Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Leonidas Jones-2
G. R. Woodring wrote:

> Date: 3/11/2009 11:01 PM, Author: Leonidas Jones  Wrote:
>> G. R. Woodring wrote:

>>> When I had both Norton and AVG 7.5 I only had Norton set to monitor
>>> continuously. I would run simultaneous manual scans with both. I don't
>>> use real-time monitoring with Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D. I still use the
>>> old Ad-Aware SE. The new version wants to start as a service even when I
>>> only want to run it manually. AVG 8.0 has become as much of a resource
>>> hog as Norton was. I dropped Norton when they wouldn't except my product
>>> key to renew the definition subscription. Why the hell would anyone try
>>> to buy a subscription if the didn't have the product? The current
>>> version of Spybot remains effective without bloat.
>>>

>> Anybody out there using ClamWin?
>>
>> Lee
>
> I mentioned in an earlier post that I ran ClamWin scans with Ad-Aware
> and Spybot. In the later post I should have pointed out that ClamWin has
> replaced Norton and AVG as my virus scanner. It is manual scan only but
> I like that as it doesn't strangle the OS with tendrils as the real-time
> scanners do.

Just to clarify, you mean you choose to run a manual scan.  Clamwin can
and does run automated scheduled scans.  If it didn't I wouldn't be able
to leave my mother in law's house, for fear she would never run it.

Wonderful women, but not great computer skills.

Lee

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

JM-43
G. R. Woodring wrote:

> Date: 3/12/2009 2:17 PM, Author: JM  Wrote:
>> G. R. Woodring wrote:

>>> When I had both Norton and AVG 7.5 I only had Norton set to monitor
>>> continuously.  I would run simultaneous manual scans with both.  I
>>> don't use real-time monitoring with Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D.  I still
>>> use the old Ad-Aware SE.  The new version wants to start as a service
>>> even when I only want to run it manually.  AVG 8.0 has become as much
>>> of a resource hog as Norton was.  I dropped Norton when they wouldn't
>>> except my product key to renew the definition subscription.  Why the
>>> hell would anyone try to buy a subscription if the didn't have the
>>> product?  The current version of Spybot remains effective without bloat.
>>>

>> How much memory does sypbot use up with the current version?
>
> 62MB in the Program Files directory.  Momentarily spikes at almost 200MB
> when starting, additional spikes during scan go to 214MB.  During scan
> the RAM used goes from about 50MB to 140MB.  All memory is release when
> the program is exited.  I only run as a manual scanner, I don't use Tea
> Timer or the IE helper.  I have 2GB of memory, the program might limit
> itself if less memory were available.

Ok, Thanks. I have 2 GB of RAM as well so I think I'll try it out. Is it
safe to try the IE helper with ie8 release candidate seeing as it is
still in beta?

I have also seen many things on the Internet about not using teatimer
with kaspersky as they would interfere with each other. Has anyone
actually had issues with them running together?

G. R. Woodring wrote:

> Date: 3/12/2009 8:12 PM, Author: JM  Wrote:
>> G. R. Woodring wrote:

>>> 62MB in the Program Files directory.  Momentarily spikes at almost
>>> 200MB when starting, additional spikes during scan go to 214MB.
>>> During scan the RAM used goes from about 50MB to 140MB.  All memory
>>> is release when the program is exited.  I only run as a manual
>>> scanner, I don't use Tea Timer or the IE helper.  I have 2GB of
>>> memory, the program might limit itself if less memory were available.
>>>

>> Ok, Thanks. I have 2 GB of RAM as well so I think I'll try it out. Is
>> it safe to try the IE helper with ie8 release candidate seeing as it
>> is still in beta?
>>
>> I have also seen many things on the Internet about not using teatimer
>> with kaspersky as they would interfere with each other. Has anyone
>> actually had issues with them running together?
>
> Installing beta software that is an integral part of the OS could render
> Windows unusable.  If you need to reinstall Windows all previous updates
> will be lost as well as any restore points.  Make an Image of the drive
> before installing IE8beta.
>
> Make sure IE8 is working satisfactory for a few days before adding any
> helper apps.

I installed beta 2 when I first got the computer. When the release
candidate came out, I installed that too. I've never had any issues with
IE8 Beta. I just wanted to know if the IE helper had any known issues
with ie8 beta. The browser itself works great.

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Ron Hunter
G. R. Woodring wrote:

> Date: 3/12/2009 8:12 PM, Author: JM  Wrote:
>> G. R. Woodring wrote:

>>> 62MB in the Program Files directory.  Momentarily spikes at almost
>>> 200MB when starting, additional spikes during scan go to 214MB.
>>> During scan the RAM used goes from about 50MB to 140MB.  All memory is
>>> release when the program is exited.  I only run as a manual scanner, I
>>> don't use Tea Timer or the IE helper.  I have 2GB of memory, the
>>> program might limit itself if less memory were available.
>>>

>> Ok, Thanks. I have 2 GB of RAM as well so I think I'll try it out. Is it
>> safe to try the IE helper with ie8 release candidate seeing as it is
>> still in beta?
>>
>> I have also seen many things on the Internet about not using teatimer
>> with kaspersky as they would interfere with each other. Has anyone
>> actually had issues with them running together?
>
> Installing beta software that is an integral part of the OS could render Windows
> unusable.  If you need to reinstall Windows all previous updates will be lost as
> well as any restore points.  Make an Image of the drive before installing IE8beta.
>
> Make sure IE8 is working satisfactory for a few days before adding any helper apps.

I have IE8b installed on my computers.  It is much better, in my
opinion, than IE6 or 7, although it still lacks any significant
customization features.  At least it copies Firefox's bookmarks toolbar.
  99.9% of my navigation to sites is done by that toolbar.  I often go
months without reference to the 'bookmarks' menu.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

squaredancer
On 13.03.2009 15:12, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  G. R. Woodring
to generate the following:? :

> Date: 3/13/2009 3:42 AM, Author: Ron Hunter  Wrote:
>
>> G. R. Woodring wrote:

>>> Installing beta software that is an integral part of the OS could
>>> render Windows unusable.  If you need to reinstall Windows all
>>> previous updates will be lost as well as any restore points.  Make an
>>> Image of the drive before installing IE8beta.
>>>
>>> Make sure IE8 is working satisfactory for a few days before adding any
>>> helper apps.
>>>

>> I have IE8b installed on my computers.  It is much better, in my
>> opinion, than IE6 or 7, although it still lacks any significant
>> customization features.  At least it copies Firefox's bookmarks toolbar.
>>  99.9% of my navigation to sites is done by that toolbar.  I often go
>> months without reference to the 'bookmarks' menu.
>>

> The bookmarks toolbar has been the main reason I have always preferred Netscape,
> Phoenix, Firebird and now Firefox.  But, I think they are too late in adding the
> feature, I have gotten used to the customization and the way Firefox works.

> IE  would have to do something groundbreaking and indispensable for me to change now.

you mean something like "making IE safe"  would be an incentive ??

reg

G. R. Woodring wrote:

> Date: 3/13/2009 3:42 AM, Author: Ron Hunter  Wrote:
>> G. R. Woodring wrote:

>>> Installing beta software that is an integral part of the OS could
>>> render Windows unusable.  If you need to reinstall Windows all
>>> previous updates will be lost as well as any restore points.  Make an
>>> Image of the drive before installing IE8beta.
>>>
>>> Make sure IE8 is working satisfactory for a few days before adding any
>>> helper apps.
>>>

>> I have IE8b installed on my computers.  It is much better, in my
>> opinion, than IE6 or 7, although it still lacks any significant
>> customization features.  At least it copies Firefox's bookmarks toolbar.
>>  99.9% of my navigation to sites is done by that toolbar.  I often go
>> months without reference to the 'bookmarks' menu.
>>

> The bookmarks toolbar has been the main reason I have always preferred Netscape,
> Phoenix, Firebird and now Firefox.  But, I think they are too late in adding the
> feature, I have gotten used to the customization and the way Firefox works.  IE
> would have to do something groundbreaking and indispensable for me to change now.

If it did, then Firefox would have it very soon, and do it better, and
safer.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

squaredancer
On 13.03.2009 16:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  G. R. Woodring
to generate the following:? :

> Date: 3/13/2009 11:17 AM, Author: squaredancer  Wrote:
>
>> On 13.03.2009 15:12, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  G. R. Woodring
>> to generate the following:? :

<<lots and lots snipped>>

>>> The bookmarks toolbar has been the main reason I have always preferred
>>> Netscape, Phoenix, Firebird and now Firefox.  But, I think they are
>>> too late in adding the feature, I have gotten used to the
>>> customization and the way Firefox works.
>>>
>>> IE  would have to do something groundbreaking and indispensable for me
>>> to change now.
>>>

>> you mean something like "making IE safe"  would be an incentive ??
>>
>> reg
>>

> No, that's not groundbreaking,

for M$ that would be - earthquake type of groundbreaking, in fact!

> Firefox and it's predecessors have been doing a
> good job for years.  It's also an oxymoron, making IE safe would be like making
> hunting safe.  BTW browsing will not be completely safe until the Lord comes to
> earth

> and no evil people remain :-)

just me, huh.... won't life be interesting!

reg

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

BJ-20
Regarding the thread titled: "Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4
problems?"

On 3/13/09 8:17 AM, squaredancer's said:

> On 13.03.2009 15:12, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  G. R. Woodring
> to generate the following:? :
>> Date: 3/13/2009 3:42 AM, Author: Ron Hunter  Wrote:

>>> I have IE8b installed on my computers.  It is much better, in my
>>> opinion, than IE6 or 7, although it still lacks any significant
>>> customization features.  At least it copies Firefox's bookmarks
>>> toolbar.  99.9% of my navigation to sites is done by that toolbar.  I
>>> often go months without reference to the 'bookmarks' menu.
>>>

>> The bookmarks toolbar has been the main reason I have always preferred
>> Netscape, Phoenix, Firebird and now Firefox.  But, I think they are
>> too late in adding the feature, I have gotten used to the
>> customization and the way Firefox works.
>
>> IE  would have to do something groundbreaking and indispensable for me
>> to change now.
>>

> you mean something like "making IE safe"  would be an incentive ??
>
> reg

Reg . . . somehow I KNEW you were going to make a remark on this.  I
would have been disappointed if you hadn't.

BJ

--
Bob Jamieson

Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

G. R. Woodring wrote:

> Date: 3/12/2009 10:46 PM, Author: JM  Wrote:
>> G. R. Woodring wrote:

>>> Installing beta software that is an integral part of the OS could
>>> render Windows unusable.  If you need to reinstall Windows all
>>> previous updates will be lost as well as any restore points.  Make an
>>> Image of the drive before installing IE8beta.
>>>
>>> Make sure IE8 is working satisfactory for a few days before adding
>>> any helper apps.
>>>

>> I installed beta 2 when I first got the computer. When the release
>> candidate came out, I installed that too. I've never had any issues
>> with IE8 Beta. I just wanted to know if the IE helper had any known
>> issues with ie8 beta. The browser itself works great.
>
> Glad to hear that IE8 seems to be stable.  The best source of
> information would be a Spybot newsgroup or forum.  Otherwise create
> restore point, backup critical data to flash drive or CD/DVD's, Image
> the drive to an external HD then install the IE helper app and see how
> well it works and that it doesn't cause crashes.

I finally installed spybot. It seems to be working fine so far. I'm not
using the teatimer or the IE helper though because I don't want it to
interfere with kaspersky's real time protection. It uses about 40MB of
RAM when I open it, which is much better than what it used on my win2000
machine. Haven't run any scans yet so don't know how much RAM that will
use. It shouldn't be an issue with 2GB of ram though.

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Rick-20
Ritter 197 wrote:
> I and a friend of mine use both Spybot S & D. Mine checks everything and
> finds all in order.
> His comes up with 4 problems found (14..10) and cannot fix them.
>
> He also ran Ad-aware and CCleaner and still Spybot comes up with the
> same problem. Shutdown and restart make no difference.
>
> Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like
> that in 10 years)
How about SUPERantispyware?

--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 19-03-2009 17:05 CET, Rick composed this enchanting statement:
> Ritter 197 wrote:
>> <x>
>> Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like
>> that in 10 years)
> How about SUPERantispyware?
How about superdooperantispybotsware?

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Naked Gonad
Melchert Fruitema wrote:
> On 19-03-2009 17:05 CET, Rick composed this enchanting statement:
>> Ritter 197 wrote:
>>> <x>
>>> Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like
>>> that in 10 years)
>> How about SUPERantispyware?
> How about superdooperantispybotsware?

I've used Superantispyware for at least a year now and can vouch
  for it.In my opinion,it is the best freeware A/Spy prog available.
Hope this helps.

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

squaredancer
On 19.03.2009 22:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
Fruitema to generate the following:? :

> On 19-03-2009 17:05 CET, Rick composed this enchanting statement:
>
>> Ritter 197 wrote:
>>
>>> <x>
>>> Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like
>>> that in 10 years)
>>>
>> How about SUPERantispyware?
>>
> How about superdooperantispybotsware?

hey, Melchert - you got a URL for that ??? ;-)

reg

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 20-03-2009 11:46 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting statement:

> On 19.03.2009 22:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
> Fruitema to generate the following:? :
>> On 19-03-2009 17:05 CET, Rick composed this enchanting statement:
>>> <x>
>>>
>> How about superdooperantispybotsware?
>>
> hey, Melchert - you got a URL for that ??? ;-)
>
> reg

ha, for one moment I thought you caught me :-! , but Google comes to rescue!

Google says: "We did not find results for: *superdooperantispybotsware*.
Try the suggestions below or type a new query above."

Suggestions:

    * Check your spelling.
    * Try more general words.
    * Try different words that mean the same thing.
    * Try asking a question on Yahoo! Answers
      <http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu8KOEMhJkcMALCRXNyoA/SIG=11dpgnokc/EXP=1237934606/**http%3a//answers.yahoo.com/>

Take your pick.

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 20-03-2009 09:47 CET, Naked Gonad composed this enchanting statement:

> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>>> How about SUPERantispyware?
>> How about superdooperantispybotsware?
>>
> I've used Superantispyware for at least a year now and can vouch
>  for it.In my opinion,it is the best freeware A/Spy prog available.
> Hope this helps.

/( SUPERAntiSpyware.exe (5.5MB), Version: 4.25.1014 )/

on a Mac?

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

squaredancer
On 23.03.2009 23:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
Fruitema to generate the following:? :

> On 20-03-2009 11:46 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting statement:
>
>> On 19.03.2009 22:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
>> Fruitema to generate the following:? :
>>
>>> On 19-03-2009 17:05 CET, Rick composed this enchanting statement:

>>> How about superdooperantispybotsware?
>>>

>> hey, Melchert - you got a URL for that ??? ;-)
>>
>> reg
>>

> ha, for one moment I thought you caught me :-! , but Google comes to rescue!
>
> Google says: "We did not find results for: *superdooperantispybotsware*.
> Try the suggestions below or type a new query above."
>
> Suggestions:
>
>     * Check your spelling.
>     * Try more general words.
>     * Try different words that mean the same thing.
>     * Try asking a question on Yahoo! Answers
>       <http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu8KOEMhJkcMALCRXNyoA/SIG=11dpgnokc/EXP=1237934606/**http%3a//answers.yahoo.com/>
>
> Take your pick.

*lol*  isn't the internet /amazing/  ??

reg