Something in SM changed after 2.7.2

Ray Davison
My mail files began life in Netscape.  I have had as many as twenty
versions of SM on the HDD, many profiles, and all pointing to the same
mail files.  I have also pointed TB to those files.  I have not used TB
for at least a year.

While eCS SM stalled at 2.7.2 I took Win SM to 10.  Now if I try to go
back to 2.7.2 those mail files do not work.  I go to a folder and open a
message and the body is not that of the message that is highlighted.  If
I scroll the highlight, the body does not change.  Also, sometimes msf
files/folders are created for directories/folders.

After the files have been used in 10 or 11, I seem to be able to use
them in 2.7.2 by deleting the msf -index?- files.

Ray

Re: Something in SM changed after 2.7.2

Ray Davison
Ray Davison wrote:

> My mail files began life in Netscape. I have had as many as twenty
> versions of SM on the HDD, many profiles, and all pointing to the same
> mail files. I have also pointed TB to those files. I have not used TB
> for at least a year.
>
> While eCS SM stalled at 2.7.2 I took Win SM to 10. Now if I try to go
> back to 2.7.2 those mail files do not work. I go to a folder and open a
> message and the body is not that of the message that is highlighted. If
> I scroll the highlight, the body does not change. Also, sometimes msf
> files/folders are created for directories/folders.
>
> After the files have been used in 10 or 11, I seem to be able to use
> them in 2.7.2 by deleting the msf -index?- files.

So, it is not my imagination.  From SM 10, 11;
"Additionally, running MailNews with local folders and POP3 mail filters
may produce summary files that are not correctly read by previous
versions of SeaMonkey. If you decide to go back to a previous version of
SeaMonkey, you should delete the .msf files for your local folders and
POP3 accounts or repair the folders using the folder properties dialog
in order to avoid potential data loss."

Mail files have been stable ever since Netscape, but someone seemingly
felt the need the change something just enough to effect the summary
files.  I asked about this on the support list, which seems to be a Win
list, and got no info.  Anyone here know what and why the change.

And with SM-eCS seemingly stuck at 2.7.2, I either keep SM-Win at 2.7.2
or delete the summary files when I go from Win to eCS.

I kinda know what index files are, are summary files similar/same?

Ray