11/5/10 8:43 PM, Alex Faaborg wrote:
>
>  We now need a generic term that is more general than "computer" to
>> describe
>> the things on which Firefox runs.  In particular, this is now coming up
>> with
>>

> I'm a little surprised that this is necessary. All of the devices you
> mentioned are in fact computers. Can't we just keep using "computer" to
> describe all of these devices? Are we concerned that most people don't think
> of their smartphone as a computer, and won't understand what button to
> click?
>
> --BDS

Re: Strings to describe the generic concept of "devices"

Ehsan Akhgari
In order to answer your original question: no, you can't assume that
other languages have an equivalent to "Device" (Persian doesn't, and I
suspect that it's not alone in our 70+ supported languages).

On 10-11-09 2:18 PM, Alex Faaborg wrote:

>> Can't we just keep using "computer" to describe all of these devices? Are
>> we concerned that most people don't think of their smartphone as a computer,
>> and won't understand what button to click?
>

> Yeah, that's basically our concern.  Depending on the type of device, the
> term computer doesn't seem to apply to the full range of potential form
> factors.  For instance:
>
> desktop: very much a computer
> laptop: still mostly a computer
> iPad: kind of, but not really
> Phone: definitely not a computer
>
> As suggested earlier in the thread, using something along the lines of "Add
> a computer or other device" would be fine in the event that the term device
> by itself doesn't feel descriptive enough to capture the full range of
> hardware.

Can't we just use images to resolve the ambiguity here, instead of
relying on words?

Ehsan