SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

Andreas Buchinger
When I start built in email client with my standard profile data SM2.14 crashes. See below.

I can start with a new profile and make new mail/news accounts but want my old emails and news
messages import too.

Any clue why it crashes?

Any other option to import mail/news from actual profile?

Regards, Andreas



______________________________________________________________________

  Exception Report - created 2014/05/01 12:30:16
______________________________________________________________________

  OS2/eCS Version:  2.45
  # of Processors:  2
  Physical Memory:  3327 mb
  Virt Addr Limit:  1536 mb
  Exceptq Version:  7.11-shl (Feb  7 2014)

______________________________________________________________________

  Exception C0000005 - Access Violation
______________________________________________________________________

  Process:  T:\TEMP\SEAMONKEY-2.14.EN-US.OS2\SEAMONKEY\SEAMONKEY.EXE
  PID:      6B9B (27547)
  TID:      01 (1)
  Priority: 200

  Filename: T:\TEMP\SEAMONKEY-2.14.EN-US.OS2\SEAMONKEY\MOZALLOC.DLL 03/18/2014 16:46:15 6,536
  Address:  005B:1D4603DD (0001:000003DD)
  Cause:    Attempted to write to 00000000
            (not a valid address)

______________________________________________________________________

  Failing Instruction
______________________________________________________________________

  1D4603C8  MOV   EAX, [0x1aea01bc]  (a1 bc01ea1a)
  1D4603CD  MOV   DWORD [ESP], 0xa   (c70424 0a000000)
  1D4603D4  MOV   [ESP+0x4], EAX     (894424 04)
  1D4603D8  CALL  0x1f19f1f8         (e8 1beed301)
  1D4603DD >MOV   DWORD [0x0], 0x7b  (c705 00000000 7b000000)
  1D4603E7  INT 3                    (cc)
  1D4603E8  NOP                      (90)
  1D4603E9  CALL  0x1f199ed8         (e8 ea9ad301)

______________________________________________________________________

  Registers
______________________________________________________________________

  EAX : FFFFFFFF   EBX  : 0012DA14   ECX : 00000002   EDX  : 1AEB9070
  ESI : 00000003   EDI  : 130CC4F0
  ESP : 0012D520   EBP  : 00000000   EIP : 1D4603DD   EFLG : 00210246
  CS  : 005B       CSLIM: FFFFFFFF   SS  : 0053       SSLIM: FFFFFFFF

  EAX : not a valid address
  EBX : read/write memory on this thread's stack
  ECX : not a valid address
  EDX : read/write memory at 0003:00019070 in LIBC065
  ESI : not a valid address
  EDI : read/exec  memory at 0001:016DC4F0 in XUL

______________________________________________________________________

  Stack Info for Thread 01
______________________________________________________________________

    Size       Base        ESP         Max         Top
  00100000   00130000 -> 0012D520 -> 0011F000 -> 00030000

______________________________________________________________________

  Call Stack
______________________________________________________________________

    EBP     Address    Module     Obj:Offset    Nearest Public Symbol
  --------  ---------  --------  -------------  -----------------------
  Invalid EBP 00000000

______________________________________________________________________

  Labels on the Stack
______________________________________________________________________

    ESP     Address    Module     Obj:Offset    Nearest Public Symbol
  --------  ---------  --------  -------------  -----------------------
  0012D534  130CC4F0   XUL       0001:016DC4F0  between nsDebugImpl::Create + 60 and
_NS_DebugBreak_P - C0  (both in nsDebugImpl.o)
  0012D53C  130CC848   XUL       0001:016DC848  between _NS_DebugBreak_P + 298 and
nsDebugImpl::Abort - 198  (both in nsDebugImpl.o)
  0012D544  130CC52E   XUL       0001:016DC52E  between nsDebugImpl::Create + 9E and
_NS_DebugBreak_P - 82  (both in nsDebugImpl.o)
  0012D58C  1F1AE354   LIBC065   0001:0005E354  strpbrk.c#11 __std_strpbrk + 24 0001:0005E330
(strpbrk.obj)
  0012D61C  1F15AE63   LIBC065   0001:0000AE63  ialloc.c#317 __um_lump_alloc + 47B 0001:0000A9E8
(D:\CODING\LIBC\0.6\src\emx\src\lib\malloc\ialloc.c)
  0012D65C  1F15A98A   LIBC065   0001:0000A98A  ialloc.c#369 __um_alloc_no_lock + 5A 0001:0000A930
(D:\CODING\LIBC\0.6\src\emx\src\lib\malloc\ialloc.c)
  0012D69C  1F15A843   LIBC065   0001:0000A843  fmutex.h#140 __umalloc + B2 0001:0000A791
(D:\CODING\LIBC\0.6\src\emx\src\lib\malloc\umalloc.c)
  0012D6CC  1F1604E4   LIBC065   0001:000104E4  malloc.c#22 __std_malloc + 24 0001:000104C0
(D:\CODING\LIBC\0.6\src\emx\src\lib\malloc\malloc.c)
  0012D6EC  130E8023   XUL       0001:016F8023  between nsACString_internal::MutatePrep + A3 and
nsStringBuffer::ToString - 10D  (both in nsSubstring.o)
  0012D6FC  1F15AE63   LIBC065   0001:0000AE63  ialloc.c#317 __um_lump_alloc + 47B 0001:0000A9E8
(D:\CODING\LIBC\0.6\src\emx\src\lib\malloc\ialloc.c)
  0012D72C  130E832F   XUL       0001:016F832F  between nsACString_internal::ReplacePrepInternal +
3F and nsACString_internal::Replace - 101  (both in nsSubstring.o)
  0012D75C  13072EA7   XUL       0001:01682EA7  between _PL_DHashTableOperate + 3B7 and
mozilla::BlockingResourceBase::kResourceTypeName - 109  (in pldhash.o and BlockingResourceBase.o)
  0012D768  136A30FC   XUL       0001:01CB30FC  between nsIMsgProtocolInfo::COMTypeInfo::kIID + C
and nsIMutableArray::COMTypeInfo::kIID - 4  (both in nsMsgAccountManagerDS.o)
  0012D76C  1306D775   XUL       0001:0167D775  between NS_TableDrivenQI + 55 and
nsMemory::GetGlobalMemoryService - 2B  (in nsISupportsImpl.o and nsMemory.o)
  0012D77C  119CFF79   NSPR4     0001:0001FF79  between _PR_Lock + 29 and _PR_Unlock - 17  (both in
prulock.o)
  0012D780  000100BD   SEAMONKE  0001:000000BD  between _LoadExceptq + 4D and _main - 263  (both in
nsSuiteApp.o)
  0012D788  136A30F0   XUL       0001:01CB30F0  nsIMsgProtocolInfo::COMTypeInfo::kIID  (in
nsMsgAccountManagerDS.o)
  0012D78C  138AB0E3   XUL       0001:01EBB0E3  between nsNntpService::Release + 13 and
nsNntpService::AddRef::{thunk} - 2D  (both in nsNntpService.o)
  0012D798  136A30F0   XUL       0001:01CB30F0  nsIMsgProtocolInfo::COMTypeInfo::kIID  (in
nsMsgAccountManagerDS.o)
  0012D79C  138AB067   XUL       0001:01EBB067  between nsNntpService::QueryInterface + 27 and
nsNntpService::Release::{thunk} - 9  (both in nsNntpService.o)
  0012D7A4  138B1310   XUL       0001:01EC1310  between nsIMsgI18NUrl::COMTypeInfo::kIID + 20 and
nsINntpService::COMTypeInfo::kIID - 50  (both in nsNntpService.o)
  0012D7A8  136A30F0   XUL       0001:01CB30F0  nsIMsgProtocolInfo::COMTypeInfo::kIID  (in
nsMsgAccountManagerDS.o)
  0012D7BC  130BA588   XUL       0001:016CA588  between
nsComponentManagerImpl::GetServiceByContractID + F8 and nsComponentManagerImpl::GetService::{thunk}
- 2D8  (both in nsComponentManager.o)
  0012D7C4  136A30F0   XUL       0001:01CB30F0  nsIMsgProtocolInfo::COMTypeInfo::kIID  (in
nsMsgAccountManagerDS.o)
  0012D7D4  136CBEF6   XUL       0001:01CDBEF6  between nsMsgIncomingServer::SetBiffMinutes + 26 and
nsMsgIncomingServer::GetType - A  (both in nsMsgIncomingServer.o)
  0012D7DC  1F1B6D72   LIBC065   0001:00066D72  ifree.c#139 __um_free_maybe_lock + 136 0001:00066C3C
(ifree.obj)
  0012D7EC  130EB016   XUL       0001:016FB016  between nsACString_internal::Replace + 1C6 and
nsACString_internal::Replace - AA  (both in nsSubstring.o)
  0012D804  136D211C   XUL       0001:01CE211C  between nsMsgIncomingServer::SetUnicharValue + 1AC
and nsMsgIncomingServer::getProtocolInfo - 34  (both in nsMsgIncomingServer.o)
  0012D80C  130EAD5A   XUL       0001:016FAD5A  between nsACString_internal::Assign + 14A and
nsACString_internal::Assign - 96  (both in nsSubstring.o)
  0012D81C  1F1B6AC9   LIBC065   0001:00066AC9  fmutex.h#140 __um_crumb_free_maybe_lock + D5
0001:000669F4 (ifree.obj)

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

Dave Yeo-3
On 05/01/14 03:35 AM, Andreas Buchinger wrote:
> When I start built in email client with my standard profile data SM2.14
> crashes. See below.
>
> I can start with a new profile and make new mail/news accounts but want
> my old emails and news messages import too.
>
> Any clue why it crashes?

Anything printed on stderr or stdout? It seems to be crashing in code
that is usually used with debug builds. Wish it was easier to upload a
debug build and see if there are any interesting assertions.

Have you tried starting in safe mode? seamonkey.exe -safe-mode or
Help--> Restart with Add-ons disabled. Also wouldn't hurt to test with
MOZ_NO_RWS=1 in the environment.
You could also try removing the msf files in mail and if don't help,
news, with the browser closed. They'll be rebuilt but the news ones
always seem to leave confusion about read vs unread.
Another idea is to move the mailbox files out of the way to see if one
is corrupted, and then bring them back one by one.

>
> Any other option to import mail/news from actual profile?

You can recreate your folder tree in the new profile, then copy over the
mailbox files for mail and I'd guess similar for news. Once again with
the browser closed and deleting the msf files to force rebuilding. Same
if you have a good backup, just copy over the mailbox files which
usually have the same name as the folder.
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

Andreas Buchinger
Dave Yeo schrieb:

> On 05/01/14 03:35 AM, Andreas Buchinger wrote:
>> When I start built in email client with my standard profile data SM2.14
>> crashes. See below.
>>
>> I can start with a new profile and make new mail/news accounts but want
>> my old emails and news messages import too.
>>
>> Any clue why it crashes?
>
> Anything printed on stderr or stdout? It seems to be crashing in code that is usually used with
No output a console.

> debug builds. Wish it was easier to upload a debug build and see if there are any interesting
> assertions.
>
> Have you tried starting in safe mode? seamonkey.exe -safe-mode or Help--> Restart with Add-ons
Yes, but crashes too.

> disabled. Also wouldn't hurt to test with MOZ_NO_RWS=1 in the environment.
No difference unfortunately.

> You could also try removing the msf files in mail and if don't help, news, with the browser closed.
Did not help either.

> They'll be rebuilt but the news ones always seem to leave confusion about read vs unread.
> Another idea is to move the mailbox files out of the way to see if one is corrupted, and then bring
> them back one by one.
>
>>
>> Any other option to import mail/news from actual profile?
>
> You can recreate your folder tree in the new profile, then copy over the mailbox files for mail and
> I'd guess similar for news. Once again with the browser closed and deleting the msf files to force
> rebuilding. Same if you have a good backup, just copy over the mailbox files which usually have the
> same name as the folder.
> Dave
Tried editing prefs.js for hours but could not get it to work. So your
suggestion for recreating accounts was what I finally did. For news
servers it was even easier than for email - new settings tab allows
specifying of .rc files and folder. Simply copying and restart is enough.

No doing more test with 2.14.

Thx.

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

Andreas Buchinger
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
Dave Yeo schrieb:

> On 05/01/14 03:35 AM, Andreas Buchinger wrote:
>> When I start built in email client with my standard profile data SM2.14
>> crashes. See below.
>>
>> I can start with a new profile and make new mail/news accounts but want
>> my old emails and news messages import too.
>>
>> Any clue why it crashes?
>
> Anything printed on stderr or stdout? It seems to be crashing in code that is usually used with
No output a console.

> debug builds. Wish it was easier to upload a debug build and see if there are any interesting
> assertions.
>
> Have you tried starting in safe mode? seamonkey.exe -safe-mode or Help--> Restart with Add-ons
Yes, but crashes too.

> disabled. Also wouldn't hurt to test with MOZ_NO_RWS=1 in the environment.
No difference unfortunately.

> You could also try removing the msf files in mail and if don't help, news, with the browser closed.
Did not help either.

> They'll be rebuilt but the news ones always seem to leave confusion about read vs unread.
> Another idea is to move the mailbox files out of the way to see if one is corrupted, and then bring
> them back one by one.
>
>>
>> Any other option to import mail/news from actual profile?
>
> You can recreate your folder tree in the new profile, then copy over the mailbox files for mail and
> I'd guess similar for news. Once again with the browser closed and deleting the msf files to force
> rebuilding. Same if you have a good backup, just copy over the mailbox files which usually have the
> same name as the folder.
> Dave
Tried editing prefs.js for hours but could not get it to work. So your
suggestion for recreating accounts was what I finally did. For news
servers it was even easier than for email - new settings tab allows
specifying of .rc files and folder. Simply copying and restart is enough.

Now doing more test with 2.14.

Thx.

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

Steve Wendt
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
On 5/5/2014 12:31 PM, Andreas Buchinger wrote:

>> Anything printed on stderr or stdout? It seems to be crashing in code
>> that is usually used with
> No output a console.

You have to redirect to a file, or use the 'G' feature of Run!.  For
example:  seamonkey.exe > output.txt 2>&1

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

Andreas Buchinger
Steve Wendt schrieb:
> On 5/5/2014 12:31 PM, Andreas Buchinger wrote:
>
>>> Anything printed on stderr or stdout? It seems to be crashing in code
>>> that is usually used with
>> No output a console.
>
> You have to redirect to a file, or use the 'G' feature of Run!.  For
> example:  seamonkey.exe > output.txt 2>&1
>
Even when I start it from command line? I'm using Run!.

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

Steve Wendt
In reply to this post by Steve Wendt
On 5/7/2014 12:05 AM, Andreas Buchinger wrote:

>>> No output a console.
>>
>> You have to redirect to a file, or use the 'G' feature of Run!.  For
>> example:  seamonkey.exe > output.txt 2>&1
>
> Even when I start it from command line?

Yes; it doesn't get console output when it switches to a PM window.

> I'm using Run!.

As I recall, you can just add 'G' then; for example, seamonkey!KLEG.exe

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
Andreas Buchinger wrote:
> Tried editing prefs.js for hours but could not get it to work.

about:support will show important modified preferences and about:config
is a much better way to edit prefs.js with non-default preference being
bolded.

> So your
> suggestion for recreating accounts was what I finally did. For news
> servers it was even easier than for email - new settings tab allows
> specifying of .rc files and folder. Simply copying and restart is enough.
>
> No doing more test with 2.14.

The trick is to back up before testing, something I got into the habit
of doing back when I usually ran nightlies.
I've been running 2.14 for quite a while here. Had to start over with
places.sqlite3 as it was corrupt and barely worked with 2.7.2 (possible
one of your sqlite3 files being corrupt?) and have only had one crash,
the old drag too fast one that has been around for ages.
On Warp V4 it also doesn't have those horrid missing glyphs.
It is slow though, almost like the JIT JavaScript engine is disabled
Dave


_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Steve Wendt
Steve Wendt wrote:

> On 5/7/2014 12:05 AM, Andreas Buchinger wrote:
>
>>>> No output a console.
>>>
>>> You have to redirect to a file, or use the 'G' feature of Run!.  For
>>> example:  seamonkey.exe > output.txt 2>&1
>>
>> Even when I start it from command line?
>
> Yes; it doesn't get console output when it switches to a PM window.
>
>> I'm using Run!.
>
> As I recall, you can just add 'G' then; for example, seamonkey!KLEG.exe
>

Really people should always have G with run!, the log is usually small
and easy to ignore and you never know if something might show up.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

Andreas Buchinger
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
Dave Yeo schrieb:

> Andreas Buchinger wrote:
>> Tried editing prefs.js for hours but could not get it to work.
>
> about:support will show important modified preferences and about:config
> is a much better way to edit prefs.js with non-default preference being
> bolded.
>
>> So your
>> suggestion for recreating accounts was what I finally did. For news
>> servers it was even easier than for email - new settings tab allows
>> specifying of .rc files and folder. Simply copying and restart is enough.
>>
>> No doing more test with 2.14.
>
> The trick is to back up before testing, something I got into the habit
> of doing back when I usually ran nightlies.

No problem, I've good and enough backups here. What I wanted was to
migrate all without to much intervention and moreover to find the
problem with my current profile. What I learned is editing prefs.js
manually or with about:config is not the best way to do this although I
think I'm pretty experienced in such stuff.

Start with a new clean profile and recreate mail/news accounts and then
copy over the old mail/news dirs is the proposal for people with similar
problems. Don't waste time on trying to solve such problems with edition
prefs.js.

> I've been running 2.14 for quite a while here. Had to start over with
> places.sqlite3 as it was corrupt and barely worked with 2.7.2 (possible
> one of your sqlite3 files being corrupt?) and have only had one crash,
> the old drag too fast one that has been around for ages.
> On Warp V4 it also doesn't have those horrid missing glyphs.

I do not see these missing glyphs here. Neither on website nor in email.
Maybe I visit only 'good' sites and do only have non problematic emails.
If you want me to test some sites or emails here send me the email or link.

> It is slow though, almost like the JIT JavaScript engine is disabled
> Dave

 From the short period of testing I do not see much difference. Only a
nasty pause sometimes while typing emails seems to be there in 2.14 too.
But with 2.7.x I started to notice this after installing lightning. With
2.14 I did not even try to install lightning until now but the pause is
there too. Although the pause period seems to be smaller than with
2.7.x. More tests will come as I use 2.14 as default from now.

Andi


_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

Dave Yeo-3
On 05/08/14 01:07 PM, Andreas Buchinger wrote:
>> On Warp V4 it also doesn't have those horrid missing glyphs.
>
> I do not see these missing glyphs here. Neither on website nor in email.
> Maybe I visit only 'good' sites and do only have non problematic emails.
> If you want me to test some sites or emails here send me the email or link.

Your message about 5 up in this thread that you sent with SM 2.15.1 on
Windows shows the missing glyphs here (TB 17.11), most of the rest in
the thread don't.
It's a strange problem which I wonder if is related to mime type or
encoding type. I take it you have the German language pack installed?

>
>> It is slow though, almost like the JIT JavaScript engine is disabled
>> Dave
>
>  From the short period of testing I do not see much difference. Only a
> nasty pause sometimes while typing emails seems to be there in 2.14 too.
> But with 2.7.x I started to notice this after installing lightning. With
> 2.14 I did not even try to install lightning until now but the pause is
> there too. Although the pause period seems to be smaller than with
> 2.7.x. More tests will come as I use 2.14 as default from now.

I never had the pause on 2.7.x but do have it here. I have quite a slow
CPU and on Warp 4 only one core enabled. Displaying some pages pegs the
CPU meter for longer then it should and the browser is blocked until the
page loads.
Dave


_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SeaMonkey 2.14 - crash when starting email

Andreas Buchinger
Dave Yeo schrieb:

>> I do not see these missing glyphs here. Neither on website nor in email.
>> Maybe I visit only 'good' sites and do only have non problematic emails.
>> If you want me to test some sites or emails here send me the email or
>> link.
>
> Your message about 5 up in this thread that you sent with SM 2.15.1 on
> Windows shows the missing glyphs here (TB 17.11), most of the rest in
> the thread don't.
> It's a strange problem which I wonder if is related to mime type or
> encoding type. I take it you have the German language pack installed?

No problem here. Yes I am using the German language pack. View - Font
coding (?) - Westlich (ISO-8859-1) if it matters. I'm using fixed font
for email/news. Seems to be Courier 13.

Have you tried installing DE language pack too? Or does this have to do
with some base OS language/font installation?

Andi

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2