SeaMonkey newsgroups created!

Robert Kaiser
Hi,

For everybody who's here because (s)he thinks this newsgroup is about
the SeaMonkey project, I want to remind you that it's actually not. This
group is about mozilla.org project planning, and will be moved to a
better fitting name soon when the n.p.m.* hierarchy will be obsoleted.

Meanwhile, the SeaMonkey project got its own, new groups now, available
through news.mozilla.org and (hopefully) groups.google.com (for the
reasons not to be spread across USENET at the moment, read
<http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html>).

Our new groups are:
<news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.seamonkey> - for SeaMonkey user
support
<news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.dev.apps.seamonkey> - for SeaMonkey
development discussions

The groups are also mirrored to mailing lists, you can subscribe to
those lists via the following web pages:

Please post SeaMonkey questions to those groups/lists from now on.

Thanks to the Mozilla Foundation for making those new groups/lists
available to our project.

Greetings,

Robert Kaiser
SeaMonkey Council member

Re: SeaMonkey newsgroups created!

ovvldc
For everyone who is curious where to go next, see
http://www.mozilla.org/community/newsgroups.txt for a full listing of
the new mozilla newsgroups.

FYI, at the time of writing I couldn't find them on Google or the
Giganews website, but I suppose this will be updated as things settle
down and administrative procedures are completed.

Re: SeaMonkey newsgroups created!

Chris Ilias
_ovvldc@gmail.com_ spoke thusly on 11/01/2006 3:18 PM:
> For everyone who is curious where to go next, see
> http://www.mozilla.org/community/newsgroups.txt for a full listing of
> the new mozilla newsgroups.
>
> FYI, at the time of writing I couldn't find them on Google or the
> Giganews website, but I suppose this will be updated as things settle
> down and administrative procedures are completed.

Not all the groups have been created yet. Subscriber lists for the old
mailing lists are trying to be preserved. Because there are no groups
for the SeaMonkey project in the netscape.public.mozilla* hierarchy,
there was no list to preserve, and thus no need for the creation of
SeaMonkey groups to wait.

As for Google, I don't know what is going on there. :-(
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Links <http://ilias.ca>

Re: SeaMonkey newsgroups created!

ovvldc
Still no new groups when I type them in the search box on the giganews
website...

Does anyone have a direct link to the new groups?

[hidden email] schrieb:
> Does anyone have a direct link to the new groups?

The links are in the first post of this thread. You might not get the
groups on any other GN server than news.mozilla.org itself.

Robert Kaiser

_ovvldc@gmail.com_ spoke thusly on 15/01/2006 12:02 PM:
> Still no new groups when I type them in the search box on the giganews
> website...
>
> Does anyone have a direct link to the new groups?

You're not going to find the groups on the giganews website. They're
only at news.mozilla.org (and eventually Google Groups). You need to set
up your newsreader to access news.mozilla.org.
For instructions on SeaMonkey, see:
http://ilias.ca/moznewsgroups-sm.html
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Links <http://ilias.ca>
Mozilla Help <http://mozillahelp.com>

Re: SeaMonkey newsgroups created!

John A.-2
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:39:41 -0500, Chris Ilias <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>_ovvldc@gmail.com_ spoke thusly on 15/01/2006 12:02 PM:
>> Still no new groups when I type them in the search box on the giganews
>> website...
>>
>> Does anyone have a direct link to the new groups?
>
>You're not going to find the groups on the giganews website. They're
>only at news.mozilla.org (and eventually Google Groups). You need to set
>up your newsreader to access news.mozilla.org.
>For instructions on SeaMonkey, see:
>http://ilias.ca/moznewsgroups-sm.html

Are they going to be on giganews? I've been hearing so much noise
about that happening, and a few mozilla... groups did show up on
Adelphia's Giganews server a little while back.

Re: SeaMonkey newsgroups created!

Chris Ilias
_John A._ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 5:09 PM:
> Are they going to be on giganews? I've been hearing so much noise
> about that happening, and a few mozilla... groups did show up on
> Adelphia's Giganews server a little while back.

http://groups.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey/msg/484db1ebbaad3c3c

It's also covered here:
http://ilias.ca/newsserverinfo.html
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Links <http://ilias.ca>
Mozilla Help <http://mozillahelp.com>

Re: SeaMonkey newsgroups created!

John A.-2
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:42:31 -0500, Chris Ilias <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>_John A._ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 5:09 PM:
>> Are they going to be on giganews? I've been hearing so much noise
>> about that happening, and a few mozilla... groups did show up on
>> Adelphia's Giganews server a little while back.
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey/msg/484db1ebbaad3c3c

Yeah, I saw that. I took it to be an "oops! not quite all working
yet!" post.

>It's also covered here:
>http://ilias.ca/newsserverinfo.html

Well why do I see the groups listed, then? What a crock.

Re: SeaMonkey newsgroups created!

Chris Ilias
_John A._ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 5:59 PM:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:42:31 -0500, Chris Ilias <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey/msg/484db1ebbaad3c3c
>
> Well why do I see the groups listed, then? What a crock.

LOL. I'm not sure of the technicalities. The groups are there, but not
accessible. For instance, search for groups in the giganews.* hierarchy
(giganews.general, giganews.newsgroups, etc.). They should appear in the
list, but you will get the same error message, when trying to access
them. Yet, paying Giganews customers can access them (but not the
adelphia.* groups).