Strange mailbox problems (Mozilla 1.7.12 Windows)

Strange mailbox problems (Mozilla 1.7.12 Windows)

fusion-3
Because of configuration-file problems I decided to do everything from
scratch and while I was at it, upgrade to the latest version of Mozilla.

Just to avoid any confusion regarding my new problem, here's what i did:

a) I backed up all my profile folders
b) I de-installed Mozilla (1.7.11 I think) by going to the de-install
option within the Windows control panels.
c) I downloaded version 1.7.12 of Mozilla and installed it.
d) I then created brand new profiles from scratch, then creating new
email accounts.
e) in order to access my previous email messages I copied the
(previously backed-up) mail files over to the new email folders.

Well, everything looked fine so far, but here's the strangeness which
didn't appear before:

1) If I move one (or several) messages from one mailbox to another, the
target mailbox displays the amount of messages in bold, after the
mailbox name, as if I've received a new, unread message. For example:
    Inbox (1)

2) In addition, the target mailbox gets a completely blank email message
with no sender or recipient as well as no subject.
The only thing that identifies it is the date/time, as follows:
   01.01.1970 01:00

3) The "(1)" in bold goes away after I read that blank message.

4) If I create a sub-folder within any email account I get the error
message "A folder with that name already exists. Please enter a
different name".
There's absolutely no chance that a folder with the same name exists,
and this error message comes up whenever I create a new subfolder.
But regardless, the folder is created, with the name I've given it.
Still, a new popup window comes up after the initial error message where
I'm asked which name I want to give it. At this stage I just press the
"Cancel" button and that popup is exited.

What's all this about? A major bug?

Re: Strange mailbox problems (Mozilla 1.7.12 Windows)

fusion-3
Fusion wrote:

> 4) If I create a sub-folder within any email account I get the error
> message "A folder with that name already exists. Please enter a
> different name".

Forgot to say that this error message also comes up if I drag a mailbox
(sub-folder) to the trashcan! Weird.

Re: Strange mailbox problems (Mozilla 1.7.12 Windows)

gwtc
Fusion wrote:

> Because of configuration-file problems I decided to do everything from
> scratch and while I was at it, upgrade to the latest version of Mozilla.
>
> Just to avoid any confusion regarding my new problem, here's what i did:
>
> a) I backed up all my profile folders
> b) I de-installed Mozilla (1.7.11 I think) by going to the de-install
> option within the Windows control panels.
> c) I downloaded version 1.7.12 of Mozilla and installed it.
> d) I then created brand new profiles from scratch, then creating new
> email accounts.
> e) in order to access my previous email messages I copied the
> (previously backed-up) mail files over to the new email folders.
>
> Well, everything looked fine so far, but here's the strangeness which
> didn't appear before:
>
> 1) If I move one (or several) messages from one mailbox to another, the
> target mailbox displays the amount of messages in bold, after the
> mailbox name, as if I've received a new, unread message. For example:
>    Inbox (1)
>
> 2) In addition, the target mailbox gets a completely blank email message
> with no sender or recipient as well as no subject.
> The only thing that identifies it is the date/time, as follows:
>   01.01.1970 01:00
>
> 3) The "(1)" in bold goes away after I read that blank message.
>
> 4) If I create a sub-folder within any email account I get the error
> message "A folder with that name already exists. Please enter a
> different name".
> There's absolutely no chance that a folder with the same name exists,
> and this error message comes up whenever I create a new subfolder.
> But regardless, the folder is created, with the name I've given it.
> Still, a new popup window comes up after the initial error message where
> I'm asked which name I want to give it. At this stage I just press the
> "Cancel" button and that popup is exited.
>

> What's all this about? A major bug?
There are two things wrong and can be fixed.  As for the blank
messages, those are common.  Nothing to get overly excited about.

Close ALL of Moz including QuickLaunch.

Go into the Mail section of your profile and delete all the *.msf
files.  Don't delete any files with an extension.  This should correct
the blank messages and the wrong unread settings.

As for the "folder already exists" message.  You may not see the
folder within the Moz Mail, but there might be a hidden folder there.
So browse around in the Mail section of the profile and remove any
left over enteries for the folder you're trying to create.  The
problem might have been a left over msf file, which you will have
already deleted above.

Sometimes, when I create a new folder, nothing shows up, so I create
it again, then I get that "folder already exists" message.  So I end
up having to close Moz and restarting it and low and behold, there it is.

As for the Trash Can problem, you can't have the same 2 folders within
the trash can, so again, follow the directions above.

gwtc wrote:

> Fusion wrote:
>
>> 1) If I move one (or several) messages from one mailbox to another,
>> the target mailbox displays the amount of messages in bold, after the
>> mailbox name, as if I've received a new, unread message. For example:
>>    Inbox (1)
>>
>> 2) In addition, the target mailbox gets a completely blank email
>> message with no sender or recipient as well as no subject.
>> The only thing that identifies it is the date/time, as follows:
>>   01.01.1970 01:00

> Go into the Mail section of your profile and delete all the *.msf
> files.  Don't delete any files with an extension.  This should correct
> the blank messages and the wrong unread settings.

I already tried this with one of the email account folders (I decided to
try out one account first, just in case it messes up everything it won't
have affected all my accounts!), but it didn't solve the problem.
What exactly are the ".msf" files for?
Is it important for me to remove *all* ".msf" files -are they connected
together somehow, or do they just refer to the actual mailbox files
within that email account folder?

> As for the "folder already exists" message.  You may not see the folder
> within the Moz Mail, but there might be a hidden folder there. So browse
> around in the Mail section of the profile and remove any left over
> enteries for the folder you're trying to create.  The problem might have
> been a left over msf file, which you will have already deleted above.

I've tried creating folders with random names that there's no chance I
could have created in the past, so that can't be it.

> Sometimes, when I create a new folder, nothing shows up, so I create it
> again, then I get that "folder already exists" message.  So I end up
> having to close Moz and restarting it and low and behold, there it is.
>
> As for the Trash Can problem, you can't have the same 2 folders within
> the trash can, so again, follow the directions above.

I know. I've had this problem in the past, but after quitting Mozilla
and restarting it I can delete the folder.

Re: Strange mailbox problems (Mozilla 1.7.12 Windows)

Leonidas Jones
Fusion wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>> Fusion wrote:
>>
>>> 1) If I move one (or several) messages from one mailbox to another,
>>> the target mailbox displays the amount of messages in bold, after the
>>> mailbox name, as if I've received a new, unread message. For example:
>>>    Inbox (1)
>>>
>>> 2) In addition, the target mailbox gets a completely blank email
>>> message with no sender or recipient as well as no subject.
>>> The only thing that identifies it is the date/time, as follows:
>>>   01.01.1970 01:00
>

>> Go into the Mail section of your profile and delete all the *.msf
>> files.  Don't delete any files with an extension.  This should correct
>> the blank messages and the wrong unread settings.
>
> I already tried this with one of the email account folders (I decided to
> try out one account first, just in case it messes up everything it won't
> have affected all my accounts!), but it didn't solve the problem.
> What exactly are the ".msf" files for?
> Is it important for me to remove *all* ".msf" files -are they connected
> together somehow, or do they just refer to the actual mailbox files
> within that email account folder?
>

>> As for the "folder already exists" message.  You may not see the
>> folder within the Moz Mail, but there might be a hidden folder there.
>> So browse around in the Mail section of the profile and remove any
>> left over enteries for the folder you're trying to create.  The
>> problem might have been a left over msf file, which you will have
>> already deleted above.
>
> I've tried creating folders with random names that there's no chance I
> could have created in the past, so that can't be it.
>

>> Sometimes, when I create a new folder, nothing shows up, so I create
>> it again, then I get that "folder already exists" message.  So I end
>> up having to close Moz and restarting it and low and behold, there it is.
>>
>> As for the Trash Can problem, you can't have the same 2 folders within
>> the trash can, so again, follow the directions above.
>
> I know. I've had this problem in the past, but after quitting Mozilla
> and restarting it I can delete the folder.

ms,f mail summary files, the files that index your folders for display
purposes.  It never hurts to delete them, since they are rebuilt when
needed, and deleteing a corrupt msf can solve a lot of problems.

Lee

Fusion wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>> Fusion wrote:
>>
>>> 1) If I move one (or several) messages from one mailbox to another,
>>> the target mailbox displays the amount of messages in bold, after the
>>> mailbox name, as if I've received a new, unread message. For example:
>>>    Inbox (1)
>>>
>>> 2) In addition, the target mailbox gets a completely blank email
>>> message with no sender or recipient as well as no subject.
>>> The only thing that identifies it is the date/time, as follows:
>>>   01.01.1970 01:00
>

>> Go into the Mail section of your profile and delete all the *.msf
>> files.  Don't delete any files with an extension.  This should correct
>> the blank messages and the wrong unread settings.
>

> I already tried this with one of the email account folders (I decided to
> try out one account first, just in case it messes up everything it won't
> have affected all my accounts!), but it didn't solve the problem.
> What exactly are the ".msf" files for?
> Is it important for me to remove *all* ".msf" files -are they connected
> together somehow, or do they just refer to the actual mailbox files
> within that email account folder?
>

>> As for the "folder already exists" message.  You may not see the
>> folder within the Moz Mail, but there might be a hidden folder there.
>> So browse around in the Mail section of the profile and remove any
>> left over enteries for the folder you're trying to create.  The
>> problem might have been a left over msf file, which you will have
>> already deleted above.

msf files are index files.  They tell the folder whether its sorted
from A to Z or Z to A, or if its threaded, and a bunch of other
things.  They are not connected to each other.  For each folder you
create in Moz, an msf file will be created.  When you delete them,
with Moz closed, they will be rebuilt upon restarting Moz.  The only
problem you'll have to deal with is your sorting, threading and other
things.

> I've tried creating folders with random names that there's no chance I
> could have created in the past, so that can't be it.

Maybe you did and you just don't remember.  Sometimes, when you delete
the folder within the Moz Mail app., the msf file doesn't get removed.
  Its supposed to be remove automatically, but sometimes it doesn't.
So thats why I said to delete ALL the msf files.

>> Sometimes, when I create a new folder, nothing shows up, so I create
>> it again, then I get that "folder already exists" message.  So I end
>> up having to close Moz and restarting it and low and behold, there it is.
>>
>> As for the Trash Can problem, you can't have the same 2 folders within
>> the trash can, so again, follow the directions above.
>

> I know. I've had this problem in the past, but after quitting Mozilla
> and restarting it I can delete the folder.

Again, delete ALL the msf files.  This trick usually solves most of
the problems one encounters.

gwtc wrote:
> Fusion wrote:

> Again, delete ALL the msf files.  This trick usually solves most of the
> problems one encounters.

Well, as long as I don't lose any of the information regarding "read",
"replied" etc. I don't mind if the index files need to be rebuilt.

Now, I have quite a lot of mail-accounts and mailboxes, so is there an
easy way in Windows ME to locate ALL of the .MSF files and trash them?
It'll take forever to manually locate them.

Fusion wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>> Fusion wrote:
>

>> Again, delete ALL the msf files.  This trick usually solves most of
>> the problems one encounters.
>

> Well, as long as I don't lose any of the information regarding "read",
> "replied" etc. I don't mind if the index files need to be rebuilt.
>
> Now, I have quite a lot of mail-accounts and mailboxes, so is there an
> easy way in Windows ME to locate ALL of the .MSF files and trash them?
> It'll take forever to manually locate them.
First, close Moz.  Then click on Start, Find, and "File or Folders" is
the one you want.  When thats up, in the "named" you want to put in
*.msf and in the "Look in" you want to Browse to the top of the Mail
folder within your profile, and off you go.  When its finished, click
on the first one, hold down the shift key and click on the last one,
then hit delete.