Spanish chars in Firefox

Juan Carlos Valverde
Hello,

  can anyone tell me why is it that whenever I try to read a page with
spanish characters like "áéíóúñ" using firefox 1.0.6, 1.0.7 or 1.5 (the
only ones I've used) I get '?' chars instead of the original characters?

  Is this a bug or do I need to tweek my firefox in someway to make it work?

Thanks,
Juan Carlos Valverde

Re: Spanish chars in Firefox

gwtc
Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   can anyone tell me why is it that whenever I try to read a page with
> spanish characters like "áéíóúñ" using firefox 1.0.6, 1.0.7 or 1.5 (the
> only ones I've used) I get '?' chars instead of the original characters?
>
>   Is this a bug or do I need to tweek my firefox in someway to make it work?
>
> Thanks,
> Juan Carlos Valverde
try fiddling around with the Character Encoding under View

Re: Spanish chars in Firefox

Juan Carlos Valverde
gwtc wrote:

> Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>   can anyone tell me why is it that whenever I try to read a page with
>> spanish characters like "áéíóúñ" using firefox 1.0.6, 1.0.7 or 1.5
>> (the only ones I've used) I get '?' chars instead of the original
>> characters?
>>
>>   Is this a bug or do I need to tweek my firefox in someway to make it
>> work?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Juan Carlos Valverde
>
> try fiddling around with the Character Encoding under View

Great, thanks, I set firefox to auto-detect->universal and it seams like
it works alright now.

Re: Spanish chars in Firefox

Leonidas Jones
Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>> Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>>   can anyone tell me why is it that whenever I try to read a page
>>> with spanish characters like "áéíóúñ" using firefox 1.0.6, 1.0.7 or
>>> 1.5 (the only ones I've used) I get '?' chars instead of the original
>>> characters?
>>>
>>>   Is this a bug or do I need to tweek my firefox in someway to make
>>> it work?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Juan Carlos Valverde
>>
>> try fiddling around with the Character Encoding under View
>
> Great, thanks, I set firefox to auto-detect->universal and it seams like
> it works alright now.

Great!  You can download a Spanish Language localized version if you prefer:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/win32/

Lee

Re: Spanish chars in Firefox

Juan Carlos Valverde
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:
>
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> try fiddling around with the Character Encoding under View
>>

>> Great, thanks, I set firefox to auto-detect->universal and it seams
>> like it works alright now.
>

> Great!  You can download a Spanish Language localized version if you
> prefer:
>
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/win32/
>
> Lee

Thanks for your help and recomendations, but I found the problem again,
I'm developing a site (yes, in spanish) and when I started about a year
ago I was using Firefox 1.0, the site is built on PHP and I had so much
trouble trying to make it work for both IE and Firefox that I decided to
enconde it using UTF-8 which seamed to work alright, about a week ago I
donwloaded Firefox 1.5 and when I try to open a page with a parameter
that contains spanish characters (áéíóú) the character is transformed
into a '?', the problem with the '?' was solved inside the pages, but
not when I send the character as a parameter on the address line. If you
want to see for you selves the page is:

http://www.bioquimica.cl

just click on the menu on the left where is says 'Trabajos y Pasantías',
you can use IE to do the same and see the difference.

NOTE: the problem persists even if I use the spanish language localized
version: es-ES.

Thanks again.

Re: Spanish chars in Firefox

Cal Tinson
Once upon a time *Juan Carlos Valverde* wrote:

> Thanks for your help and recomendations, but I found the problem again,
> I'm developing a site (yes, in spanish) and when I started about a year
> ago I was using Firefox 1.0, the site is built on PHP and I had so much
> trouble trying to make it work for both IE and Firefox that I decided to
> enconde it using UTF-8 which seamed to work alright, about a week ago I
> donwloaded Firefox 1.5 and when I try to open a page with a parameter
> that contains spanish characters (áéíóú) the character is transformed
> into a '?', the problem with the '?' was solved inside the pages, but
> not when I send the character as a parameter on the address line. If you
> want to see for you selves the page is:
>
> http://www.bioquimica.cl
>
> just click on the menu on the left where is says 'Trabajos y Pasantías',
> you can use IE to do the same and see the difference.
>
> NOTE: the problem persists even if I use the spanish language localized
> version: es-ES.

In URL's you are not supposed to use any special characters, and your
parameter is a URL when it goes to the address bar. They are not a part
of the standard for this.

When I use my own language I have the letters å, ä and ö as the last
letters in the alphabet, but I can't use those letters can't be used in
URL's. As an example, if I have an URL (or parameter) that includes the
word "räksmörgås", I have to write it as "raksmorgas" or something similar.

Also, spaces in URL's (file and directory namnes) are not standard and
should not be used. I can see the parameter I belive you are refering
to, as this, on IE:
accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos%20y%20Pasantías

In Mozilla 1.7.11 I see at this:
accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos%20y%20Pasant%C3%ADas

Yes, IE show the special character "í" but Mozilla interpret it to
"%C3%AD". But both browsers interpret your spaces in "Trabajos y
Pasantías" to "%20" and that is more of thanks to the server than the
browsers. In other servers, the URL should break with the first space.

--
/Arne

Mrs: You spend to much time with the computer, get a life!
Me: A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Re: Spanish chars in Firefox

Juan Carlos Valverde
Arne wrote:

> Once upon a time *Juan Carlos Valverde* wrote:
>
>>Thanks for your help and recomendations, but I found the problem again,
>>I'm developing a site (yes, in spanish) and when I started about a year
>>ago I was using Firefox 1.0, the site is built on PHP and I had so much
>>trouble trying to make it work for both IE and Firefox that I decided to
>>enconde it using UTF-8 which seamed to work alright, about a week ago I
>>donwloaded Firefox 1.5 and when I try to open a page with a parameter
>>that contains spanish characters (áéíóú) the character is transformed
>>into a '?', the problem with the '?' was solved inside the pages, but
>>not when I send the character as a parameter on the address line. If you
>>want to see for you selves the page is:
>>
>>http://www.bioquimica.cl
>>
>>just click on the menu on the left where is says 'Trabajos y Pasantías',
>>you can use IE to do the same and see the difference.
>>
>>NOTE: the problem persists even if I use the spanish language localized
>>version: es-ES.
>

> In URL's you are not supposed to use any special characters, and your
> parameter is a URL when it goes to the address bar. They are not a part
> of the standard for this.
>
> When I use my own language I have the letters å, ä and ö as the last
> letters in the alphabet, but I can't use those letters can't be used in
> URL's. As an example, if I have an URL (or parameter) that includes the
> word "räksmörgås", I have to write it as "raksmorgas" or something similar.
>
> Also, spaces in URL's (file and directory namnes) are not standard and
> should not be used. I can see the parameter I belive you are refering
> to, as this, on IE:
> accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos%20y%20Pasantías
>
> In Mozilla 1.7.11 I see at this:
> accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos%20y%20Pasant%C3%ADas
>
> Yes, IE show the special character "í" but Mozilla interpret it to
> "%C3%AD". But both browsers interpret your spaces in "Trabajos y
> Pasantías" to "%20" and that is more of thanks to the server than the
> browsers. In other servers, the URL should break with the first space.

Yeah, I supposed I was going to get this answer, but that wil mean
changing the database which I can't do right now, because most of the
content is dynamic (ie. specified by users), I think I'll have to excuse
myself for bad programming practices and find some time to change the
way this is working.

Thanks,
Juan Carlos Valverde

Re: Spanish chars in Firefox

Andy Luddy
Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:

> Arne wrote:
>
>> Once upon a time *Juan Carlos Valverde* wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for your help and recomendations, but I found the problem
>>> again, I'm developing a site (yes, in spanish) and when I started
>>> about a year ago I was using Firefox 1.0, the site is built on PHP
>>> and I had so much trouble trying to make it work for both IE and
>>> Firefox that I decided to enconde it using UTF-8 which seamed to work
>>> alright, about a week ago I donwloaded Firefox 1.5 and when I try to
>>> open a page with a parameter that contains spanish characters (áéíóú)
>>> the character is transformed into a '?', the problem with the '?' was
>>> solved inside the pages, but not when I send the character as a
>>> parameter on the address line. If you want to see for you selves the
>>> page is:
>>>
>>> http://www.bioquimica.cl
>>>
>>> just click on the menu on the left where is says 'Trabajos y
>>> Pasantías', you can use IE to do the same and see the difference.
>>>
>>> NOTE: the problem persists even if I use the spanish language
>>> localized version: es-ES.
>>

>> In URL's you are not supposed to use any special characters, and your
>> parameter is a URL when it goes to the address bar. They are not a part
>> of the standard for this.
>>
>> When I use my own language I have the letters å, ä and ö as the last
>> letters in the alphabet, but I can't use those letters can't be used in
>> URL's. As an example, if I have an URL (or parameter) that includes the
>> word "räksmörgås", I have to write it as "raksmorgas" or something
>> similar.
>>
>> Also, spaces in URL's (file and directory namnes) are not standard and
>> should not be used. I can see the parameter I belive you are refering
>> to, as this, on IE:
>> accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos%20y%20Pasantías
>>
>> In Mozilla 1.7.11 I see at this:
>> accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos%20y%20Pasant%C3%ADas
>>
>> Yes, IE show the special character "í" but Mozilla interpret it to
>> "%C3%AD". But both browsers interpret your spaces in "Trabajos y
>> Pasantías" to "%20" and that is more of thanks to the server than the
>> browsers. In other servers, the URL should break with the first space.
>>
> Yeah, I supposed I was going to get this answer, but that wil mean
> changing the database which I can't do right now, because most of the
> content is dynamic (ie. specified by users), I think I'll have to excuse
> myself for bad programming practices and find some time to change the
> way this is working.
>
> Thanks,
> Juan Carlos Valverde

Try using the htmlentities and htmlspecialchars functions in PHP to
convert the strings to URL legal character strings.

Andy Luddy

Re: Spanish chars in Firefox

Juan Carlos Valverde
Andy Luddy wrote:

> Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:
>
>> Arne wrote:

>>> In URL's you are not supposed to use any special characters, and your
>>> parameter is a URL when it goes to the address bar. They are not a part
>>> of the standard for this.
>>>
>>> When I use my own language I have the letters å, ä and ö as the last
>>> letters in the alphabet, but I can't use those letters can't be used in
>>> URL's. As an example, if I have an URL (or parameter) that includes the
>>> word "räksmörgås", I have to write it as "raksmorgas" or something
>>> similar.
>>>
>>> Also, spaces in URL's (file and directory namnes) are not standard and
>>> should not be used. I can see the parameter I belive you are refering
>>> to, as this, on IE:
>>> accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos%20y%20Pasantías
>>>
>>> In Mozilla 1.7.11 I see at this:
>>> accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos%20y%20Pasant%C3%ADas
>>>
>>> Yes, IE show the special character "í" but Mozilla interpret it to
>>> "%C3%AD". But both browsers interpret your spaces in "Trabajos y
>>> Pasantías" to "%20" and that is more of thanks to the server than the
>>> browsers. In other servers, the URL should break with the first space.
>>>
>> Yeah, I supposed I was going to get this answer, but that wil mean
>> changing the database which I can't do right now, because most of the
>> content is dynamic (ie. specified by users), I think I'll have to
>> excuse myself for bad programming practices and find some time to
>> change the way this is working.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Juan Carlos Valverde
>

> Try using the htmlentities and htmlspecialchars functions in PHP to
> convert the strings to URL legal character strings.
>
> Andy Luddy

Thanks for the advice, even though I believe using htmlentities or
htmlspecialchars may be dangerous when sending information on the
command line, because of the usage of the '&' character which in the
command line means 'next parameter'.

I've tried using utf8_encode, urlencode, etc and neither of them would
seam to solve the problem, until I recently came to a new finding: the
problem is not withing the parameter itself but within a "<meta
http-equiv...>" tag I'm using to redirect to the new page. This finding
is very recent and I have no more details on it, but as soon as I find
out something else I'll post it here.

Thanks.

Re: Spanish chars in Firefox

Juan Carlos Valverde
Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:

> Andy Luddy wrote:
>
>> Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:

>>> Yeah, I supposed I was going to get this answer, but that wil mean
>>> changing the database which I can't do right now, because most of the
>>> content is dynamic (ie. specified by users), I think I'll have to
>>> excuse myself for bad programming practices and find some time to
>>> change the way this is working.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Juan Carlos Valverde
>>

>> Try using the htmlentities and htmlspecialchars functions in PHP to
>> convert the strings to URL legal character strings.
>>
>> Andy Luddy
>

> Thanks for the advice, even though I believe using htmlentities or
> htmlspecialchars may be dangerous when sending information on the
> command line, because of the usage of the '&' character which in the
> command line means 'next parameter'.
>
> I've tried using utf8_encode, urlencode, etc and neither of them would
> seam to solve the problem, until I recently came to a new finding: the
> problem is not withing the parameter itself but within a "<meta
> http-equiv...>" tag I'm using to redirect to the new page. This finding
> is very recent and I have no more details on it, but as soon as I find
> out something else I'll post it here.
>
> Thanks.
As promised, more details:

I have this strings printed into my html:

content="3;url=../principal/inicio.php?accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos
y Pasantías">

and

<A href="../principal/inicio.php?accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos y
Pasantías">aquí</A>

The URL seams the same as far as I can tell, if I press the "aquí" link
I get redirected to the page with no problem both on IE and Firefox 1.5,
but if I let the 3 seconds go by (3 secs from the redirect) in IE I get
redirected with no problem while on Firefox 1.5 I get the error with the
'?' that originated this whole thread.

Some ideas?

Thanks,
Juan Carlos Valverde

Re: Spanish chars in Firefox

Andy Luddy
Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:

> Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:
>
>> Andy Luddy wrote:

>>> Try using the htmlentities and htmlspecialchars functions in PHP to
>>> convert the strings to URL legal character strings.
>>>
>>> Andy Luddy
>>

>> Thanks for the advice, even though I believe using htmlentities or
>> htmlspecialchars may be dangerous when sending information on the
>> command line, because of the usage of the '&' character which in the
>> command line means 'next parameter'.
>>
>> I've tried using utf8_encode, urlencode, etc and neither of them would
>> seam to solve the problem, until I recently came to a new finding: the
>> problem is not withing the parameter itself but within a "<meta
>> http-equiv...>" tag I'm using to redirect to the new page. This
>> finding is very recent and I have no more details on it, but as soon
>> as I find out something else I'll post it here.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> As promised, more details:
>
> I have this strings printed into my html:

> content="3;url=../principal/inicio.php?accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos
> y Pasantías">
>
> and
>
> <A href="../principal/inicio.php?accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos y
> Pasantías">aquí</A>
>
> The URL seams the same as far as I can tell, if I press the "aquí" link
> I get redirected to the page with no problem both on IE and Firefox 1.5,
> but if I let the 3 seconds go by (3 secs from the redirect) in IE I get
> redirected with no problem while on Firefox 1.5 I get the error with the
> '?' that originated this whole thread.
>
> Some ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Juan Carlos Valverde

If those are copied directly, there seems to be a problem with quotes in
the META tag.  I'm not as familiar, but it seems that a pair of quotes
are missing.  Either one somewhere after [content="3] and one between
[url=] and [.../principal], or a set of escaped quotes around the URL
value.  Otherwise, I fear the URL you are trying to forward to is going
to be only the
[../principal/inicio.php?accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos] value
(because of the embedded space).  But I'm weak on META tags, so I could
be mistaken.

Re: Spanish chars in Firefox

Juan Carlos Valverde
Andy Luddy wrote:

> Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:
>
>> Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:

>>> Thanks for the advice, even though I believe using htmlentities or
>>> htmlspecialchars may be dangerous when sending information on the
>>> command line, because of the usage of the '&' character which in the
>>> command line means 'next parameter'.
>>>
>>> I've tried using utf8_encode, urlencode, etc and neither of them
>>> would seam to solve the problem, until I recently came to a new
>>> finding: the problem is not withing the parameter itself but within a
>>> "<meta http-equiv...>" tag I'm using to redirect to the new page.
>>> This finding is very recent and I have no more details on it, but as
>>> soon as I find out something else I'll post it here.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>

>> As promised, more details:
>>
>> I have this strings printed into my html:

>> content="3;url=../principal/inicio.php?accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos
>> y Pasantías">
>>
>> and
>>
>> <A href="../principal/inicio.php?accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos y
>> Pasantías">aquí</A>
>>
>> The URL seams the same as far as I can tell, if I press the "aquí"
>> link I get redirected to the page with no problem both on IE and
>> Firefox 1.5, but if I let the 3 seconds go by (3 secs from the
>> redirect) in IE I get redirected with no problem while on Firefox 1.5
>> I get the error with the '?' that originated this whole thread.
>>
>> Some ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Juan Carlos Valverde
>

> If those are copied directly, there seems to be a problem with quotes in
> the META tag.  I'm not as familiar, but it seems that a pair of quotes
> are missing.  Either one somewhere after [content="3] and one between
> [url=] and [.../principal], or a set of escaped quotes around the URL
> value.  Otherwise, I fear the URL you are trying to forward to is going
> to be only the
> [../principal/inicio.php?accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos] value
> (because of the embedded space).  But I'm weak on META tags, so I could
> be mistaken.

That's actually the way the http-equiv="refresh" meta works, "content"
is the attribute and the value is a number followed by ";url=" and the URL.

Thanks anyways!

Re: Spanish chars in Firefox

Juan Carlos Valverde
Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:

> Andy Luddy wrote:
>
>> Juan Carlos Valverde wrote:

>>> As promised, more details:
>>>
>>> I have this strings printed into my html:

>>> content="3;url=../principal/inicio.php?accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos
>>> y Pasantías">
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> <A href="../principal/inicio.php?accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos y
>>> Pasantías">aquí</A>
>>>
>>> The URL seams the same as far as I can tell, if I press the "aquí"
>>> link I get redirected to the page with no problem both on IE and
>>> Firefox 1.5, but if I let the 3 seconds go by (3 secs from the
>>> redirect) in IE I get redirected with no problem while on Firefox 1.5
>>> I get the error with the '?' that originated this whole thread.
>>>
>>> Some ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Juan Carlos Valverde
>>

>> If those are copied directly, there seems to be a problem with quotes
>> in the META tag.  I'm not as familiar, but it seems that a pair of
>> quotes are missing.  Either one somewhere after [content="3] and one
>> between [url=] and [.../principal], or a set of escaped quotes around
>> the URL value.  Otherwise, I fear the URL you are trying to forward to
>> is going to be only the
>> [../principal/inicio.php?accion=categorias&seccion=Trabajos] value
>> (because of the embedded space).  But I'm weak on META tags, so I
>> could be mistaken.
>

> That's actually the way the http-equiv="refresh" meta works, "content"
> is the attribute and the value is a number followed by ";url=" and the URL.
>
> Thanks anyways!
I just found a workaround for the problem, I'm using the
header("Location: ..."); PHP function to make the redirection instead of
printing the meta-tag directly with an eco. Even though, I think that
the problem with the meta-tag may be a bug in Firefox 1.5 since it
worked alright in prior versions, and as explained before on this thread
the url still works when it's within a <A> tag.

I would really like to find out what is the problem with my original
code, besides, of course, the usage of latin characters.