Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Ritter 197
I and a friend of mine use both Spybot S & D. Mine checks everything and
finds all in order.
His comes up with 4 problems found (14..10) and cannot fix them.

He also ran Ad-aware and CCleaner and still Spybot comes up with the same
problem. Shutdown and restart make no difference.

Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like that
in 10 years)

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Ritter 197 wrote:
> I and a friend of mine use both Spybot S & D. Mine checks everything and
> finds all in order.
> His comes up with 4 problems found (14..10) and cannot fix them.
>
> He also ran Ad-aware and CCleaner and still Spybot comes up with the
> same problem. Shutdown and restart make no difference.
>
> Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like
> that in 10 years)

go and ask them; http://forums.spybot.info/

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:19:25 PM, and on a whim,
Ritter 197 pounded out on the keyboard:

> I and a friend of mine use both Spybot S & D. Mine checks everything and
> finds all in order.
> His comes up with 4 problems found (14..10) and cannot fix them.
>
> He also ran Ad-aware and CCleaner and still Spybot comes up with the same
> problem. Shutdown and restart make no difference.
>
> Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like that
> in 10 years)

Can you tell us what it can't "fix" exactly?  Did they try running SB in
Windows Safe Mode?

The combo of Spybot & Malwarebytes is usually enough to clean out any
system if it's fixable at all.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Terry R.

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Ritter 197
No, it did not give any details as to what it could not remove.
He is very poor in computers and could not bring up Safe Mode. I will travel
to in PA. Sunday and do it and then post.
I have no idea what the ( 14..10) means either.

"Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> The date and time was Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:19:25 PM, and on a whim,
> Ritter 197 pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> I and a friend of mine use both Spybot S & D. Mine checks everything and
>> finds all in order.
>> His comes up with 4 problems found (14..10) and cannot fix them.
>>
>> He also ran Ad-aware and CCleaner and still Spybot comes up with the same
>> problem. Shutdown and restart make no difference.
>>
>> Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like
>> that in 10 years)
>
> Can you tell us what it can't "fix" exactly?  Did they try running SB in
> Windows Safe Mode?
>
> The combo of Spybot & Malwarebytes is usually enough to clean out any
> system if it's fixable at all.
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/
>

> Terry R.
> --
> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Leonidas Jones-2
Ritter 197 wrote:

> No, it did not give any details as to what it could not remove.
> He is very poor in computers and could not bring up Safe Mode. I will
> travel to in PA. Sunday and do it and then post.
> I have no idea what the ( 14..10) means either.
>
> "Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> The date and time was Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:19:25 PM, and on a
>> whim, Ritter 197 pounded out on the keyboard:
>>
>>> I and a friend of mine use both Spybot S & D. Mine checks everything
>>> and finds all in order.
>>> His comes up with 4 problems found (14..10) and cannot fix them.
>>>
>>> He also ran Ad-aware and CCleaner and still Spybot comes up with the
>>> same problem. Shutdown and restart make no difference.
>>>
>>> Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like
>>> that in 10 years)
>>
>> Can you tell us what it can't "fix" exactly? Did they try running SB
>> in Windows Safe Mode?
>>
>> The combo of Spybot & Malwarebytes is usually enough to clean out any
>> system if it's fixable at all.
>> http://www.malwarebytes.org/
>>

>> Terry R.
>> --
>> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
>> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

It does help if we all post in the same style.  Most people here bottom
post, so I recommend that.

While there are a lot of knowledgeable Windows users here who use
Spybot, you might get more help in the Spybot forums:

http://forums.spybot.info/

Lee

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

squaredancer
On 11.03.2009 01:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ritter 197 to
generate the following:? :

> I and a friend of mine use both Spybot S & D. Mine checks everything and
> finds all in order.
> His comes up with 4 problems found (14..10) and cannot fix them.
>
> He also ran Ad-aware and CCleaner and still Spybot comes up with the same
> problem. Shutdown and restart make no difference.
>
> Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like that
> in 10 years)

as you are going to visit on Sunday, you might like to note (and take
with you) that SpyBot will locate and WARN you about AdAware being
installed on the machine, at the same time.
You can select to ignore the warning (which is what I do) - but please
don't ask what that means, check-wise!

Let us know what you find - and what action you took.... as Lee says in
his post, very many users here have both SpyBot and AdAware installed,
so your report would be appreciated... (reply in this thread, so we find
it properly associated to the previous posts)

reg

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

JM-43
G. R. Woodring wrote:

> Date: 3/11/2009 9:59 AM, Author: squaredancer  Wrote:
>> On 11.03.2009 01:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ritter 197
>> to generate the following:? :
>>> I and a friend of mine use both Spybot S & D. Mine checks everything
>>> and finds all in order.
>>> His comes up with 4 problems found (14..10) and cannot fix them.
>>>
>>> He also ran Ad-aware and CCleaner and still Spybot comes up with the
>>> same problem. Shutdown and restart make no difference.
>>>
>>> Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like
>>> that in 10 years)
>>>
>> as you are going to visit on Sunday, you might like to note (and take
>> with you) that SpyBot will locate and WARN you about AdAware being
>> installed on the machine, at the same time.
>> You can select to ignore the warning (which is what I do) - but please
>> don't ask what that means, check-wise!
>>
>> Let us know what you find - and what action you took.... as Lee says
>> in his post, very many users here have both SpyBot and AdAware
>> installed, so your report would be appreciated... (reply in this
>> thread, so we find it properly associated to the previous posts)
>>
>> reg
>
> Not only do I have both installed but I runs scans with both
> simultaneously.  I have even run simultaneous scans with ClamWin,
> Ad-Aware, and Spybot.

What about with Kaspersky Internet Security?

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Tarkus-3
squaredancer wrote:

> On 11.03.2009 01:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ritter 197 to
> generate the following:? :
>> I and a friend of mine use both Spybot S & D. Mine checks everything
>> and finds all in order.
>> His comes up with 4 problems found (14..10) and cannot fix them.
>>
>> He also ran Ad-aware and CCleaner and still Spybot comes up with the
>> same problem. Shutdown and restart make no difference.
>>
>> Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like
>> that in 10 years)
>>
> as you are going to visit on Sunday, you might like to note (and take
> with you) that SpyBot will locate and WARN you about AdAware being
> installed on the machine, at the same time.

I can't be sure, but I believe they're more concerned with having
Ad-Aware's real-time protection enabled, which is not available in the
free version.  I can't imagine why they'd be concerned with the free
version.

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Ritter 197
He does not have Kasperski yet.

news:[hidden email]...

G. R. Woodring wrote:

> Date: 3/11/2009 12:03 PM, Author: JM  Wrote:
>> G. R. Woodring wrote:

>>> Not only do I have both installed but I runs scans with both
>>> simultaneously.  I have even run simultaneous scans with ClamWin,
>>> Ad-Aware, and Spybot.
>>>

>> What about with Kaspersky Internet Security?
>
> I haven't tried that.  I used to have Norton Anti-virus and AVG 7.5
> which would scan at the same time.  The moderators at the forum for AVG
> 8.x arrogantly blow off support for anyone who admits to having _any_
> other mal-ware program even installed on their system.

Yeah, I got rid of AVG a while ago. It slowed the system down too much
and I was having issues with other programs. That was with 7.5. I
haven't tried 8.

How slow was your computer with AVG, Norton, and Spybot all at once?
Just one at a time would slow my computer down but all three...? The
main reason I haven't installed Spybot on my new XP computer is because
of the memory it used up on windows 2000. How much does it use on your
computer?

G. R. Woodring wrote:

> Date: 3/11/2009 9:45 PM, Author: JM  Wrote:
>> G. R. Woodring wrote:

>>> I haven't tried that. I used to have Norton Anti-virus and AVG 7.5
>>> which would scan at the same time. The moderators at the forum for
>>> AVG 8.x arrogantly blow off support for anyone who admits to having
>>> _any_ other mal-ware program even installed on their system.
>>>

>> Yeah, I got rid of AVG a while ago. It slowed the system down too much
>> and I was having issues with other programs. That was with 7.5. I
>> haven't tried 8.
>>
>> How slow was your computer with AVG, Norton, and Spybot all at once?
>> Just one at a time would slow my computer down but all three...? The
>> main reason I haven't installed Spybot on my new XP computer is
>> because of the memory it used up on windows 2000. How much does it use
>> on your computer?
>
> When I had both Norton and AVG 7.5 I only had Norton set to monitor
> continuously. I would run simultaneous manual scans with both. I don't
> use real-time monitoring with Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D. I still use the
> old Ad-Aware SE. The new version wants to start as a service even when I
> only want to run it manually. AVG 8.0 has become as much of a resource
> hog as Norton was. I dropped Norton when they wouldn't except my product
> key to renew the definition subscription. Why the hell would anyone try
> to buy a subscription if the didn't have the product? The current
> version of Spybot remains effective without bloat.

Anybody out there using ClamWin?

Lee

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 3/11/2009 9:32 AM, Tarkus wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:
>> On 11.03.2009 01:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ritter 197 to
>> generate the following:? :
>>> I and a friend of mine use both Spybot S & D. Mine checks everything
>>> and finds all in order.
>>> His comes up with 4 problems found (14..10) and cannot fix them.
>>>
>>> He also ran Ad-aware and CCleaner and still Spybot comes up with the
>>> same problem. Shutdown and restart make no difference.
>>>
>>> Any ideas I can pass on to him? (I have never run into something like
>>> that in 10 years)
>>>
>> as you are going to visit on Sunday, you might like to note (and take
>> with you) that SpyBot will locate and WARN you about AdAware being
>> installed on the machine, at the same time.
>
> I can't be sure, but I believe they're more concerned with having
> Ad-Aware's real-time protection enabled, which is not available in the
> free version.  I can't imagine why they'd be concerned with the free
> version.

I have the free versions of both and have never seen that warning.  I
also have Spyware Doctor running and have yet to find any malware that
it could not remove.

Irwin

Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> On 3/11/2009 9:32 AM, Tarkus wrote:
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 11.03.2009 01:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ritter 197
>>> to generate the following:? :

>>> as you are going to visit on Sunday, you might like to note (and take
>>> with you) that SpyBot will locate and WARN you about AdAware being
>>> installed on the machine, at the same time.
>>
>> I can't be sure, but I believe they're more concerned with having
>> Ad-Aware's real-time protection enabled, which is not available in the
>> free version.  I can't imagine why they'd be concerned with the free
>> version.
>
> I have the free versions of both and have never seen that warning.

As I recall, I get the warning every time I update Spybot, and it has an
option to disable future warnings (at least until the next update).
Ad-Aware, being the free version, is not running at the time, so I'm not
sure why the warning, unless they just don't want you to use the
competition.

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:01:00 PM, and on a
whim, Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

> G. R. Woodring wrote:
>> Date: 3/11/2009 9:45 PM, Author: JM  Wrote:

>>> Yeah, I got rid of AVG a while ago. It slowed the system down too much
>>> and I was having issues with other programs. That was with 7.5. I
>>> haven't tried 8.
>>>
>>> How slow was your computer with AVG, Norton, and Spybot all at once?
>>> Just one at a time would slow my computer down but all three...? The
>>> main reason I haven't installed Spybot on my new XP computer is
>>> because of the memory it used up on windows 2000. How much does it use
>>> on your computer?
>> When I had both Norton and AVG 7.5 I only had Norton set to monitor
>> continuously. I would run simultaneous manual scans with both. I don't
>> use real-time monitoring with Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D. I still use the
>> old Ad-Aware SE. The new version wants to start as a service even when I
>> only want to run it manually. AVG 8.0 has become as much of a resource
>> hog as Norton was. I dropped Norton when they wouldn't except my product
>> key to renew the definition subscription. Why the hell would anyone try
>> to buy a subscription if the didn't have the product? The current
>> version of Spybot remains effective without bloat.
>>

> Anybody out there using ClamWin?
>
> Lee

Looks like you're the only one... ;-)

Terry R.

Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:01:00 PM, and on a
> whim, Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> G. R. Woodring wrote:

>>> When I had both Norton and AVG 7.5 I only had Norton set to monitor
>>> continuously. I would run simultaneous manual scans with both. I don't
>>> use real-time monitoring with Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D. I still use the
>>> old Ad-Aware SE. The new version wants to start as a service even when I
>>> only want to run it manually. AVG 8.0 has become as much of a resource
>>> hog as Norton was. I dropped Norton when they wouldn't except my product
>>> key to renew the definition subscription. Why the hell would anyone try
>>> to buy a subscription if the didn't have the product? The current
>>> version of Spybot remains effective without bloat.
>>>

>> Anybody out there using ClamWin?
>>
>> Lee
>
> Looks like you're the only one... ;-)
>

> Terry R.

I have ClamX running on all my Macs, and Clam is runnuing on the linux
boxes.  My mother in law is wtill running Win 98, so I put it on her
machine when AVG stopped 98 support.  It works very well.

Lee

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:34:50 AM, and on a
whim, G. R. Woodring pounded out on the keyboard:

> Date: 3/11/2009 11:01 PM, Author: Leonidas Jones  Wrote:
>> G. R. Woodring wrote:

>>> When I had both Norton and AVG 7.5 I only had Norton set to monitor
>>> continuously. I would run simultaneous manual scans with both. I don't
>>> use real-time monitoring with Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D. I still use the
>>> old Ad-Aware SE. The new version wants to start as a service even when I
>>> only want to run it manually. AVG 8.0 has become as much of a resource
>>> hog as Norton was. I dropped Norton when they wouldn't except my product
>>> key to renew the definition subscription. Why the hell would anyone try
>>> to buy a subscription if the didn't have the product? The current
>>> version of Spybot remains effective without bloat.
>>>

>> Anybody out there using ClamWin?
>>
>> Lee
>
> I mentioned in an earlier post that I ran ClamWin scans with Ad-Aware and
> Spybot.  In the later post I should have pointed out that ClamWin has replaced
> Norton and AVG as my virus scanner.  It is manual scan only but I like that as
> it doesn't strangle the OS with tendrils as the real-time scanners do.

I recommend and install AntiVir quite often.
http://www.free-av.com/

It appears the new NAV has finally gone back to a lean machine, albeit
too little too late.

Terry R.

G. R. Woodring wrote:

> Date: 3/11/2009 9:45 PM, Author: JM  Wrote:
>> G. R. Woodring wrote:

>>> I haven't tried that.  I used to have Norton Anti-virus and AVG 7.5
>>> which would scan at the same time.  The moderators at the forum for
>>> AVG 8.x arrogantly blow off support for anyone who admits to having
>>> _any_ other mal-ware program even installed on their system.
>>>

>> Yeah, I got rid of AVG a while ago. It slowed the system down too much
>> and I was having issues with other programs. That was with 7.5. I
>> haven't tried 8.
>>
>> How slow was your computer with AVG, Norton, and Spybot all at once?
>> Just one at a time would slow my computer down but all three...? The
>> main reason I haven't installed Spybot on my new XP computer is
>> because of the memory it used up on windows 2000. How much does it use
>> on your computer?
>
> When I had both Norton and AVG 7.5 I only had Norton set to monitor
> continuously.  I would run simultaneous manual scans with both.  I don't
> use real-time monitoring with Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D.  I still use the
> old Ad-Aware SE.  The new version wants to start as a service even when
> I only want to run it manually.  AVG 8.0 has become as much of a
> resource hog as Norton was.  I dropped Norton when they wouldn't except
> my product key to renew the definition subscription.  Why the hell would
> anyone try to buy a subscription if the didn't have the product?  The
> current version of Spybot remains effective without bloat.

How much memory does sypbot use up with the current version?

Re: Spybot Search and Destroy cannot fix 4 problems?

The Real Bev
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:01:00 PM, and on a
>> whim, Leonidas Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Anybody out there using ClamWin?
>>>
>>> Lee
>>
>> Looks like you're the only one... ;-)
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> I have ClamX running on all my Macs, and Clam is runnuing on the linux
> boxes.  My mother in law is wtill running Win 98, so I put it on her
> machine when AVG stopped 98 support.  It works very well.

The note at the website says the windows version is no longer supported.  Does
this mean you can no longer download new virus signatures for it?

I used to use f-prot to run an occasional scan on my windows machines  (never
found anything except that cute little sheep screensaver)(well, somebody did
infect a lot of us with an MBR virus which did nothing except reproduce itself
and stop further virus scanning, but that was back in the days of floppies),
but they've stopped supporting the free version too.

--
Cheers, Bev

The Real Bev wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
  >> I have ClamX running on all my Macs, and Clam is runnuing on the linux
>> boxes.  My mother in law is wtill running Win 98, so I put it on her
>> machine when AVG stopped 98 support.  It works very well.
>
> The note at the website says the windows version is no longer supported.  Does
> this mean you can no longer download new virus signatures for it?

Oops.  That was apparently the old website. This one is current:
http://www.clamwin.com/

The Real Bev wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>>
>  >> I have ClamX running on all my Macs, and Clam is runnuing on the linux
>>> boxes. My mother in law is wtill running Win 98, so I put it on her
>>> machine when AVG stopped 98 support. It works very well.
>>
>> The note at the website says the windows version is no longer
>> supported. Does this mean you can no longer download new virus
>> signatures for it?
>
> Oops. That was apparently the old website. This one is current:
> http://www.clamwin.com/
>
>> I used to use f-prot to run an occasional scan on my windows machines
>> (never found anything except that cute little sheep screensaver)(well,
>> somebody did infect a lot of us with an MBR virus which did nothing
>> except reproduce itself and stop further virus scanning, but that was
>> back in the days of floppies), but they've stopped supporting the free
>> version too.

I was just about to post how that was odd, since it just upgraded itself
to a new version recently.

I like it, its simple, and effective.

Lee