Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

F1Com
I started getting emails about this before my home page started
displaying it.  Mozilla is not making users happy for forcing views on
others.

Terry

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 11/16/2011 4:21 PM:
> I started getting emails about this before my home page started
> displaying it.  Mozilla is not making users happy for forcing views on
> others.

I'm not seeing it, can you provide the link?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

WaltS-3
On 11/16/2011 07:21 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I started getting emails about this before my home page started
> displaying it. Mozilla is not making users happy for forcing views on
> others.
>
> Terry

Shame that they aren't as worried about stopping censorship.

Mozilla is making them aware of the issue, if they choose to click on
the link, which most of these average, I don't care about anything
morons, probably won't do.

Then they will bitch that they can't get to a site, and blame it on
Firefox, because your government censored it.

Forcing views with a banner over the logos?

--
  Earlybird - openSUSE 11.3 Linux - 1.8GHz CPU - 2GB RAM
  Get openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/114/en

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

defaria
On 11/16/2011 16:21, [hidden email] wrote:
I started getting emails about this before my home page started displaying it.  Mozilla is not making users happy for forcing views on others.
What is this "home page" you speak of? My home page is, err, well @ home - served off of my own server and I can assure you there is no "Stop Censorship" banner there.

Could you be a bit more vague? :-)
--
Andrew DeFaria
In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

J. Weaver Jr.
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 11/16/2011 16:21, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I started getting emails about this before my home page started
>> displaying it. Mozilla is not making users happy for forcing views on
>> others.
> What is this "home page" you speak of? My home page is, err, well @ home
> - served off of my own server and I can assure you there is no "Stop
> Censorship" banner there.
>
> Could you be a bit more vague? :-)

He means "mozilla.org".  -JW

On 11/16/2011 17:52, J. Weaver Jr. wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
On 11/16/2011 16:21, [hidden email] wrote:
I started getting emails about this before my home page started
displaying it. Mozilla is not making users happy for forcing views on
others.
What is this "home page" you speak of? My home page is, err, well @ home
- served off of my own server and I can assure you there is no "Stop
Censorship" banner there.

Could you be a bit more vague? :-)

He means "mozilla.org".  -JW

Next time say what you mean! Not everybody uses mozilla.org as a home page!
--
Andrew DeFaria
What happened to the first 6 ups?

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

Ralph Fox-4
On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:29:00 -0800, in message <[hidden email]>
Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 11/16/2011 4:21 PM:
>
>> Subject: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar
>>
>> I started getting emails about this before my home page started
>> displaying it.  Mozilla is not making users happy for forcing views on
>> others.
>
> I'm not seeing it, can you provide the link?

The URL link is   about:home   (that is Firefox's default home page)

From here, it looks like this today:  http://i41.tinypic.com/2a9y0dl.png

ASCII version:

|                STOP CENSORSHIP
|
|  [...........................................]
|
|    Congress is about to censor the Internet.
|   Help fight for a free and open Web: contact
|         your member of Congress today.

BTW I am not in the US (and I am not a US citizen), so I don't have
a member of Congress.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

David E. Ross-3

Why would you set <http://www.mozilla.org/> as your home page?

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Ralph Fox graced us with on
11/16/2011 8:26 PM:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:29:00 -0800, in message <[hidden email]>
> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>> with on 11/16/2011 4:21 PM:
>>
>>> Subject: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar
>>>
>>> I started getting emails about this before my home page started
>>> displaying it.  Mozilla is not making users happy for forcing views on
>>> others.
>> I'm not seeing it, can you provide the link?
>

> The URL link is   about:home   (that is Firefox's default home page)
>
> From here, it looks like this today:  http://i41.tinypic.com/2a9y0dl.png

[snip /]

Thanks, Ralph. No wonder I didn't see it, my Home Page hasn't pointed to
Mozilla since before Phoenix had arisen :) I've also noticed that many
of their other site pages have similar banners.

Personally, I don't have any problem with Mozilla placing petitions on
their own pages. If I did, I'd simply pick another. ... Oh, wait! I
already did that :)

> BTW I am not in the US (and I am not a US citizen), so I don't have
> a member of Congress.

Lot of foreign nationals have a member or two of Congress. You just need
to pony up enough bribery, erm, contribution money.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

PhillipJones

  see this link: http://www.screencast.com/t/I4lhoBMY

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

Ralph Fox-4
On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 20:53:57 -0800, in message <[hidden email]>
Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ralph Fox graced us with on
> 11/16/2011 8:26 PM:
>
>> The URL link is   about:home   (that is Firefox's default home page)
>> From here, it looks like this today:  http://i41.tinypic.com/2a9y0dl.png
>
> [snip /]
>
> Thanks, Ralph. No wonder I didn't see it, my Home Page hasn't pointed to
> Mozilla since before Phoenix had arisen :) I've also noticed that many
> of their other site pages have similar banners.
>
> Personally, I don't have any problem with Mozilla placing petitions on
> their own pages. If I did, I'd simply pick another. ... Oh, wait! I
> already did that :)

In recent Firefoxes, the default home page is (nominally) a local file,
not a page at Mozilla. I can open and view it even when I am not connected
to the Internet and I have emptied my cache.  The actual local file used
is a .xhtml file inside a .jar file in the same folder as firefox.exe.
You can view this file at the URL chrome://browser/content/aboutHome.xhtml

Firefox also downloads snippets of HTML from Mozilla, stores them in
the file "chromeappsstore.sqlite" in the profile folder, and shows
them on the page when the URL is "about:home".   This is how the
default home page is changed to add the "Stop Censorship" banner.

> > BTW I am not in the US (and I am not a US citizen), so I don't have
> > a member of Congress.
> >
> Lot of foreign nationals have a member or two of Congress. You just need
> to pony up enough bribery, erm, contribution money.

They will be seeking out loopholes or simply breaking the law.  Political
contribution money from a foreign national is illegal under 2 U.S.C. § 441e.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Ralph Fox graced us with on
11/17/2011 12:29 AM:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 20:53:57 -0800, in message <[hidden email]>
> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ralph Fox graced us with on
>> 11/16/2011 8:26 PM:

[snip /]

>> Lot of foreign nationals have a member or two of Congress. You just need
>> to pony up enough bribery, erm, contribution money.
>
> They will be seeking out loopholes or simply breaking the law.  Political
> contribution money from a foreign national is illegal under 2 U.S.C. § 441e.

In a perfect world, people respect the law.

In a political world, not so much,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_United_States_campaign_finance_controversy

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

Daniel-257
Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what Ralph Fox graced us with on
> 11/16/2011 8:26 PM:
>> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:29:00 -0800, in message
>> <[hidden email]> Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>>> with on 11/16/2011 4:21 PM:

<Snip>

> Lot of foreign nationals have a member or two of Congress.

e.g. at least one Australian...Rupert Murdock!!

Oh!! Wait, that's right, he had to surrender his Australian Citizenship
when he became a U S of A citizen for business purposes! (...seems U.S.
have never heard of "Dual Citizenship"!! Works for U.K. citizens!!)

And, yes, I did snip Sailfish's final comment "You just need to pony up
enough bribery, erm, contribution money." Wouldn't want to offend anyone!

--
Daniel

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 11/17/2011
3:43 AM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ralph Fox graced us with on
>> 11/16/2011 8:26 PM:
>>>>

> <Snip>
>
>> Lot of foreign nationals have a member or two of Congress.
>>

> e.g. at least one Australian...Rupert Murdock!!
>
> Oh!! Wait, that's right, he had to surrender his Australian Citizenship
> when he became a U S of A citizen for business purposes! (...seems U.S.
> have never heard of "Dual Citizenship"!! Works for U.K. citizens!!)

Is that an Australian requirement, i.e., no dual citizenships? It used
to be that way in the US but I believe that it's no longer the case.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

F1Com
On 11/16/2011 8:33 PM On a whim, David E. Ross pounded out on the keyboard

>> I started getting emails about this before my home page started
>> displaying it.  Mozilla is not making users happy for forcing views on
>> others.
>>
>> Terry
>
> Why would you set<http://www.mozilla.org/>  as your home page?

I didn't.

Terry

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

Ron Hunter
On 11/17/2011 12:53 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 11/17/2011
> 3:43 AM:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ralph Fox graced us with on
>>> 11/16/2011 8:26 PM:
>>>>>

>> <Snip>
>>
>>> Lot of foreign nationals have a member or two of Congress.
>>>

>> e.g. at least one Australian...Rupert Murdock!!
>>
>> Oh!! Wait, that's right, he had to surrender his Australian
>> Citizenship when he became a U S of A citizen for business purposes!
>> (...seems U.S. have never heard of "Dual Citizenship"!! Works for U.K.
>> citizens!!)
>>
> Is that an Australian requirement, i.e., no dual citizenships? It used
> to be that way in the US but I believe that it's no longer the case.

Dual citizenship is allowed in the US until one becomes 16, then (s)he
must choose.

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

F1Com
On 11/16/2011 4:40 PM On a whim, WLS pounded out on the keyboard

>> I started getting emails about this before my home page started
>> displaying it. Mozilla is not making users happy for forcing views on
>> others.
>>
>> Terry
>
> Shame that they aren't as worried about stopping censorship.

Your opinion is right and they are wrong, correct?

> Mozilla is making them aware of the issue, if they choose to click on
> the link, which most of these average, I don't care about anything
> morons, probably won't do.

I assure you, the ones writing in are far from morons, but I'll put your
email address on all of them letting them know you think they're morons
for not agreeing with you.

> Then they will bitch that they can't get to a site, and blame it on
> Firefox, because your government censored it.
>
> Forcing views with a banner over the logos?

Yes, that's how they feel.

Terry

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

F1Com
On 11/16/2011 4:40 PM On a whim, WLS pounded out on the keyboard

>> I started getting emails about this before my home page started
>> displaying it. Mozilla is not making users happy for forcing views on
>> others.
>>
>> Terry
>
> Shame that they aren't as worried about stopping censorship.
>
> Mozilla is making them aware of the issue, if they choose to click on
> the link, which most of these average, I don't care about anything
> morons, probably won't do.
>
> Then they will bitch that they can't get to a site, and blame it on
> Firefox, because your government censored it.
>
> Forcing views with a banner over the logos?

Here is just ONE of the comments from the "morons", as you call them:

Congress is trying to protect content owners from thieves and pirates.
ISPS should not profit from sites that predominantly distribute
infringed goods and reap the advertising benefits. It is outrageous that
you are manipulating the discussion by using this platform.

On 11/17/11 1:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 11/16/2011 8:33 PM On a whim, David E. Ross pounded out on the keyboard

>>> I started getting emails about this before my home page started
>>> displaying it.  Mozilla is not making users happy for forcing views on
>>> others.
>>>
>>> Terry
>>
>> Why would you set<http://www.mozilla.org/>  as your home page?
>>

> I didn't.
>

> Terry

Oh!  I don't see the banner unless I go to <http://www.mozilla.org/> or
another page in that domain.

My home page is the HTML file I get when exporting my bookmarks from
places.sqlite.  I don't have a banner.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross

Re: Stop Censorship banner on the default home page causing an uproar

F1Com
On 11/17/2011 2:43 PM On a whim, David E. Ross pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Why would you set<http://www.mozilla.org/>   as your home page?
>>>
>> I didn't.
>>

>> Terry
>
> Oh!  I don't see the banner unless I go to<http://www.mozilla.org/>  or
> another page in that domain.
>
> My home page is the HTML file I get when exporting my bookmarks from
> places.sqlite.  I don't have a banner.

Change to the default home page.  I leave my installs as defaults for
support reasons.

Terry