State of Tamarin

Lucas-52
Hi,

i just wanted to ask: What is the state of tamarin? Will it be
integrated in future firefox js engines - or is it cancelled and will
only be used in flash player engines?

Kind Regards,
moonglum

Re: State of Tamarin

Wes Garland
Lucas:

I am not a mozillian, however, IIUC --

 - Tamarin was never slated for Firefox
 - ScreamingMonkey (Taramin's conservative GC + SpiderMonkey) is cancelled
 - Tamarin and TraceMonkey (SpiderMonkey + Tracing JIT) share the same JIT
compiler

Wes

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Lucas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i just wanted to ask: What is the state of tamarin? Will it be
> integrated in future firefox js engines - or is it cancelled and will
> only be used in flash player engines?
>
> Kind Regards,
> moonglum

Wesley W. Garland
Director, Product Development
PageMail, Inc.
+1 613 542 2787 x 102

Re: State of Tamarin

Lucas-52
Wes:

Thanks for your response, heard something similiar in irc from another
non-mozillian!
The JUT Compiler seems to be named NanoJIT.

- Lucas

On 13 Okt., 13:57, Wes Garland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lucas:
>
> I am not a mozillian, however, IIUC --
>
>  - Tamarin was never slated for Firefox
>  - ScreamingMonkey (Taramin's conservative GC + SpiderMonkey) is cancelled
>  - Tamarin and TraceMonkey (SpiderMonkey + Tracing JIT) share the same JIT
> compiler
>
> Wes
>
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Lucas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > i just wanted to ask: What is the state of tamarin? Will it be
> > integrated in future firefox js engines - or is it cancelled and will
> > only be used in flash player engines?
>
> > Kind Regards,
> > moonglum

> Wesley W. Garland
> Director, Product Development
> PageMail, Inc.
> +1 613 542 2787 x 102

Re: State of Tamarin

Graydon Hoare-3
moonglum wrote:
> Wes:
>
> Thanks for your response, heard something similiar in irc from another
> non-mozillian!
> The JUT Compiler seems to be named NanoJIT.

Yes. NanoJIT is the sole component shared between Tamarin (the Adobe
ActionScript interpreter/JIT) and Spidermonkey/Tracemonkey (the Mozilla
Javascript interpreter/JIT).

NanoJIT is not a complete JIT for either language. It's a backend
component that consumes a language-independent intermediate form called
LIR and generates machine code. We're in the process of promoting
NanoJIT to a independent project with its repository, to make sharing
code between the two projects easier.

-Graydon

Re: State of Tamarin

Lucas-52
On 14 Okt., 08:21, Graydon Hoare <[hidden email]> wrote:

> moonglum wrote:
> > Wes:
>
> > Thanks for your response, heard something similiar in irc from another
> > non-mozillian!
> > The JUT Compiler seems to be named NanoJIT.
>
> Yes. NanoJIT is the sole component shared between Tamarin (the Adobe
> ActionScript interpreter/JIT) and Spidermonkey/Tracemonkey (the Mozilla
> Javascript interpreter/JIT).
>
> NanoJIT is not a complete JIT for either language. It's a backend
> component that consumes a language-independent intermediate form called
> LIR and generates machine code. We're in the process of promoting
> NanoJIT to a independent project with its repository, to make sharing
> code between the two projects easier.
>
> -Graydon

Thanks Graydon!

So most of what is written here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarin_
%28JavaScript_engine%29) is bullocks, right?
And Tamarin ist not a JS Interpreter/JIT but only a ActionScript
Interpreter/JIT?

Ok, now i understood what NanoJIT is :)

- moonglum

Re: State of Tamarin

Nickolay Ponomarev
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:12 PM, moonglum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So most of what is written here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarin_
> %28JavaScript_engine%29<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarin_%0A%28JavaScript_engine%29>)
> is bullocks, right?

Seems accurate, but I edited it a bit to clarify.

> And Tamarin ist not a JS Interpreter/JIT but only a ActionScript
> Interpreter/JIT?

Yeah, but it was supposed to track ES4 development, which was supposed to be
mostly backwards-compatible with JavaScript 1.x. I don't know how compatible
it is with JS now, though.

Nickolay

Re: State of Tamarin

Graydon Hoare-3
Nickolay Ponomarev wrote:

> Yeah, but it was supposed to track ES4 development, which was supposed to be
> mostly backwards-compatible with JavaScript 1.x. I don't know how compatible
> it is with JS now, though.

Caveat: I'm not a Tamarin maintainer. Ask them if you want detailed answers.

Afaik ActionScript is a superset of JavaScript, modulo some
version-number skew and such. Probably a few corner cases differ, and of
course none of the browser API many JS authors expect will be present.
But the Tamarin testsuite contains, for example, sunspider, jsbench, v8,
and the mozilla ecma3 suite. So I think it's pretty broadly compatible
at a source level.

-Graydon