Spidermonkey 31 huge static lib and .so size

Spidermonkey 31 huge static lib and .so size

0001gc
After downloading the source and compiling (which worked correctly) I got a 199MB so and a 699MB static lib. Tried some disabling icu and some other configure options but no cookie. Any idea ?

Re: Spidermonkey 31 huge static lib and .so size

Sean Stangl
Try running "strip".

-Sean

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 12:32 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After downloading the source and compiling (which worked correctly) I got
> a 199MB so and a 699MB static lib. Tried some disabling icu and some other
> configure options but no cookie. Any idea ?

Re: Spidermonkey 31 huge static lib and .so size

Wes Garland
Did you build a debug build or a release build?  What platform?

On 29 January 2015 at 15:32, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After downloading the source and compiling (which worked correctly) I got
> a 199MB so and a 699MB static lib. Tried some disabling icu and some other
> configure options but no cookie. Any idea ?

Wesley W. Garland
Director, Product Development
PageMail, Inc.
+1 613 542 2787 x 102

Re: Spidermonkey 31 huge static lib and .so size

0001gc
I am on ubuntu trusty 64 bits. I was indeed passing release to confirue and that did nothing much on then size. As for strip the static lib went down to 20 MB from 699. Does that look right ? Ubuntu package is still smaller however there could be a lot of feature disabled. I also disable icu to no avail

Thanks for any suggestions

Re: Spidermonkey 31 huge static lib and .so size

Terrence Cole-3
On Fedora 20, gcc is 14MiB, clang is 19MiB, and gold is 3MiB, so 20MB seems
to be in the right ballpark for a compiler + runtime. I guess double check
that your source and compiler versions match what ubuntu built with, if
they added any extra patches, and what flags and environment they passed to
configure when building.