Search Bar Not Working...

Martin Rosenfeld-2
In Firefox 31.8.0 the search bar does not work (it lets me choose a
search engine, accepts search text and supplies suggestions for the
text, but it does not go to the search site). If I enter text instead of
a url in the location space, it searches as if it were the old search
bar. I created a new profile for FF and the old search bar works.

Using the latest FF in Windows 7, 8.1, and Linux the old search bar
function still works.

I wonder if there might be a config variable that toggles this behavior.
Has anyone looked into this and found out what triggers this "improved"
behavior of the search bar?

Martin Rosenfeld

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Dave Yeo-3
Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> In Firefox 31.8.0 the search bar does not work (it lets me choose a
> search engine, accepts search text and supplies suggestions for the
> text, but it does not go to the search site). If I enter text instead of
> a url in the location space, it searches as if it were the old search
> bar. I created a new profile for FF and the old search bar works.
>
> Using the latest FF in Windows 7, 8.1, and Linux the old search bar
> function still works.
>
> I wonder if there might be a config variable that toggles this behavior.
> Has anyone looked into this and found out what triggers this "improved"
> behavior of the search bar?

Good question. Searching quickly at the usual places I can't find any
documentation on it, which doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
As a quick test, back up your profile, move prefs.js out of the way and
copy the prefs.js from your new test profile and test.
You might screw up your profile and want to restore from your backup but
probably just need to put prefs.js back afterwards. Of course do all
file copying with the browser closed.
If the test shows a preference, you're going to have to compare the 2
prefs.js or look in about:config to find the culprit.
Dave

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Dave,

>> In Firefox 31.8.0 the search bar does not work (it lets me choose a
>> search engine, accepts search text and supplies suggestions for the
>> text, but it does not go to the search site). If I enter text instead of
>> a url in the location space, it searches as if it were the old search
>> bar. I created a new profile for FF and the old search bar works.
>>
>> Using the latest FF in Windows 7, 8.1, and Linux the old search bar
>> function still works.
>>
>> I wonder if there might be a config variable that toggles this behavior.
>> Has anyone looked into this and found out what triggers this "improved"
>> behavior of the search bar?
>>
> Good question. Searching quickly at the usual places I can't find any
> documentation on it, which doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
> As a quick test, back up your profile, move prefs.js out of the way and
> copy the prefs.js from your new test profile and test.
> You might screw up your profile and want to restore from your backup but
> probably just need to put prefs.js back afterwards. Of course do all
> file copying with the browser closed.
> If the test shows a preference, you're going to have to compare the 2
> prefs.js or look in about:config to find the culprit.

I ran FF with its old profile and the pres.js from the new profile, but
the search bar still did not work. It seems that the search bar function
is independent of the prefs.js file.

Martin

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Dave,

It was formhistory.sqlite from the original profile that broke the
search engine. I deleted it and let it reform and the search engine
seems to work right. I also put the original formhistory.sqlite that
broke search in the original profile into the new profile, and it broke
search. I will let you know if this fix does not help.

Martin

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Martin Rosenfeld-2
> It was formhistory.sqlite from the original profile that broke the
> search engine. I deleted it and let it reform and the search engine
> seems to work right. I also put the original formhistory.sqlite that
> broke search in the original profile into the new profile, and it broke
> search. I will let you know if this fix does not help.

It happened again. Search stopped working in FF. After deleting
formhistory.sqlite the search function came back.

Does this behavior interest anyone? What is formhistory.sqlite and how
can it get "farkled" so that it turns off the search function in the
search bar but not the url bar?

Martin

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Dave Yeo-3
On 02/24/16 12:52 PM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

>> It was formhistory.sqlite from the original profile that broke the
>> search engine. I deleted it and let it reform and the search engine
>> seems to work right. I also put the original formhistory.sqlite that
>> broke search in the original profile into the new profile, and it broke
>> search. I will let you know if this fix does not help.
>
> It happened again. Search stopped working in FF. After deleting
> formhistory.sqlite the search function came back.
>
> Does this behavior interest anyone? What is formhistory.sqlite and how
> can it get "farkled" so that it turns off the search function in the
> search bar but not the url bar?

I've been wondering if something is broken in sqlite3 as
places.sqlite-wal doesn't seem to get deleted when the browser (SM) is
shutdown and this morning I lost all history due to places.sqlite-wal.
Had to delete it and restore places.sqlite from backup.
I don't know if this is related to your problem but perhaps.
You can look in formhistory.sqlite, using a sqlite viewer. I believe
there is one on Hobbes. It's a QT app so might also be on Netlabs. It
might tell you how the sqlite3 file is getting corrupted.
If a few more people have the same issue with FF38, then it might be
worth opening an issue.
Dave

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Ian Manners-4
I'm still trying to get past the 'cant load xul.dll', I'm not a yum user so I installed all the files mentioned in the readme :(

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Doug Bissett-2
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 12:31:43 UTC, Ian Manners <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm still trying to get past the 'cant load xul.dll', I'm not a yum user so I installed all the files mentioned in the readme :(

The Readme is missing a bunch of things. Use PMDLL to find out what,
and install them. Even then, you will probably still have problems
because it seems that the latest FF has some hard coded paths for
things like FONT management (and possibly other things), that depend
on the RPM/YUM setup.

If you get Arca Noae Package Manager (free), and install it, it will
also install RPM/YUM (be sure to READ the instructions), and it will
operate YUM for you. It is a terrible way to do things, but it is the
only way, unless you want to spend hours messing around, trying to
figure out why you get these stupid errors, and tracking down the
required DLLs (and other things, if you can find them), to make it
work.

--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Dave Yeo-3
Doug Bissett wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 12:31:43 UTC, Ian Manners<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> >I'm still trying to get past the 'cant load xul.dll', I'm not a yum user so I installed all the files mentioned in the readme:(
> The Readme is missing a bunch of things. Use PMDLL to find out what,
> and install them. Even then, you will probably still have problems
> because it seems that the latest FF has some hard coded paths for
> things like FONT management (and possibly other things), that depend
> on the RPM/YUM setup.

You can work around the hardcoded paths by setting %FONTCONFIG_FILE% to
point to fonts.conf (tested and it works) or using %FONTCONFIG_PATH% to
point at the default configuration directory (not tested yet) and
editing fonts.conf to change the defaults. Note that OS2FONTDIR is
actually the ini files. Also use *nix type directory separators, /
Lots of hard to read info at
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html
Dave
Dave

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Dave Yeo-3
Ian Manners wrote:
> I'm still trying to get past the 'cant load xul.dll', I'm not a yum user so I installed all the files mentioned in the readme

Yes, I built this before Bitwise updated the README, which I understand
is still missing some DLLs. As Doug said, PMDLL is your friend, point it
at xul.dll.
Here's a list
libc066
stdcpp6
gcc473 (forwarder to gcc1)
gcc1
mmap
libc065 (forwarder to libc066)
freetyp6
png1616
fntcfgcnf1
pthr01
expat7
kai0
glib2
urpo
intl8
gobj2
gthr2

and for Firefox and the next SeaMonkey,

pixman10
cairo2
pango100
gmod2

Dave
ps note that Fontconfig needs to find its configuration and its
utilities. There's code to find it in the directory that the DLL is
installed to, which seems broken on OS/2 (looks at DLL init), and
ENVIRONMENT variables, see sibling post

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Steve Wendt
On 2/26/2016 11:13 AM, Dave Yeo wrote:

> You can work around the hardcoded paths by setting %FONTCONFIG_FILE% to
> point to fonts.conf (tested and it works) or using %FONTCONFIG_PATH% to
> point at the default configuration directory (not tested yet) and
> editing fonts.conf to change the defaults.

Thanks for the hints, Dave.  I hope to work on a new DLL support package
this weekend.

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Ian Manners-4
Thanks everyone,

I already tried PMDLL to install INTL8.DLL from gettext-0.19.6.zip which is required but it took me a while of slowly checking other DLL's and checking for
more up to date versions, the answer was ICONV2.DLL which needed
to be updated from libiconv-1.14.zip.

Latest Firefox is up and running thanks.

Thanks Dave for the font info, I suspect that saved me some time :)

Cheers

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Dave Yeo-3
Ian Manners wrote:
> Thanks everyone,
>
> I already tried PMDLL to install INTL8.DLL from gettext-0.19.6.zip which is required but it took me a while of slowly checking other DLL's and checking for
> more up to date versions, the answer was ICONV2.DLL which needed
> to be updated from libiconv-1.14.zip.

Interesting that it didn't show up here as needed though it make sense
as iconv usually goes with libintl.

> Latest Firefox is up and running thanks.
>
> Thanks Dave for the font info, I suspect that saved me some time :)

Note that there is an updated Cairo in the pipeline which fixes some
compositor issues.
Dave

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Ian Manners-4
Back on topic :)

search bar works fine here, I got rid of the extra rubbish in the drop down by clicking on 'Change Search Settings' so it looks like the old style.

No I just need to find if I can turn off this irritating grey background as I type in these reply box's..

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Dave Yeo-3
On 02/27/16 09:29 PM, Ian Manners wrote:
> No I just need to find if I can turn off this irritating grey background as I type in these reply box's..

Maybe with a theme? Note that there is an issue open about the classic
theme restorer not working.
Always the option of using SeaMonkey as well
Dave

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Steve Wendt
On 02/26/16 11:22 am, Dave Yeo wrote:

> intl8
> gthr2

Is it strange that I don't need these two to run your SeaMonkey build?

> ps note that Fontconfig needs to find its configuration and its utilities.

Your hint on %FONTCONFIG_FILE% works nicely for the configuration file;
is the fact that the fonts look horrible due to the utilities not being
found?  Will have to experiment with that.

Also, it seems to have forgotten all of my passwords for everything.
Will have to see if I they still work in the older version... :-/

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Ian Manners-4
> Also, it seems to have forgotten all of my passwords for everything.
> Will have to see if I they still work in the older version... :-/

I went to remove a username/website/password after fixing a user problem on os2world and the list in Firefox38 is blank, even trying to search on anything gives me nothing - but - they still work so they are still there and are picked up as I start typing the username in the login box.

I'll see later if that is still true with a new profile

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Steve Wendt
On 02/27/16 10:49 pm, Ian Manners wrote:

>> Will have to see if I they still work in the older version... :-/

Still working fine in 2.28.

> they are still there and are picked up

I noticed it for mail and news servers, as it was prompting me for
authentication info that I had saved.

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Dave Yeo-3
Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 02/26/16 11:22 am, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> intl8
>> gthr2
>
> Is it strange that I don't need these two to run your SeaMonkey build?

No. I built this SeaMonkey before Bitwise released Firefox along with
the RPM builds of Cairo and Pango. When I built the dependencies,
libtool decided to only create static libs and I didn't worry about it.
So a bunch of stuff is statically linked in.
I also used the internal Cairo as we have been since FFv4 rather then
the new external one (still needed by Pango) and built just before
Bitwise disabled printing, so printing should work as well as ever.
I'm actually now using a newer build that is aligned with FF38.6 that
has the same dependencies as the Bitwise build.

>> ps note that Fontconfig needs to find its configuration and its
>> utilities.
>
> Your hint on %FONTCONFIG_FILE% works nicely for the configuration file;
> is the fact that the fonts look horrible due to the utilities not being
> found?  Will have to experiment with that.

My fonts looked horrible at first. I even built some experimental builds
to see if others had the problems. I did a few updates which seemed to
help and now I'm used to the new look.
Running things like
fc-match.exe sans
fc-match.exe warpsans
etc
might tell you something.
Not sure if utilities are needed but they are handy and if add fonts,
fc-cache.exe should be run.

> Also, it seems to have forgotten all of my passwords for everything.
> Will have to see if I they still work in the older version... :-/

Passwords still show up in about:data and when needed here.
Dave

Re: Search Bar Not Working...

Dave Yeo-3
Ian Manners wrote:
>> Also, it seems to have forgotten all of my passwords for everything.
>> >Will have to see if I they still work in the older version... :-/
> I went to remove a username/website/password after fixing a user problem on os2world and the list in Firefox38 is blank, even trying to search on anything gives me nothing - but - they still work so they are still there and are picked up as I start typing the username in the login box.
>
> I'll see later if that is still true with a new profile

There's an issue open for that as everyone has the same problem on FF
(and TB38ESR here), SM is fine.
https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/157
Dave