Should all new groups be inherited by admin?

Should all new groups be inherited by admin?

Max Kanat-Alexander
        I was thinking that I would eventually standardize everywhere that a
group is added into a single add_group sub in the new Group.pm. I was
thinking that this subroutine should also automatically grant the
"admin" group membership in itself.

        However, this would be a change from how Bugzilla basically works now,
where (I think) you have to add that group to the admin group yourself.

        However, I think we ought to let admins later remove groups from the
admin group, if they want. So checksetup wouldn't automatically re-add
all the groups to the admin group.

        What do you think?

        -Max
--
http://www.everythingsolved.com/
Everything Solved: Experts at Bugzilla... and everything else, too.

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists@...>

Re: Should all new groups be inherited by admin?

Dave Miller
Max Kanat-Alexander wrote:

> I was thinking that I would eventually standardize everywhere that a
> group is added into a single add_group sub in the new Group.pm. I was
> thinking that this subroutine should also automatically grant the
> "admin" group membership in itself.
>
> However, this would be a change from how Bugzilla basically works now,
> where (I think) you have to add that group to the admin group yourself.
>
> However, I think we ought to let admins later remove groups from the
> admin group, if they want. So checksetup wouldn't automatically re-add
> all the groups to the admin group.

All "permission" groups should inherit admin.  That's the whole point of
admin. :)

Bug/role groups, on the other hand, probably shouldn't, unless
explicitly asked for.

--
Dave Miller                                   http://www.justdave.net/
System Administrator, Mozilla Foundation       http://www.mozilla.org/