Strange happening to my posts to this newsgroup

Strange happening to my posts to this newsgroup

Jeff Barnett
I have received emails from two individuals in the avasflowers.com
domain with subject "Re: Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price? #M10397542"
asking me to not send such messages to them. These messages referenced
are a couple of my posts to the thread questioning "Is SSD worth the
price?" in this newsgroup. It's probable that an employee has signed
then up for newsgroups at news.mozilla.org. I have no idea how to
untangle this issue or whether they are receiving others' posts as well
as mine. Any suggestions?
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Strange happening to my posts to this newsgroup

Daniel-2
Jeff Barnett wrote on 20/04/18 14:35:
> I have received emails from two individuals in the avasflowers.com
> domain with subject "Re: Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price? #M10397542"
> asking me to not send such messages to them. These messages referenced
> are a couple of my posts to the thread questioning "Is SSD worth the
> price?" in this newsgroup. It's probable that an employee has signed
> then up for newsgroups at news.mozilla.org. I have no idea how to
> untangle this issue or whether they are receiving others' posts as well
> as mine. Any suggestions?

Jeff, I seem to recall that people could elect to receive the posts to
groups on the news.mozilla.org server by e-mail or some such.

And, somewhere in that post, there are instructions on how to stop
receiving those e-mails ... possibly by responding to the server with
"Unsubscribe" in Subject:.

Additionally, if someone were to click on "Forward" rather than "Reply",
the reply would go to the sender rather than to the newsgroup. Or
something like that!!

If you give your "friends" this information, it might help!!

Sorry, only just noted that your problem is not with this server ....
but, maybe, the solution is similar!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Strange happening to my posts to this newsgroup

Wolf K.
On 2018-04-20 00:35, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> I have received emails from two individuals in the avasflowers.com

I suppose you are on Ava's Flowers email list as a customer?

> domain with subject "Re: Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price? #M10397542"
> asking me to not send such messages to them. These messages referenced
> are a couple of my posts to the thread questioning "Is SSD worth the
> price?" in this newsgroup. It's probable that an employee has signed
> then up for newsgroups at news.mozilla.org. I have no idea how to  > untangle this issue or whether they are receiving others' posts as well
> as mine. Any suggestions?

I advise a thorough malware scan. The most likely cause is that your
machine has been infected with a bot that is randomly sending stuff to
your email list.

The fact that there are multiple "Re" suggests that one or more machines
down the line are (also) infected. One machine in an email network is
enough to cause this kind of nonsense. It's happened to my circle of
friends'n'relations more than once.

See Daniel's post: Are you participating in this newsgroup via Usenet or
via email? If via email, then the email-hijacking bot is IMO the most
likely scenario.

In any case, I don't think there is a simple diagnosis or cure. Ava's
Flowers should do a thorough malware scan of their systems, too.

Good luck,

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Wolf K wrote on 4/20/2018 7:06 AM:

> On 2018-04-20 00:35, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> I have received emails from two individuals in the avasflowers.com
>
> I suppose you are on Ava's Flowers email list as a customer?
>
>> domain with subject "Re: Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price? #M10397542"
>> asking me to not send such messages to them. These messages referenced
>> are a couple of my posts to the thread questioning "Is SSD worth the
>> price?" in this newsgroup. It's probable that an employee has signed
>> then up for newsgroups at news.mozilla.org. I have no idea how to  >
>> untangle this issue or whether they are receiving others' posts as well
>> as mine. Any suggestions?
>
> I advise a thorough malware scan. The most likely cause is that your
> machine has been infected with a bot that is randomly sending stuff to
> your email list.
>
> The fact that there are multiple "Re" suggests that one or more machines
> down the line are (also) infected. One machine in an email network is
> enough to cause this kind of nonsense. It's happened to my circle of
> friends'n'relations more than once.
>
> See Daniel's post: Are you participating in this newsgroup via Usenet or
> via email? If via email, then the email-hijacking bot is IMO the most
> likely scenario.
>
> In any case, I don't think there is a simple diagnosis or cure. Ava's
> Flowers should do a thorough malware scan of their systems, too.
>
> Good luck,

Thanks for the reply. I have Malwarebytes and it does a full machine
scan (2+ hours) once a week. I'll poke around some more and see what I
can find.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Strange happening to my posts to this newsgroup

Balaco ocalaB
Em 20-04-2018 11:27, Jeff Barnett escreveu:
> (...) I have Malwarebytes and it does a full machine
> scan (2+ hours) once a week. I'll poke around some more and see what I
> can find.

There cannot be anything in your machine to justify bad emails you
receive. In my opinion, you are wasting your time, you machine and
possibly other things with things like Malwarebytes. The chance of that
is very very very very very very very very low. Just accept that if you
publish your email in newsgroups, you will eventually receive bad
messages, which you may even call spam.

If you use a good operating system, good programs, and care what you do
in your machine, you will never put any malware in it.

If the messages are not frequent, as I bet, you may simply ignore them.

If they are frequent and do not stop, you may train your mail services
to consider them spam. By "mail services" I meant: programs you use,
similar to Thunderbird; webmail services; or mail providers - whatever
applies.

An alternative to spam engines is to create a message filter for the
unwanted messages. Sometimes there are a good and easy option.

--
=
        quem você é?

   2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
   2.b. You may do it here:

   https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

Balaco ocalaB wrote on 4/20/2018 8:57 AM:

> Em 20-04-2018 11:27, Jeff Barnett escreveu:
>> (...) I have Malwarebytes and it does a full machine
>> scan (2+ hours) once a week. I'll poke around some more and see what I
>> can find.
>
> There cannot be anything in your machine to justify bad emails you
> receive. In my opinion, you are wasting your time, you machine and
> possibly other things with things like Malwarebytes. The chance of that
> is very very very very very very very very low. Just accept that if you
> publish your email in newsgroups, you will eventually receive bad
> messages, which you may even call spam.
>
> If you use a good operating system, good programs, and care what you do
> in your machine, you will never put any malware in it.
>
> If the messages are not frequent, as I bet, you may simply ignore them.
>
> If they are frequent and do not stop, you may train your mail services
> to consider them spam. By "mail services" I meant: programs you use,
> similar to Thunderbird; webmail services; or mail providers - whatever
> applies.
>
> An alternative to spam engines is to create a message filter for the
> unwanted messages. Sometimes there are a good and easy option.

I'm not the one receiving bad messages, it's a domain I'm not familiar
with. Those emails appear to come from me but I only see the originals
directed to a Mozilla newsgroup. (See my original message to this thread
above.)

On 2018-04-20 10:27, Jeff Barnett wrote:

> Wolf K wrote on 4/20/2018 7:06 AM:
>> On 2018-04-20 00:35, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>>> I have received emails from two individuals in the avasflowers.com
>>
>> I suppose you are on Ava's Flowers email list as a customer?
>>
>>> domain with subject "Re: Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price? #M10397542"
>>> asking me to not send such messages to them. These messages
>>> referenced are a couple of my posts to the thread questioning "Is SSD
>>> worth the price?" in this newsgroup. It's probable that an employee
>>> has signed then up for newsgroups at news.mozilla.org. I have no idea
>>> how to  > untangle this issue or whether they are receiving others'
>>> posts as well
>>> as mine. Any suggestions?
>>
>> I advise a thorough malware scan. The most likely cause is that your
>> machine has been infected with a bot that is randomly sending stuff to
>> your email list.
>>
>> The fact that there are multiple "Re" suggests that one or more
>> machines down the line are (also) infected. One machine in an email
>> network is enough to cause this kind of nonsense. It's happened to my
>> circle of friends'n'relations more than once.
>>
>> See Daniel's post: Are you participating in this newsgroup via Usenet
>> or via email? If via email, then the email-hijacking bot is IMO the
>> most likely scenario.
>>
>> In any case, I don't think there is a simple diagnosis or cure. Ava's
>> Flowers should do a thorough malware scan of their systems, too.
>>
>> Good luck,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I have Malwarebytes and it does a full machine
> scan (2+ hours) once a week. I'll poke around some more and see what I
> can find.

Get at least three other anti-malware products. No one product will find
all the problems.

Good luck,

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Em 20-04-2018 12:57, Jeff Barnett escreveu:

> Balaco ocalaB wrote on 4/20/2018 8:57 AM:
>> Em 20-04-2018 11:27, Jeff Barnett escreveu:
>>> (...) I have Malwarebytes and it does a full machine
>>> scan (2+ hours) once a week. I'll poke around some more and see what I
>>> can find.
>>
>> There cannot be anything in your machine to justify bad emails you
>> receive. In my opinion, you are wasting your time, you machine and
>> possibly other things with things like Malwarebytes. The chance of
>> that is very very very very very very very very low. Just accept that
>> if you publish your email in newsgroups, you will eventually receive
>> bad messages, which you may even call spam.
>>
>> If you use a good operating system, good programs, and care what you
>> do in your machine, you will never put any malware in it.
>>
>> If the messages are not frequent, as I bet, you may simply ignore them.
>>
>> If they are frequent and do not stop, you may train your mail services
>> to consider them spam. By "mail services" I meant: programs you use,
>> similar to Thunderbird; webmail services; or mail providers - whatever
>> applies.
>>
>> An alternative to spam engines is to create a message filter for the
>> unwanted messages. Sometimes there are a good and easy option.
>
> I'm not the one receiving bad messages, it's a domain I'm not familiar
> with. Those emails appear to come from me but I only see the originals
> directed to a Mozilla newsgroup. (See my original message to this thread
> above.)

If you think the said individuals are not doing anything wrong by
sending you a message, you may point them to this discussion. Or you may
simply write some ideas for them, explaining the situation.

If you think that receiving the said messages from them is something
bad, you may avoid them with one of the steps I mentioned.

--
=
        quem você é?
        to show who you are?

   2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
   2.b. You may do it here:

   https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

Re: Strange happening to my posts to this newsgroup

Richard Owlett-3
On 04/20/2018 09:57 AM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
> { *MASSIVE* snip}
> If they are frequent and do not stop, you may train your mail services
> to consider them spam. By "mail services" I meant: programs you use,
> similar to Thunderbird; webmail services; or mail providers - whatever
> applies.
>
> An alternative to spam engines is to create a message filter for the
> unwanted messages. Sometimes there are a good and easy option.

There may be a frequently missed/ignored/??? question:
     When is *FREE* too costly?

I generally avoid "free" email servers and USENET access services.
They *COST* too much aggravation and lost time.

 >2 decades ago my email provider was a *small* retail hardware outlet.
They evolved into a company providing services to small/medium sized
businesses in a geographically localized area.
They were once a specialized ISP
    was one of their *LAST* 4 dial-up clients.

My www access is now thru a behemoth!

My former ISP is now my email provider.
In that realm they are a Barracuda client.
   In my "universe of discourse" I see *NO* spam.
For general USENET access I use supernews.com.
   Once again I have *few* of the problems others report.

IOW
    Does "free" *COST* too *MUCH*?

Re: Strange happening to my posts to this newsgroup

Mozilla - General mailing list
On 04/19/2018 10:35 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> I have no idea how to untangle this issue or whether they are receiving
> others' posts as well as mine. Any suggestions?

Reply to them asking for a full copy of the headers of the message(s)
they are complaining about.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Jeff Barnett wrote on 21/04/18 01:57:

> Balaco ocalaB wrote on 4/20/2018 8:57 AM:
>> Em 20-04-2018 11:27, Jeff Barnett escreveu:
>>> (...) I have Malwarebytes and it does a full machine
>>> scan (2+ hours) once a week. I'll poke around some more and see what I
>>> can find.
>>
>> There cannot be anything in your machine to justify bad emails you
>> receive. In my opinion, you are wasting your time, you machine and
>> possibly other things with things like Malwarebytes. The chance of
>> that is very very very very very very very very low. Just accept that
>> if you publish your email in newsgroups, you will eventually receive
>> bad messages, which you may even call spam.
>>
>> If you use a good operating system, good programs, and care what you
>> do in your machine, you will never put any malware in it.
>>
>> If the messages are not frequent, as I bet, you may simply ignore them.
>>
>> If they are frequent and do not stop, you may train your mail services
>> to consider them spam. By "mail services" I meant: programs you use,
>> similar to Thunderbird; webmail services; or mail providers - whatever
>> applies.
>>
>> An alternative to spam engines is to create a message filter for the
>> unwanted messages. Sometimes there are a good and easy option.
>
> I'm not the one receiving bad messages, it's a domain I'm not familiar
> with. Those emails appear to come from me but I only see the originals
> directed to a Mozilla newsgroup. (See my original message to this thread
> above.)

All right, I misunderstood, again.

I have also received e-mails, supposedly sent by me, and also set to
many other e-mail addresses.

I spoke, personally, with my ISP to see what might happen if any of
these other e-mail address owners were to complain about me to my ISP
and he stated that he had confidence that it was not me that was doing
the spamming, so would not act on the reports.

My be worth while you having a similar conversation with your ISP!!