Strange URL

Jeff Barnett
My spouse, this morning, went to Google for Walmart via the search
window (upper right hand corner) then clicked on the first entry that
came up. That entry looked like a fairly normal paid-for advert. She got
a piece of crapware rather than a trip to Walmart. I then tracked down
the problem and fixed - I hope - the damage. I went back to the Google
search and found the URL resembled

   https://walmart.com/ip/a-string of weirdness

My first question:

Does the nugget /ip/ have some standardized meaning and, if so, what?
BTW, a few hours latter, the Google search results were repaired.

The crapware that was pulled in grabbed the browser with making eerie
sounds and issuing spooky warning. If you clicked it off, it restarted
the activity again. I simply killed FF using ctrl-shift-esc in Windows
7. However when I loaded the browser again, the bad stuff started up. My
next try was to load a new private window and nothing bad happened so I
took the opportunity to flush the cache then restart normally. Every
thing this time and the crapware seems to be gone.

Other questions:

If you change some option settings while in a private browser, are they
sticky?

Any guesses what was inhibited in private mode that kept the crapware at
bay so I could get at things?

TIA for any useful guesses or info.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Strange URL

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 05/05/2019 00:51, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> <your spouse's life history snipped>

>   https://walmart.com/ip/a-string of weirdness
>
> My first question:
>
> Does the nugget /ip/ have some standardized meaning and, if so, what?
> BTW, a few hours latter, the Google search results were repaired.

Absolutely NO.  The "ip" must be some folder and it must contain another
folder called "a-string" .  the second folder - "a-string" must contain
a index.html, or index.php or index.asp or whatever is the server's
default page configuration.  Whenever something like "
https://walmart.com/ip/a-string of weirdness" is sent (without any
particular page reference) to the web-server, the default page is
rendered.  If it can't find the page then 404.html is returned. again
this depends on what is in the configuration file.  In your case it is:

[ alt-no ]

> Other questions:
>
> If you change some option settings while in a private browser, are
> they sticky?

I should think so unless the settings is to delete browser and cookies
when the browser is closed.  what are these settings you are talking
about?  Some are unique for private browsing only.

> Any guesses what was inhibited in private mode that kept the crapware
> at bay so I could get at things?

I guess always avoid crapware of any kind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

Re: Strange URL

Jeff Barnett
😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 5/4/2019 6:22 PM:

> On 05/05/2019 00:51, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> <your spouse's life history snipped>
>
>> https://walmart.com/ip/a-string of weirdness
>>
>> My first question:
>>
>> Does the nugget /ip/ have some standardized meaning and, if so, what?
>> BTW, a few hours latter, the Google search results were repaired.
>>
> Absolutely NO.  The "ip" must be some folder and it must contain another
> folder called "a-string" .  the second folder - "a-string" must contain
> a index.html, or index.php or index.asp or whatever is the server's
> default page configuration.  Whenever something like "
> https://walmart.com/ip/a-string of weirdness" is sent (without any
> particular page reference) to the web-server, the default page is
> rendered.  If it can't find the page then 404.html is returned. again
> this depends on what is in the configuration file.  In your case it is:
>
> [ alt-no ]
>

>> Other questions:
>>
>> If you change some option settings while in a private browser, are
>> they sticky?
>
> I should think so unless the settings is to delete browser and cookies
> when the browser is closed.  what are these settings you are talking
> about?  Some are unique for private browsing only.

The settings I am talking about are those in the Tools -> Options dialogue.

>> Any guesses what was inhibited in private mode that kept the crapware
>> at bay so I could get at things?
>
> I guess always avoid crapware of any kind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Strange URL

tanstaafl-2
On 5/4/2019, 7:51:49 PM, Jeff Barnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My spouse, this morning, went to Google for Walmart via the search
> window (upper right hand corner) then clicked on the first entry that
> came up.

Never, ever do that, *especially* when you already know the domain name.

Just click once in the location bar and type 'walmart.com' and press enter.