Server search-time-limit timeout problem

Server search-time-limit timeout problem

Kulkarni, Rahul
Hi All,

I have the sun directory server v6.0 On Solaris 10 platform and have 50,000+ entries in the directory server. The search-time-limit (nsTimeLimit) set for the server (and not for individual account) is 6 mins.

While performing search operation using the APIs (ldap_search_ext & ldap_result), when the server is heavily loaded by other applications, the search doesn't return all the relevant/expected entries. When this happens, the server reports the err=3 (i.e. search-time-limit exceeded) error in access log. However, both the Mozilla SDK APIs used i.e. ldap_search_ext & ldap_result do not propagate this error to the client application; instead it returns success code.

Am I missing anything here? How can get the correct error code (err=3) when the search-time-limit on server side exceeds. Or is it the expected behavior of the Mozilla SDK APIs used?

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
// Rahul

Re: Server search-time-limit timeout problem

Rich Megginson
On 01/10/2011 12:30 AM, Kulkarni, Rahul wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have the sun directory server v6.0 On Solaris 10 platform and have 50,000+ entries in the directory server. The search-time-limit (nsTimeLimit) set for the server (and not for individual account) is 6 mins.
>
> While performing search operation using the APIs (ldap_search_ext&  ldap_result), when the server is heavily loaded by other applications, the search doesn't return all the relevant/expected entries. When this happens, the server reports the err=3 (i.e. search-time-limit exceeded) error in access log. However, both the Mozilla SDK APIs used i.e. ldap_search_ext&  ldap_result do not propagate this error to the client application; instead it returns success code.
>
> Am I missing anything here? How can get the correct error code (err=3) when the search-time-limit on server side exceeds. Or is it the expected behavior of the Mozilla SDK APIs used?
>
> Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> // Rahul

Does the ldapsearch command line tool return the correct error code?  If
so, take a look at the source code for that tool to see how it processes
the error code returned from the server.