So what _is_ this Australis thing? (And, how about a "freeze/undo" option?)

Re: So what _is_ this Australis thing? (And, how about a "freeze/undo" option?)

PhillipJones-2
»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> WaltS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 08/10/2013 08:05 PM, »Q« wrote:
>
>>> I don't find it the least bit confusing, but maybe I'm not an old
>>> enough user.  I've only been using web browsers for slightly under
>>> twenty years.
>>
>> I learned more about it today than I ever knew while creating the
>> screenshots for my other post.
>>
>> Shoot! Does that make me the resident expert?
>
> Yup.  Now it's your job to answer all questions about Australis.  Have
> fun!  ;)

Yes it your duty now to Convert to the system and write detailed reports
to use about every nook and Cranny in this new system. You must report
any good. But all the Bad, the very bad, the ugly and the very very very
ugly. And your also will spearhead any protest againt Mozilla as a
result of this dumb idea.

FOLKS! DON"T YOU GET IT! YOU SERVE THE USERS! NOT SOME
SELF-AGGRANDIZEMENT. In free or public software (FF/TB/SM) it the users
your are supposed to please. Not yourself.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 8/10/2013 7:05 PM, »Q« wrote:
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> How much does it confuse the old user?
>>
>> I don't find it the least bit confusing, but maybe I'm not an old
>> enough user.  I've only been using web browsers for slightly under
>> twenty years.
>>
> I mean OLD old users.  Grin.
> If you ain't 70, you don't qualify.

I'm not 70 yet (64) But I don't want to use no Google Chrome or Safari
wannabe

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: So what _is_ this Australis thing? (And, how about a "freeze/undo" option?)

Daniel-257
Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 8/10/2013
> 5:24 PM:
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> WaltS <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I learned more about it today than I ever knew while creating the
>>> screenshots for my other post.
>>>
>>> Shoot! Does that make me the resident expert?
>>
>> Yup.  Now it's your job to answer all questions about Australis.  Have
>> fun!  ;)
>>
> Well, to really buff-up his bona fides he needs to be a citizen of
> Australis, it's right next to Peruvia :-)

And what makes you think we want Walt?? :-) Oh, wait, you typed
Australis, not Australia!! :-P

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/21.0 SeaMonkey/2.18 Build identifier: 20130418192405

or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.20 Build identifier: 20130709211044

Re: So what _is_ this Australis thing? (And, how about a "freeze/undo" option?)

WaltS-2
On 08/10/2013 11:22 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> WaltS wrote:

>>> I am pretty sure that users of nightly versions would LOVE a 'revert'
>>> button.  Some nightlies are nightmarelies?
>>>

>> Nightly and Aurora are "experimental and may be unstable".
>>
>    I have been testing Aurora but if they are going to use Austrailis
> thing I can't afford to test as Its been using my FireFox profile. And
> drastic changes such as these would screw up my FF profile. I can't
> afford that.  If I could figure out how to make a copy of my FF Profile
> and then Point Aurora to that Copy I might continue with that testing.
> No more.

Stand Alone Profile Manager comes to mind. I have been using it since I
discovered it.

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Profile_Manager>

Or use the built-in profile manager.

<http://mzl.la/LL5Dxl>

--
"Let's concentrate on the issues, not the emotions." - Bob from
fedoraforums.org

WaltS wrote:
------------------snip------------------

>>> Nightly and Aurora are "experimental and may be unstable".
>>>
>>    I have been testing Aurora but if they are going to use Austrailis
>> thing I can't afford to test as Its been using my FireFox profile. And
>> drastic changes such as these would screw up my FF profile. I can't
>> afford that.  If I could figure out how to make a copy of my FF Profile
>> and then Point Aurora to that Copy I might continue with that testing.
>> No more.
>>

> Stand Alone Profile Manager comes to mind. I have been using it since I
> discovered it.
>
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Profile_Manager>
>
> Or use the built-in profile manager.
>
> <http://mzl.la/LL5Dxl>

There is no stand alone Profile Manager in FF that was ripped this year.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: So what _is_ this Australis thing? (And, how about a "freeze/undo" option?)

jetjock
Felixx wrote:

> [...]
>>by it. And a different settings-access button - well, I don't have one - I
>>get at settings via Tools, Options, since I don't change things that often
>>and would rather have the bar space - but again I'm not bothered (it's
>>probably hideable under Australis too anyway).
>>
>>However, obviously, there's more to Australis than these three appearance
>>things: general hints about changing how the user configures things in a
>>pretty major way (with strong implication, at least, in several of the
>>pages I looked at that there will be more restrictions on how users will
>>be able to configure things at all). Those, plus the continued use of
>>phrases like "user experience" (they'll be mentioning a "journey" next,
>>you just watch!), make me decidedly apprehensive, but: we're all (or most
>>of us anyway) resistant to change, and unlike many here I don't think this
>>is being made purely for the sake of change, but with genuinely good
>>intentions.
>>
>>So could someone explain what Australis actually means? I realise it's
>>probably very difficult to explain something like this, which seems to be
>>a whole concept and approach, but I'd appreciate it if you'd try. (Even if
>>things like the head of the project wondering if "browser" is still the
>>right words to use, make me shudder a bit.)
>>

>>The last but is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I wonder if the developers
>>could consider providing some sort of snapshot capability whenever there's
>>a change (in the release channel) - i. e. a way of freezing a copy of how
>>a user has things set up now, but letting them upgrade - but with the
>>option of undoing, time-limited to three weeks if you think that's a good
>>idea, if they don't like the new version? I know there is already "save
>>profile" (though I don't know if that saves everything, such as add-on
>>configurations), but it's a bit more complex than it need be, and the
>>revert to previous version is certainly not trivial, as it involves
>>finding an installer for the previous version (many users will have
>>upgraded by clicking on the upgrade button [or letting it happen
>>automatically], so won't have that installer as such), and then making
>>that installer work with the saved profile, and removing the new version
>>(not necessarily in that order).
>>
>>I say tongue-in-cheek because (a) making it a bit simpler [an "I wanna go
>>back!"* button!] would probably involve a fair bit of work (though
>>hopefully would only have to be done once!), and (b), of course, the
>>developers always think any new version is the best thing since sliced
>>bread, and won't understand any user not agreeing with that (and certainly
>>won't want to encourage reversion).
>>

>It's probably the end of Firefox... Actually version 22 is probably the last
>one for me. I'm refusing the 23 version because of the tab thingie. Nothing
>they're doing is for the better. Every new version only creates more

+1

Sailfish wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> I say tongue-in-cheek because (a) making it a bit simpler [an "I
>>> wanna go back!"* button!] would probably involve a fair bit of work
>>> (though hopefully would only have to be done once!), and (b), of
>>> course, the developers always think any new version is the best
>>> thing since sliced bread, and won't understand any user not agreeing
>>> with that (and certainly won't want to encourage reversion).
>>

>> It's probably the end of Firefox... Actually version 22 is probably
>> the last one for me. I'm refusing the 23 version because of the tab
>> thingie. Nothing they're doing is for the better. Every new version
>> only creates more problems. Enough is enough.
>
> If you're looking for a browser where the UI remains the same (mostly)
> and the rendering engine stays current, your only other alternative is
> Seamonkey. Every other browser, including IE, are in constinual change

Not if you tell it "To never check for updates"!  Is "constinual"
somthing like constipational?  ;-)

Re: So what _is_ this Australis thing? (And, how about a "freeze/undo" option?)

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on 8/11/2013
8:44 AM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Felixx graced us with on
>> 8/10/2013 10:34 AM:
>>
>>> "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>>> news:[hidden email]...

>>> It's probably the end of Firefox... Actually version 22 is probably
>>> the last one for me. I'm refusing the 23 version because of the tab
>>> thingie. Nothing they're doing is for the better. Every new version
>>> only creates more problems. Enough is enough.
>>
>> If you're looking for a browser where the UI remains the same (mostly)
>> and the rendering engine stays current, your only other alternative is
>> Seamonkey. Every other browser, including IE, are in constinual change
>> mode.
>>
> Not if you tell it "To never check for updates"!  Is "constinual"
> somthing like constipational?  ;-)

Sure, that'll work. Of course, one could just as easily go back to Fx
3.6, too.

--
Sailfish

Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 8/10/2013 6:41 PM, »Q« wrote:
>
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I am pretty sure that users of nightly versions would LOVE a 'revert'
>>> button.  Some nightlies are nightmarelies?
>>

>> There was some talk about that too, in the same thread.  I'm sorry I
>> didn't save references.  It was sometime in the last couple of months,
>> on the developer ml.
>>

> It really shouldn't be too hard to save the profile each time an
> update is done, and then write a simple program to copy back a backup
> profile to the active profile folder.  Nothing really complicated.

I do believe someone has already done that. It's called "MozBackup" and
I've been using it for years. Will completely (or partially) restore
your old profile. All you have to remember to do is back up your profile
once in a while.

On 08/11/2013 11:35 AM, PhillipJones wrote:

> WaltS wrote:
> ------------------snip------------------

>>>     I have been testing Aurora but if they are going to use Austrailis
>>> thing I can't afford to test as Its been using my FireFox profile. And
>>> drastic changes such as these would screw up my FF profile. I can't
>>> afford that.  If I could figure out how to make a copy of my FF Profile
>>> and then Point Aurora to that Copy I might continue with that testing.
>>> No more.
>>>

>> Stand Alone Profile Manager comes to mind. I have been using it since I
>> discovered it.
>>
>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Profile_Manager>
>>
>> Or use the built-in profile manager.
>>
>> <http://mzl.la/LL5Dxl>
>>
> There is no stand alone Profile Manager in FF that was ripped this year.

You say that after following the links I posted or never following the
links I posted?

Stand alone is not part of Firefox, built-in is.

Stand Alone looks like this. You can add a launcher and just click to
activate it.

<http://imgur.com/UKwfFPb>

Built-in, which you have to open using a command line

<http://imgur.com/CsqDgJk>

--
"Let's concentrate on the issues, not the emotions." - Bob from
fedoraforums.org

Re: So what _is_ this Australis thing? (And, how about a "freeze/undo" option?)

Ron Hunter
On 8/11/2013 10:37 AM, jetjock wrote:

> [...]
>>> that installer as such), and then making that installer work with the
>>> saved profile, and removing the new version (not necessarily in that
>>> order).
>>>
>>> I say tongue-in-cheek because (a) making it a bit simpler [an "I
>>> wanna go back!"* button!] would probably involve a fair bit of work
>>> (though hopefully would only have to be done once!), and (b), of
>>> course, the developers always think any new version is the best thing
>>> since sliced bread, and won't understand any user not agreeing with
>>> that (and certainly won't want to encourage reversion).
>>>

>> It's probably the end of Firefox... Actually version 22 is probably
>> the last one for me. I'm refusing the 23 version because of the tab
>> thingie. Nothing they're doing is for the better. Every new version
>> only creates more problems. Enough is enough.

So, you are just going to use FF22 until nothing works any more, or one
the exploits manages to brick your PC?  I hate to tell you, but ALL the
other browsers insist on a fixed tab bar as well.  At least all the ones
I have tried do.

jetjock wrote:
------------------snip------------------

>> It's probably the end of Firefox... Actually version 22 is probably
>> the last one for me. I'm refusing the 23 version because of the tab
>> thingie. Nothing they're doing is for the better. Every new version
>> only creates more problems. Enough is enough.
>
> +1

You can install an extension that remove the tab if there is only one
page and you still (thankfully) can in the Preferences on the Mac
version to use windows only.

And as long as you don't touch the setting for tab on Top tabs will
remain on bottom where they should always be if you use tabs.

I will stop updating they switch to this new Austrialis system. I don't
like using Chrome and Safari and I %^&$# sure don't want to use a Chrome
wannabe.

I figure when it comes out Google will sue the pants off of Mozilla
because it looks too much like their own product. And Mozilla will have
to go back to the old design within 2 months, or pay out some dough.

Ron Hunter wrote:
------------------snip------------------

>>> It's probably the end of Firefox... Actually version 22 is probably
>>> the last one for me. I'm refusing the 23 version because of the tab
>>> thingie. Nothing they're doing is for the better. Every new version
>>> only creates more problems. Enough is enough.
>>
>> +1
> So, you are just going to use FF22 until nothing works any more, or one
> the exploits manages to brick your PC?  I hate to tell you, but ALL the
> other browsers insist on a fixed tab bar as well.  At least all the ones
> I have tried do.

But the Tab doesn't need to be there at all if your on just one page and
you haven't gone anywhere. I could argue that is wasted space. And if
you have the extension to remove the tab you don't need to see the
blasted thing. I set to windows only. Tabs to me are of no benefit
because I don't usually go back and forth.

WaltS wrote:

> On 08/11/2013 11:35 AM, PhillipJones wrote:
>> WaltS wrote:
>> ------------------snip------------------

>>> Stand Alone Profile Manager comes to mind. I have been using it since I
>>> discovered it.
>>>
>>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Profile_Manager>
>>>
>>> Or use the built-in profile manager.
>>>
>>> <http://mzl.la/LL5Dxl>
>>>
>> There is no stand alone Profile Manager in FF that was ripped this year.
>>

> You say that after following the links I posted or never following the
> links I posted?
>
> Stand alone is not part of Firefox, built-in is.
>
> Stand Alone looks like this. You can add a launcher and just click to
> activate it.
>
> <http://imgur.com/UKwfFPb>
>
> Built-in, which you have to open using a command line
>
> <http://imgur.com/CsqDgJk>

I opened the standalone Profile Manager and there is only a Listing for
Firefox don't see away to Control Aurora.  Don't see a way to duplicate
a Profile and rename it.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: So what _is_ this Australis thing? (And, how about a "freeze/undo" option?)

Christian Riechers-3
On 08/11/2013 09:27 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
> I opened the standalone Profile Manager and there is only a Listing for
> Firefox don't see away to Control Aurora.  Don't see a way to duplicate
> a Profile and rename it.

Seen the 'Copy' menu item?

PhillipJones wrote:

> WaltS wrote:
>> On 08/11/2013 11:35 AM, PhillipJones wrote:
>>> WaltS wrote:
>>> ------------------snip------------------

>>> There is no stand alone Profile Manager in FF that was ripped this year.
>>>

>> You say that after following the links I posted or never following the
>> links I posted?
>>
>> Stand alone is not part of Firefox, built-in is.
>>
>> Stand Alone looks like this. You can add a launcher and just click to
>> activate it.
>>
>> <http://imgur.com/UKwfFPb>
>>
>> Built-in, which you have to open using a command line
>>
>> <http://imgur.com/CsqDgJk>
>>
> I opened the standalone Profile Manager and there is only a Listing for
> Firefox don't see away to Control Aurora.  Don't see a way to duplicate
> a Profile and rename it.

Tried the standalone for Aurora will not work keeps being identified as
FireFox and rebounds back to to my FireFox Default.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: So what _is_ this Australis thing? (And, how about a "freeze/undo" option?)

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
PhillipJones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> »Q« wrote:
> > In <news:[hidden email]>,
> > Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> How much does it confuse the old user?
> >
> > I don't find it the least bit confusing, but maybe I'm not an old
> > enough user.  I've only been using web browsers for slightly under
> > twenty years.
> >
> You are young and can easily be corrupted :-)
> I have been using the Internet since the days of the Mac SE/30 and
> RedRyder/WhiteKnight (Bulletin Boards) having to pay for Long
> Distance calls.

I've been using the Internet for more than twenty years, just not
web browsers for that long.

On 08/11/2013 04:01 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> PhillipJones wrote:
>> WaltS wrote:

>>> You say that after following the links I posted or never following the
>>> links I posted?
>>>
>>> Stand alone is not part of Firefox, built-in is.
>>>
>>> Stand Alone looks like this. You can add a launcher and just click to
>>> activate it.
>>>
>>> <http://imgur.com/UKwfFPb>
>>>
>>> Built-in, which you have to open using a command line
>>>
>>> <http://imgur.com/CsqDgJk>
>>>
>> I opened the standalone Profile Manager and there is only a Listing for
>> Firefox don't see away to Control Aurora.  Don't see a way to duplicate
>> a Profile and rename it.
>>
> Tried the standalone for Aurora will not work keeps being identified as
> FireFox and rebounds back to to my FireFox Default.

Did you click on the "Manage Firefox Versions" button and add the path
to Aurora to the "Application Versions" window?

On 08/11/2013 03:27 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> WaltS wrote:
>> On 08/11/2013 11:35 AM, PhillipJones wrote:
>>> WaltS wrote:
>>> ------------------snip------------------

>>> There is no stand alone Profile Manager in FF that was ripped this year.
>>>

>> You say that after following the links I posted or never following the
>> links I posted?
>>
>> Stand alone is not part of Firefox, built-in is.
>>
>> Stand Alone looks like this. You can add a launcher and just click to
>> activate it.
>>
>> <http://imgur.com/UKwfFPb>
>>
>> Built-in, which you have to open using a command line
>>
>> <http://imgur.com/CsqDgJk>
>>
> I opened the standalone Profile Manager and there is only a Listing for
> Firefox don't see away to Control Aurora.  Don't see a way to duplicate
> a Profile and rename it.

Select the profile, select "Copy" from the menu bar, the "Copy Profile"
window opens, give it a name, click "OK".

»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> PhillipJones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> »Q« wrote:

>>> I don't find it the least bit confusing, but maybe I'm not an old
>>> enough user.  I've only been using web browsers for slightly under
>>> twenty years.
>>>
>> You are young and can easily be corrupted :-)
>> I have been using the Internet since the days of the Mac SE/30 and
>> RedRyder/WhiteKnight (Bulletin Boards) having to pay for Long
>> Distance calls.
>
> I've been using the Internet for more than twenty years, just not
> web browsers for that long.

My very first web browser was Netscape 3.0.a Gold had to pay $40.00 for
that and came as a CD and a 200 page paperback Manual. And I tried IE
for mac when it came out and kept it to view IE centric Websites. Back
then Many sites catered to Microsoft using FrontPage to create websites
and would only work with IE.  Whe Safari came out MS killed all support
for IE Mac.