Sending multiple To: addresses that appear as only one address

Sending multiple To: addresses that appear as only one address

rili-2
Is there a way to make thunderbird send multiple addresses in the To:
(or where ever) field but it only appears if each recipient only
received the email. That is, each of the recipients identity is hidden
and thus they think the email was only sent to them.

This saves you sending the same email over and over with only one
recipient in the To: field.

Re: Sending multiple To: addresses that appear as only one address

Cal Tinson
Once upon a time *Rili* wrote:
> Is there a way to make thunderbird send multiple addresses in the To:
> (or where ever) field but it only appears if each recipient only
> received the email. That is, each of the recipients identity is hidden
> and thus they think the email was only sent to them.
>
> This saves you sending the same email over and over with only one
> recipient in the To: field.

It probably the same as in any other mail program.

1. Start a new message by clicking on the Write icon or by selecting
File, New, Message.

2. In the To: box type your e-mail address (some Isp’s balk if the To:
box is blank) and press enter. This will put another “To:” box below
the address.

3. Click the down arrow to the left of the second “To:” box. This will
drop a list from which you can select “Bcc.”

4. Click on the Contacts button or click View, Contacts sidebar. This
will open your address book.

5. Click the first name you wish to Bcc: to highlight it.

6. Hold down the CTRL key and continue to click the names you want
until you have all of them highlighted. [To select the entire group,
click the first name on the list, scroll down to the end of the list.
Hold the Shift key and click the last name on the list.]

7. Right-click the group of selected names and click “Add to Bcc field.”

8. Add the subject and type the message, then send it.

--
/Arne
Now killing all top posters and posters who don't quote

Re: Sending multiple To: addresses that appear as only one address

Øystein Odden
Rili skrev:

> Is there a way to make thunderbird send multiple addresses in the To:
> (or where ever) field but it only appears if each recipient only
> received the email. That is, each of the recipients identity is hidden
> and thus they think the email was only sent to them.
>
> This saves you sending the same email over and over with only one
> recipient in the To: field.

Not that I know of. However, you can put your own address in the
To:-field and all the other addresses in the BCC-field.

Re: Sending multiple To: addresses that appear as only one address

Mike Dee
Rili <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:43607df8$0$9437$[hidden email]:

> Is there a way to make thunderbird send multiple addresses in the
> To: (or where ever) field but it only appears if each recipient
> only received the email. That is, each of the recipients identity
> is hidden and thus they think the email was only sent to them.

Click "Write" button to create a new blank "Compose" window.
In the "To:" column, click on this (small grey down-turned arrow
button) to reveal a pull-down list of choices. Choose "Bcc:" (Blind
carbon copy) from the list of choices, to change the "To:" field to
"Bcc:".
Click the "Contacts" button in the "Compose" window if the Contacts
list is not already visible in the left side of the "Compose" window.
"Control Click" (in Windows) to select names you want to Bcc to. When
finished, drag your selection to the BCC field you opened earlier. All
of your selected names then get loaded for posting. Give your email a
subject, add the body text and send.

--
dee

Re: Sending multiple To: addresses that appear as only one address

Gus Richter
Mike Dee wrote:

> Rili <[hidden email]> wrote in
> news:43607df8$0$9437$[hidden email]:
>

>>Is there a way to make thunderbird send multiple addresses in the
>>To: (or where ever) field but it only appears if each recipient
>>only received the email. That is, each of the recipients identity
>>is hidden and thus they think the email was only sent to them.
>

> Click "Write" button to create a new blank "Compose" window.
> In the "To:" column, click on this (small grey down-turned arrow
> button) to reveal a pull-down list of choices. Choose "Bcc:" (Blind
> carbon copy) from the list of choices, to change the "To:" field to
> "Bcc:".
> Click the "Contacts" button in the "Compose" window if the Contacts
> list is not already visible in the left side of the "Compose" window.
> "Control Click" (in Windows) to select names you want to Bcc to. When
> finished, drag your selection to the BCC field you opened earlier. All
> of your selected names then get loaded for posting. Give your email a
> subject, add the body text and send.

Excellent tip. Thanks.

--
Gus

Arne wrote:

> Once upon a time *Rili* wrote:
>
>>Is there a way to make thunderbird send multiple addresses in the To:
>>(or where ever) field but it only appears if each recipient only
>>received the email. That is, each of the recipients identity is hidden
>>and thus they think the email was only sent to them.
>>
>>This saves you sending the same email over and over with only one
>>recipient in the To: field.
>

> It probably the same as in any other mail program.
>
> 1. Start a new message by clicking on the Write icon or by selecting
> File, New, Message.
>
> 2. In the To: box type your e-mail address (some Isp’s balk if the To:
> box is blank) and press enter. This will put another “To:” box below
> the address.
>
> 3. Click the down arrow to the left of the second “To:” box. This will
> drop a list from which you can select “Bcc.”
>
> 4. Click on the Contacts button or click View, Contacts sidebar. This
> will open your address book.
>
> 5. Click the first name you wish to Bcc: to highlight it.
>
> 6. Hold down the CTRL key and continue to click the names you want
> until you have all of them highlighted. [To select the entire group,
> click the first name on the list, scroll down to the end of the list.
> Hold the Shift key and click the last name on the list.]
>
> 7. Right-click the group of selected names and click “Add to Bcc field.”
>
> 8. Add the subject and type the message, then send it.

Of course, that required the “Add to Bcc" button 'extension' for
Thunderbird and I'm not sure it works for the latest.

--
Gus

Re: Sending multiple To: addresses that appear as only one address

rili-2
This isn't really doing what I want to do. I know how to use the BCC
field. The problem is when you use BCC, the people that receive the
email know that you have sent it BCC to them as their name doesn't
appear in the TO field. What I want to be able to do is to send out
group emails, but make it appear to the recipient that it has only been
sent to them with their name only in the TO field.

You can get special email programs that do this apparently. However, I
don't know if it is possible to do this in one email send or whether the
programs send the email many times and just change each TO email address
and then send it.

Mike Dee wrote:

> Rili <[hidden email]> wrote in
> news:43607df8$0$9437$[hidden email]:
>
>> Is there a way to make thunderbird send multiple addresses in the
>> To: (or where ever) field but it only appears if each recipient
>> only received the email. That is, each of the recipients identity
>> is hidden and thus they think the email was only sent to them.
>
> Click "Write" button to create a new blank "Compose" window.
> In the "To:" column, click on this (small grey down-turned arrow
> button) to reveal a pull-down list of choices. Choose "Bcc:" (Blind
> carbon copy) from the list of choices, to change the "To:" field to
> "Bcc:".
> Click the "Contacts" button in the "Compose" window if the Contacts
> list is not already visible in the left side of the "Compose" window.
> "Control Click" (in Windows) to select names you want to Bcc to. When
> finished, drag your selection to the BCC field you opened earlier. All
> of your selected names then get loaded for posting. Give your email a
> subject, add the body text and send.

Re: Sending multiple To: addresses that appear as only one address

Brian Mailman
Rili wrote:

> This isn't really doing what I want to do. I know how to use the BCC
> field. The problem is when you use BCC, the people that receive the
> email know that you have sent it BCC to them as their name doesn't
> appear in the TO field. What I want to be able to do is to send out
> group emails, but make it appear to the recipient that it has only been
> sent to them with their name only in the TO field.
>
> You can get special email programs that do this apparently. However, I
> don't know if it is possible to do this in one email send or whether the
> programs send the email many times and just change each TO email address
> and then send it.

Those 'special' programs sound suspiciously like 'ratware' or what the
spammers use.  If a spam-sniffing program detects the use of such
ratware, you may find your messages not being delivered; and worse,
anything your entire address sends blocked.

Is there a particular reason you absolutely need the recipient to think
the message you're sending is 'personalized' when it isn't?

B/

Rili wrote:

> This isn't really doing what I want to do. I know how to use the BCC
> field. The problem is when you use BCC, the people that receive the
> email know that you have sent it BCC to them as their name doesn't
> appear in the TO field. What I want to be able to do is to send out
> group emails, but make it appear to the recipient that it has only been
> sent to them with their name only in the TO field.
>
> You can get special email programs that do this apparently. However, I
> don't know if it is possible to do this in one email send or whether the
> programs send the email many times and just change each TO email address
> and then send it.

[Please reply *below* the quote]

If you do *not* include a To: and have everyone on the list Bcc: then
everyone will receive:
   To: Undisclosed Recipient
and that is all. Is that what you're looking for?

--
Gus

Re: Sending multiple To: addresses that appear as only one address

rili-2
No, well only apart from wanting it to seem personalised. I don't see
that it is much different to BCC apart from having their name displayed
instead of undisclosed recipient. I guess it wasn't factored into the
original email protocol and that is the end of story.

Most of the spam I receive just has me as BCC with some unknown person
in the TO field.

Brian Mailman wrote:

> Rili wrote:
>
>> This isn't really doing what I want to do. I know how to use the BCC
>> field. The problem is when you use BCC, the people that receive the
>> email know that you have sent it BCC to them as their name doesn't
>> appear in the TO field. What I want to be able to do is to send out
>> group emails, but make it appear to the recipient that it has only
>> been sent to them with their name only in the TO field.
>>
>> You can get special email programs that do this apparently. However, I
>> don't know if it is possible to do this in one email send or whether
>> the programs send the email many times and just change each TO email
>> address and then send it.
>
> Those 'special' programs sound suspiciously like 'ratware' or what the
> spammers use.  If a spam-sniffing program detects the use of such
> ratware, you may find your messages not being delivered; and worse,
> anything your entire address sends blocked.
>
> Is there a particular reason you absolutely need the recipient to think
> the message you're sending is 'personalized' when it isn't?
>
> B/

Re: Sending multiple To: addresses that appear as only one address

Chuck Anderson
Rili wrote:

>Mike Dee wrote:
>

>>Rili <[hidden email]> wrote in
>>news:43607df8$0$9437$[hidden email]:
>>

>>>Is there a way to make thunderbird send multiple addresses in the
>>>To: (or where ever) field but it only appears if each recipient
>>>only received the email. That is, each of the recipients identity
>>>is hidden and thus they think the email was only sent to them.
>>>

>>Click "Write" button to create a new blank "Compose" window.
>>In the "To:" column, click on this (small grey down-turned arrow
>>button) to reveal a pull-down list of choices. Choose "Bcc:" (Blind
>>carbon copy) from the list of choices, to change the "To:" field to
>>"Bcc:".
>>Click the "Contacts" button in the "Compose" window if the Contacts
>>list is not already visible in the left side of the "Compose" window.
>>"Control Click" (in Windows) to select names you want to Bcc to. When
>>finished, drag your selection to the BCC field you opened earlier. All
>>of your selected names then get loaded for posting. Give your email a
>>subject, add the body text and send.
>>

>This isn't really doing what I want to do. I know how to use the BCC
>field. The problem is when you use BCC, the people that receive the
>email know that you have sent it BCC to them as their name doesn't
>appear in the TO field. What I want to be able to do is to send out
>group emails, but make it appear to the recipient that it has only been
>sent to them with their name only in the TO field.
>
>You can get special email programs that do this apparently. However, I
>don't know if it is possible to do this in one email send or whether the
>programs send the email many times and just change each TO email address
>and then send it.

The email must be sent many times to do this. I have a Php script that
sends a newsletter type email this way so that each one has a
personalized modify or "remove me" link in it. It loops through a list
of all recipients sending each one the same email, but adding a footer
with a personalized link.