SoundSentry support in Firefox?

crayne
I'm wondering whether there is any XPCOM interface available to support what
in Windows is called "SoundSentry" and what in Gnome is the sound
accessibility "visual feedback" -- that is, the ability to substitute a
flashing element for an audible alert.  This would be to help make Firefox
accessible to the hearing-impaired.  I'd like to avoid re-inventing the
wheel, if possible.  Thanks.

Susan

Re: SoundSentry support in Firefox?

Aaron Leventhal-3
Hi Susan,

Firefox doesn't have this. It would probably make a useful addition to
the Mozilla platform at some point.

For the short term, can you explain what kinds of audible alerts does
Firefox not have visual feedback for? What part of Firefox is not
accessible to the hearing impaired?

I believe this is more of an issue for Thunderbird which uses sound to
indicate incoming mail.

- Aaron

Susan Crayne wrote:

> I'm wondering whether there is any XPCOM interface available to support what
> in Windows is called "SoundSentry" and what in Gnome is the sound
> accessibility "visual feedback" -- that is, the ability to substitute a
> flashing element for an audible alert.  This would be to help make Firefox
> accessible to the hearing-impaired.  I'd like to avoid re-inventing the
> wheel, if possible.  Thanks.
>
> Susan

Re: SoundSentry support in Firefox?

crayne
Hi Aaron,

Here's an example (on the Windows platform):

If you bring up a dialog (e.g. by doing File..Open), and then you click
outside the dialog, you hear a beep, indicating that the dialog is modal.
If you enable SoundSentry, you also see a flash.  The options are "flash
desktop", "flash active caption bar", and "flash active window".  So the
hearing impaired can "see' the beep.

I looked this up in Firefox's 508 compliance statement, which said that
Firefox supported this feature by not interfering with the operating
system's implementation of it.

Susan

"Aaron Leventhal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hi Susan,
>
> Firefox doesn't have this. It would probably make a useful addition to
> the Mozilla platform at some point.
>
> For the short term, can you explain what kinds of audible alerts does
> Firefox not have visual feedback for? What part of Firefox is not
> accessible to the hearing impaired?
>
> I believe this is more of an issue for Thunderbird which uses sound to
> indicate incoming mail.
>
> - Aaron
>

> Susan Crayne wrote:
> > I'm wondering whether there is any XPCOM interface available to support
what
> > in Windows is called "SoundSentry" and what in Gnome is the sound
> > accessibility "visual feedback" -- that is, the ability to substitute a
> > flashing element for an audible alert.  This would be to help make
Firefox
> > accessible to the hearing-impaired.  I'd like to avoid re-inventing the
> > wheel, if possible.  Thanks.
> >
> > Susan

Re: SoundSentry support in Firefox?

Aaron Leventhal
Does anyone have a list of all the places in Firefox where SoundSentry
is not working?

- Aaron

Susan Crayne wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> Here's an example (on the Windows platform):
>
> If you bring up a dialog (e.g. by doing File..Open), and then you click
> outside the dialog, you hear a beep, indicating that the dialog is modal.
> If you enable SoundSentry, you also see a flash.  The options are "flash
> desktop", "flash active caption bar", and "flash active window".  So the
> hearing impaired can "see' the beep.
>
> I looked this up in Firefox's 508 compliance statement, which said that
> Firefox supported this feature by not interfering with the operating
> system's implementation of it.
>

> Susan
>

> "Aaron Leventhal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
>> Hi Susan,
>>
>> Firefox doesn't have this. It would probably make a useful addition to
>> the Mozilla platform at some point.
>>
>> For the short term, can you explain what kinds of audible alerts does
>> Firefox not have visual feedback for? What part of Firefox is not
>> accessible to the hearing impaired?
>>
>> I believe this is more of an issue for Thunderbird which uses sound to
>> indicate incoming mail.
>>
>> - Aaron
>>

>> Susan Crayne wrote:
>>
>>> I'm wondering whether there is any XPCOM interface available to support
>>>
> what
>
>>> in Windows is called "SoundSentry" and what in Gnome is the sound
>>> accessibility "visual feedback" -- that is, the ability to substitute a
>>> flashing element for an audible alert.  This would be to help make
>>>
> Firefox
>
>>> accessible to the hearing-impaired.  I'd like to avoid re-inventing the
>>> wheel, if possible.  Thanks.
>>>
>>> Susan

Re: SoundSentry support in Firefox?

crayne
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that SoundSentry was not working. I was
hoping that Firefox would have an XPCOM interface or other API that would
allow me to write an extension that would permit users to turn SoundSentry
on and off from within Firefox -- that is, without having to use the Control
Panel.  If such an interface does not exist, I can write one.

"Aaron Leventhal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Does anyone have a list of all the places in Firefox where SoundSentry
> is not working?
>
> - Aaron
>
> Susan Crayne wrote:
> > Hi Aaron,
> >
> > Here's an example (on the Windows platform):
> >
> > If you bring up a dialog (e.g. by doing File..Open), and then you click
> > outside the dialog, you hear a beep, indicating that the dialog is
modal.

> > If you enable SoundSentry, you also see a flash.  The options are "flash
> > desktop", "flash active caption bar", and "flash active window".  So the
> > hearing impaired can "see' the beep.
> >
> > I looked this up in Firefox's 508 compliance statement, which said that
> > Firefox supported this feature by not interfering with the operating
> > system's implementation of it.
> >

> > Susan
> >

> > "Aaron Leventhal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> > news:[hidden email]...
> >
> >> Hi Susan,
> >>
> >> Firefox doesn't have this. It would probably make a useful addition to
> >> the Mozilla platform at some point.
> >>
> >> For the short term, can you explain what kinds of audible alerts does
> >> Firefox not have visual feedback for? What part of Firefox is not
> >> accessible to the hearing impaired?
> >>
> >> I believe this is more of an issue for Thunderbird which uses sound to
> >> indicate incoming mail.
> >>
> >> - Aaron

> > what

> > Firefox

the

Re: SoundSentry support in Firefox?

Aaron Leventhal-3
I see -- no we don't have one.

But this does bring up an important point for Thunderbird's indication
of incoming mail -- which I doubt hooks into this.

- Aaron

Susan Crayne wrote:

> I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that SoundSentry was not working. I was
> hoping that Firefox would have an XPCOM interface or other API that would
> allow me to write an extension that would permit users to turn SoundSentry
> on and off from within Firefox -- that is, without having to use the Control
> Panel.  If such an interface does not exist, I can write one.
>
> "Aaron Leventhal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> Does anyone have a list of all the places in Firefox where SoundSentry
>> is not working?
>>
>> - Aaron
>>
>> Susan Crayne wrote:
>>> Hi Aaron,
>>>
>>> Here's an example (on the Windows platform):
>>>
>>> If you bring up a dialog (e.g. by doing File..Open), and then you click
>>> outside the dialog, you hear a beep, indicating that the dialog is
> modal.
>>> If you enable SoundSentry, you also see a flash.  The options are "flash
>>> desktop", "flash active caption bar", and "flash active window".  So the
>>> hearing impaired can "see' the beep.
>>>
>>> I looked this up in Firefox's 508 compliance statement, which said that
>>> Firefox supported this feature by not interfering with the operating
>>> system's implementation of it.
>>>

>>> Susan
>>>

>>> "Aaron Leventhal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>>> news:[hidden email]...

> support
>>> what

>>> Firefox

> the

Re: SoundSentry support in Firefox?

Norman Robinson
I don't have time to check but we should be able to
deduce what is needed by using the MSAA inpection
tools from MSDN's MSAA page via url
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msaa/msaaccgd_30fn.asp
Just an option if we don't have someone available
familiar with the Microsoft development platform to
answer our questions on the API for Windows events
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msaa/msaaccgd_0rg3.asp)

Regards,

Norman