SeaMonkey 2.14 status

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Dave Yeo-3
Well I managed to compile SM 2.14.0.11 (how should we brand this?)
though there are still problems in the build system and my environment
(lots of print.com crashes in popup.log).
Make package (to create the zip for distributing) failed due to a couple
of missing js files.
Running with my usual profile resulted in perfectly transparent windows
with only the frames visible :) 100% CPU load for a while but it did
drop to normal and it did seem to be trying to draw all the tabs.
Blindly clicking on the menu worked well enough to display the menu that
I successfully exited.
Running with a new profile worked well until I attempted to open mail
and newsgroups where the browser vanished without a trace :( I'll have
to review how Dmitriy has changed initiating the exceptq stuff).
I'll clobber my tree and start over as I had to fix things as they broke
and possibly something was mis-compiled.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Steve Wendt
On 3/7/2014 12:46 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

> Well I managed to compile SM 2.14.0.11 (how should we brand this?)

If you want to follow what Peter did before, I guess it would be DrYSM.  ;-)

> I'll clobber my tree and start over as I had to fix things as they broke
> and possibly something was mis-compiled.

Thanks for your continued efforts!

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
Dave Yeo wrote:
> Well I managed to compile SM 2.14.0.11 (how should we brand this?)
> though there are still problems in the build system and my environment
> (lots of print.com crashes in popup.log).
> Make package (to create the zip for distributing) failed due to a couple
> of missing js files.

OK,  rebuilt the whole tree then I built the missing 2 files
(connect.xpt and dom_contacts.xpt) in there own directory and make
package got much further, dieing with errors about not finding
startupcache.zip which I think is a known problem with FF17.0.5.
My new profile came up and tried to install Lightning which I stupidly
canceled and worked fairly well until I tried replying to this the
parent message. Then the account wizard acted weirdly. Possibly profile
corruption so I'll delete the profile after this and retry.

> Running with my usual profile resulted in perfectly transparent windows
> with only the frames visible :) 100% CPU load for a while but it did
> drop to normal and it did seem to be trying to draw all the tabs.
> Blindly clicking on the menu worked well enough to display the menu that
> I successfully exited.

Once again my usual profile didn't want to redraw when changing tabs so
I restarted in safe mode which seems to be working fine as I'm posting
this from SM 2.14

> Running with a new profile worked well until I attempted to open mail
> and newsgroups where the browser vanished without a trace :( I'll have
> to review how Dmitriy has changed initiating the exceptq stuff).
> I'll clobber my tree and start over as I had to fix things as they broke
> and possibly something was mis-compiled.

Very slow building the whole tree, 13693 seconds :) I'll have to test FF
17.0.11 to make sure I didn't screw up somewhere and also a test build
of TB 17.0.11 for comparison. Thunderbird is really slow to compile.
I'll post more test messages as I go.
Dave


_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Dave Yeo-3
Dave Yeo wrote:
> My new profile came up and tried to install Lightning which I stupidly
> canceled and worked fairly well until I tried replying to this the
> parent message. Then the account wizard acted weirdly. Possibly profile
> corruption so I'll delete the profile after this and retry.

New profile seems to be working not too bad, account wizard worked.
Unluckily after posting the last message SM quit redrawing the window.
Not actually transparent windows, just showing whatever was over them. I
was hoping this would just work, I'll have to do more investigations and
hopefully can get it working decently
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Andreas Buchinger
Dave Yeo schrieb:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> My new profile came up and tried to install Lightning which I stupidly
>> canceled and worked fairly well until I tried replying to this the
>> parent message. Then the account wizard acted weirdly. Possibly profile
>> corruption so I'll delete the profile after this and retry.
>
> New profile seems to be working not too bad, account wizard worked.
> Unluckily after posting the last message SM quit redrawing the window. Not actually transparent
> windows, just showing whatever was over them. I was hoping this would just work, I'll have to do
> more investigations and hopefully can get it working decently
> Dave

Thanks Dave for your work. I can hardly wait to get an updated SM - sorry Dmik, can't get used to FF :-)

You mentioned Lightning - did it work for you with SM2.7.2? Here it blocks the whole system every
few seconds for a second or so. 100% cpu load and characters do not appear while you're writing for
a second. Moreover I can't get it synchronizing with Google calendar via CalDav.

Regards, Andi

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Dave Yeo-3
Meant to send this to the list :)

On 03/08/14 06:11 AM, Andreas Buchinger wrote:
> Thanks Dave for your work. I can hardly wait to get an updated SM -
> sorry Dmik, can't get used to FF :-)

That's why I'm trying to get it work. Don't like Firefox at all :)

>
> You mentioned Lightning - did it work for you with SM2.7.2? Here it
> blocks the whole system every few seconds for a second or so. 100% cpu
> load and characters do not appear while you're writing for a second.
> Moreover I can't get it synchronizing with Google calendar via CalDav.

I never really used it but always had it installed and it never seemed
to cause problems. Same with 2.14 where on the new profile it just
needed activating on the add-ons page. I'll test it a bit later.
Now it is in the tree so builds while building SM or TB with a configure
option.
I'm kind of surprised that SM and TB haven't built quite as easy as I'm
used to. For SM there was missing zlib symbols, easy to fix and now I
see TB died with a missing mail related symbol
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
Dave Yeo wrote:
> Unluckily after posting the last message SM quit redrawing the window.
> Not actually transparent windows, just showing whatever was over them. I
> was hoping this would just work, I'll have to do more investigations and
> hopefully can get it working decently

That of course was with my old profile where I have a couple of windows
and close to a hundred tabs open.
It turns out that it is shared memory problem. SM2.7.2 uses up about 32
MBs starting up and now is at about 36MB with everything loaded.
Eventually it'll leak enough to necessitate restarting SM and after a
week or 10 days enough will have leaked to crash the system if I don't
reboot.
SM2.14 quickly used closed to 200MBs and continued using it up until
with only 8MBs free it got funky. Attempting to close it caused a crash
as shared memory dropped towards zero. Crash was in mozjs and did
generate an exceptq report.
Another difference is that now I'm building with a separate mozjs.dll to
make xul.dll smaller.
Not sure what to do about this, Steven, if you are following, what is
the status of marking DLLs to use high memory, in particular it seems I
heard that the 106 kernel has fixes for this.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

kbr_nospam_
In <[hidden email]>, on 03/08/14
   at 12:30 PM, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> said:

>Not sure what to do about this, Steven, if you are following, what is
>the status of marking DLLs to use high memory, in particular it seems I
>heard that the 106 kernel has fixes for this.

Hi Dave,

I used higmem.exe to load all firefox dll's high. This works well and
reduces high memory use a lot. The problem I had with crashes when calling
firefox from mr/2 was caused by loading xul.dll data segments high, since
marking xull to only load code segments high it wors flawlessly.


Cheers, Bjorn.
--
-----------------------------------------------------------
[hidden email]
-----------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Dave Yeo-3
On 03/09/14 11:49 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> In<[hidden email]>, on 03/08/14
>     at 12:30 PM, Dave Yeo<[hidden email]>  said:
>
>> Not sure what to do about this, Steven, if you are following, what is
>> the status of marking DLLs to use high memory, in particular it seems I
>> heard that the 106 kernel has fixes for this.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I used higmem.exe to load all firefox dll's high. This works well and
> reduces high memory use a lot. The problem I had with crashes when calling
> firefox from mr/2 was caused by loading xul.dll data segments high, since
> marking xull to only load code segments high it wors flawlessly.
>

Good to hear. So far I tried marking mozjs.dll high and it didn't make
much difference. I'll experiment later.
Is this with FF17.0.5? And on which system, kernel?
I also wonder about mmap and how well distributed highmem.exe is. I got
my version straight from Roderick some time back along with a little
applet to display free shared memory.
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

kbr_nospam_
In reply to this post by kbr_nospam_
In <[hidden email]>, on
03/09/14
   at 01:01 PM, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> said:



>On 03/09/14 11:49 AM, [hidden email] wrote: >
>In<[hidden email]>, on 03/08/14 >     at
>12:30 PM, Dave Yeo<[hidden email]>  said:
>>
>>> Not sure what to do about this, Steven, if you are following, what is
>>> the status of marking DLLs to use high memory, in particular it seems I
>>> heard that the 106 kernel has fixes for this.
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> I used higmem.exe to load all firefox dll's high. This works well and
>> reduces high memory use a lot. The problem I had with crashes when calling
>> firefox from mr/2 was caused by loading xul.dll data segments high, since
>> marking xull to only load code segments high it wors flawlessly.
>>

>Good to hear. So far I tried marking mozjs.dll high and it didn't make
>much difference. I'll experiment later.
>Is this with FF17.0.5? And on which system, kernel?

The 17.0.5 beta 2, kernel  14.106 smp

>I also wonder about mmap and how well distributed highmem.exe is. I got
>my version straight from Roderick some time back along with a little
>applet to display free shared memory.

Same here....

Cheers, Bjorn.
--
-----------------------------------------------------------
[hidden email]
-----------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by kbr_nospam_
[hidden email] wrote:

> In<[hidden email]>, on 03/08/14
>     at 12:30 PM, Dave Yeo<[hidden email]>  said:
>
>> Not sure what to do about this, Steven, if you are following, what is
>> the status of marking DLLs to use high memory, in particular it seems I
>> heard that the 106 kernel has fixes for this.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I used higmem.exe to load all firefox dll's high. This works well and
> reduces high memory use a lot. The problem I had with crashes when calling
> firefox from mr/2 was caused by loading xul.dll data segments high, since
> marking xull to only load code segments high it wors flawlessly.
>

OK, marked all the DLLs under bin except xul.dll which I only marked the
code section. Seemed a bit better on memory usage but still gobbled up
shared memory and crashed after a few minutes. Then marked SeaMonkey.exe
and components\suite.dll and now it is using almost no shared memory.
Seems that this build is probably good enough to distribute though I'll
have to fix the packaging yet and figure out some way to do a repository
and have the source available much like bitwise is doing.
I haven't tested mail as I usually use Thunderbird (need to test all
programs) but I'd guess it has the same issues as Thunderbird, trying to
display the non-existent linefeed glyph and the format of the msf files
having changed.
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Steven Levine-3
On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 21:55:37 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Hi Dave,

> OK, marked all the DLLs under bin except xul.dll which I only marked the
> code section.

IMO, there's rarely any benefit to loading the data objects high.  If
you look at them, most are relatively small.  kLIBC apps put the heap
in high memory and that's where the bulk of the data usage will be.

That said, if you can identify which APIs are failing when passed data
in high memory, we can look at implementing a wrapper in kLIBC.  You
can file a list of the current wrappers in os2safe.h.

Steven

--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven Levine <[hidden email]>
eCS/Warp/DIY etc. www.scoug.com www.ecomstation.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
Dave Yeo wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> In<[hidden email]>, on 03/08/14
>> at 12:30 PM, Dave Yeo<[hidden email]> said:
>>
>>> Not sure what to do about this, Steven, if you are following, what is
>>> the status of marking DLLs to use high memory, in particular it seems I
>>> heard that the 106 kernel has fixes for this.
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> I used higmem.exe to load all firefox dll's high. This works well and
>> reduces high memory use a lot. The problem I had with crashes when
>> calling
>> firefox from mr/2 was caused by loading xul.dll data segments high, since
>> marking xull to only load code segments high it wors flawlessly.
>>
>
> OK, marked all the DLLs under bin except xul.dll which I only marked the
> code section. Seemed a bit better on memory usage but still gobbled up
> shared memory and crashed after a few minutes. Then marked SeaMonkey.exe
> and components\suite.dll and now it is using almost no shared memory.
> Seems that this build is probably good enough to distribute though I'll
> have to fix the packaging yet and figure out some way to do a repository
> and have the source available much like bitwise is doing.
> I haven't tested mail as I usually use Thunderbird (need to test all
> programs) but I'd guess it has the same issues as Thunderbird, trying to
> display the non-existent linefeed glyph and the format of the msf files
> having changed.
> Dave
>

Feel stupid, as I was spending time outside and just coming in and
quickly setting the computer to do something I loaded the new profile
and that was why it didn't use much memory.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Ray Davison
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
Dave Yeo wrote:
> Well I managed to compile SM 2.14.0.11 (how should we brand this?)

How does it compare to Win SM 2.24?  At some point I stopped sharing
profiles because going from one OS to the other would loose the View >
Sort by settings.

Ray


_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Dave Yeo-3
Ray Davison wrote:
> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> Well I managed to compile SM 2.14.0.11 (how should we brand this?)
>
> How does it compare to Win SM 2.24? At some point I stopped sharing
> profiles because going from one OS to the other would loose the View >
> Sort by settings.
>
I really don't know. This version I believe uses the newer msf format so
I'd guess it is closer to sm24 then sm7. It also probably has a bug
where some messages try to show the LF char resulting in an ugly box at
the end of each line. I haven't had tons of time for experimenting and
won't have this week anyways.
Once they get FF24 building I'll be trying to build SM21
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Steven Levine-3
On 03/09/14 05:20 PM, Steven Levine wrote:

Hmm, I see that both Bjorn and your messages have the LF boxes but no
other ones. It's weird as we're both using the same character encoding,
or close enough. Bjorn doesn't seem to have any character encoding set
and you're both using native news browsers
Dave
ps the problem shows in both SM and TB
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Steve Wendt
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
On 3/9/2014 2:55 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

> figure out some way to do a repository and have the source available
> much like bitwise is doing.

You can't use the same github repository?

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Bob
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Bob
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
As an aside, where is the 106 kernel to be found?

Bob
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Steve Wendt
On 03/10/14 11:02 AM, Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 3/9/2014 2:55 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> figure out some way to do a repository and have the source available
>> much like bitwise is doing.
>
> You can't use the same github repository?
>

It's complicated, SeaMonkey is made from 6 repositories of which I've
patched half whereas Firefox is one repository. I've also updated from
17.0.5 to 17.0.11+ (2 commits updating the block list) as it seems
stupid not to update considering how easy it was. I'll try to get
Dmitiriy to update his tree but he's overwise involved, perhaps trying
to build 24. Also I like Bitbucket better then Github.
I also have to work around my bandwidth issues so can't just combine
everything and upload sa the tree is over a GB
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 status

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Bob
On 03/10/14 01:07 PM, Bob wrote:
> As an aside, where is the 106 kernel to be found?

Seems only available on the eCS 2.2 beta 2
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
12