Setup group access

Evan Chou
Hi,

I'm a new user and need to configure Bugzilla for our team.

I don't quite understand how to set the group access even I studied the user
guide for several times.
Could someone explain these terms : "NA" "Shown" "Default" and "Mandatory"
more detailedly?

If I hope to make everyone can submit a bug into this product and see all
bugs, but only the reporter,
assignee, users in CC list, and the group of this product can edit the bug
in this product, how to do the configuration?

Moreover, is it possible to set the permission to the "field" level? For
example, only certain group
can change the status to "Verified" or "Closed", or only someone can change
the "Version" field.
Is it possible for Bugzilla?

Re: Setup group access

A. Karl Kornel
In article <d8lbd6$[hidden email]>,
 "Evan Chou" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new user and need to configure Bugzilla for our team.

   Good luck!

> I don't quite understand how to set the group access even I studied the user
> guide for several times.
> Could someone explain these terms : "NA" "Shown" "Default" and "Mandatory"
> more detailedly?

   I'd suggest this:  Create a product.  Go to Edit->Products, click on
a product, and then click on "Edit Group Access Controls".  There is a
table at the bottom of the page that should explain what each
combination means.  For your reference, here's the contents of the table
(combinations not listed are invalid):

 MemberControl
 OtherControl
 Interpretation

 NA
 NA
 Requests in this category are never associated with this group.

 Shown
 NA
 Requests in this category are permitted to be restricted to this
group. Users who are a member of this group will be able to place
requests in  this group.

 Shown
 Shown
 Requests in this category can be placed in this group by anyone  with
permission to edit the request even if they are not a member  of this
group.

 Shown
 Requests in this category can be placed in this group by anyone  with
permission to edit the request even if they are not a member  of this
group. Non-members place requests in this group by default.

 Shown
 Mandatory
 Requests in this category are permitted to be restricted to this
group. Users who are a member of this group will be able to place
requests  in this group. Non-members will be forced to restrict requests
to  this group when they initially enter a request in this category.

 NA
 Requests in this category are permitted to be restricted to this  group
and are placed in this group by default. Users who are a member of this
group will be able to place requests in this group.

 Requests in this category are permitted to be restricted to this  group
and are placed in this group by default. Users who are a member of this
group  will be able to place requests in this group. Non-members will be
able to restrict requests to this group on entry and will do so by
default

 Mandatory
 Requests in this category are permitted to be restricted to this  group
and are placed in this group by default. Users who are a member of this
group  will be able to place requests in this group. Non-members will be
forced  to place requests in this group on entry.

 Mandatory
 Mandatory
 Requests in this category are required to be restricted to this  group.
Users are not given any option.

> If I hope to make everyone can submit a bug into this product and see all
> bugs, but only the reporter,
> assignee, users in CC list, and the group of this product can edit the bug
> in this product, how to do the configuration?

   Assuming you have a group 'xyz', I think setting "CANEDIT" would do
it, except I think this might mean that submitters can't post comments
(negating my comments below).

> Moreover, is it possible to set the permission to the "field" level? For
> example, only certain group
> can change the status to "Verified" or "Closed", or only someone can change
> the "Version" field.
> Is it possible for Bugzilla?

   As far as I know field-level access controls don't exist.  Anyone who
has "editbugs" group membership, or is the assignee, or is the reporter
of the bug can edit all fields.  Anybody with bug-level access can post
comments to the bug.  At least, this is 2.18.1.  2.20 might have
field-level access controls.

   Of course, now that I say that, I skim the docs and you probably can
implement you own access controls!  Take a look at
<http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/2.18/html/cust-change-permissions.html>.