SpiderMonkey porting into two firefox versions

SpiderMonkey porting into two firefox versions

dima00782
Hello!

I'm porting spiderMonkey (baseline + ion) on my new architecture.
But my clients want to use firefox 45 (ESR build) and 52.2.1 (also ESR build).

I have some working 51.1 version spiderMonkey engine with my backend.

So, is it painless to update my spiderMonkey 51.1 to 52.2.1 and integrate it into firefox 45 and firefox 52

OR

I have to work on two version of spiderMonkey 45 and 52?

Re: SpiderMonkey porting into two firefox versions

Kent Williams
I'm confused by what you're asking -- are you building a custom Firefox
browser as part of your product, or simply embedded SpiderMonkey in your
own application?  What's embedded in your back and and what browser your
clients use are orthogonal considerations -- they don't interact in any
way I'm aware of.

If you have a version of your software working with a particular
revision of the Spidermonkey code -- i.e. it passes all your testing --
I don't know what advantage there is to upgrading.

With most packages on Linux you always want the latest and greatest
because there's a continuous stream of security patches being
implemented, bug fixes and occasionally new functionality.

With SpiderMonkey, the situation is different: They continuously break
the API, and while there may be incremental performance improvement
between versions, but in the end it's still a Javascript Interpreter.

In other words, going between SpiderMonkey versions involves a lot of
work adapting your application to API changes, with close to zero
visible benefit for your clients.