Site makes Firefox use up all CPU cycles

Site makes Firefox use up all CPU cycles

BosseB
I have a big problem with FireFox (now 3.5 but was the same with 3.0)
whenever I open this Swedish newspaper site: http://www.dn.se/

Wat appens is that after a short while my laptop's fan starts into
turbo mode and when I use TaskManager to look at the performance it
shows my CPU utilization at over 50% and sometimes approaching 100%.
The process that is using allthese cycles is always FireFox...

As soon as I leave the site the CPU util drops to a few % only.
This does not happen on other news sites..
I have complained to the web resposnible at the newspaper without
success.

Now I would like to know exactly *what* on this site is inducing FF to
grab all these cycles? Is there any way one can find out what is going
on behind the scenes in FireFox??

I have AdBlockPlus installed with the default blocking subscription.

Any ideas?

Bo Berglund

Re: Site makes Firefox use up all CPU cycles

Ron Hunter
Bo Berglund wrote:

> I have a big problem with FireFox (now 3.5 but was the same with 3.0)
> whenever I open this Swedish newspaper site: http://www.dn.se/
>
> Wat appens is that after a short while my laptop's fan starts into
> turbo mode and when I use TaskManager to look at the performance it
> shows my CPU utilization at over 50% and sometimes approaching 100%.
> The process that is using allthese cycles is always FireFox...
>
> As soon as I leave the site the CPU util drops to a few % only.
> This does not happen on other news sites..
> I have complained to the web resposnible at the newspaper without
> success.
>
> Now I would like to know exactly *what* on this site is inducing FF to
> grab all these cycles? Is there any way one can find out what is going
> on behind the scenes in FireFox??
>
> I have AdBlockPlus installed with the default blocking subscription.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Bo Berglund

Usually the high CPU usage is either Flash, or Java(Script).  Those are
controlled by the site, and can eat large quantities of CPU time, often
to no user benefit.  This can be a problem if you are operating on
batteries, or if you need to have background processing running.

Re: Site makes Firefox use up all CPU cycles

Robert Blair-2
On 9/6/2009 11:04 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> Bo Berglund wrote:
>> I have a big problem with FireFox (now 3.5 but was the same with 3.0)
>> whenever I open this Swedish newspaper site: http://www.dn.se/
>>
>> Wat appens is that after a short while my laptop's fan starts into
>> turbo mode and when I use TaskManager to look at the performance it
>> shows my CPU utilization at over 50% and sometimes approaching 100%.
>> The process that is using allthese cycles is always FireFox...
>>
>> As soon as I leave the site the CPU util drops to a few % only.
>> This does not happen on other news sites..
>> I have complained to the web resposnible at the newspaper without
>> success.
>>
>> Now I would like to know exactly *what* on this site is inducing FF to
>> grab all these cycles? Is there any way one can find out what is going
>> on behind the scenes in FireFox??
>>
>> I have AdBlockPlus installed with the default blocking subscription.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

>> Bo Berglund
>>
> Usually the high CPU usage is either Flash, or Java(Script).  Those are
> controlled by the site, and can eat large quantities of CPU time, often
> to no user benefit.  This can be a problem if you are operating on
> batteries, or if you need to have background processing running.

With JavaScript disabled and all images blocked, the page loads quickly
and causes no problems.  I have the FlashBlock extension running, but it
did not indicate any Flash on the page (which would have been shown by a
script 'f' in a circle).

I blocked the images because there are a large number of them (more than
100).  Each image not only requires time to load its bytes; it also
requires a request from the browser to the server and then a response
from the server.  While this is happening, it is common for the browser
to freeze.  Many small images will often be worse than few large images.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much

David E. Ross wrote:

> On 9/6/2009 11:04 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> Bo Berglund wrote:
>>> I have a big problem with FireFox (now 3.5 but was the same with 3.0)
>>> whenever I open this Swedish newspaper site: http://www.dn.se/
>>>
>>> Wat appens is that after a short while my laptop's fan starts into
>>> turbo mode and when I use TaskManager to look at the performance it
>>> shows my CPU utilization at over 50% and sometimes approaching 100%.
>>> The process that is using allthese cycles is always FireFox...
>>>
>>> As soon as I leave the site the CPU util drops to a few % only.
>>> This does not happen on other news sites..
>>> I have complained to the web resposnible at the newspaper without
>>> success.
>>>
>>> Now I would like to know exactly *what* on this site is inducing FF to
>>> grab all these cycles? Is there any way one can find out what is going
>>> on behind the scenes in FireFox??
>>>
>>> I have AdBlockPlus installed with the default blocking subscription.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>>> Bo Berglund
>>>
>> Usually the high CPU usage is either Flash, or Java(Script).  Those are
>> controlled by the site, and can eat large quantities of CPU time, often
>> to no user benefit.  This can be a problem if you are operating on
>> batteries, or if you need to have background processing running.
>
> With JavaScript disabled and all images blocked, the page loads quickly
> and causes no problems.  I have the FlashBlock extension running, but it
> did not indicate any Flash on the page (which would have been shown by a
> script 'f' in a circle).
>
> I blocked the images because there are a large number of them (more than
> 100).  Each image not only requires time to load its bytes; it also
> requires a request from the browser to the server and then a response
> from the server.  While this is happening, it is common for the browser
> to freeze.  Many small images will often be worse than few large images.

One thing you might check is to see how many objects Firefox is set to
download at once.  If it is making the CPU go to 100%, then it may shut
out other tasks, so it really won't improve anything.

Re: Site makes Firefox use up all CPU cycles

BosseB
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 12:44:11 +0200, Bo Berglund
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have a big problem with FireFox (now 3.5 but was the same with 3.0)
>whenever I open this Swedish newspaper site: http://www.dn.se/
>
>Wat appens is that after a short while my laptop's fan starts into
>turbo mode and when I use TaskManager to look at the performance it
>shows my CPU utilization at over 50% and sometimes approaching 100%.
>The process that is using allthese cycles is always FireFox...
>
>As soon as I leave the site the CPU util drops to a few % only.
>This does not happen on other news sites..
>I have complained to the web resposnible at the newspaper without
>success.
>
>Now I would like to know exactly *what* on this site is inducing FF to
>grab all these cycles? Is there any way one can find out what is going
>on behind the scenes in FireFox??
>
>I have AdBlockPlus installed with the default blocking subscription.

I have now made a TaskManager screenshot on my desktop (DELL Dimension
9100 with a dual-core CPU and 3 Gb RAM) when I visit this page.
It clearly shows the effect of loading this page (between the red
lines on each CPU). During the time shown no other things changed on
my PC.
THe screenshot is here:
http://web.telia.com/~u84302564/FireFoxLoad.png

Notice the periodic 50% CPU peaks on both CPU:s!

On my desktop, which sits on an 8Mbit/s ADSL connection the CPU usage
does not cause any visible/audible effects like starting up a fan or
so.
But on my laptop (used when I posted this originally) with a Turbo-3G
Internet connection at considerably slower speed it is really annoying
when the fan starts going turbo and here I can notice my PC responses
degrade....

Unfortunately I did not make a corresponding screenshot on that single
core HP nw8240 laptop workstation which has 2 Gb RAM.

Both PC:s use XP-Pro SP3 and the latest FireFox 3.5.2

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: Site makes Firefox use up all CPU cycles

BosseB
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 09:44:50 +0200, BosseB <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>I have now made a TaskManager screenshot on my desktop (DELL Dimension
>9100 with a dual-core CPU and 3 Gb RAM) when I visit this page.
>It clearly shows the effect of loading this page (between the red
>lines on each CPU). During the time shown no other things changed on
>my PC.
>THe screenshot is here:
>http://web.telia.com/~u84302564/FireFoxLoad.png
>
>Notice the periodic 50% CPU peaks on both CPU:s!
>
>On my desktop, which sits on an 8Mbit/s ADSL connection the CPU usage
>does not cause any visible/audible effects like starting up a fan or
>so.
>But on my laptop (used when I posted this originally) with a Turbo-3G
>Internet connection at considerably slower speed it is really annoying
>when the fan starts going turbo and here I can notice my PC responses
>degrade....
>
>Unfortunately I did not make a corresponding screenshot on that single
>core HP nw8240 laptop workstation which has 2 Gb RAM.
>
>Both PC:s use XP-Pro SP3 and the latest FireFox 3.5.2

Now I have made a screenshot also on the laptop, but this time it is
connected to the Internet via WiFi rather than slow Turbo-3G. Still an
impressive CPU cycle usage...
See: http://web.telia.com/~u84302564/FireFoxLaptop.png

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

BosseB wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 12:44:11 +0200, Bo Berglund
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have a big problem with FireFox (now 3.5 but was the same with 3.0)
>> whenever I open this Swedish newspaper site: http://www.dn.se/
>>
>> Wat appens is that after a short while my laptop's fan starts into
>> turbo mode and when I use TaskManager to look at the performance it
>> shows my CPU utilization at over 50% and sometimes approaching 100%.
>> The process that is using allthese cycles is always FireFox...
>>
>> As soon as I leave the site the CPU util drops to a few % only.
>> This does not happen on other news sites..
>> I have complained to the web resposnible at the newspaper without
>> success.
>>
>> Now I would like to know exactly *what* on this site is inducing FF to
>> grab all these cycles? Is there any way one can find out what is going
>> on behind the scenes in FireFox??
>>
>> I have AdBlockPlus installed with the default blocking subscription.
>>

> I have now made a TaskManager screenshot on my desktop (DELL Dimension
> 9100 with a dual-core CPU and 3 Gb RAM) when I visit this page.
> It clearly shows the effect of loading this page (between the red
> lines on each CPU). During the time shown no other things changed on
> my PC.
> THe screenshot is here:
> http://web.telia.com/~u84302564/FireFoxLoad.png
>
> Notice the periodic 50% CPU peaks on both CPU:s!
>
> On my desktop, which sits on an 8Mbit/s ADSL connection the CPU usage
> does not cause any visible/audible effects like starting up a fan or
> so.
> But on my laptop (used when I posted this originally) with a Turbo-3G
> Internet connection at considerably slower speed it is really annoying
> when the fan starts going turbo and here I can notice my PC responses
> degrade....
>
> Unfortunately I did not make a corresponding screenshot on that single
> core HP nw8240 laptop workstation which has 2 Gb RAM.
>
> Both PC:s use XP-Pro SP3 and the latest FireFox 3.5.2

Well, we can be sure it isn't using any more RAM for whatever it is
doing since there is no change during those times.  It really looks like
something is refreshing something every few seconds, requiring
processing.  Perhaps someone who knows HTML well can tell what the page
may be doing to cause this.
OK, watching the page for a minute, I observed the following.  Usage
spikes just after the changing of the picture at the top of the page
(there may be others).  At this time, NO network access is done, so the
problem must be with how the picture data is changed, either with a
Java/Javascript implementation, or some kind of coding choice the site uses.
I can see how it might drive you nuts on a laptop with a loud fan.