Speed test

Ray Davison
Is there a meaningful download speed test that will work with OS/2
without Flash?

Ray

Re: Speed test

Robert Blair-2

http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/

--
Robert Blair

Re: Speed test

Ray Davison
Robert Blair wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:39:33 UTC, Ray Davison <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is there a meaningful download speed test that will work with OS/2
>> without Flash?
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/

This machine:
AMD 2200
eCS 2.0RC7
SM 1118
CNET=1.2-1.5M

Primary machine:
Pentium D
WXP
SM 20b1-2
CNET=0.8-0.9M
Speedtest.Charter.com=5.1M  Exactly 5.1, every time except for a single 5.2.

This is "meaningful"?

Ray

Re: Speed test

Dave Yeo-3
On 09/25/09 10:53 am, Ray Davison wrote:

> This machine:
> AMD 2200
> eCS 2.0RC7
> SM 1118
> CNET=1.2-1.5M
>
> Primary machine:
> Pentium D
> WXP
> SM 20b1-2
> CNET=0.8-0.9M
> Speedtest.Charter.com=5.1M  Exactly 5.1, every time except for a single
> 5.2.
>
> This is "meaningful"?

Could be worse, it clocks me at 23.8 Kbps :(
Dave

Re: Speed test

Peter Brown-2
Hi Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> On 09/25/09 10:53 am, Ray Davison wrote:
>> This machine:
>> AMD 2200
>> eCS 2.0RC7
>> SM 1118
>> CNET=1.2-1.5M
>>
>> Primary machine:
>> Pentium D
>> WXP
>> SM 20b1-2
>> CNET=0.8-0.9M
>> Speedtest.Charter.com=5.1M Exactly 5.1, every time except for a single
>> 5.2.
>>
>> This is "meaningful"?
>
> Could be worse, it clocks me at 23.8 Kbps :(
> Dave

Hah!

So you have a VirginMedia 10Mb connection as well then  ;-)

Regards

Pete

Re: Speed test

Carl Gehr-6
On 09/25/09 01:53 pm, Ray Davison wrote:

> Robert Blair wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:39:33 UTC, Ray Davison <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a meaningful download speed test that will work with OS/2
>>> without Flash?
>>
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/
>>

> This machine:
> AMD 2200
> eCS 2.0RC7
> SM 1118
> CNET=1.2-1.5M
>
> Primary machine:
> Pentium D
> WXP
> SM 20b1-2
> CNET=0.8-0.9M
> Speedtest.Charter.com=5.1M  Exactly 5.1, every time except for a single
> 5.2.
>
> This is "meaningful"?

Don't forget to consider that there can be major differences in the
results of such tests.

If you want to test your actual connection to your ISP, then you should
use the ISP's test vehicle.  In my case, the local phone company - DSL -
reports:
     4297 kbps (537.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

But, then I use the test above, that is biased by all the links between
you, your ISP and the test site.  The test site, of course, can be
almost anywhere.  The test from cnet.com only reports:
     2210.2 Kbps

These tests were within about a minute of each other.

Usual caveat:  Your mileage may vary!  ;-)

--
Carl

Re: Speed test

Mat Nieuwenhoven
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:22:46 -0500, Robert Blair wrote:

:>On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:39:33 UTC, Ray Davison <[hidden email]> wrote:
:>
:>> Is there a meaningful download speed test that will work with OS/2
:>> without Flash?
:>
:>http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/

Doesn't seem reliable. I'm in Europe, and it gives me varying results between
2.9 en 33.7 Mbps . Considering I only have a 25 Mbps connection and never
measured more than about 15 (with Linux), I'd say the cnet test is not good.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Re: Speed test

Bill Braun-2
wrote:

> Is there a meaningful download speed test that will work with OS/2
> without Flash?

Try: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?java=1

-- Dave

Re: Speed test

Ray Davison
David H. Durgee wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:39:33 UTC, Ray Davison <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Is there a meaningful download speed test that will work with OS/2
>> without Flash?
>
> Try: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?java=1
>
> -- Dave

And without JAVA.

Ray

Re: Speed test

Robert Blair-2
On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:12:43 UTC, Ray Davison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Is there a meaningful download speed test that will work with OS/2
> >> without Flash?
> >
> > Try: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?java=1
> >
> > -- Dave
> >
> And without JAVA.

You either use a Flash 8 or JAVA program.  The JAVA program will not download
on my system because "no suitable plugins were found".

--
Robert Blair

Re: Speed test

Robert Blair-2
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:23:13 UTC, "Mat Nieuwenhoven"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> :>> Is there a meaningful download speed test that will work with OS/2
> :>> without Flash?
> :>
> :>http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/
>
> Doesn't seem reliable. I'm in Europe, and it gives me varying results between
> 2.9 en 33.7 Mbps . Considering I only have a 25 Mbps connection and never
> measured more than about 15 (with Linux), I'd say the cnet test is not good.

I had a few speed test sites bookmarked but most were no longer valid.  Of the
two bookmarked sites that were still active the above site was the only one
that I could make work with my OS/2 system.

Speed tests will vary considerably depending on network load between you and
the speed test web site.  I run a test several times to see the results.  Some
ISPs have their own speed test programs but they only test the link between
you and your ISP which my be what you want but it is not always a good
indication of your actual web speed.

--
Robert Blair

Re: Speed test

Robert Blair-2
On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 07:02:15 UTC, "Robert Blair" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I run a test several times to see the results.

I tried this again.  If I start using the bookmarked URL the results vary but
not by very much.  If I use the back button the results go up by large
increments, I suspect a problem with the data that has not been cleared before
restarting the test.

--
Robert Blair

Re: Speed test

Ray Davison
Robert Blair wrote:

>> And without JAVA.
>
> You either use a Flash 8 or JAVA program.

Here that means boot Win.  I was trying to avoid that.

Ray