Spacebar 'clicking' submit button & browser dependence

Spacebar 'clicking' submit button & browser dependence

George Brooks
I'm relatively new to the accessibility field and have run into a
problem with a site I've designed for use by the blind and visually-
impaired.  The site includes forms with several possible submit
buttons of the form <input type="submit" name="button"
value="something">.  This seemed to make the site moderately
interesting visually and works fine in Firefox.  A blind tester of the
site has pointed out that in IE, for example, he will tab to the
button then press the spacebar to 'click' on it.  It turns out that
the value attribute of the button is not POSTed in this situation.
I've verified this in my IE7.

I would greatly appreciate advice on how best to make this application
more browser-independent.  If I should ask this question elsewhere,
please let me know.

Thanks immensely.

George

Re: Spacebar 'clicking' submit button & browser dependence

George Brooks
I now know the source of the problem: IE not W3C compliant - it
submits innerText rather than the value of value attribute.

Now to find a non-javascript solution.

On Sep 10, 8:04 pm, geoB <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm relatively new to the accessibility field and have run into a
> problem with a site I've designed for use by the blind and visually-
> impaired.  The site includes forms with several possible submit
> buttons of the form <input type="submit" name="button"
> value="something">.  This seemed to make the site moderately
> interesting visually and works fine in Firefox.  A blind tester of the
> site has pointed out that in IE, for example, he will tab to the
> button then press the spacebar to 'click' on it.  It turns out that
> the value attribute of the button is not POSTed in this situation.
> I've verified this in my IE7.
>
> I would greatly appreciate advice on how best to make this application
> more browser-independent.  If I should ask this question elsewhere,
> please let me know.
>
> Thanks immensely.
>
> George

RE: Spacebar 'clicking' submit button & browser dependence

jsp (Bugzilla)
Are you sure those buttons are of the form <input type="submit"
name="button" value="something">?  The behavior you describe is
well-known for <button> elements in IE.  See, for instance,
http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20001002/017911.html.  As far
as I know, though, IE's <input type="submit"> buttons submit the "value"
attribute's value, not innerHTML.

IE also treats every <button> control as successful, which is also
wrong.  I can't for the life of me work out why they didn't fix these
years ago.  The behavior is clearly wrong, and I can't see any value in
the broken behavior.

I now know the source of the problem: IE not W3C compliant - it
submits innerText rather than the value of value attribute.

Now to find a non-javascript solution.

On Sep 10, 8:04 pm, geoB <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm relatively new to the accessibility field and have run into a
> problem with a site I've designed for use by the blind and visually-
> impaired.  The site includes forms with several possible submit
> buttons of the form <input type="submit" name="button"
> value="something">.  This seemed to make the site moderately
> interesting visually and works fine in Firefox.  A blind tester of the
> site has pointed out that in IE, for example, he will tab to the
> button then press the spacebar to 'click' on it.  It turns out that
> the value attribute of the button is not POSTed in this situation.
> I've verified this in my IE7.
>
> I would greatly appreciate advice on how best to make this application
> more browser-independent.  If I should ask this question elsewhere,
> please let me know.
>
> Thanks immensely.
>
> George

Re: Spacebar 'clicking' submit button & browser dependence

George Brooks
I'm sure - I can demonstrate it here.  The behavior seems to be
identical.

What I need to find now is a non-javascript solution that doesn't
require a whole bunch of recoding in my php project. IE POSTs the
values of all the name="button"s; I can see the value I'm looking for
when I look at the raw POSTs.  The most likely solution will be to
rename all the buttons and test them individually.  Yuk.