Special TeX/LaTeX fonts in MathML (calligraphy vs. script)

Special TeX/LaTeX fonts in MathML (calligraphy vs. script)

David Starbuck
Hi,
We have quite a few authors who compose their papers in LaTeX with the AMS
font packages. They are also very fussy about how their math is displayed.
We've had issue with trying to convert their LaTeX to XML with MathML and
have been unable to address the issue of calligraphy vs script. The
software our vendor uses to convert the LaTeX takes the \cal or \mathcal
and converts it to a script character entity (for example 𝒜). This
doesn't sit well with the authors as there have been a number of instances
where they use both \cal and \scr within the same paper.

Is there a solution for this. We know that MathJax can handle it in their
LaTeX to their own internal ML, but we're hoping that a solution exists to
render natively in the  browser.

-David

Re: Special TeX/LaTeX fonts in MathML (calligraphy vs. script)

Frédéric WANG
Hi David,

Thanks for raising the issue here. I don't have much time to reply in
details, but it's one of the known issues with non-standard MathML in
MathJax ; and of course we don't want to have such things in Gecko. See

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-math/2013Sep/0000.html

and the replies of the Math WG about whether we could standardize this.
Essentially, "mathvariant" is supposed to convey semantics while the
Math WG consider things like "calligraphic" or "old style figures" to be
more styling (which I think makes sense). So if you want to do that the
standard way with CSS that would be something like

.onum {
   font-family: "Asana Math";
   -moz-font-feature-settings: "onum";
}

(or your favorite CSS selectors) applied to e.g.

Note that there are two issues to consider:

- You need a font-family that supports the glyph substitution (here
"Asana Math").

- You need a font-feature-settings for the glyph substitution (here
"onum"). I'm not sure there is something equivalent for "calligraphic".

As you can see, Gecko already has the CSS support for that (except that
it still needs the -moz prefix) and it's really up to the OpenType
authors & font designers to provide these features. So I believe you
should try to open a discussion with them. Currently, the MPEG group is
working on a new version of the OFF and if "calligraphic" is missing,
that should probably be proposed:

http://mpeg.chiariglione.org/standards/mpeg-4/open-font-format/text-isoiec-cd-14496-22-3rd-edition

--
Frédéric Wang
maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic

Le 15/07/2014 21:49, Frédéric Wang a écrit :
> - You need a font-feature-settings for the glyph substitution (here
> "onum"). I'm not sure there is something equivalent for "calligraphic".

Just to follow-up, I think it might be possible to access some
calligraphic glyphs using the "ssty" feature, but as I remember the math
fonts handle that in a very inconsistent way and actually "calligraphic"
glyphs that depart clearly from the "script" glyphs
are not always provided...

Also, check

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/MathML_Project/Fonts#Fonts_with_a_MATH_table

for a list of Open Type MATH fonts.