SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Dave Yeo-3
I've rebuilt SeaMonkey, now 2.42.9. Frank-Rainer Grahl supplied a bunch
of backported patches from upstream to bring 2.42 up to release
standards. Some icons fixed thanks to Andreas Kohl. I fixed the merge, a
couple of files didn't originally merge correctly. The Mozilla tree is
now slightly ahead of Firefox 45.5, now at the 45.9 level with H264, AAC
and now MP3 playback working (volume still broken). Seamonky.exe is also
patched to not need LIBPATHSTRICT or RUN! anymore.
https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/seamonkey-2.42.9esr.en-US.os2.zip.

Same requirements as previously, the latest FFmpeg 3.3.1 (Hobbes
incoming currently) should also work for H264, AAC and MP3.
Dave

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Dave Yeo-3
Dave Yeo wrote:

> I've rebuilt SeaMonkey, now 2.42.9. Frank-Rainer Grahl supplied a bunch
> of backported patches from upstream to bring 2.42 up to release
> standards. Some icons fixed thanks to Andreas Kohl. I fixed the merge, a
> couple of files didn't originally merge correctly. The Mozilla tree is
> now slightly ahead of Firefox 45.5, now at the 45.9 level with H264, AAC
> and now MP3 playback working (volume still broken). Seamonky.exe is also
> patched to not need LIBPATHSTRICT or RUN! anymore.
> https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/seamonkey-2.42.9esr.en-US.os2.zip.
>
> Same requirements as previously, the latest FFmpeg 3.3.1 (Hobbes
> incoming currently) should also work for H264, AAC and MP3.
> Dave

Seems I got ahead of myself. This is the correct libcx,
https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/libcx0.dll
Can backup and replace the one in @UNIXROOT\usr\lib or where ever you
have it. The Yum/RPM repository will catch up.
Dave

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Steve Wendt
On 06/03/17 04:54 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:

> I've rebuilt SeaMonkey, now 2.42.9. Frank-Rainer Grahl supplied a bunch
> of backported patches from upstream to bring 2.42 up to release

Thanks Dave (and Frank)!

> with H264, AAC and now MP3 playback working

I see that libvpx4 is still required, while libvpx2 is optional.
Interestingly, html5test says WebM is supported with just libvpx4 (seems
reasonable), but H.264, AAC, and MP3 go away without libvpx2, even
though the ffmpeg support is there; perhaps one of the ffmpeg DLLs has a
dependency on libvpx2, I didn't look too closely.

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Steve Wendt
On 06/03/17 04:54 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:

> I've rebuilt SeaMonkey, now 2.42.9.

A couple times, I've had an alert dialog come up with this text:
[StringID 104?]

I'm guessing it's a result of the back-ported patches and some language
string.

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Dave Yeo-3
On 06/04/17 04:28 PM, Steve Wendt wrote:

> On 06/03/17 04:54 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> I've rebuilt SeaMonkey, now 2.42.9. Frank-Rainer Grahl supplied a bunch
>> of backported patches from upstream to bring 2.42 up to release
>
> Thanks Dave (and Frank)!
>
>> with H264, AAC and now MP3 playback working
>
> I see that libvpx4 is still required, while libvpx2 is optional.
> Interestingly, html5test says WebM is supported with just libvpx4 (seems
> reasonable), but H.264, AAC, and MP3 go away without libvpx2, even
> though the ffmpeg support is there; perhaps one of the ffmpeg DLLs has a
> dependency on libvpx2, I didn't look too closely.

Yes the older FFmpeg had a dependency on libvpx2. The one in hobbes
incoming should work with only the libvpx4 dependency.
Dave

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Dave Yeo-3
On 06/04/17 05:03 PM, Steve Wendt wrote:

> On 06/03/17 04:54 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> I've rebuilt SeaMonkey, now 2.42.9.
>
> A couple times, I've had an alert dialog come up with this text:
> [StringID 104?]
>
> I'm guessing it's a result of the back-ported patches and some language
> string.

Haven't seen that one, and I've been running it for a while. Does the
error console add anything to the error? Could be an add-on problem.
Dave

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Steve Wendt
On 06/04/17 05:14 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:

>> A couple times, I've had an alert dialog come up with this text:
>> [StringID 104?]
>
> Haven't seen that one, and I've been running it for a while. Does the
> error console add anything to the error? Could be an add-on problem.

I'll see if I can find anything that correlates, but from when it has
happened, I believe in earlier versions the message that popped up was
something along the lines of "mailbox in use, can't compact".  Sorry for
the poor memory, but it tends to be when the mail/news window is opened.

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Steve Wendt
On 06/04/17 04:28 pm, Steve Wendt wrote:

> I see that libvpx4 is still required

If anyone still cares, I have updated the mozsupport package:
http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html

It includes a firefox folder containing hunspell and libjpgeg-turbo, but
that is completely untested here.  It does look like bitwise plans a
45.9 release.

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Steve Wendt
On 06/03/17 04:54 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:

> I've rebuilt SeaMonkey, now 2.42.9.

Something in the canvas painting code gets very broken when you press
F11 to go full-screen.  I'm pretty sure that worked in the last build.

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Steve Wendt
On 06/04/17 05:27 pm, Steve Wendt wrote:

>>> A couple times, I've had an alert dialog come up with this text:
>>> [StringID 104?]
>
> I'll see if I can find anything that correlates

Might be the "news server timed out" message (news.ecomstation.com).

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Dave Yeo-3
Steve Wendt wrote:

>> I'll see if I can find anything that correlates
>
> Might be the "news server timed out" message (news.ecomstation.com).

Reproduced here, does seem to be the timed out message. I'll look into it
Dave

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Dave Yeo-3
Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 06/03/17 04:54 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> I've rebuilt SeaMonkey, now 2.42.9.
>
> Something in the canvas painting code gets very broken when you press
> F11 to go full-screen.  I'm pretty sure that worked in the last build.

Probably didn't work in the last build though I'll test. Firefox 45.5
seems pretty broken too when it comes to F11 so I'll open an issue at
Bitwise.
Dave

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Steve Wendt
On 06/04/2017 06:51 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

>> Something in the canvas painting code gets very broken when you press
>> F11 to go full-screen.

Requires an application restart to start drawing properly.

> Probably didn't work in the last build though I'll test.

I may have never tried, but I thought I did.

> I'll open an issue at Bitwise.

Thanks!  Someday, I might create a github account... :-/

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Dave Yeo-3
On 06/04/17 07:25 PM, Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 06/04/2017 06:51 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>>> Something in the canvas painting code gets very broken when you press
>>> F11 to go full-screen.
>
> Requires an application restart to start drawing properly.

Firefox kept vanishing without trace after I restarted it and tried to
open another tab. Needed to reboot to fix.
SM wouldn't respond to anything except the menus, which did allow me to
cleanly close it.
I'll do some more testing but want to use a test profile.
Dave

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Alfredo Fernández Díaz
Steve Wendt escribió:
> On 06/04/17 04:28 pm, Steve Wendt wrote:
>
>> I see that libvpx4 is still required
>
> If anyone still cares, I have updated the mozsupport package:
> http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html

Why wouldn't we care?

I am still stuck with an old SM (Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5; rv:10.0.9)
Gecko/20121011 Firefox/10.0.9 SeaMonkey/2.7.2) because every time I think of
trying and putting together some new release, a seemingly ever changing list
of dependencies and requirements pops up, and then some last minute note is
published somewhere stating that a couple more files were either not shipped
or built incorrectly or whatever and another version of those needs to be
hunted down separately. Then cue in the horror stories that something vital
for me (like postscript printing) won't work, or you need to make a nearly
full backup of the system just in case you need/want to go back. I don't have
the time for that, so I keep delaying the upgrade until the time comes when I
won't be able to browse the internet anymore.

But, and this is my point, I wouldn't even start to think of such upgrades
were it not for your immensely valuable work there. OS2 Mozilla products
nearly always lagged behind in listing requirements and whatnot, so I wouldn't
know where to begin if you weren't upgrading your package and documentation.

Thanks a million for your efforts, Steve. They are much appreciated even if I
can't make the most of them yet ;(

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Steve Wendt
On 6/5/2017 3:51 AM, Alfredo Fernández Díaz wrote:

> I am still stuck with an old SM (Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5;
> rv:10.0.9) Gecko/20121011 Firefox/10.0.9 SeaMonkey/2.7.2)

I seem to recall Dave's 17esr (SM 2.14.11) builds were really solid; I
do still have those listed as the stable builds!

> Thanks a million for your efforts, Steve.

Thanks!  Happy to see someone still cares.  Someday, "yum install
seamonkey" may work, but until then, the RPM package dependent builds
are still done poorly, in my opinion.

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Dave Yeo-3
Steve Wendt wrote:

> On 6/5/2017 3:51 AM, Alfredo Fernández Díaz wrote:
>
>> I am still stuck with an old SM (Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5;
>> rv:10.0.9) Gecko/20121011 Firefox/10.0.9 SeaMonkey/2.7.2)
>
> I seem to recall Dave's 17esr (SM 2.14.11) builds were really solid; I
> do still have those listed as the stable builds!
>
>> Thanks a million for your efforts, Steve.
>
> Thanks!  Happy to see someone still cares.  Someday, "yum install
> seamonkey" may work, but until then, the RPM package dependent builds
> are still done poorly, in my opinion.

Well it sounds like soon yum install firefox will work but with the
route that Bitwise has chosen to support turning Firefox into a rpm, I
doubt that SeaMonkey will ever be packaged the same way.
Dave

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Peter Brown
Hi Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> I've rebuilt SeaMonkey, now 2.42.9. Frank-Rainer Grahl supplied a bunch
>> of backported patches from upstream to bring 2.42 up to release
>> standards. Some icons fixed thanks to Andreas Kohl. I fixed the merge, a
>> couple of files didn't originally merge correctly. The Mozilla tree is
>> now slightly ahead of Firefox 45.5, now at the 45.9 level with H264, AAC
>> and now MP3 playback working (volume still broken). Seamonky.exe is also
>> patched to not need LIBPATHSTRICT or RUN! anymore.
>> https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/seamonkey-2.42.9esr.en-US.os2.zip.
>>

>> Same requirements as previously, the latest FFmpeg 3.3.1 (Hobbes
>> incoming currently) should also work for H264, AAC and MP3.
>> Dave
>
> Seems I got ahead of myself. This is the correct libcx,
> https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/libcx0.dll
> Can backup and replace the one in @UNIXROOT\usr\lib or where ever you
> have it. The Yum/RPM repository will catch up.
> Dave

Should video playback work reasonably well?

Here I get what looks like a slideshow of photos with some jerky noise -
when anything happens at all.

This is also my first attempt at typing any amount of text with this
release and it seems that text output to screen is very jerky - have to
stop my slow 2 fingered typing to let the screen catch up frequently.

Is this just my system or common to this release?

Regards

Pete

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Steve Wendt
On 06/05/2017 09:18 PM, Peter Brown wrote:

> Should video playback work reasonably well?
> jerky noise -
> text output to screen is very jerky
>
> Is this just my system or common to this release?

It's not you, 45esr builds are still kind of crappy:
https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/208

I suspect bitwise will put out a 45.9 release once they figure that one out.

Re: SeaMonkey 2.42.9

Dave Yeo-3
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Steve Wendt wrote:

>>> I'll see if I can find anything that correlates
>>
>> Might be the "news server timed out" message (news.ecomstation.com).
>>

> Reproduced here, does seem to be the timed out message. I'll look into it
> Dave

Interestingly, a debug build correctly displays the "Connection to
server news.ecomstation.com timed out" message.
Dave