Simple instructions for building and running thunderbird from cvs (Linux)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Simple instructions for building and running thunderbird from cvs (Linux)

Jeff Carr
I thought I would try my hand at adding a feature to fix something that
has bothered me about thunderbird [1]. In the process of reading from
developer.mozilla.org, I would have liked to have a dumbed down page
with simple instructions. On one of the discussion pages [2], several
people nicely helped & scolded ;) me until I ended up with these simple
instructions:

cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot \
        checkout mozilla/client.mk
make -f mozilla/client.mk checkout MOZ_CO_PROJECT=mail
./configure --enable-application=mail
make
./dist/bin/thunderbird

These instructions worked to the point that it built and I can run it.
Help:About shows "version 1.6a1 (20051227)". Things seem ok. (Side note:
I built it on Debian sid in the end as it wouldn't build on sarge.)

Curious, I tar'd up my .mozilla-thunderbird directory to be safe and ran
the cvs version to see how it would handle my current mail. It didn't
see my existing accounts -- I just got the account setup screen. I
thought I would ask if there was some trick to running the built version
directly out of the source tree or if one must install it. I'd rather
not install it and can do the development experiements with what I have
so it's not hindering things.

Party like it's 2005,
Jeff

[1] Lots of people have been frustrated that you can't make thunderbird
NOT line wrap inline text. This is a requirement for mail clients for
linux kernel developers.
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/26/32 & http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/26/47

[2]
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Talk:Mozilla_Source_Code_Directory_Structure
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-mail-news mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-mail-news
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Simple instructions for building and running thunderbird from cvs (Linux)

walt-2
Jeff Carr wrote:
> ...I
> thought I would ask if there was some trick to running the built version
> directly out of the source tree or if one must install it...

I've never had any problem with it.  I just do
# cd to-TB-source-directory
# ./obj/dist/bin/thunderbird (I compile with an obj directory)

It always recognizes my ~/.thunderbird setup with no special
steps.  Dunno why it won't recognize yours.  Maybe Debian has
arranged for a different directory name in your home directory?
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-mail-news mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-mail-news
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Simple instructions for building and running thunderbird from cvs (Linux)

Jeff Carr
On 12/30/05 12:04, walt wrote:

> Jeff Carr wrote:
>
>>...I
>>thought I would ask if there was some trick to running the built version
>>directly out of the source tree or if one must install it...
>
>
> I've never had any problem with it.  I just do
> # cd to-TB-source-directory
> # ./obj/dist/bin/thunderbird (I compile with an obj directory)

great. I'll continue on my digging in the code then.

> It always recognizes my ~/.thunderbird setup with no special
> steps.  Dunno why it won't recognize yours.  Maybe Debian has
> arranged for a different directory name in your home directory?

That's exactly it.

ln -s .mozilla-thunderbird .thunderbird

Thanks a lot,
Jeff
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-mail-news mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-mail-news
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Simple instructions for building and running thunderbird from cvs (Linux)

Magnus-6
In reply to this post by Jeff Carr
On 2005-12-30 04:58, Jeff Carr wrote:
> I thought I would try my hand at adding a feature to fix something that
> has bothered me about thunderbird [1]. In the process of reading from

>
> [1] Lots of people have been frustrated that you can't make thunderbird
> NOT line wrap inline text. This is a requirement for mail clients for
> linux kernel developers.
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/26/32 & http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/26/47


Did you file a bug about this?
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-mail-news mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-mail-news