SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta Sign-Off

Siarhei-2
Hi all,

SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta is not available for sign-offs on l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org.

What changesets are used to build beta versions?

With best regards,

Siarhei

Re: SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta Sign-Off

Robert Kaiser
Siarhei schrieb:
> SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta is not available for sign-offs on
> l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org.

Sorry, I haven't come around to open sign-off yet, as I have been flying
to California yesterday and forgot to do it today until reading this
post. Doing this now.

> What changesets are used to build beta versions?

The ones that will be signed off on the dashboard. ;-)

And as this thread already has the correct subject for this:

Sign-offs for SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta 1 are now open on the dashboard!

Note that we'll only accept sign-offs of locales that are both green on
the dashboard and green on tinderbox and follow the rules for
searchplugins I layed out in this newsgroup.

Thanks for participating!

Robert Kaiser

--
Note that any statements of mine - no matter how passionate - are never
meant to be offensive but very often as food for thought or possible

Re: SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta Sign-Off

Rimas Kudelis-4
2010.10.03 08:06, Robert Kaiser rašė:

> Siarhei schrieb:
>> SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta is not available for sign-offs on
>> l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org.
>
> Sorry, I haven't come around to open sign-off yet, as I have been flying
> to California yesterday and forgot to do it today until reading this
> post. Doing this now.
>
>> What changesets are used to build beta versions?
>
> The ones that will be signed off on the dashboard. ;-)
>

> And as this thread already has the correct subject for this:
>
> Sign-offs for SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta 1 are now open on the dashboard!
>

> Note that we'll only accept sign-offs of locales that are both green on
> the dashboard and green on tinderbox and follow the rules for
> searchplugins I layed out in this newsgroup.

What if my locale is not green on purpose? I know exactly what
strings/files I'm missing, but I still want to participate in the beta.

Rimas

Re: SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta Sign-Off

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
Robert Kaiser escribió:
> And as this thread already has the correct subject for this:
>
> Sign-offs for SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta 1 are now open on the dashboard!

I'm unable to find the deadline for signing-off (sorry if it has been
already posted). So, what is it? :-)

TIA

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez schrieb:
> Robert Kaiser escribió:
>> And as this thread already has the correct subject for this:
>>
>> Sign-offs for SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta 1 are now open on the dashboard!
>

> I'm unable to find the deadline for signing-off (sorry if it has been
> already posted). So, what is it? :-)

When we start builds, which is Wednesday morning at the earliest. Code
freeze is Tuesday 23:59 PDT, so you can be sure to be in if you're ready
by then. After that, you might be lucky or not. ;-)

Robert Kaiser

Rimas Kudelis schrieb:
> 2010.10.03 08:06, Robert Kaiser rašė:
>> Note that we'll only accept sign-offs of locales that are both green on
>> the dashboard and green on tinderbox and follow the rules for
>> searchplugins I layed out in this newsgroup.
>
> What if my locale is not green on purpose? I know exactly what
> strings/files I'm missing, but I still want to participate in the beta.

If help is broken on dashboard, that's one thing I won't care about. As
for anything else, we're not sure yet if we will turn on L10n merge on
the builds, and if we don't, we can only accept is the strings are present.
That said, even if we turn on L10n merge, green tinderbox and
searchplugin compliance is required in any case.

Robert Kaiser

2010.10.03 20:05, Robert Kaiser rašė:

> Rimas Kudelis schrieb:
>> 2010.10.03 08:06, Robert Kaiser rašė:
>>> Note that we'll only accept sign-offs of locales that are both green on
>>> the dashboard and green on tinderbox and follow the rules for
>>> searchplugins I layed out in this newsgroup.
>>
>> What if my locale is not green on purpose? I know exactly what
>> strings/files I'm missing, but I still want to participate in the beta.
>
> If help is broken on dashboard, that's one thing I won't care about. As
> for anything else, we're not sure yet if we will turn on L10n merge on
> the builds, and if we don't, we can only accept is the strings are present.
> That said, even if we turn on L10n merge, green tinderbox and
> searchplugin compliance is required in any case.

AFAIK if tinderbox were green, you wouldn't need l10n-merge.

I have just signed off a revision with three missing strings (not
counting help files). They're missing because I don't know how to
translate them and I don't want to forget about them. As far as I'm
concerned, my locale is beta-ready.

Rimas

Rimas Kudelis schrieb:
> AFAIK if tinderbox were green, you wouldn't need l10n-merge.

Some things are caught by tinderbox that are not caught by the L10n
dashboard, so we need both to ensure this. And I think that tinderbox
actually is green on L10n-merged builds that wouldn't have succeeded
without doing the merge.

> I have just signed off a revision with three missing strings (not
> counting help files). They're missing because I don't know how to
> translate them and I don't want to forget about them. As far as I'm
> concerned, my locale is beta-ready.

OK, if we'll do merge, I'll accept it, if we don't, I can't.

Robert Kaiser

--
Note that any statements of mine - no matter how passionate - are never
meant to be offensive but very often as food for thought or possible
arguments that we as a community needs answers to. And most of the time,
I even appreciate irony and fun! :)

Re: SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta Sign-Off

Axel Hecht
On 04.10.10 22:14, Rimas Kudelis wrote:

> 2010.10.03 20:05, Robert Kaiser rašė:
>> Rimas Kudelis schrieb:
>>>
>>> What if my locale is not green on purpose? I know exactly what
>>> strings/files I'm missing, but I still want to participate in the beta.
>>
>> If help is broken on dashboard, that's one thing I won't care about. As
>> for anything else, we're not sure yet if we will turn on L10n merge on
>> the builds, and if we don't, we can only accept is the strings are present.
>> That said, even if we turn on L10n merge, green tinderbox and
>> searchplugin compliance is required in any case.
>
> AFAIK if tinderbox were green, you wouldn't need l10n-merge.
>
> I have just signed off a revision with three missing strings (not
> counting help files). They're missing because I don't know how to
> translate them and I don't want to forget about them. As far as I'm
> concerned, my locale is beta-ready.

There's a technical pitfall here. The code that decides what to do in a
particular build is different for release and for nightly builds (and
for depend builds). In the case of depend and nightly, the two are
rather close. Release builds on the other hand are rather different.

Now, changing release builds is scary, and one of the differences is
that release builds used to not support l10n-merge.

Here's the historic run-down:

- no builds did l10n-merge
- fx nightlies/dep did l10n-merge, but not release
- fennec nightlies/dep added, with l10n-merge
- fennec release added with optional l10n-merge
- optional l10n-merge back-ported to fx

Not sure how the release infrastructure on top of comm-central interacts
with that timeline. In some aspects, they're ahead of the fx/fennec
game, in some aspects they're not.

Axel

Axel Hecht schrieb:
> Not sure how the release infrastructure on top of comm-central interacts
> with that timeline. In some aspects, they're ahead of the fx/fennec
> game, in some aspects they're not.

Theoretically, l10n-merge for release (read "beta") should (optionally)
work for our infrastructure just as well as for Firefox. But then, we
don't have staging equipment, at least on the SeaMonkey side, and we
never have tested it, so I'm a bot unsure as to using this release as a
testbed or not, esp. given that I'm possibly short on time - after all,
I'm not here at Mozilla headquarters to spend my time testing release
infrastructure and chasing its subtle bugs...

Robert Kaiser

--
Note that any statements of mine - no matter how passionate - are never
meant to be offensive but very often as food for thought or possible
arguments that we as a community needs answers to. And most of the time,
I even appreciate irony and fun! :)

Re: SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta Sign-Off

Rimas Kudelis
2010.10.05 00:54, Robert Kaiser rašė:
> Rimas Kudelis schrieb:
>> AFAIK if tinderbox were green, you wouldn't need l10n-merge.
>
> Some things are caught by tinderbox that are not caught by the L10n
> dashboard, so we need both to ensure this. And I think that tinderbox
> actually is green on L10n-merged builds that wouldn't have succeeded
> without doing the merge.

Whoops, I forgot that we actually have tinderboxes... :) Up until now, I
thought that green tinderbox actually meant green dashboard, which is
obviously not the case...

My bad, sorry.

Rimas

Re: SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta Sign-Off

Robert Kaiser
Hi all,

Note that you need to sign off on the dashboard to be included in 2.1
Beta 1 - we haven't started yet, so you still have a chance, but we'll
probably cut off this release and start tagging/building very soon, as
we have no blockers left!

BTW, I decided to turn l10n-merge on as toolkit is still landing
strings, I just hope it works OK for a release on our side as well.

Robert Kaiser

Re: SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta Sign-Off

Robert Kaiser
Hi all,

I'm going through the sign-off requests now to start builds, and here's
my report:

be: denied, red tinderbox, searchplugins/list.txt needs update.
de: accepted.
es-ES: accepted.
fr: accepted for now, please remove google and creativecommons plugins
     from the L10n repo or you'll be denied next time.
lt: accepted.
nb-NO: accepted.
ru: accepted.
sk: accepted, but violates the rule of only 5 engines per locale and of
     not having Firefox-specific tags in the added engines. Will be
     denied in this state the next time unless we can clarify if those
     are allowed. Please contact me with an explanation.

Would possibly be acceptable but didn't sign off:
es-AR

No sign-off, red tinderbox or no further check:
ca, cs, en-GB, gl, hu, it, ja/ja-JP-mac, ka, nl, pl, pt-BR, pt-PT, ro,
si, sv-SE, tr, zh-CN

This will leave us shipping with 7 locales in addition to the default
en-US builds.

Thanks for your work and I hope I see more of you on board for the
second (and probably last) beta!

Robert Kaiser

Re: SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta Sign-Off

Cédric Corazza
Le 07/10/2010 20:31, Robert Kaiser a écrit :

> fr: accepted for now, please remove google and creativecommons plugins

Searchplugins removed from fr Suite:
http://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/fr/rev/eb2205c893da

Cédric

Cédric Corazza schrieb:
> Le 07/10/2010 20:31, Robert Kaiser a écrit :
>
>> fr: accepted for now, please remove google and creativecommons plugins
>
> Searchplugins removed from fr Suite:
> http://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/fr/rev/eb2205c893da

Thanks!

I'll still and go with the previously accepted revision, but this is
good for the next beta. :)

Robert