Secure connection in news.mozilla.org ?

Balaco
Hello,

can I use secure connection in this Mozilla nntp server news.mozilla.org ?

Right now, I am using it at without any security and in port 119.

For a few days in this machine, I thought that I was missing the server
name, and I could not (and also still CANNOT) find a Mozilla page
explaining how to connect Mozilla NNTP support server. I tried
news.mozilla.org and support.mozilla.org, both with the same behaviour
in Thunderbird.

Searched and searched, did not find, and I gave up. After that, I was
writing a thread elsewhere to ask which were the correct settings, and
then I tested changing the second option for this account in TB:

"Safety settings" -> changed from "SSL/TLS" to "None"

And it worked! I threw away the thread idea.

Does that mean I cannot use secure connections in news.mozilla.org ?

I am using Thunderbird 45.8.0. How do I test the secure connections it
supports?

Re: Secure connection in news.mozilla.org ?

Mozilla - General mailing list
On 11/10/2017 7:38 AM, Balaco wrote:

> Hello,
>
> can I use secure connection in this Mozilla nntp server news.mozilla.org ?
>
> Right now, I am using it at without any security and in port 119.
>
> For a few days in this machine, I thought that I was missing the server
> name, and I could not (and also still CANNOT) find a Mozilla page
> explaining how to connect Mozilla NNTP support server. I tried
> news.mozilla.org and support.mozilla.org, both with the same behaviour
> in Thunderbird.
>
> Searched and searched, did not find, and I gave up. After that, I was
> writing a thread elsewhere to ask which were the correct settings, and
> then I tested changing the second option for this account in TB:
>
> "Safety settings" -> changed from "SSL/TLS" to "None"
>
> And it worked! I threw away the thread idea.
>
> Does that mean I cannot use secure connections in news.mozilla.org ?
>
> I am using Thunderbird 45.8.0. How do I test the secure connections it
> supports?

I don't think Mozilla's usenet server ever had a SSL connection. I know
the previous server for Netscape did. I am not sure if that is still active.
--
Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst the prophets was
taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He, therefore, ordered

Em 11-11-2017 19:11, Ant escreveu:

> On 11/10/2017 7:38 AM, Balaco wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> can I use secure connection in this Mozilla nntp server
>> news.mozilla.org ?
>>
>> Right now, I am using it at without any security and in port 119.
>>
>> For a few days in this machine, I thought that I was missing the
>> server name, and I could not (and also still CANNOT) find a Mozilla
>> page explaining how to connect Mozilla NNTP support server. I tried
>> news.mozilla.org and support.mozilla.org, both with the same behaviour
>> in Thunderbird.
>>
>> Searched and searched, did not find, and I gave up. After that, I was
>> writing a thread elsewhere to ask which were the correct settings, and
>> then I tested changing the second option for this account in TB:
>>
>> "Safety settings" -> changed from "SSL/TLS" to "None"
>>
>> And it worked! I threw away the thread idea.
>>
>> Does that mean I cannot use secure connections in news.mozilla.org ?
>>
>> I am using Thunderbird 45.8.0. How do I test the secure connections it
>> supports?
>
> I don't think Mozilla's usenet server ever had a SSL connection. I know
> the previous server for Netscape did. I am not sure if that is still
> active.

Since nobody else disagreed since yesterday, I assume what you said is true.

Thank you very much

Re: Secure connection in news.mozilla.org ?

PietB-2
Balaco wrote:
> can I use secure connection in this Mozilla nntp server news.mozilla.org ?

Why would you want to?

-p

Em 13-11-2017 07:36, PietB escreveu:
> Balaco wrote:
>> can I use secure connection in this Mozilla nntp server news.mozilla.org ?
>
> Why would you want to?

To make it harder or impossible to people read in plaintext everything I
read through or post in it, or other related information. Using network
"wires", I mean. So if they did not even know my name and address here,
it would be much better.

Balaco wrote:

> PietB wrote:
>> Balaco wrote:
>>> can I use secure connection in this Mozilla nntp server news.mozilla.org ?
>>
>> Why would you want to?
>
> To make it harder or impossible to people read in plaintext everything I
> read through or post in it, or other related information. Using network
> "wires", I mean. So if they did not even know my name and address here,
> it would be much better.

Whatever you read here is public stuff anyway, since newsgroups and
their contents are public (unless of course it's a private hierarchy
or paid service for which you have to login, but that's not the case
here). And whatever you post here is public too. So I still fail to
see the added value of a secure connection.
Maybe you should post in Brazilian, which for most people is a form
of encryption. :-)

-p

Re: Secure connection in news.mozilla.org ?

Christian Riechers-3
On 11/13/2017 02:01 PM, PietB wrote:
> Maybe you should post in Brazilian, which for most people is a form
> of encryption. :-)

What kind of language is Brazilian?

Re: Secure connection in news.mozilla.org ?

WaltS48-6
On 11/13/17 3:54 PM, Christian Riechers wrote:
> On 11/13/2017 02:01 PM, PietB wrote:
>> Maybe you should post in Brazilian, which for most people is a form
>> of encryption. :-)
>
> What kind of language is Brazilian?

Portuguese.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

On 11/13/2017 1:36 AM, PietB wrote:
> Balaco wrote:
>> can I use secure connection in this Mozilla nntp server news.mozilla.org ?
>
> Why would you want to?

Security.
--
"Your mom's legs are so hairy, the ants think they're in a jungle."
--unknown
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\         Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
   / /\ /\ \                Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |
     \ _ /        If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
      ( )               Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.

Re: Secure connection in news.mozilla.org ?

Burry
On 13-11-2017 21:54, Christian Riechers wrote:
> On 11/13/2017 02:01 PM, PietB wrote:
>> Maybe you should post in Brazilian, which for most people is a form
>> of encryption. :-)
>
> What kind of language is Brazilian?

spanionbraziliasn????