Should I use the newest SM instead of an SMPmW118 plus FF ESR 10.0.2?

Should I use the newest SM instead of an SMPmW118 plus FF ESR 10.0.2?

Christer Jacobsson
As Salaam Aleikum!

My system is very memory constrained with only 640Mib RAM and previously
I ran SMPmW118 both as a mail client and a browser. But when certain
functions in a Swedish auction site (www.tradera.com) ceased to work in
SM, I switched to FF as browser but kept SM as a pure mail client. On
the Warpzilla homepage, the SM is now at 2.7.2.12/ESR and I now use the
FF 10.0.2/ESR. Would it be better for me, memory-wise to use the latest
SM both as a mail client and browser, stick to my guns continuing using
the SMPmW118 as mailer and FF 10.0.2/ESR as a browser or upgrading SM to
2.7.2.12/ESR using it as a mail client and using FF 10.0.2/ESR as
browser?

Have anyone in this ng been caught up in this sort of situation before,
i.e. a memory-strangled system and having to juggle the mailer and
browser components as I have done, i.e. using an old SM as a pure mail
client but with the newest FF as a pure browser?

Btw, if I should go all SM, have the newest SM any functionality for
sharing bookmarks, passwords, forms and the like between SM on different
OS'es, in my case WSeB, eCs20rc4 and WinXP?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 17th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
       Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: Should I use the newest SM instead of an SMPmW118 plus FF ESR 10.0.2?

Dave Yeo-3
Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
> My system is very memory constrained with only 640Mib RAM and previously
> I ran SMPmW118 both as a mail client and a browser. But when certain
> functions in a Swedish auction site (www.tradera.com) ceased to work in
> SM, I switched to FF as browser but kept SM as a pure mail client. On
> the Warpzilla homepage, the SM is now at 2.7.2.12/ESR and I now use the
> FF 10.0.2/ESR. Would it be better for me, memory-wise to use the latest
> SM both as a mail client and browser, stick to my guns continuing using
> the SMPmW118 as mailer and FF 10.0.2/ESR as a browser or upgrading SM to
> 2.7.2.12/ESR using it as a mail client and using FF 10.0.2/ESR as
> browser?

SeaMonkey by itself is going to use less memory then the combination of
FF and SMv1 and 640 MBs is fine as long as you don't open too many tabs
and windows. Plus FF10.02 had the focus bug.
Just remember that when upgrading you also need to install the
mzfntcfgft DLLs.

> Have anyone in this ng been caught up in this sort of situation before,
> i.e. a memory-strangled system and having to juggle the mailer and
> browser components as I have done, i.e. using an old SM as a pure mail
> client but with the newest FF as a pure browser?

With 768 MBs currently I use TB for mail and SM for browsing. Can't run
them both at the same time as I have quite a few tabs open in SM (low
bandwidth encourages me to leave things open)

> Btw, if I should go all SM, have the newest SM any functionality for
> sharing bookmarks, passwords, forms and the like between SM on different
> OS'es, in my case WSeB, eCs20rc4 and WinXP?

People share the same profile between Windows and OS/2 and reports are
it works fine as long as the drive letter matches. Unluckily they
changed something in the msf index files after SM 2.7 (TB 10.x) so you
need to delete them when going back to the older version (they're
rebuilt when needed).
Note also that SMv2 uses a different profile as it changed quite a bit
and should migrate your old profile on startup (possible that went away
in which case you need to first use SMv2) so you can test browsing with
SM 2.7 without touching your 1.18 profile
Dave

Re: Should I use the newest SM instead of an SMPmW118 plus FF ESR 10.0.2?

Steve Wendt
On 9/1/2013 6:02 AM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Btw, if I should go all SM, have the newest SM any functionality for
> sharing bookmarks, passwords, forms and the like between SM on different
> OS'es, in my case WSeB, eCs20rc4 and WinXP?

Besides actually sharing the profile data, there is also support for
"Weave" / Sync, which stores your data on a Mozilla server, and syncs it
to your browser.  I haven't used it personally, but presumably it works
fine on OS/2.

Re: Should I use the newest SM instead of an SMPmW118 plus FF ESR 10.0.2?

Christer Jacobsson
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 17:46:29 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 9/1/2013 6:02 AM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

As Salaam Aleikum!
> > Btw, if I should go all SM, have the newest SM any functionality for
> > sharing bookmarks, passwords, forms and the like between SM on different
> > OS'es, in my case WSeB, eCs20rc4 and WinXP?
>
> Besides actually sharing the profile data, there is also support for
> "Weave" / Sync, which stores your data on a Mozilla server, and syncs it
> to your browser.  I haven't used it personally, but presumably it works
> fine on OS/2.

What I want to do is to make profile data like passwords, bookmarks,
forms data and the like visible to SM in it's various OS'es namely my
main OS, WSeB, eCs20rc4, WinXP and in the future, Ubuntu. But this begs
the question: What filesystem do I have to use for this shared data?
Obviously HPFS and JFS are out of the question as WinXP don't recognize
those, so the only FS'es that are visible to OS/2, WinXP and Ubuntu are
FAT16 and FAT32. I suspect that FAT16 won't do because of it's
(in)famous 8.3 file name limit so I think FAT32 is the only viable
option for placing shared profile data as FAT32 is visible in OS/2,
Ubuntu and WinXP. And at what version is the FAT32 OS/2 file system now?
I have the 0.9.13 - are there any newer version avaible now? But I have
heard that the FAT32 for os/2 is somewhat flaky because you can't do a
chkdsk /f from OS/2 and check a FAT32 partition if os/2 bombs so buffers
don't get written correctly and the FAT32 partition is marked 'dirty'.
To make a FAT32 partition clean one must boot WinXP (I use Safe Mode
with command prompt for this), issuing a chkdsk r: /f (the FAT32 volume
have R: as drive letter both in OS/2 and XP) and immediately after a
'shutdown -r -t 0' command which shuts down XP, reboots and I can boot
back in WSeB and have a nice and clean FAT32 partition again.

But what in the nine purple hells of Palain [1] is a Mozilla server
anyway?

[1] A wonderful oath fron the famous SF author, E.E. 'Doc Smiths'
Lensman books.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/sync

> What filesystem do I have to use for this shared data?

Doesn't matter if you use Sync.

On 09/04/13 02:19 pm, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> As Salaam Aleikum!
>> >
>> >  Besides actually sharing the profile data, there is also support for
>> >  "Weave" / Sync, which stores your data on a Mozilla server, and syncs it
>> >  to your browser.  I haven't used it personally, but presumably it works
>> >  fine on OS/2.
>> >
> What I want to do is to make profile data like passwords, bookmarks,
> forms data and the like visible to SM in it's various OS'es namely my
> main OS, WSeB, eCs20rc4, WinXP and in the future, Ubuntu. But this begs
> the question: What filesystem do I have to use for this shared data?
> Obviously HPFS and JFS are out of the question as WinXP don't recognize
> those, so the only FS'es that are visible to OS/2, WinXP and Ubuntu are
> FAT16 and FAT32. I suspect that FAT16 won't do because of it's
> (in)famous 8.3 file name limit so I think FAT32 is the only viable
> option for placing shared profile data as FAT32 is visible in OS/2,
> Ubuntu and WinXP. And at what version is the FAT32 OS/2 file system now?
> I have the 0.9.13 - are there any newer version avaible now? But I have
> heard that the FAT32 for os/2 is somewhat flaky because you can't do a
> chkdsk /f from OS/2 and check a FAT32 partition if os/2 bombs so buffers
> don't get written correctly and the FAT32 partition is marked 'dirty'.
> To make a FAT32 partition clean one must boot WinXP (I use Safe Mode
> with command prompt for this), issuing a chkdsk r: /f (the FAT32 volume
> have R: as drive letter both in OS/2 and XP) and immediately after a
> 'shutdown -r -t 0' command which shuts down XP, reboots and I can boot
> back in WSeB and have a nice and clean FAT32 partition again.

I don't think you can share a profile with Ubuntu as the filesystem is
too different, no drive letters amongst other things. Ray has shared
profiles with Windows and OS/2 for a long time successfully using a
Fat32 partition and the same drive letters. The FAT32 driver does have
rudimentary chkdsk support though there are times you need the Win chkdsk.
As Steve says, you should checkout sync.
Dave

Re: Should I use the newest SM instead of an SMPmW118 plus FF ESR 10.0.2?

Ray Davison
Dave Yeo wrote:
> Ray has shared profiles with Windows and OS/2 for a long time
> successfully using a Fat32 partition and the same drive letters.

If there is someone for whom the implication of that drive letter
reference is not obvious; OS/2 and Win can share profiles because my
machines are set up so that both OS/2 and Win see all partitions as the
same drive letters.

And I have created FAT32 partitions using probably every tool that I
have that that will create a FAT32.  I have yet to have an issue.

I tried some sync thing a few years ago - was it called roving?  I never
got it to work.  I too need to try sync.  I currently "sync" various
desktops and laptops with a file manager.

Ray

On 9/13/2013 6:24 PM, Ray Davison wrote:

> I tried some sync thing a few years ago - was it called roving?  I never
> got it to work.  I too need to try sync.

You probably mean roaming profiles; Sync (formerly Weave) is completely
different.  Firefox never supported roaming profiles, and made their own
thing; SeaMonkey has switched to that new and presumably better feature.
  I have never used either, so I can't comment much; I do know a few
people happily using Sync.