SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Steve Wendt
On 6/8/2017 7:53 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

> Interestingly, a debug build correctly displays the "Connection to
> server news.ecomstation.com timed out" message.

Lack of reproduction in debug mode always makes things interesting.  :-/

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Andreas Schnellbacher-2
On 06.06.17 08:00, Steve Wendt wrote:

> It's not you, 45esr builds are still kind of crappy:
> https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/208
>
> I suspect bitwise will put out a 45.9 release once they figure that one out.

I doubt that, because the bug #208 was assigned to the 'Firefox GA' milestone
<https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/milestone/3> and not to
'Firefox Beta 9' <https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/milestone/18>.

It looks as if I have to stay at the older SeaMonkey 2.35 for a longer time.

--
Andreas Schnellbacher

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Dave Yeo-3
Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 6/8/2017 7:53 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> Interestingly, a debug build correctly displays the "Connection to
>> server news.ecomstation.com timed out" message.
>
> Lack of reproduction in debug mode always makes things interesting.  :-/

Seems it's actually a packaging error. Works when I run SeaMonkey from
dist/bin or, and I just tried something I've never tried before, make
install. Running \usr\local\lib\seamonkey-2.42\seamonkey.exe, it also
works. Should be able to compare the logs from make install and make
package to find the packaging error.
make install should also install to \usr\local\lib\seamonkey2.42.9. I
guess this is one way to make a RPM, use @UNIXROOT/usr as the prefix and
have a script in @UNIXROOT/usr/bin to launch SeaMonkey. Have to see what
Bitwise's plan is.
Dave
Dave

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

baden.kudrenecky
On Sunday, 4 June 2017 02:34:40 UTC-5, Dave Yeo  wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
> > I've rebuilt SeaMonkey, now 2.42.9. Frank-Rainer Grahl supplied a bunch
> > of backported patches from upstream to bring 2.42 up to release
> > standards. Some icons fixed thanks to Andreas Kohl. I fixed the merge, a
> > couple of files didn't originally merge correctly. The Mozilla tree is
> > now slightly ahead of Firefox 45.5, now at the 45.9 level with H264, AAC
> > and now MP3 playback working (volume still broken). Seamonky.exe is also
> > patched to not need LIBPATHSTRICT or RUN! anymore.
> > https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/seamonkey-2.42.9esr.en-US.os2.zip.
> >
> > Same requirements as previously, the latest FFmpeg 3.3.1 (Hobbes
> > incoming currently) should also work for H264, AAC and MP3.
> > Dave
>
> Seems I got ahead of myself. This is the correct libcx,
> https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/libcx0.dll
> Can backup and replace the one in @UNIXROOT\usr\lib or where ever you
> have it. The Yum/RPM repository will catch up.
> Dave

Hi Dave:

Thanks for all your efforts!

I have been running 2.14 for awhile, but it is starting to have more issues with the constant stream of useless new WWW features.  I recently did find one beautiful new fix, and that was to change the "useragent" to a Windows 10 Mozilla.  Previously unacceptable or unusable pages magically functioned, and even a new Fireshot for Firefox Windows would install (but not work on 2.14, just 2.42)

After many unsuccessful attempts at installing previous SeaMonkey versions, I gave a good go at 2.42.9.  I found the fonts were the initial crash error, so I spent a considerable amount of time researching and experimenting before I found the crux was the path is hard coded to be \\unixroot\* (etc/usr/var) in the SeaMonkey drive.  This is not well documented, and the fora have much confusion regarding this.  I also installed the other new requisite libraries from Steve in the same path, or in the SeaMonkey root.

I finally got SeaMonkey up and running, and functional for many pages much better than 2.14.  However there were still some serious issues:

A) There was a insta-crash accessing the "Download" menu.

B) There was a insta-crash on the OpenSteetMap edit page the instant the mouse was moved.

C) There was a insta-crash accessing video.

D) The stability is still not prime time.

I also would like to change the default browser and display fonts to bigger sans-serif, but was unsuccessful.

FYI, I have a franken system (ECS 2.1) with Panorama.  I hope to soon install AN 5.0 to seek improvements.

thanks,
Baden

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Steve Wendt
On 06/14/2017 08:22 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> hard coded to be \\unixroot\* (etc/usr/var) in the SeaMonkey drive.  > This is not well documented, and the fora have much confusion

If you have a suggestion for how best to describe this in the
mozsupport.txt file, I'm open to it.  The simple answer is to unzip it
to the root of the drive that has SeaMonkey, but it's not hard-coded to
that if you have %UNIXROOT% etc. configured.

> I finally got SeaMonkey up and running, and functional for many pages
> much better than 2.14.  However there were still some serious issues

If the current 45esr build gives you too much grief, the 38esr build
(2.35) is likely to be better for you than going back to 2.14,
especially now that you have all the extra DLLs.

> A) There was a insta-crash accessing the "Download" menu.

Try removing downloads.(rdf|sqlite) from your profile, and see if that
helps.

> B) There was a insta-crash on the OpenSteetMap edit page the instant
> the mouse was moved.

Did you get a *.trp crash log?

> C) There was a insta-crash accessing video.

What kind of video?

> D) The stability is still not prime time.

Nope.

> I also would like to change the default browser and display fonts to
> bigger sans-serif, but was unsuccessful.

Using the preferences UI, or userChrome.css?  You may want to describe
in more detail what you are trying.

> FYI, I have a franken system (ECS 2.1) with Panorama.  I hope to soon
> install AN 5.0 to seek improvements.

Other than having some RPM packages installed and Yum repositories
pre-configured for you, it shouldn't be much different for this use
case.  It does come with SeaMonkey 2.35 as an installation option, though!

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Dave Yeo-3
[hidden email] wrote:

> On Sunday, 4 June 2017 02:34:40 UTC-5, Dave Yeo  wrote:
>> Dave Yeo wrote:
>>> I've rebuilt SeaMonkey, now 2.42.9. Frank-Rainer Grahl supplied a bunch
>>> of backported patches from upstream to bring 2.42 up to release
>>> standards. Some icons fixed thanks to Andreas Kohl. I fixed the merge, a
>>> couple of files didn't originally merge correctly. The Mozilla tree is
>>> now slightly ahead of Firefox 45.5, now at the 45.9 level with H264, AAC
>>> and now MP3 playback working (volume still broken). Seamonky.exe is also
>>> patched to not need LIBPATHSTRICT or RUN! anymore.
>>> https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/seamonkey-2.42.9esr.en-US.os2.zip.
>>>
>>> Same requirements as previously, the latest FFmpeg 3.3.1 (Hobbes
>>> incoming currently) should also work for H264, AAC and MP3.
>>> Dave
>>
>> Seems I got ahead of myself. This is the correct libcx,
>> https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/libcx0.dll
>> Can backup and replace the one in @UNIXROOT\usr\lib or where ever you
>> have it. The Yum/RPM repository will catch up.
>> Dave
>
> Hi Dave:
>
> Thanks for all your efforts!
>
> I have been running 2.14 for awhile, but it is starting to have more issues with the constant stream of useless new WWW features.  I recently did find one beautiful new fix, and that was to change the "useragent" to a Windows 10 Mozilla.  Previously unacceptable or unusable pages magically functioned, and even a new Fireshot for Firefox Windows would install (but not work on 2.14, just 2.42)
>
> After many unsuccessful attempts at installing previous SeaMonkey versions, I gave a good go at 2.42.9.  I found the fonts were the initial crash error, so I spent a considerable amount of time researching and experimenting before I found the crux was the path is hard coded to be \\unixroot\* (etc/usr/var) in the SeaMonkey drive.  This is not well documented, and the fora have much confusion regarding this.  I also installed the other new requisite libraries from Steve in the same path, or in the SeaMonkey root.
>
> I finally got SeaMonkey up and running, and functional for many pages much better than 2.14.  However there were still some serious issues:
>
> A) There was a insta-crash accessing the "Download" menu.

Haven't heard of that happening in a couple of versions.If Steve's idea
doesn't work and it keeps crashing, disable the downloads manager in
Preferences-->Browser-->Downloads

> B) There was a insta-crash on the OpenSteetMap edit page the instant the mouse was moved.

This may have been caused by a typo in the mouse code that Bitwise just
fixed

> C) There was a insta-crash accessing video.

Need more info.

> D) The stability is still not prime time.

No, it and the Firefox code it uses are still beta quality.

> I also would like to change the default browser and display fonts to bigger sans-serif, but was unsuccessful.
>
> FYI, I have a franken system (ECS 2.1) with Panorama.  I hope to soon install AN 5.0 to seek improvements.

So do I, as well as ArcaOS.
Dave

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

baden.kudrenecky
On Thursday, 15 June 2017 00:18:16 UTC-5, Steve Wendt  wrote:

> > hard coded to be \\unixroot\* (etc/usr/var) in the SeaMonkey drive.  > This is not well documented, and the fora have much confusion
>
> If you have a suggestion for how best to describe this in the
> mozsupport.txt file, I'm open to it.  The simple answer is to unzip it

Thanks Steve for your commendable efforts to make
this installation easier and possible.  The problem
from my perspective, is that there are many actual and
potential complexities which easily confuse and trip an
inexperienced user.  With multiple versions released
with many configuration, library and installation
changes, the task to successfully try new versions is
daunting, time consuming, and usually unsuccessful.

You made a huge improvement with the two new moz*
packages, and they were instrumental with me getting a
viable browser.  My suggestion is that each package
release includes all the requisite files and libraries,
and with default configuration files if required, so
all that is required from the user is to unzip the
package and run it.  If desired, the whole folder could
subsequently be discarded if desired or upgraded.

> to the root of the drive that has SeaMonkey, but it's not hard-coded to
> that if you have %UNIXROOT% etc. configured.

I unsuccessfully tried several options using
different environment variables from within the
SeaMonkey directory.  Possibly, a hard coded
environment is required from within CONFIG.SYS?

Ultimately, I copied the directory tree from
"@unixroot" to several locations and names (unixroot,
@unixroot, %unixroot%), and "@unixroot\*" on the
applications drive succeeded.

> > A) There was a insta-crash accessing the "Download" menu.
>
> Try removing downloads.(rdf|sqlite) from your profile, and see if that
> helps.

The download still functions as configured, but just
accessing the menu item crashes only 42.9.

> > B) There was a insta-crash on the OpenSteetMap edit page the instant
> > the mouse was moved.
>
> Did you get a *.trp crash log?

No, I never.

> > C) There was a insta-crash accessing video.
>
> What kind of video?

All the videos on this page:

https://www.theguardian.com/world

Embedded videos still seem to work.

> > D) The stability is still not prime time.
>
> Nope.
>
> > I also would like to change the default browser and display fonts to
> > bigger sans-serif, but was unsuccessful.
>
> Using the preferences UI, or userChrome.css?  You may want to describe
> in more detail what you are trying.

This is interesting, as I had previously thought that
the newer browsers required TTF, and that was a big
reason they wouldn't work, as my franken
system uses Adobe PostScript, and I cannot add TTF.

I finally was able to go to the SeaMonkey font settings
page, and successfully configure all the fonts as
PostScript, and on restarting SeaMonkey, all the
application fonts also changed.

Note that there are never any complaints on font
quality, anti-aliasing, etc. from me.  {:-)

thanks,
Baden

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

baden.kudrenecky
Hi Steve:

On Thursday, 15 June 2017 00:18:16 UTC-5, Steve Wendt  wrote:

> > A) There was a insta-crash accessing the "Download" menu.
>
> Try removing downloads.(rdf|sqlite) from your profile, and see if that
> helps.

   I recently had some bizarre problem with maps not
reference page from Wikipedia, so I checked my
home/../seamonkey/* directory, and the downloads and
several other *.sqlite files were huge, so I deleted
them.

   This fixed the rendering problem as well as the the
previously noted crash issue with selecting "Download"
on the 42.9 version.

thanks for your help!
Baden