SeaMonkey versioning

Lewis Rosenthal
Could some kind soul please explain to me where we are with versioning
for SeaMonkey?

Official OS/2 nightlies identify themselves as 1.1a, while the download
filename includes 1.0a. In addition, the contrib/latest-mozilla1.8
directory has builds (non-OS/2) labeled 1.0b, and nightly/latest-trunk
has builds (again, non-OS/2, as we're considered "contributed" these
days) identified as seamonkey-1.5a.

What gives?

Signed,

Curious in New York

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE

Re: SeaMonkey versioning

Lewis Rosenthal
On 11/06/2005 09:57 pm, Lewis Rosenthal thus wrote :
> Could some kind soul please explain to me where we are with versioning
> for SeaMonkey?
>
> Official OS/2 nightlies identify themselves as 1.1a, while the download
> filename includes 1.0a.

Quick follow-up: Oops! I stand corrected. the filename does indeed say
1.1a, while the unofficial builds are identified as 1.0a.

Still Curious in New York, though...

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com

Re: SeaMonkey versioning

Steve Wendt
Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> Official OS/2 nightlies identify themselves as 1.1a,

This is from the trunk (Mozilla 1.9).

> In addition, the contrib/latest-mozilla1.8
> directory has builds (non-OS/2) labeled 1.0b,

Seamonkey 1.0.x will come from the 1.8 branch, just like Firefox 1.5.x.

> nightly/latest-trunk has builds identified as seamonkey-1.5a.

No idea what that is - maybe they are planning to skip from 1.0 to 1.5,
like they did with Firefox?

Re: SeaMonkey versioning

Lewis Rosenthal
On 11/06/2005 10:19 pm, Steve Wendt thus wrote :

> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>
>> Official OS/2 nightlies identify themselves as 1.1a,
>
> This is from the trunk (Mozilla 1.9).
>
>> In addition, the contrib/latest-mozilla1.8 directory has builds
>> (non-OS/2) labeled 1.0b,
>
> Seamonkey 1.0.x will come from the 1.8 branch, just like Firefox 1.5.x.

Thanks, buddy. Is there a page somewhere which diffs the 1.8 against
1.9? I'm curious. Also, as the Suite is officially in maintenance mode
(not SM, but the Mozilla Suite), I'm still confused as to the use for
the 1.8 builds vs 1.9.

>> nightly/latest-trunk has builds identified as seamonkey-1.5a.
>
> No idea what that is - maybe they are planning to skip from 1.0 to 1.5,
> like they did with Firefox?

I see we now have a 1.5a official build. I think my head is beginning to
spin... ;-)

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com

Re: SeaMonkey versioning

Peter Weilbacher
Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> Also, as the Suite is officially in maintenance mode
> (not SM, but the Mozilla Suite), I'm still confused as to the use for
> the 1.8 builds vs 1.9.

The Mozilla Suite in maintenance mode is version 1.7.x and has nothing
to do with 1.8 or 1.9.

Note that by now the version numbers 1.8 and 1.9 refer to the Mozilla
_platform_ and not the products any more (there, I think, it is not even
clear which version numbers the products coming from the 1.9 code will
have). And the platform number is not something that users should care
about.

As for platform versions 1.8 over 1.9: If you see yourself as an
end-user then don't bother with products built from the 1.9 code (the
nightly builds). If you want to do bleeding edge testing and are happy
with occasional creashes, searching in Bugzilla, and reporting new bugs
and regressions, do try the nightlies. But as currently most work on the
trunk seems to be going on in the backend, you will hardly see any new
features.

If you want to know even more about version numbers, then you are
definitely not an end-user and you should do more searching and reading
(Mozilla Wiki etc.) on your own.
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup

Re: SeaMonkey versioning

Lewis Rosenthal
On 11/10/2005 01:34 pm, Peter Weilbacher thus wrote :

<snip>

> If you want to know even more about version numbers, then you are
> definitely not an end-user and you should do more searching and reading
> (Mozilla Wiki etc.) on your own.

;-) Thanks, Peter. Yes, these days, I'm definitely more involved with
testing the latest nightlies (I wasn't for some time, but I'm now hooked
once again). One of these days, I'll probably start building, too. Is
there a decent page in the wiki (do you think) which details the version
numbers and how in heck we got where we are from whence we began?

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:06:18 UTC, Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> ;-) Thanks, Peter. Yes, these days, I'm definitely more involved with
> testing the latest nightlies (I wasn't for some time, but I'm now hooked
> once again). One of these days, I'll probably start building, too. Is
> there a decent page in the wiki (do you think) which details the version
> numbers and how in heck we got where we are from whence we began?

There is no single page, that's why you have to do most of the searching
and reading yourself, wiki.mozilla.org is a good starting point (it
contains a "Roadmap scratchpad", pages about Firefox 2.0 and further
planning etc.).
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup
    Unofficial Mozilla builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

Re: SeaMonkey versioning

Percival P. Cassidy
On 11/10/05 06:11 pm Peter Weilbacher tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

>>;-) Thanks, Peter. Yes, these days, I'm definitely more involved with
>>testing the latest nightlies (I wasn't for some time, but I'm now hooked
>>once again). One of these days, I'll probably start building, too. Is
>>there a decent page in the wiki (do you think) which details the version
>>numbers and how in heck we got where we are from whence we began?

> There is no single page, that's why you have to do most of the searching
> and reading yourself, wiki.mozilla.org is a good starting point (it
> contains a "Roadmap scratchpad", pages about Firefox 2.0 and further
> planning etc.).

Where does SM1.5a fit into all this? The SeaMonkey info at
wiki.mozilla.org doesn't even mention a 1.1 version, only 1.0.

Perce

Re: SeaMonkey versioning

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
<snip>>
> Where does SM1.5a fit into all this? The SeaMonkey info at
> wiki.mozilla.org doesn't even mention a 1.1 version, only 1.0.

They went from version 1.0 to version 1.5 in Seamonkey, just like they
did with Firefox.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Re: SeaMonkey versioning

Lewis Rosenthal
On 11/10/2005 09:16 pm, Percival P. Cassidy thus wrote :

<snip>

> Where does SM1.5a fit into all this? The SeaMonkey info at
> wiki.mozilla.org doesn't even mention a 1.1 version, only 1.0.

Perce, I have a hunch (and mind you, it's just that) that the 1.5a is
somehow supposed to align the current SM build level with FF 1.5a and TB
1.5a. Another annoyance, if you ask me. Novell started screwing around
with build ID's for DS.NLM (Directory Services) on NetWare a couple
years ago, and made an absolute mess of things for those of us in the
field, who needed to know what upgraded what.

It's also more than a bit perturbing that Help | Release notes takes one
to a broken link (there is no 1.5a release note). There is indeed a 1.1a
release note, which is quite helpful: it points one to the wiki project
page, which in turn, makes reference - as you've pointed out - to SM
1.0. <sigh> It would be great to just know what's been fixed in which
official release, what's new, and what is experimental. (Sorry to sound
like I'm complaining; I realize everything in the Mozilla world is a
volunteer effort, and if this is that aggravating to me, then d-mn it, I
should step up to the plate and draft the doc myself... Unfortunately, I
don't have the necessary input to even begin such a task. So, it brings
me back around to Peter's original suggestion of contacting the
SeaMonkey Council, which I probably will do.)

Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> It's also more than a bit perturbing that Help | Release notes takes one
> to a broken link (there is no 1.5a release note). There is indeed a 1.1a
> release note, which is quite helpful: it points one to the wiki project
> page, which in turn, makes reference - as you've pointed out - to SM
> 1.0. <sigh>

As you are not using a _release_ but a _nightly_ _build_ how could there
be _release_ notes for it? They do not write themselves every night. ;-)

On 11/11/2005 04:26 am, Peter Weilbacher thus wrote :

> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>
>> It's also more than a bit perturbing that Help | Release notes takes one
>> to a broken link (there is no 1.5a release note). There is indeed a 1.1a
>> release note, which is quite helpful: it points one to the wiki project
>> page, which in turn, makes reference - as you've pointed out - to SM
>> 1.0. <sigh>
>
> As you are not using a _release_ but a _nightly_ _build_ how could there
> be _release_ notes for it? They do not write themselves every night. ;-)

Peter, I understand what you're saying, however, the Help | Release
Notes link should at least point to an existing page, nightly build or
not. IOW, if the version numbering will be 1.5a, then I should at least
get a page describing the major differences between 1.5a and, say, 1.1a,
even if it is just a text page of diffs in the code. I should *not* get
a 404.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:40:21 UTC, Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> IOW, if the version numbering will be 1.5a, then I should at least
> get a page describing the major differences between 1.5a and, say, 1.1a,
> even if it is just a text page of diffs in the code.

Somebody would still have to create it and everybody is just more
concerned with getting actual bugs fixed or redesigning parts of the
code... And, after all, that's what bonsai.mozilla.org is for. ;-)

> I should *not* get a 404.

Try and file a bug about it.
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup
    Unofficial Mozilla builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

Re: SeaMonkey versioning

Ray Davison
William L. Hartzell wrote:

> Sir:
>
> Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> <snip>>
>
>> Where does SM1.5a fit into all this? The SeaMonkey info at
>> wiki.mozilla.org doesn't even mention a 1.1 version, only 1.0.
>>

> They went from version 1.0 to version 1.5 in Seamonkey, just like they
> did with Firefox.

Then what is this thing that calls itself 1.1a?
Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20051011
SeaMonkey/1.1a

Is there a tree somewhere that shows what grew from what?  Once upon a
time there was something called Mozilla.  Then some started calling it
the Mozilla suite because the browser and email split off and took on
their own identity.  Are all the suites there ever were to now be
called SM, or just those after the numbering started over at 1.0?

Ray

Re: SeaMonkey versioning

Steve Wendt
Ray Davison wrote:

>> They went from version 1.0 to version 1.5 in Seamonkey, just like they
>> did with Firefox.
>
> Then what is this thing that calls itself 1.1a?
> Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20051011
> SeaMonkey/1.1a

I guess the decision to jump to version 1.5 was a recent one.

> Is there a tree somewhere that shows what grew from what?

If there is, it's probably not current...

> Are all the suites there ever were to now be called
> SM, or just those after the numbering started over at 1.0?

Well, the code name has always been Seamonkey.  However, the product
name is only applicable to those built on the Mozilla 1.8 code base and
later; "Mozilla Suite" is applicable to the earlier versions.

Re: SeaMonkey versioning

Lewis Rosenthal
On 11/15/2005 04:14 pm, Steve Wendt thus wrote :

> Ray Davison wrote:
>
>>> They went from version 1.0 to version 1.5 in Seamonkey, just like
>>> they did with Firefox.
>>
>> Then what is this thing that calls itself 1.1a?
>> Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20051011
>> SeaMonkey/1.1a
>
> I guess the decision to jump to version 1.5 was a recent one.
>
>> Is there a tree somewhere that shows what grew from what?
>
> If there is, it's probably not current...

There's an interesting thread on this in n.p.m.seamonkey; look for
"SeaMonkey progress?" dated 11/16/2005. There's also some interesting
news up on http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/seamonkey/ .

Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> There's an interesting thread on this in n.p.m.seamonkey; look for
> "SeaMonkey progress?" dated 11/16/2005. There's also some interesting
> news up on http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/seamonkey/ .

Thanks!  It looks like there will be both a Seamonkey 1.1 (still using
Mozilla 1.8) and 1.5 (using Mozilla 1.9).

Re: SeaMonkey versioning

Lewis Rosenthal
On 11/21/2005 02:16 pm, Steve Wendt thus wrote :
> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>
>> There's an interesting thread on this in n.p.m.seamonkey; look for
>> "SeaMonkey progress?" dated 11/16/2005. There's also some interesting
>> news up on http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/seamonkey/ .
>
> Thanks!  It looks like there will be both a Seamonkey 1.1 (still using
> Mozilla 1.8) and 1.5 (using Mozilla 1.9).

No problem, my friend. I like to "share the wealth" when I can! There's
also a very interesting read over on Brendan's Roadmap Updates at
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roadmap/archives/008240.html which goes
into when the full transition is expected from Gfx to Cairo, etc. (this
particular blog dates back to May 31, but it is still significant in its
scope.