Social integration

1234 ... 11

Social integration

Ron Hunter
I got an email, presumably because I am on the Firefox beta channel,
asking me to test the beta version of Facebook 'social integration'.
Apparently, the devs think everyone wants to be connected to Facebook,
24/7, and sit around and send chat messages back and forth.  NOT.  It is
a feature of Facebook I don't use, and if I did, I would much rather go
to the Facebook site and do my chatting directly there, then log off.
This development direction may be something attractive to a part of the
user base, but I suspect very few, if any, of them are on this group.
Does anyone see a reason for this kind of thing being integrated into FF?

Re: Social integration

WaltS-3
On 10/25/2012 05:35 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> I got an email, presumably because I am on the Firefox beta channel,
> asking me to test the beta version of Facebook 'social integration'.
> Apparently, the devs think everyone wants to be connected to Facebook,
> 24/7, and sit around and send chat messages back and forth.  NOT.  It is
> a feature of Facebook I don't use, and if I did, I would much rather go
> to the Facebook site and do my chatting directly there, then log off.
> This development direction may be something attractive to a part of the
> user base, but I suspect very few, if any, of them are on this group.
> Does anyone see a reason for this kind of thing being integrated into FF?

Yes, we heard you the first time, but would it really hurt you to test
it for a day, or week, and then submit feedback. Probably not.

The reason it is being integrated into Firefox is the younger generation
use Facebook, Twitter, and others to stay in contact. With this feature
they can, without going to each site, while browsing, playing online
games, or whatever else they may be doing.

The user could have that Facebook, Twitter or other account open in
another tab (or window), but how would they know they had a message
without selecting that tab.

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit)
KDE 4.9.2

Re: Social integration

Ron Hunter
On 10/25/2012 6:35 PM, WaltS wrote:

> On 10/25/2012 05:35 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> I got an email, presumably because I am on the Firefox beta channel,
>> asking me to test the beta version of Facebook 'social integration'.
>> Apparently, the devs think everyone wants to be connected to Facebook,
>> 24/7, and sit around and send chat messages back and forth.  NOT.  It is
>> a feature of Facebook I don't use, and if I did, I would much rather go
>> to the Facebook site and do my chatting directly there, then log off.
>> This development direction may be something attractive to a part of the
>> user base, but I suspect very few, if any, of them are on this group.
>> Does anyone see a reason for this kind of thing being integrated into FF?
>>

> Yes, we heard you the first time, but would it really hurt you to test
> it for a day, or week, and then submit feedback. Probably not.
>
> The reason it is being integrated into Firefox is the younger generation
> use Facebook, Twitter, and others to stay in contact. With this feature
> they can, without going to each site, while browsing, playing online
> games, or whatever else they may be doing.
>
> The user could have that Facebook, Twitter or other account open in
> another tab (or window), but how would they know they had a message
> without selecting that tab.

Well, I don't use those features on Facebook in the first place, so
having them in FF isn't a 'value added feature' for me.  And the LAST
thing I want is something like chat stealing my screen space.  For those
who want such a feature, it may be very useful.  Not for me, but I am
not against adding it if many users find it useful.
And how about doing it like Win7, flashing the other tab a different color?

Re: Social integration

»Q«
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:35:00 -0500
Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got an email, presumably because I am on the Firefox beta channel,
> asking me to test the beta version of Facebook 'social integration'.
> Apparently, the devs think everyone wants to be connected to
> Facebook, 24/7, and sit around and send chat messages back and
> forth.

Asking beta testers to test features doesn't indicate that they think
*everyone* wants the features, does it?  Or should they only test
features after they have determined that *everyone* wants the features?

Re: Social integration

Jay Garcia
On 25.10.2012 21:37, »Q« wrote:

>> I got an email, presumably because I am on the Firefox beta channel,
>> asking me to test the beta version of Facebook 'social integration'.
>> Apparently, the devs think everyone wants to be connected to
>> Facebook, 24/7, and sit around and send chat messages back and
>> forth.
>
> Asking beta testers to test features doesn't indicate that they think
> *everyone* wants the features, does it?  Or should they only test
> features after they have determined that *everyone* wants the features?

+1

Apparently Ron was in the other 50% of users that they thought might
want the feature. :-)

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: Social integration

Ron Hunter
On 10/25/2012 9:37 PM, »Q« wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:35:00 -0500
> Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I got an email, presumably because I am on the Firefox beta channel,
>> asking me to test the beta version of Facebook 'social integration'.
>> Apparently, the devs think everyone wants to be connected to
>> Facebook, 24/7, and sit around and send chat messages back and
>> forth.
>
> Asking beta testers to test features doesn't indicate that they think
> *everyone* wants the features, does it?  Or should they only test
> features after they have determined that *everyone* wants the features?

No, but I test the features I will USE, and that I need.  Since using a
product in the way it was intended, is the best way to test it, I
wouldn't be qualified to test this feature, which I don't even use on
the Facebook website.  My only suggestion would be to not bother with
the feature, which is of little value to the developers who, obviously,
think it is something useful.

Re: Social integration

Ron Hunter
On 10/25/2012 10:40 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 25.10.2012 21:37, »Q« wrote:

Definitely.  Just like the tab management feature, it's something I
don't use, so I wouldn't be a good person to test it.

Re: Social integration

Jay Garcia
On 26.10.2012 02:15, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> I got an email, presumably because I am on the Firefox beta channel,
>>> asking me to test the beta version of Facebook 'social integration'.
>>> Apparently, the devs think everyone wants to be connected to
>>> Facebook, 24/7, and sit around and send chat messages back and
>>> forth.
>>
>> Asking beta testers to test features doesn't indicate that they think
>> *everyone* wants the features, does it?  Or should they only test
>> features after they have determined that *everyone* wants the features?
>>

> No, but I test the features I will USE, and that I need.  Since using a
> product in the way it was intended, is the best way to test it, I
> wouldn't be qualified to test this feature, which I don't even use on
> the Facebook website.  My only suggestion would be to not bother with
> the feature, which is of little value to the developers who, obviously,
> think it is something useful.

There has been a huge request regarding facebook integration. You should
see it from my side of the support/feedback venue. From where you sit
it's of no value, granted. Easy 'nuff to just ignore the email and move on.

On 26.10.2012 02:18, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 10/25/2012 10:40 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 25.10.2012 21:37, »Q« wrote:

50% of a gazillion users is still a gazillion users.

On 10/26/2012 7:30 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 26.10.2012 02:15, Ron Hunter wrote:

I will ignore the feature.  There are probably a few people in the world
who aren't even ON Facebook.  Grin.

Re: Social integration

Ron Hunter
On 10/26/2012 7:32 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 26.10.2012 02:18, Ron Hunter wrote:

I think the number of people who routinely use enough tabs to need the
tab management feature is more like 3%.  I am sure more than that will
use social integration, especially when it covers Twitter (which I don't
use), and Facebook (which I use, but NOT for messaging, or chat).

Re: Social integration

Jay Garcia
On 26.10.2012 08:18, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 10/26/2012 7:30 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 26.10.2012 02:15, Ron Hunter wrote:

Two of us here for sure that will have nothing whatsoever to do with
social venues, at least online. 8-)

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/
Mozilla Mozillian Member - www.mozillians.org

Re: Social integration

F1Com
On 10/25/2012 2:35 PM On a whim, Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard

> I got an email, presumably because I am on the Firefox beta channel,
> asking me to test the beta version of Facebook 'social integration'.
> Apparently, the devs think everyone wants to be connected to Facebook,
> 24/7, and sit around and send chat messages back and forth.  NOT.  It is
> a feature of Facebook I don't use, and if I did, I would much rather go
> to the Facebook site and do my chatting directly there, then log off.
> This development direction may be something attractive to a part of the
> user base, but I suspect very few, if any, of them are on this group.
> Does anyone see a reason for this kind of thing being integrated into FF?

No, nor any other "social integration".

Terry

Re: Social integration

F1Com
On 10/26/2012 5:30 AM On a whim, Jay Garcia pounded out on the keyboard

> On 26.10.2012 02:15, Ron Hunter wrote:

And on my side of support there has been a huge hatred against any
social integration.  Most don't even want ONE FB icon displayed anywhere.

Terry

Re: Social integration

Daniel-257
Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 10/26/2012 7:30 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 26.10.2012 02:15, Ron Hunter wrote:

Pick me, Ron, pick me!

When my eldest niece got married, she posted the wedding photo's on
Facebook, so I have used it, or, rather, I looked over my sister's (not
niece's mother) shoulder when she was looking at the Facebook page.

Apart from that, .... ummm ...., let me think...... err ....!!

--
Daniel

Re: Social integration

WaltS-3
On 10/26/2012 10:55 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 10/26/2012 5:30 AM On a whim, Jay Garcia pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> On 26.10.2012 02:15, Ron Hunter wrote:

Wait until they get the Twitter, and other icons. Then again, they
should be able to disable it. It may be just one icon with a drop down menu.

The sidebar and notifications currently can be disabled through the FB icon.

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit)
KDE 4.9.2

Re: Social integration

PhillipJones-2
[hidden email] wrote:

> On 10/25/2012 2:35 PM On a whim, Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> I got an email, presumably because I am on the Firefox beta channel,
>> asking me to test the beta version of Facebook 'social integration'.
>> Apparently, the devs think everyone wants to be connected to Facebook,
>> 24/7, and sit around and send chat messages back and forth. NOT. It is
>> a feature of Facebook I don't use, and if I did, I would much rather go
>> to the Facebook site and do my chatting directly there, then log off.
>> This development direction may be something attractive to a part of the
>> user base, but I suspect very few, if any, of them are on this group.
>> Does anyone see a reason for this kind of thing being integrated into FF?
>
> No, nor any other "social integration".
>

> Terry

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I make myself clear.

If not how about

Hell No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Social integration

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 10/26/2012 7:52 AM:

> On 10/25/2012 2:35 PM On a whim, Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> I got an email, presumably because I am on the Firefox beta channel,
>> asking me to test the beta version of Facebook 'social integration'.
>> Apparently, the devs think everyone wants to be connected to Facebook,
>> 24/7, and sit around and send chat messages back and forth.  NOT.  It is
>> a feature of Facebook I don't use, and if I did, I would much rather go
>> to the Facebook site and do my chatting directly there, then log off.
>> This development direction may be something attractive to a part of the
>> user base, but I suspect very few, if any, of them are on this group.
>> Does anyone see a reason for this kind of thing being integrated into FF?
>
> No, nor any other "social integration".

"Social" is just a happy-sounding euphemism for privacy invasion.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: Social integration

Tarkus-4
On 10/26/2012 12:15 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 10/25/2012 9:37 PM, »Q« wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:35:00 -0500
>> Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I got an email, presumably because I am on the Firefox beta channel,
>>> asking me to test the beta version of Facebook 'social integration'.
>>> Apparently, the devs think everyone wants to be connected to
>>> Facebook, 24/7, and sit around and send chat messages back and
>>> forth.
>>
>> Asking beta testers to test features doesn't indicate that they think
>> *everyone* wants the features, does it?  Or should they only test
>> features after they have determined that *everyone* wants the features?
>>
> No, but I test the features I will USE, and that I need.  Since using a
> product in the way it was intended, is the best way to test it, I
> wouldn't be qualified to test this feature, which I don't even use on
> the Facebook website.  My only suggestion would be to not bother with
> the feature, which is of little value to the developers who, obviously,
> think it is something useful.

So don't test it.  What was the problem again?

Re: Social integration

Bob Henson-4

On 26/10/2012 3:36 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 26.10.2012 08:18, Ron Hunter wrote:

+1.
--
Bob