State of Sunbird?

Simon Paquet-2
Hi!

Looking at the Calendar website, Sunbird is still pretty prominently
named there, even though the last official release was roughly two
years ago and the last nightly is 18 months old.

Why?

Why isn't Sunbird removed from the website?
Why isn't Sunbird related code removed from the code repository?

Thanks & Cya
Simon

Re: State of Sunbird?

Philipp Kewisch-2
On 11/17/11 7:00 PM, Simon Paquet wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Looking at the Calendar website, Sunbird is still pretty prominently
> named there, even though the last official release was roughly two
> years ago and the last nightly is 18 months old.
>
> Why?
>
> Why isn't Sunbird removed from the website?
> Why isn't Sunbird related code removed from the code repository?
>
> Thanks & Cya
> Simon

Hey Simon,

it should definitely made far less prominent on the webpage, I guess
this was left there due to lack of maintenance. Personally I must admit
I haven't looked at our webpage in quite some time and only had my
developer hat on. At the mozcamp last weekend I took a look at our site
and wasn't too happy about Sunbird being so prominent there. Milos (who
is also on IRC) is now working on reorganizing and updating the content
on the website, so this should get better.

Regarding the code repository, we still have a few users building
Sunbird manually for their own leisure. Since the Sunbird content is not
in the way (except for localization, I guess) I don't think we should
actively remove it. The l10n.ini has code commented out that was
including toolkit, so at least this is no longer in the way for new locales.

Philipp

Re: State of Sunbird?

Simon Paquet-2
Philipp Kewisch wrote on 17. Nov 2011:

>> Looking at the Calendar website, Sunbird is still pretty prominently
>> named there, even though the last official release was roughly two
>> years ago and the last nightly is 18 months old.
>>
>> Why isn't Sunbird removed from the website?
>> Why isn't Sunbird related code removed from the code repository?
>
> it should definitely made far less prominent on the webpage, I
> guess this was left there due to lack of maintenance.

Ah, I understand.

What happened to the two people (Jan and Tobbi IIRC), that took
over from me when I left the project 15 months ago?

> Regarding the code repository, we still have a few users building
> Sunbird manually for their own leisure.

Does this still work? Amazing!

Cya
Simon

Re: State of Sunbird?

Philipp Kewisch-2
On 11/18/11 9:10 AM, Simon Paquet wrote:
>> it should definitely made far less prominent on the webpage, I guess
>> this was left there due to lack of maintenance.
>
> Ah, I understand.
>
> What happened to the two people (Jan and Tobbi IIRC), that took
> over from me when I left the project 15 months ago?
I haven't heard from Jan in a while, and Tobbi was busy with University
and an internship at Mozilla for SUMO.

>> Regarding the code repository, we still have a few users building
>> Sunbird manually for their own leisure.
>
> Does this still work? Amazing!
I hear reports it does, although I haven't tried so myself!

Re: State of Sunbird?

Simon Paquet-2
Philipp Kewisch wrote on 18. Nov 2011:

>>> it should definitely made far less prominent on the webpage, I guess
>>> this was left there due to lack of maintenance.
>>
>> Ah, I understand.
>>
>> What happened to the two people (Jan and Tobbi IIRC), that took
>> over from me when I left the project 15 months ago?
>
> I haven't heard from Jan in a while, and Tobbi was busy with University
> and an internship at Mozilla for SUMO.

That's not good.

Re: State of Sunbird?

Stefan Sitter-2
Philipp Kewisch wrote:
>>> Regarding the code repository, we still have a few users building
>>> Sunbird manually for their own leisure.
>> Does this still work? Amazing!
> I hear reports it does, although I haven't tried so myself!

Tried yesterday for comm-central on Windows 7 platform. Sunbird build is
successful and Sunbird can be started and is mostly operable.